ACRL Assessment Discussion Group

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Charge: To provide a forum for assessment librarians – and those with responsibility for, and interest in, library assessment – to discuss methods, training, results, impact, institutional needs and challenges, and seek solutions to common problems faced by the library assessment community.
Community members can post as a new Discussion or email ALA-acrlassessdg@ConnectedCommunity.org
Before you post: please note job postings are prohibited on ALA Connect. Please see the Code of Conduct for more information.
  • 1.  examples of library assessment philosophies/frameworks

Posted Aug 25, 2022 11:27 AM
    Edited by Megan Hodge Aug 25, 2022 11:27 AM
    Hi, colleagues,

Our library will soon begin drafting an assessment philosophy/framework. We intend for this framework to guide the overall scope of and approach to assessment at our library.

If your library has such a document/statement and you're willing to share it (or you're aware of a publicly available exemplar from another library), I'd love to see it!

Thanks for considering!

Megan

------------------------------
    Megan Hodge
    Head, Student Success
    Virginia Commonwealth University
    mlhodge@vcu.edu
    She/Her/Hers

• 2.  RE: examples of library assessment philosophies/frameworks

Posted Sep 01, 2022 09:45 AM
    Hi Megan, I'm on a sabbatical working out the same questions you are, but my focus is on collections, and the framework I am using is very specific to that area. The answers to your questions may differ depending on what you are hoping to assess.

Good luck!

Alice Pearman
    Collection Management Librarian
    Plymouth State University
    She/Her/Hers

• 3.  RE: examples of library assessment philosophies/frameworks

Posted Sep 01, 2022 10:53 AM
    Thanks, Alice! Our framework/philosophy is intended to guide and inform all of my library's assessment efforts - collections, student learning, user satisfaction, program evaluation, etc. Example documents addressing any or all of those areas are welcome!

Megan
    ---
    Megan Hodge (she/her) | pronounce
    Head, Student Success
    VCU Libraries | Virginia Commonwealth University

• 4.  RE: examples of library assessment philosophies/frameworks

Posted Sep 01, 2022 01:02 PM
    Gotcha! For collections assessment, I read about a few frameworks in Madeline Kelly's The Complete Collections Assessment Manual, and decided to use the one outlined by Borin and Yi for general collection assessment: https://doi.org/10.1108/01604950810913698

Alice Pearman, She/Her/Hers
    Collection Management Librarian
    Plymouth State University
    Plymouth, NH