ACRL EBSS Scholarly Communication Committee (Education and Behavioral Sciences Section)

EBSS Scholarly Communication Minutes, Annual 2017 

Jul 07, 2017 11:39 AM

EBSS Scholarly Communication ALA Annual Meeting Minutes 2017
Monday June 19, 2017, 12:00-1:30pm EST
Mode: Google Hangout
Convener: Ericka Raber
Minute taker: Mandy Havert


Members Present: Yu-Hui Chen, Mandy Havert, Janelle Hedstrom, Brian Quinn, Margaret Phillips, Ericka Raber (Chair)


Excused: Heather Coates, Christine King, Li Ma,


Institution Updates – Each member provided a brief update on scholarly communication at their institution. Details recorded and distributed to members separately. Common themes: OERs, liaison responsibilities for SC topics.


Scholarly Communications Committee Libguide
Draft privately published: http://acrl.libguides.com/ebss/scc. We can use this space to track and share info from our OA email push last fall. Pages are currently arranged by fall 2016 email topics.


Action Items: Janelle will add Open Data email, reorganize opening page to be more about work of committee, and share with committee for feedback. Ericka will request guide access for Mandy Havert, incoming Chair.


Fall OA Topics Email Push


Committee agreed to do a fall 2017 push in October. Topic ideas and committee member:



  1. OERs – Mandy: General overview of OERs and costs in adopting them and using them. What are those costs and how can best practices be adapted? Maybe Finding and evaluating OER Materials, too.

  2. OA Journals in Psychology – Maragaret

  3. Archive your stuff / Raise your visibility – Janelle: Keeping your copyright; institutional repositories. How to have conversations with faculty about archiving pre and post prints, why this is important, and what the value is in sharing.

  4. Evaluating OA Journals – ?


Action Items: Mandy will work on OER email. Janelle will develop copyright/archive email. Margaret will develop list of OA journals in psychology.Ericka will forward information to the Committee about OA journal review.


Outreach to publishers, foundations, organizations


Draft list of orgs can be found here. Discussed idea of doing an environmental scan of sorts: what are these orgs doing related to OA, SC topics? Do they have SC-related committees?


Action Item: Brian will add Social Work associations to list. No other action at this time.


ACRL EBSS Annual Report – Ericka presented committee updates for the EBSS report.


Action Item: Ericka will make suggested changes to the report and submit it to EBSS.


Committee Transition – Mandy Havert will assume Chair following ALA Annual. Thanks to members and chair.


Meeting adjourned 1:00


#GeneralNewsandDiscussion

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Views
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.