Universal Accessibility Interest Group

View Only
last person joined: 9 days ago 

Charge: Offers librarians, support staff, students, and other advocates networking and collaboration opportunities, information sharing and programming to promote accessibility in academic libraries, including web accessibility, assistive technology, reference and instruction for users with disabilities and captioning processes.
Community members can post as a new Discussion or email ALA-acrluaig@ConnectedCommunity.org
Before you post: please note job postings are prohibited on ALA Connect. Please see the Code of Conduct for more information.

Introductions and Free Design Conference All Day Today ID24

• 1.  Introductions and Free Design Conference All Day Today ID24

Posted Sep 22, 2022 09:27 AM
    My name is Rebecca Albrecht Oling and I am the Director of Digital Accessibility at Purchase College, SUNY. Mine is a relatively new position (2018) though I have worked at Purchase College Library since 2002. I proposed a change to my duties from more traditional reference and instruction to one that leverages our content to increase accessibility in our courses (though I pinch hit in the traditional places when needed). I work closely with faculty to assess their course content (aided by Blackboard A11y tool), remediate the worst problems that can't benefit from a  born-digital version, and work on instructional design issues in the hopes of making their courses more "universal". As a traditional librarian, I also do collection development, informed by the accessibility needs when possible. I have secured a relationship with our local library system that benefits everyone at our college (we didn't collect audiobooks, for example). And I work with vendors on continually improving accessibility. I also work within SUNY to help ensure others have the tools to integrate some of these practices.  With that, SUNY's Library Accessibility cohort published a Library Procurement Toolkit you might find helpful in your work. Contact me with any questions to get access to our repository of VPAT reviews.

I've long had an interest in making our collections and courses more universal and I've had some success over the years, despite being a relatively solo operation. I recently got my CPACC from the International Association of Accessibility Professionals.  I'm currently looking at trends for Higher Ed libraries.

Please participate in my informal AND SHORT survey!

I wanted to alert you to a wonderful free online conference today ID24. It is an Inclusive Design Conference and it is 24 hours so hop in or look at videos from that main YouTube channel as you see fit. 

Looking forward to work with and learning from you all!

Rebecca

--

Rebecca Albrecht Oling She/Her/Hers

Director of Digital Accessibility
    Purchase College Library
    735 Anderson Hill Road
    Purchase, NY 10577
    tel. 914-251-6417
    fax 914-251-6437

rebecca.oling@purchase.edu

------------------------------
    Rebecca Oling