ALA Council

View Only
last person joined: 2 months ago 

• 1.  2022 Annual Conference Draft Agendas

Posted May 20, 2022 05:02 PM

Hello Councilors,

We are almost a month away from the 2022 Annual Conference in Washington, DC! I am pleased to share the draft Council Agendas that are now posted here: https://www.ala.org/aboutala/virtual-january-and-annual-conference-council-meetings  and attached to this message. Council documents will be posted starting the week of June 6th.  

Please note the meetings below that are optional, suggested and required:

Friday, June 24, 2022

• Council Forum I (Virtual)* @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 p.m. ET (Council attendance optional)

Saturday, June 25, 2022

• Council Orientation Session @ 9:00 am - 10:00 am ET (Council attendance suggested)
    •  ALA Information Session and Membership Meeting @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am ET (Council attendance suggested)
    • Council I Meeting (Hybrid)* @ 2:30 pm - 5:00 pm ET (Council attendance required)
    • Council Forum II (Virtual)* @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 p.m. ET (Council attendance optional)

Sunday, June 26, 2022

• Council II Meeting (Hybrid)*@ 9:00 am - 11:30 am ET (Council attendance required)
    • Council Forum III (Virtual)* @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm ET (Council attendance optional)

Monday, June 27, 2022

• Council III Meeting (Hybrid)* 9:00 am - 11:30 am ET (Council attendance required)
    • Eli Mina, ALA's Parliamentarian Farewell Celebration! (Council attendance optional)

*All hybrid and virtual meetings links are provided in the ALA Scheduler, once you have registered for the ALA Conference. For a complete listing of ALA Governance meetings, please click here

As a refresher, please visit the "Basic Guide to the ALA Council and Resources" page, where you will find "Tune in Tuesdays" sessions that feature, Resolutions Workshop; Council Committee Chars; and Who are We as an association.

Best,
    Marsha

------------------------------
    Marsha P. Burgess
    Council Secretariat
    American Library Association
    mburgess@ala.org
    (312) 280-3204

• 2.  RE: 2022 Annual Conference Draft Agendas

Posted Jun 10, 2022 01:09 PM
    Point of order.  I believe unfinished business is continued in the next meeting.  We have yet to discuss and vote on 
    Resolution related to Structure, Composition, Purpose, and Meetings of ALA Council, ALA CD#54
    It was on the March Virtual C Agenda
    NOW CD#54 has been reassigned 

What is the protocol here?

[Jennifer] [Boettcher]
    Business Reference Librarian
    boettcher@georgetown.edu
    (202) 687-7495
    @jenny.wombat

• 3.  RE: 2022 Annual Conference Draft Agendas

Posted Jun 12, 2022 10:16 AM
      |   view attached
    HI Jennifer, thanks for asking.
    Based on conversations with the parliamentarian, it was ruled:

Council has already addressed the contents of the previous CD#54 (which I have attached here for reference) during actions taken on CD 35b, Action item 3 under the TAG report during the March Meeting. In the previous CD#54 (as seen in the attachment)
    • Resolved clause 1 states that Council be a policy making body. During the March meeting, per CD 35b, Council voted to be Advisory. CD 35b, Action Item 3 Revised was APPROVED (83 yes; 50 no; 3 abstain)
    • Resolved clause 2 states virtual meetings to be held by AC 2022, which 1) this clause is now expired and no longer relevant; and 2) TAG held information sessions on structure and composition so technically this was done.
    As always, Councilors are encouraged to submit a resolution for the upcoming meetings - resolutions for virtual (and hybrid) meetings must be submitted via the web form at least 48 hours before the start of the meeting for Resolutions Committee review and being added to the agenda by our Council Secretariat.

Aaron W Dobbs (he/him)
    Library Support Staff Round Table, President, 2022 - 2023
    Library Support Staff Interests Round Table, President, 2021 - 2022
    ALA Council, Councilor for Small Round Tables, 2019 - 2022
    ALA Resolutions Committee, chair 2021 – 2022, member 2020 - 2022
    ALA Constitution & Bylaws Committee, member 2019 - 2023
    Round Table Member: GODORT, GNCRT, LearnRT, LHRT, LSSRT (formerly LSSIRT & SORT), MAGIRT, NMRT, RMRT
    Division Member: ACRL, Core (formerly LITA & LLAMA), RUSA, UNITED
    ---
    Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania
    Professor & Library Department Chair
    Scholarly Communication Librarian
    Librarian Liaison for Business
    Librarian Liaison for STEM
    ---
    Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculties
    Shippensburg University Chapter, President, 2022-2024; Vice President, 2016 - 2022
    ---
    Jeffrey W and Jo Anne R Coy Public Library of Shippensburg
    Board of Trustees, President 2022; Trustee 2019 - 2024

• 4.  RE: 2022 Annual Conference Draft Agendas

Posted Jun 12, 2022 11:11 AM
    The point of order can be addressed in open form to the presiding officer, the ALA President. It is premature to raise a point of order in this form and out of order to have anyone but the President respond.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: 2022 Annual Conference Draft Agendas

Posted Jun 12, 2022 11:42 AM

To the ALA Council and to Parliamentarian Eli Mina:

Regarding Jennifer Boettcher's original resolution CD#54Resolution related to Structure, Composition, Purpose, and Meetings of ALA Council, ALA CD#54:

If we cannot resolve this before Council as "already addressed" I will be the first person at the microphone with a Point of Order.

Our time is limited during Council  and we have many issues to request during Council.  My request is that this resolution not be on the agenda because the substance of this resolution was already addressed by TAG and the TAG report will be on the agenda≥

if you read her resolution (attached) it was already addressed and/or voted on via CD 35b, Action item 3 under Amy/TAG's report during the March Meeting.

Jennifer's resolved clause 1 states that Council be a policy making body. During the March meeting, per CD 35b Council voted to be AdvisoryCD 35b, Action Item 3 Revised was APPROVED (83 yes; 50 no; 3 abstain). 

Resolved clause 2 states virtual meetings to be held by AC 2022, which 1) this clause is now expired and not relevant; and 2) TAG already held information sessions on structure and composition so technically this was done.

• 6.  RE: 2022 Annual Conference Draft Agendas

Posted Jun 12, 2022 10:42 AM
    Was a registration link sent for the Council Fora? I do not remember receiving one for this conference.

Heather VanDyne
    Online Learning Librarian
    Fort Hays State University
    She/Her/Hers

• 7.  RE: 2022 Annual Conference Draft Agendas

Posted Jun 12, 2022 10:32 PM
    Looks like the Council Fora links are in the scheduler if you click through to the event. I've put them here.

Forum I
    Forum II
    Forum III

Jessamyn West
    Chapter Councilor - Vermont
    she/her