ALA Council

View Only
last person joined: 2 months ago 

• 1.  TAG

Posted Jun 25, 2022 09:47 AM

Posting this on behalf of Patricia Glass Schuman

Some thoughts on what I think is a dangerous and undemocratic proposal 

As ALA President and Treasurer I spent more than 8 years on the Exec Board. This change will increase the workload of the Board tremendously ( Re hearing and acting on committee reports, planning and budget etc) and require many more meetings - a tremendous personal time and institutional fiscal cost. 

Also -in terms of representation when was the last time a Library Trustee or Friend was on the Board?

Is there any kind of transition plan? In a time of fiscal difficulties do we know the real financial implications?

Does this plan really make either body more representative? Do we have a current analysis that justifies cutting out Council members elected at large? These are usually elected by thousands of members, while votes for division and round table councilors are in the hundreds. I suspect the same is true of Chapters. 

What is this change actually accomplishing except to put power in the hands of fewer people?

Patricia Glass Schuman

Past ALA Treasurer

Past ALA President

------------------------------
    Sara Dallas
    Director
    Southern Adirondack Library System
    She/Her/Hers

• 2.  RE: TAG

Posted Jun 25, 2022 09:51 AM
    Patricia,
    I begin my service on the ALA Executive Board at the end of ALA Annual 2022.  I am an elected trustee sitting on the Albany Public Library (Albany NY).  I believe Karen Schneider also serves (served) as a trustee/commissioner for a public library in California.

Respectfully
    Sara D.

Sara Dallas
    Director
    Southern Adirondack Library System
    She/Her/Hers

• 3.  RE: TAG

Posted Jun 25, 2022 10:42 AM
    Sara is correct. I am wrapping up my fourth and final year as an appointed library commissioner for our local county library, so I have served in this capacity the entire time I have been on the Board.  

Regarding financial analysis, there has been extensive and thorough analysis through the Forward Together Fiscal Analysis Working Group, and subsequent analysis for TAG as well. This has been reported to Council. 

Karen G. Schneider
    ALA Executive Board, 2019-2022