Dear Mike and Outgoing Resolutions Committee Members.
I can't thank you enough for your support during a few years I got to interact with you.
Your wisdom and kind support are greatly appreciated.
And I welcome you, Aaron!
Thank you also to all the Resolutions Committee members!
Head of Cataloging
University of Tennessee Libraries
Sent: Jun 28, 2021 12:40 PM
From: Mike Marlin
Subject: Council 1 Farewell Resolution from the RC Chair
Here is the full text if anyone would like to read it. Thanks again for the the honor of serving.
Resolution to Express Sentiments of Gratitude by the Outgoing Resolutions Committee Chair
Whereas the 2020-21 Resolutions Committee provided guidance for the inclusion within resolutions of references, accepted resolutions 24/7/365 and, judiciously applied the 48 hour rule;
Whereas the 2020-21 Resolutions Committee gracefully grappled with Forward Together resolutions as they landed upon us with lightning speed;
Whereas my role as Chair of the Resolutions Committee will end at the conclusion of the 2021 virtual ALA Annual Conference;
Whereas the fate of the Resolutions Committee is unknown, but it will remain intact for at least the next day and a half and probably for another year, maybe two;
Whereas I invoke preemtive passage and adoption of this resolution by my own acclamation, all other acclamation being voluntary;
Resolved, that the 202-2021 Chair of the American Library Association (ALA) Resolutions Committee,, on behalf of himself:
- Thanks his colleagues on the Resolutions Committee for their hard work, thoughtful deliberation, and feedback over the past year;
- Bids farewell to retiring committee members
- Marianne S. Hanley
- Mary L. Hastler
- Jos N. Holman
- Sara Kelly Johns (although she is returning for a second two year term)
- Lynda M. Kellam, and
- Dr. Jennifer E. Steele
- offers thanks and praise to the committee's inimitable liaison and Council Secretariat Marsha P. Burgess;
- welcomes new members coming on to the resolutions committee for the 2021-23 term;
- congratulates incoming Resolutions Committee chair Aaron Dobbs and turns over all resolutions Committee archival materials (both official and top secret) to him; and
- extends his gratitude and honor to have served for the past two years to help facilitate and shepherd member and Councilor resolutions of all stripes for consideration before the ALA governing body.
Mike L. Marlin
Director, California Braille and Talking Book Library
ALA Councilor at Large
Mobile: (916) 243-9778