Copy of email I sent to various lists.
I am writing to invite your participation in the American Library Association’s Diversity Member Initiated Group (MIG).
In January 2015, ALA President Courtney Young discussed the Diversity MIG and its creation as a way for us, professionals and students alike, to carry on diversity as “everyone’s work” (http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/2015/01/15/everyones-work/). The mission of the Diversity MIG is to provide an informal, member-driven space that supports efforts for diversity, equity and inclusion. As such, it supports the work of the ALA Office for Diversity, the ALA Committee on Diversity, and the Task Force on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
From the Diversity MIG’s ALA Connect space:
This member interest group provides an organizational home for members dedicated to fostering an improved climate for diversity within their institutions and professional organizations.
The mission of the Diversity Membership Initiative Group is:
- To provide a space for success stories and best practices and broadly highlight examples of activities that have improved services and fostered organizational change.
- To provide a community of practice for members to discuss ideas, concepts, and methods to positively impact library services to increasingly diverse populations.
- To provide a base for deepening our discussion and collective understanding of diversity and inclusion issues across our professional organizations.
• Collecting success stories for the ALA website
• Launching a Journal Club
• Identifying training topics and facilitators to enhance ALA's online learning offerings
• Connecting members around topics of mutual interest for publishing and presenting
• Identifying best practices from member organizations and implementing them elsewhere
• Supporting efforts to make ALA welcoming
• Providing feedback to the ALA Council Committee on Diversity and the Special Presidential Task Force on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Please join us at: http://connect.ala.org/node/229994. I so look forward to your participation in the discussion boards!
Should you have any questions about the ALA Diversity MIG, please do not hesitate to contact me, through whatever means you feel most comfortable. My contact information is provided below.
All the best,
Melissa I. Cardenas-Dow, MLIS
ALA Diversity Membership Initiative Group, Co-chair, 2014-2016
Google Hangout: melissa.cardenasdow
MiscEtcetera blog: http://wp.me/1SJSQ