ALA Council

View Only
last person joined: 2 months ago 

• 1.  2022 Resolution in Support of Immigrant Rights

Posted Jun 27, 2022 10:36 AM
    Hi everyone.
    I'd like ODLOS to provide examples of "information tools that target, surveil, and exclude immigrants". Are there library vendors falling under that category?

I asked via Q&A before our vote, but my question was not addressed.

Thank you.
    --
    Madeline Peña Feliz

• 2.  RE: 2022 Resolution in Support of Immigrant Rights

Posted Jun 27, 2022 10:50 AM
    Good Morning Madeline,

I believe LexisNexis may be an example of a vendor enabling the targeting and surveilling of immigrants. I recently read a TechCrunch (June 2022) article that mentioned,

"Today the company states on its FAQ page for the contract that "Immigration and Customs Enforcement does not use the technology to track individuals that may have committed minor offenses. It is strictly used for identifying individuals with serious criminal backgrounds." In other words, it is ostensibly used to confirm that an individual does in fact have a real criminal record, something that would be a legal and ordinary barrier to immigration.

This stated purpose seems at odds with the enormous volume of searches being conducted by ICE, far beyond the highest imaginable numbers for serious criminal background checks. It also doesn't square with the fact that nearly a quarter of those 1.2 million queries were performed by the Enforcement and Removal Operations division, which as you might expect is responsible for deportations and raids. Since the data available includes "real time" information like phone use, it's certainly tactically useful for their needs."

Far from using LexisNexis strictly to check for those with "serious criminal backgrounds," ICE has been using it to perform searches in the millions.
    techcrunch.com
    Thank you, 
    Sam 

• 3.  RE: 2022 Resolution in Support of Immigrant Rights

Posted Jun 28, 2022 06:57 AM
    Thank you very much for sharing this, Sam.
    -Lee

Sent from my mobile device.