ALA Council

View Only
last person joined: 3 months ago 

• 1.  Restructure of ALA Council Meetings: Ideas

Posted Jun 26, 2022 10:04 AM

I voted in favor of CD #56, but I think that we have more work to do in order to make council meetings productive and functional. Forum was developed to give people an opportunity to learn about what was going on and to work through debates on resolutions prior to the formal council meetings to increase understanding.  This intent was good and useful, but it evolved into something else. I would like to share some of my ideas for improving ALA Council meetings.

My term on ALA Council began in 2020, and I attended the first ALA Council meetings in-person, then on Zoom throughout the pandemic, and back in-person this time. I attended all of the Council Forums my first time, some of the online ones, and none during this conference. I think that we can build in opportunities for more interaction during the actual council meetings instead of holding the forums. For example, we could include time for people to talk in partners or small groups prior to discussing resolutions, to give people the opportunity to think through their responses or questions before going to the mic to speak. This would also allow people to interact with each other, get to know members, and feel more connected. We could also hold networking sessions that allow people who are interested in similar issues to connect and work on resolutions that are not being brought forward through a committee. A problem with the ALA Council meetings is that they are so wrapped up in parliamentary procedure, a lot of time is wasted and voices are silenced. There are various schools of thought on Robert's Rules, and whether or not it reinforces a culture that is rooted in white supremacy and racism. I understand that we need to have a procedure to make the meetings efficient and productive, but perhaps it's time to revisit and maybe create a modified version of Robert's Rules that apply to ALA Council meetings so that we do not have to spend so much time on procedure and can spend more time making progress. If ALA Council is to continue to be decision making body, I would like to see a complete overhaul of the council process and meetings. I have not found it to be very productive during the 3 years that I have served, and I have found myself withdrawing from participating because many of the resolutions, make great statements, are not action-oriented. 

This is my last set of Council meetings and I look forward to seeing the progress that ALA Council is able to make in the coming years. I hope to be involved again in the future in some capacity.

Lucy Wittkower, Virginia Chapter Councilor

------------------------------
    Lucinda Wittkower
    Head of Teaching & Learning Initiatives
    Old Dominion University Libraries
    She/Her/Hers

• 2.  RE: Restructure of ALA Council Meetings: Ideas

Posted Jun 26, 2022 10:30 AM
    I agree.  I feel that if there is a need for something like Forum, then maybe that should be mandatory.  The idea that fewer than half of the council would debate things and clarify things without addressing it in the actual Council Sessions is problematic.  But I also understand the need for it---and I, too, hate ALA Connect.  I'm getting used to it, but there is something about it that my brain find chaotic--no idea why.

If we had more virtual meetings throughout the year--a reasonable amount--then we could do this kind of work within the structure of our formal meetings.  We could make "bite-sized" agendas where we have scheduled a meeting for an hour to specifically focus on debating and/or wordsmithing a specific resolution--maybe two resolutions.   There are still some things that could just stay in MW and AC, e.g. certain reports, memorials, etc.  And we could even call special meetings if there is something pressing that needs to be addressed, as long as there is sufficient notice.

Sonnet Ireland
    Library Director
    She/Her/Hers

• 3.  RE: Restructure of ALA Council Meetings: Ideas

Posted Jun 26, 2022 11:03 AM
    I agree with much of your comments, Lucinda and Sonnet. Similar comments have popped up in the TAG discussions and in other places. What I'm struggling with is how we can advocate for or move for revision in Council meeting frequency? Is this through EB, COO, a resolution, something else?

Thanks,
    =Harriet

• 4.  RE: Restructure of ALA Council Meetings: Ideas

Posted Jun 26, 2022 05:46 PM
    I too agree with these comments.  The reason I voted for the resolution is that it has evolved to something that I felt was against ALA Core Values and not ethical based on what I witnessed my first year as a councilor.  I would be in favor of a structured, moderated following all guidelines re: ethics and core values forum.   I cannot remember the name of the councilor who commented that she found forum unethical very interesting because I never thought of how that line can be and has been crossed.  I voted ending council forum due to what I personally have witnessed in regards to comments that were inappropriate, abusive a language as well as discriminated.  That evolution happens when there is no structure or accountability held.  I would love the ability to hear from more members outside of council, but there needs to be structure and accountability.  I would gladly second a resolution for COO or the appropriate committee to evaluate and present suggestions.

Kari R. Mitchell, MLIS

Sent from my iPhone
    Please excuse any typos

• 5.  RE: Restructure of ALA Council Meetings: Ideas

Posted Jun 26, 2022 07:55 PM
    I'll admit that I abstained during a vote yesterday, but that was because I'm virtual… and there was one resolution with amendments that got very confusing for me by the time of the vote.  At that point, I was unsure of what exact aspect we were voting on, and it wasn't repeated nor was it on the screen. But I did email governance after the meeting to suggest keeping it on the screen and having it repeated verbally immediately before taking the vote, and that helped a lot (for me) with today's meeting.

Sonnet Ireland
    Library Director
    She/Her/Hers

• 6.  RE: Restructure of ALA Council Meetings: Ideas

Posted Jun 27, 2022 08:39 AM
    Oops... ended up in the wrong area, and I don't see a way to delete.  My apologies!

Sonnet Ireland
    Library Director
    She/Her/Hers

• 7.  RE: Restructure of ALA Council Meetings: Ideas

Posted Jun 26, 2022 10:26 PM
    The Council Orientation Committee has the charge to manage forum. I am the incoming chair of Orientation and I  stated at the microphone, following the vote, that the Committee will review that charge and look at ways we might bring councilors together outside of council meetings to discuss topics of important to council. 
    After the Committee has discussed, I expect to move the discussion to the council list on Connect.

In the meantime, everyone please send me your ideas for this caucus and any concerns you might have.

Jules Shore
    Councilor at Large

• 8.  RE: Restructure of ALA Council Meetings: Ideas

Posted Jun 27, 2022 06:22 AM
    Thanks, Jules! 

I heard that yesterday and it's great that you are encouraging people to do that and thinking about what the Orientation Committee can do outside of meetings. In addition to that I also encourage an open discussion about restructuring the council meetings themselves, and having an open dialogue about that among members to share ideas. Sharing ideas via Connect may be a good way to brainstorm and allow everyone's ideas to be heard without going through a filter. 

Lucy Wittkower, Virginia Chapter Councilor 

Sent from my iPhone

• 9.  RE: Restructure of ALA Council Meetings: Ideas

Posted Jun 27, 2022 07:26 AM
    Dear Councilors,

I wanted to assure you that you all that I have been following these threads closely and as I prepare to become president and chair of our body, I have been brainstorming with folks on how we can make council more interactive and add a fall and spring virtual meeting. 

There is precedent for suspending Robert's rules to do workshopping and discussion activities. As some may recall we did this with the early stages of SCOE during Jim Neal's presidency at a midwinter meeting. 

More information on a fall virtual meeting date and agenda will be forthcoming, well ahead of the date, and I look forward to continuing to evolve Council and how we do the work of our association together. 

I love all the brainstorming occurring. Keep it coming!

Lessa

• 10.  RE: Restructure of ALA Council Meetings: Ideas

Posted Jun 27, 2022 07:57 AM
    I am happy to hear this, Jules! You may want to reach out to Jim Neal who was involved with the start of forum to see what worked and what didn’t.

Kari R. Mitchell, MLIS

Sent from my iPhone
    Please excuse any typos