Evidence Synthesis Methods Interest Group

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Charge: To promote and develop competencies around evidence synthesis including systematic reviews, meta-analyses, scoping reviews, and other related methods of research synthesis, through activities such as: Facilitating discussion and peer-support; Creating and managing a resource page; Encouraging programming and publications around systematic reviews through ACRL.
Community members can post as a new Discussion or email ALA-acrlesmig@ConnectedCommunity.org
Before you post: please note job postings are prohibited on ALA Connect. Please see the Code of Conduct for more information.

Systematic Reviews for the Social Sciences - Training for Librarians

• 1.  Systematic Reviews for the Social Sciences - Training for Librarians

Posted Sep 22, 2022 04:31 PM
    Dear Colleagues, 
    I am a social sciences librarian at Rutgers University, where I support the School of Social Work, among other responsibilities.  The Social Work community has been increasingly interested in conducting systematic reviews, and I have been engaging in self-teaching and peer-to-peer learning in order to better support them.  I would like to also engage with some more formal training opportunities in systematic reviews. I've seen many training opportunities for librarians conducting systematic reviews in the health sciences, but not many  for librarians supporting systematic reviews in the social sciences. While I'm planning on looking into the existing health science training options, I was wondering if anyone has encountered any  courses or trainings specifically for librarians supporting systematic reviews in the social sciences? Thanks very much in advance for your help! 
    - Julia

------------------------------
    Julia Maxwell
    Librarian / Assistant Professor
    Rutgers University
    She/Her/Hers

• 2.  RE: Systematic Reviews for the Social Sciences - Training for Librarians

Posted Sep 23, 2022 06:59 AM
    You might find the Campbell Collaboration training materials helpful.

Kris Alpi

• 3.  RE: Systematic Reviews for the Social Sciences - Training for Librarians

Posted Sep 23, 2022 12:53 PM
    Edited by Julia Maxwell Sep 23, 2022 12:52 PM
    Thank you, Kris! :)

Julia Maxwell
    Rutgers University
    She/Her/Hers

• 4.  RE: Systematic Reviews for the Social Sciences - Training for Librarians

Posted Sep 23, 2022 08:15 AM
    Julia,

University of Minnesota runs a training  institute for SRs outside the health sciences

Best,
    Laurel

--
    Laurel Scheinfeld MLS, AHIP-D
    Library Liaison to the School of Social Welfare, School of Dental Medicine, LI State Veterans Home and Center for Medical Humanities, Compassionate Care & Bioethics
    Health Sciences Librarian
    Health Sciences Library
    Stony Brook University 
    Health Sciences Tower, Level 3, Rm 136
    Stony Brook, NY 11794-8034
    631-444-3095
    she/her/hers
    "Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day." Sally Koch

• 5.  RE: Systematic Reviews for the Social Sciences - Training for Librarians

Posted Sep 23, 2022 08:54 AM

Hi, Julia.

I attend the Evidence Synthesis Institute training hosted by social science librarians this past August. It was fantastic! I'm not sure when they'll be reopening the application process, but keep an eye out. I had a one-day training years ago, but it was from the health sciences perspective. I had been reading up since then, but attending the ESI really grounded me in the social sciences and helped me connect with a pocket of librarians with whom I think I can lean on as SR business ramps up in my world.

Best,

Anita

Anita Kuiken, MSLIS, AHIP (queue-ken)
    (Pronouns: she/her/hers)
    Librarian for Falk College of Sport & Human Dynamics
    Research Impact Team
    Syracuse University Libraries
    Tel: 315-443-9766

akuiken@syr.edu
    LinkedIn

Need help with research? Find library content from these research guides in the areas I support: Exercise Science | Food Studies | Human Development & Family Science | Marriage & Family Therapy | Nutrition Science & Dietetics | Public Health | Social Work | Sport Management | Aging Studies l Stabler Running Collection

130 Sims Dr., Syracuse, NY 13244
    library.syr.edu

Syracuse University

• 6.  RE: Systematic Reviews for the Social Sciences - Training for Librarians

Posted Sep 23, 2022 09:31 AM

Hi Julia,

There is the University of Minnesota's  evidence synthesis  institute .

Evidence Synthesis Institute | University of Minnesota Libraries (umn.edu)

Thanks !

Marlowe

Marlowe Bogino, MSLS

Clinical and Reference Librarian

CMSRU Library of  Rowan University

Bogino-Marlowe@cooperhealth.edu

bogino@rowan.edu

ORCID ID

https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2254-7619

• 7.  RE: Systematic Reviews for the Social Sciences - Training for Librarians

Posted Sep 23, 2022 10:44 AM
    FYI, the next Evidence Synthesis Institute will be held in March 2023. We'll start accepting applications in late December or early January and will announce on this listserv when that opens up!
    Megan Kocher

• 8.  RE: Systematic Reviews for the Social Sciences - Training for Librarians

Posted Sep 23, 2022 12:54 PM
    Thank you, Megan! I will definitely be applying :) What a fantastic opportunity!

Julia Maxwell
    Rutgers University
    She/Her/Hers

• 9.  RE: Systematic Reviews for the Social Sciences - Training for Librarians

Posted Sep 23, 2022 12:57 PM
    Thanks everyone for your fantastic suggestions! I will be looking into them.  Have a great upcoming weekend!

Julia Maxwell
    Rutgers University
    She/Her/Hers

• 10.  RE: Systematic Reviews for the Social Sciences - Training for Librarians

Posted Jan 08, 2023 09:03 PM
    Dear Colleagues,
    Happy New Year! 
    I just wanted to follow up on this email to share a LibGuide I've been developing that might be helpful to those also supporting evidence synthesis in the social sciences. It's based on the excellent work of many other academic libraries and librarians, and from the conversations I've had with many of you! Thank you again for your contributions to my initial request!

Julia Maxwell
    Librarian/Faculty
    Rutgers University
    She/Her/Hers