VRT (Video Round Table) RoundTable
VRT Executive Board Meeting, ALA Midwinter, Seattle, WA
January 28, 2013
Attendees: Elizabeth Myers, Tracy Montri, Scott Spicer (chair), Brian Boling, Shelly McCoy. Tom Ipri, Anthony Anderson,
Kevin Reynolds, Julia Churchill, Howard Besser, Mary Aagard. and another gentleman George IFLA rep, another lady, and Michael Miller
is our new rep. for IFLA
Treasurers Report: 22343 in our account, 6400 working budget
Program Report –Elizabeth Myers:
Program for annual: Diversity in film, how Hollywood portrays, and how/if it has changed. Speakers: ASCLA speaker talking about
physical disabilities (they want to co-sponsor), someone from Black Caucus and someone from GLBRT --the chair of that offered with
funding, but we said not necessary (but we’ll put them as a co-sponsor). Jane Sloan worked on a bibliography on diversity in film and
cinema from ACRL and THIBS (theater...) group, so we should use that. Howard suggested putting some of these films on ALA's Now
Showing movie schedule and then tie into program to advertise our session and put fliers there. Howard suggested a local to Chicago
film maker that has diversity in his films as a speaker as well. Scott suggested SSRT if we needed another speaker, but we can also think
about promoting to this audience. Howard said we should be able to get something in AL preview for annual, but deadline is end of Feb.
He also suggested to invite vendors who have products in this area to have displays in the back for the program.
Gala Report – Monique sent to Scott:
Monique Threatt, chair, is now working on setting up a Gala and she will be helping Steve Brantley. Scott read a proposal to have Nancy
Watrous –director of chicago film archive (now located in the cultural center) as a presentor. There’s potential to have the Gala at the
Chicago Film Center, Siskel Center, Museum of Broadcasting. Howard suggested Facets as a location. Mary Kunkel was suggested as
someone to help with logistics. Howard suggested Video Databank, part of the chicago art institute, to involve in planning and perhaps
co-sponsor and volunteered to contact them. Anthony is working on contacts with vendors. We’ll have to get info on this to ALA by Feb.
to get on their schedule. Elizabeth also mentioned that the Midwest Tape party and the gala shouldn't be on the same night if possible.
Proposed Clarification [ Scott Spicer - Steve Brantley was Gala chair, Monique offered to assist, both were in active discussions. Due
to time constraints and other considerations, it was decided to skip the Gala for this year].
Communications Committee –Brian Boling:
Committee is looking into what we have to do to have virtual meetings. He did talk to people in NMRT on how they do their virtual
meetings. He put the call for nominations out on the Facebook page.
Website -- Steve Brantley not here, but Scott reported that we've officially moved away from the wiki.
Membership Committee -- Rhonda Rosen, chair, not present. Membership numbers ~520.
Scott reported ALA will add members automatically to VRT listserv. Scott hopes to send out a welcome email when this happens. Brian
following up with Danielle (our ALA staff) to see if this can happen.
Multimedia Production Discussion Group – Shelly McCoy:
The last discussion in December had over 75 people and included such topics as: Assessment of
multimedia literacy and workshops components, Maker Spaces versus Media Centers,
Involvement in Digital Humanities Initiatives on your Campus, Best Practices for staff-made videos (file types, storage options, etc.), and a "round robin" of what is new with each of our areas. A summary of the discussion is posted to the VRT part of ALA Connect.
Notables Committee -- Laura Jenemann, chair, not present, but Julia Churchill said they have the videos picked and there will be a press release, and Brian should post something to the Facebook page. Tracey reported 3 vacancies on the committee and Julia reported a possible co-chair setup or someone to be there to help current chair know what needs to happen. Best practices keep changing. They are working towards a streaming media setup for notables. Scott reported 3 people interested in the committee and since Julia is the next chair, he’ll send those names to her. Reminded of the wish to have a diverse group, library-wise, geographic-wise and the need to be at midwinter
Digital Media Discussion Group –Tracy Montri:
A large, mostly-academic group met yesterday along with a copyright attourney. There was a lively discussion. She proposing narrowing the topic of the discussion group and have it rotate on a two-year basis, such as Digital Licensing or Streaming Video DG.
By-laws –Steve Brantley, not present, nothing to report
Nominations – Tom Ipri:
There’s one nomination and one person on ballot. Laura Jennaman will be running unopposed for vice chair.
Copyright committee –Howard Besser:
Students in Media classes and faculty at universities allowed to make clip reels from commercial films -was extended for 3 more years. He'll send a copy of his notes.NYU released guidelines on what you can do to VHS to preserve it -it is available online.
IFLA report --Howard sent out that report.
NMRT –Brian Boling: he represented us and told people to come to this meeting
NYU received $800,000 grant from IMLS for 4 day-long workshops on audio/visual in libraries -3 in NY area and 4th in ALA Annual in Las Vegas. March workshop is on Disaster recovery for audio/video.
One idea for preconference workshop in Las Vegas was managing/preserving with copyright part of it and metadata part of it. File-making/file structure. Could bring in two people as speakers, travel and honorarium and would charge fee to cover part of it. 300 people expected to attend. Howard said that there isn't anything on the administrative side in terms of workshops. Scott said perhaps a program the next day. Maybe related gala as well.
Shelly’s idea: Could we work together with GIS DG, VRT, and DH DG, Learning Commons DG to do a program related to a workshop on DH tools -using Media, Media Production --how about something on project management related to DH -how to get library content into student and faculty projects.
Mike gave an idea to include media production, facilities, digitizing content -intersection of use and including copyright.
Looking at VRT survey:
Outreach: goal to increase this between our organization and others
Education: people do not have audio/visual skillsets, how do we provide education?
Awareness/Advocacy -comes along with the other things, but raise profile with ALA. (Howard Besser met with 12 ARL directors).
Convergence as a good umbrella topic
How can we act as a conduit for discussion through the rest of ALA
Example, how can VRT get the 108 standards to rest of interested libraries.
Investigating if there's a role that we can take with other organizations. Howard gave 2 talks to two sections of PARS on Sat. --metadata outreach group and administrators group. Is there a way to document relationships like this?
Brian said that Tracey's DG could hit on these topics from the survey that people want the most. Tom suggested having a program on a topic and a follow-up discussion at the DG. Shelly could follow-up if applicable with multimedia production discussion group.
Suggested the first topic to be collection development in the streaming video realm.
Will need to talk to RUSA to see if they are looking at convergence about digital literacy, ed. theory and teaching and learning and using content. Developing digital learning objects.
Scott proposed we develop a simple website that lists a few prime media areas with relevant exemplar resources and our programming history in order to be more intentional about coverage.
VRT leadership handbook creation: Scott will touch base with Tom Ipri to create at least a basic outline of Chair responsibilities with dates this spring before 2013 ALA Annual. Scott and in-coming chair, Anthony Anderson, will meet to discuss chair responsibilities.
Kevin Reynold, ALA Executive Board Liaison to VRT Report:
Kevin is also liaison to NMRT and he said they have hybrid Exec. Meetings and use Google hangouts
•Advance registration as of Friday January 18 was 5519 compared (at 1 week out) to 4823 for Dallas (2012) and 5180 for San Diego (2011). [I reported on Saturday's registration numbers which were 10,363, compared to 9954 in Dallas and 10,713 in San Diego.]
•110 have registered for the “day of service” event. This event was proposed in Think Tank (Facebook), picked up and organized and marketed by members across the country, with Seattle-area coordination by Councilor Ann Crewdson.
•Inspired by the new OLOS toolkit on services to the homeless, members will be volunteering at Seattle homeless shelters.
•Increasing support for school libraries is a top Association advocacy priority. Between local budget cuts and the anticipated reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), the urgency has never been greater.
•A Task Force on School Libraries, with membership from most of the divisions, is currently working on plans for a campaign to increase public awareness of the value of school libraries
•Target audiences include parents and community members, educators and superintendants and national policy makers and elected officials.
•At annual conference, 28,000 ALA members signed an online petition to the white house in support of school libraries. This shows the power of ALA members when we all work together.
•Stay tuned for more information as the campaign gets underway this spring.
The Membership Committee has proposed that the ALA dues be tied to the consumer price index, with an annual review and approval by the ALA Executive Board. Both PLA and ACRL membership have adopted similar models within the last couple of years. The ALA dues proposal would result in small increases, which would take the place of larger increases, which has been the approach up till now.With an average CPI increase of 2-2 1/2 percent a year, this would translate into $2-3 per year on average for a regular member, and perhaps a $1 increase for students, retired, unemployed, etc.
These small increases would minimize the effect on members, while allowing the Association to maintain its efforts in areas such as advocacy, intellectual freedom, research, diversity and other programs.Any other increases beyond these CPI increases would have to be approved by the membership, as is currently the case. This proposal will be discussed by the ALA Council on Monday at Council II, and if approved, will be placed on the 2013 ballot. The last ALA dues increase was six years ago.
Digital Content Working Group
The DCWG has been very busy since the 2012 Annual Conference, working closely with ALA leadership and many units. Two reports have been released: Ebook Business Models for Public Libraries and a corresponding Scorecard, which provides framework for evaluating and comparing different business models. ALA has taken a more assertive position – PresidentMaureen Sullivan’s public statement protesting against Hachette’s price increase and the open letter to publishers that criticizes the inability to purchase some ebooks.
ALA delegations have met with publishers, theAssociation of American Publishers, and the Association of Authors’ Representatives. Meetingshave involved educating and advocating for library interests and laying the groundwork for future cooperation. ALA released a communications advocacy toolkit in November, which provides practical support for librarians to get op-eds or articles in their local newspaper and engage in other advocacy at the local level. A new Ebooks & Digital Content portal has been created on the ALA Transforming Libraries website
In 2013, the DCWG we will continue current effortswith publishers, but will also tackle other issues, such as self-publishing, publishers other than the Big Six, school libraries, accessibility and privacy. Work is underway in Seattle on specific priorities for 2013.
The group has heard from many ALA members and really appreciates the feedback and support.
Community Engagement Initiative
All around us, libraries of all types are discovering that as libraries look outward, they can make a dramatic difference in their communities.
Libraries that more actively engage with their communities discover new and innovative services, increase their relevance, and build deeper community support.
Last September, we announced the launch of a new national initiative called The Promise of Libraries Transforming Communities, a ground breaking partnership between ALA and the Harwood Institute of Public Innovation. Launched as a Presidential initiative and nowsupported through a grant from IMLS, the initiative’s goal is to provide thousands of libraries of all types with the tools and training they need to lead community engagement and innovation.Supporting the transformation of libraries is a strategic priority of the Association, and the transformation of the relationship of libraries to their communities is a key component of this process.
Over the course of the next six months, we will be creating and sharing programs, webinars, tools and other resources that will allow every library to begin using community engagement in their local communities. Our longer term goal is to see thousands of libraries if all types using tested tools and techniques to increase their relevance and impact.
A series of conversations at Midwinter are the next step. A number of conversations and presentations at Midwinter will introduce participants to the Harwood and other community engagement models.
At the same time, ALA has already begun to work on using the Harwood practices to transform the Association. Beginning at Midwinter, we will be undertaking a series of community conversations within the Association and the many “communities” that we represent. The goal of this effort will be innovation and the transformation of how we work and relate to each other as an Association. We hope you will become part of this initiative, and will be sharing information with you on a regular basisgoing forward.
New Diversity/OLOS Director
Michelle Harrell Washington will be joining ALA as the new Director of the Office for Diversity (OFD) and Office for Literacy and Outreach Services (OLOS). Michelle is coming to ALA from the Medical College of Wisconsin Libraries, has served as the Multicultural Services Librarian at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries.
15 by 15 Planned Giving Campaign
The goal of the 15X15 Campaign is $15 million in planned gifts by 2015. Since the launch of the campaign in June 2012, 10 people have joined the Legacy Society, bringing the total number of Legacy Society members to 37. To date, more than $3.09 million in gifts have been pledged
Planned giving is a great way to leave a permanent legacy by supporting programs that you care about. Gifts may be designated for ALA, divisions, round tables, offices or specific programs and projects. It’s a great way to make a permanent impact on the Association, libraries and the people we serve! For more information, visit the ALA web site or call ALA Development Director Kim Olsen Clark.
Scott brought up having wi-fi free in meeting rooms to have hybrid meetings would be great.
Submitted by Shelly McCoy, secretary
ALA VRT Executive Board Meeting, Monday, July 1, 2013, Chicago, IL
Present: Scott Spicer, Brian Boling, Tom Ipri, Anthony Anderson, Jeff Pearson, Student from Pratt, Matthew Hinders, Kelly Knight, Michael Miller, Steve Brantley, Julia Churchill, Howard Besser, Carleton Jackson, Laura Jenemann, Shelly McCoy, and Monique Threatt
Minutes: There was a clarification to the minutes for ALA Midwinter, which have now been updated online.
Treasurer's Report: Noted in meeting agenda (in Connect)
Guest Speaker: Although he wasn't able to be present, Kevin Reynolds, ALA executive board liaison to VRT was thanked by the board for his service. Jim Neil from Columbia will be our new liaison --Kevin's notes are attached to the meeting agenda (in Connect).Scott said that we need to ask Kevin for budget numbers since they were not part of the report.
Program committee: Elizabeth Myers, chair, not present. Others reported that the VRT program on Sat., "The more things change, the more they stay the same...or do they?" was well done, well attended, and was videotaped so look for that online in August (an announcement will be sent out when available). Transforming Performing Arts program was something VRT co-sponsored at least according to ALA, and was very good and well attended (Video and DH correlation).
Gala committee: We skipped the gala this year, but next year will be up for discussion (see: New Business) later in meeting. Steve Brantley mentioned that we talked in the past about working on it a year ahead (so working this year on 2015) and not scheduling every year, but maybe every other year.
Communications committee: Brian Bolings, chair, checked with Danielle (ALA staff) about VRT listserv and said that members are not always added (see: New Business). Also, went to roundtable mtg. and said that there's standards for brochures for that we should using and perhaps we should look at updating the brochure.
Web: Steve Brantley had no report.
Membership committee: Rohonda Rosen, chair, not present and no report
Multimedia Production DG: Shelly McCoy, chair reported 103 people are on the email discussion group. She is taking suggestions for better tools to use to have this discussion. Laura J. suggested moving it to a regular listserv and then just having moderated discussion.
Notables Committee: Laura Jenemann, past chair, gave report. She had difficulty getting feedback from ALA staff (Danielle), but she was able to go through ALA Washington office and get things to happen. She reported that the committee could be more diverse if they don't require in-person meetings -maybe once a month online discussions. There was discussion about listing actual cost of item and not PPR (institution price) for the notables list. Talked about maybe not listing price at all, so that it gets us out of the picture --consensus was to not include this. Cmte. makes the decision, it is our list of what to put on this list (not vendors). List wasn't printed in booklist this past year. Julia Churchill is new chair, Brian Boling and Wendy Higby members and will need another member. Quite a few people wanted to be on the committee and the chair is trying to keep it even with academic and public library representation.
Digital Media DG: Tracy Montri not present and no report.
Bylaws: Steve Brantley reported no changes
Nominations: Tom Ipri, chair, reported that for VRT Laura Jenemann is chair-elect and will be chair 2014-2015 and said for next year, after Vegas, Sec. and Treasurer terms are finished, so we'll need to start recruiting. Anthony Anderson is the in-coming VRT chair.
Anthony added new agenda item: difficulty for recruiting for chair-elect
ALA Copyright & Committee on Information Commons: Howard Besser provided general discussion about programs and noted attempt to create a Copyright Day. He also talked about some programs:
"Copyright in non-book media: a primer in..." There were 3 speakers and slides should be available. Almost all questions were about video, especially deteriorating video collections -rather than the art and music speakers.
In the PARS Preserv. Administrators IG -presentation by Brendan Butler who wrote the ACRL Fair Use Guidelines
ACRL had session on success stories for people who had used ACRLs Fair use code -Brendan Butler and Kevin Smith did presentation. These sessions were videotaped so VRT should link to them.
ALA out of WA office is assembling group of authors who are willing to do special deals with libraries and cutting out publishers to make special deals together. One of the authors: Corey Doctorow is helping this --In early stage. Corey talked in his LITA session about open access as an author -puts his books online within a week after he publishes them. Is the fact that he's willing to give it away freely, making people more willing to pay? It will be interesting to get data out of this.
IFLA Audio Visual/Multimedia section: Michael Miller reported that he had midyear mtg. in NYC hosted by Howard Besser and there was a program in Singapore related to new methods of cataloging. They are also offering workshops for cataloging media collections for non-specialist librarians. They are worried about their membership and how to reach people and make it a stable section.
IFLA Membership to Coord. Council of Audiovisual Archives Assoc. (CCAAA) composed of 6 orgs. that only deal with audiovisual archives and two orgs. that are more general with audio visual sections (like IFLA and Int'l council of archives).
National Media Market and Consortium of College and University Media: Carleton Jackson reported that CCUMC is now officially known as CCUMC Leadership in Media and Academic Technologies. Sue Parks is current president of CCUMC, is from South Texas and is a member of VRT. The CCUMC conference will be Oct. 9 - 13, 2013 in Oakbrook, IL and hosted by Wheaton College and Midwestern University. Theme seems to be: Digital improv. Carleton presenting there on integrating media into courses.
National Media Market will be Nov 3-7, 2013 in Charleston, SC and is connecting with the Charleston Conference (overlapping one day). NMM is a media market-buying environment and prof. development entity. Howard Besser and Brian Boling of the VRT exec. board will be presenting. Ten to fifteen thousand people go to the Charleston Conference. There's some kind of deal that VRT members get 2 for 1 or half-price admission to the National Media Market conference.
Howard Besser is willing to be formal liaison. Said that late timing of media market will affect time for Notables because many nominations come in after that event. NMM does offer scholarships to attend and if you give a presentation, they'll waive your registration fee.
Roundtable coordinating assembly(RTCA): Scott Spicer reported that he, Anthony and Brian attended. There's recognition that a number of roundtables are facing issues with recruitment, virtual attendance, etc. and there was consensus to share info more closely on these issues.
Laura offered that she'd like to put on future discussion or new business to have an official liaison with AMIA.
Howard has proposed session for PARS on audiovisual preservation in University Libraries (using 4 grad. students in his program that have been hired to establish this in their libraries). Scott suggested having VRT be a minor co-sponsor to this program.
Howard: IMLS grant for in-service training and this is attempt to run full-day preconference in Las Vegas ALA on what to do with locally produced, born digital content. He wants ongoing input from VRT. : Grant will cover travel for 2-3 speakers to conduct workshops (Howard will be one speakers) and expendibles like handouts, but will probably need VRT funding. Scott contacted Danielle Addleson at ALA about logistics of setting this up and other special considerations we should know about. Need a fee to hold spots and discussed making a bit of profit for VRT from it. Cap attendance at 50 and have it Friday of conference. Will have a local workshop in NY with same curriculum to test it and evaluate it in Nov. There's funds to record the local ones and perhaps funds for Las Vegas one.
There was discussion that since the Multimedia Production DG is so popular, maybe there should be some kind of in-person programming at Annual and then plan for hands-on workshop in future. Possible topics: 1. production centers 2. uses of production 3. media literacy 101 4. how things tie in and skills across library --start with basic clientele to set stage of how various aspects tie into librarianship. Start building larger program/series. Consider the future and know detailed facets appeal to different clientele. Shelly will talk to Tracy about Media Resources DG and if other similar topics have come up during that meeting.Piggy back off of preconference on locally produced, born digital content and have thematic link. Look at VRT survey results for granularity. Tom mentioned looking at Bylaws just to see if they should be rewritten to include media production more specifically. **Feb. 8 is deadline for annual program** --draft something and get something together and share on connect to talk about this fall.
Discussion of ALA Connect:
Steve would like to have clearer rules as to what should be put from Connect and onto the website.
Action item: to develop communication standards by midwinter for what we need to put on webpage and what gets put on Connect --to be worked on by Brian, Scott and Steve.
Danielle met with Scott and gave him suggestions to streamline communications to her and these are posted on this meeting’s agenda:
Scott is going to start listserv for exec. board through danielle to make communication easier.
Adding and deleting members from VRT listserv --Danielle said that she can do that and we need to check to make sure that it happens. Brian will work with new membership chair to update welcome letter template to send to Danielle.
New name for VRT:
We decided to table discussion of new name for a few more years -2016 annual -not that we are opposed to changing it, we just don't have a better name in mind.
Proposed not having a formal handbook, but at least a timeline and doc. that pulls together resources -a couple of paragraphs for all the positions called a management document.
Action item: Scott proposed Anthony, Scott, and Laura draft something -this group is meeting after exec. meeting and will quickly put something together.
Steve has structure on original wiki to extract and put something online.
Nominations committee --a run down of positions:
New treasurer and secretary terms to start ‘14-’16. Recruitment informally before and during and after Midwinter and then call is in Feb. Chair-elect would also happen then.
Scott would put out a formal call for nominations.
Webmaster interest: Andrew Horbaugh (Carleton's staff) but Steve can stay on (Andrew also interested in membership)
Brian will continue Communications (Steve as webmaster is on Communications Committee and Jeff Pearson said he's interested), but if anyone else is interested, they will work them in.
Julia is set on Notables for now (Jeff Pearson still interested).
Nominations is Tom outgoing and Scott incoming now.
Anthony is incoming VRT chair.
Rhonda rotating off as Membership chair and Matthew Windsor interesting in chairing and Andrew Horbaugh on there as well. Julia said that she could be on the committee as well.
Carleton mentioned recruiting liaisons to other committees.
Digital Media DG: anyone interested?
Multimedia Production DG: Shelly continues.
Program Committee: Elizabeth Myers will continue as chair. She is looking for new members.
Bylaws: Steve will not continue. We will put out a call for bylaws. Discussion about what the bylaw committee does. Monique Threatt volunteered to be a member.
Liaisons: Current liaisons there Howard, Michael and Carleton agreed to continue to do this.
ACRL Digital Humanities DG -may be a future liaison role for us.
Also mentioned that perhaps we could do something more formally with "Now Showing It" screenings at the conferences. Michelle McKenzie offered to work on this.
Gala Committee suggested not having a gala in Las Vegas, but start planning for San Francisco. Monique Threatt, Michelle McKenzie and Howard Besser will be on the Gala Committee. There was discussion on the relationship of these committee to the Programming Committee (it is separate).
Minutes respectfully submitted by Shelly McCoy, VRT secretary
Here's a list of official VRT Events being held at the 2014 ALA Annual Conference in Las Vegas:
Friday: June 27th
Managing Locally-Produced Born-Digital Media Content (PreConference): 9:00 am – 4:00 pm; Caesars Palace – Neopolitan II
Libraries are increasingly needing to manage locally-produced media content in born-digital form. This ranges from a university’s public relations videos, to recordings of sporting events, to student thesis projects, to oral histories, to local television and radio programming. It also may include locally-related material that is not handed directly to a library, but is instead posted on websites such as YouTube. This workshop aims to help libraries understand how to understand ingesting and managing this type of content. This ranges from offering advice to content contributors (on preferred file formats, wrappers, and metadata), to file structures and metadata for maintaining a collection, to a variety of methods for providing access, to concerns about ensuring the longevity and integrity of these works. The panel:
- Howard Besser, Director, Moving Image Archiving and Preservation Program
- Siobhan Hagan, Audiovisual Archivist, University of Baltimore Langsdale Library
- Stevel Villereal, Audiovisual Conservator, University of Virginia Library
- Natalie Milbrodt, Director, Queens Memory Project
- Stefan Elnabli, Moving Image and Sound Preservation Specialist, Northwestern University Library
- Yvonne Ng, Archivist, Witness
Saturday, June 28th
Leading Successful Media Production Services in Academic and Public Libraries: Different Models, Perspectives, and Recommendations 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm; Las Vegas Convention Center – S225
Increasingly, libraries of many types are expanding their role from providers of information to supporters of content creation. This session will bring together a panel of academic and public librarians to describe how their organizations are providing media production to their communities. Discussion topics will include a brief tour of the production lab facilities, staff training, production equipment and software. This presentation will also feature examples of the various types and benefits of media projects produced by members of the academic and public library communities, with discussion on how this expansion of services aligns with the strategic goals of the library. Our panel:
- Scott Spicer, Media Outreach and Learning Spaces Librarian, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
- Shelly McCoy, Librarian and Head, Student Multimedia Design Center, University of Delaware Library
- Alex Hoffman, Digital Media Specialist, Arlington Heights Memorial Library
- Sara Sunshine Holloway, Teen Services Librarian, Tacoma Public Library
Sunday, June 29th
Video Librarianship 101 (Public Libraries) 8:30 am - 10:00 am; Las Vegas Convention Center – N232
Are you a brand new Media Librarian? Or are you a librarian who suddenly finds yourself in some way having to deal with video issues? Not sure you what you are doing? Not sure what you should be doing? Panic no more! This program is designed specifically to help you learn the basics of video librarianship. Our panel of speakers will be taking on such topics as building the best video collection for your community; streaming; DVD security issues; and putting on that film series that will absolutely wow your community. There will be time available for questions, discussion, and the sharing of success stories. Our panel:
- Elizabeth Myers, Circulation Services Coordinator, East Baton Rouge Parish Library, Baton Rouge, LA (Moderator)
- Mary Wallace Moore, Director, Smyrna Public Library, Smyrna, GA
- Michele McKenzie, Art & Music Librarian, Berkeley Public Library, Berkeley, CA
- Shahin Shoar, Media Services Manager, Upper Arlington Public Library (Ohio)
- Tracy Montri, Manager, Audiovisual Department, Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
Video Librarianship 101 (Academic Libraries) 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm; Las Vegas Convention Center – N232
Are you a brand new Media Librarian? Or are you a librarian who suddenly finds yourself in some way having to deal with video issues? Not sure you what you are doing? Not sure what you should be doing? Panic no more! This program is designed specifically to help you learn the basics of video librarianship. Our panel of speakers will be taking on such topics as building the best video collection for your campus; streaming; promoting your collection; and making sense of sometimes such daunting concepts as “fair usage”, “public performance rights” and “institutional rates.” There will be time available for questions, discussion, and the sharing of success stories. Our panel:
- Tom Ipri, Liaison Librarian for Media Arts and Design, Drexel University Libraries, Drexel University (Moderator)
- deg farrelly, ShareStream Administrator/Media Librarian, Arizona State University Libraries, Tempe, AZ
- Steven D. Milewski, Assistant Professor | Social Work & Digital Media Technologies Librarian, University Libraries, University of Tennessee – Knoxville
- Brian W. Boling, Media Services and Digital Production Librarian, Temple University Libraries
- Laura Jenemann, Media Services/Film Studies Librarian, George Mason University Libraries
VRT Happy Hour: 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm; Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant - 3987 Paradise Rd, Las Vegas, NV 89169
Please join the Video Round Table (VRT) members in a happy - or is it hoppy? - hour at Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant at the ALA conference in Las Vegas. Members and non-members are welcome. Please note that this is a cash bar event. Light snacks will be provided. Please RSVP directly to Laura Jennemann at email@example.com.
Monday: June 30th
Membership and Executive Board Meeting 8:30 am – 12:30 pm; Las Vegas Convention Center - N212
Planning and business discussion meeting for the Video Round Table. Here’s your chance to find out more about the VRT and get your word in about what the Round Table can be doing to best serve the needs of the video library community!
Digital Video Collections Guide
Below is a curated bibliography, mirrored from the University of Minnesota Digital Video Collections Guide, consisting of quality licensed and open digital video collections that has been inspired largely with support from Arizona State University (deg farrely) and some resources culled from various institutions in the LibGuides Community. This resource is being shared on ALA Connect as an Online Doc with the hope that a community of media interested professionals will contribute further links/descriptions of quality licensed or open digital video collections, and repurposed as they see fit to meet the needs of their constituents. Attribution is greatly appreciated, but please repurpose regardless.
Considerations for adding a resource:
Please add links only to legal digital video collections and those that you feel represent high quality content that would be of value to various constituencies. This guide is currently academic focused, but as the Video Round Table represents diverse media needs, video for k-12, public libraries, special libraries, museums, etc.. are certainly appropriate. Please do not include links to other video bibliographies unless the character of said resource is unique (e.g., Berkeley's MRC Guide). When adding a link to a digital video collections, please submit the URL specifically to the video search page and/or sub-collection of video clips, not the primary homepage of the collections' sponsor (unless they are the same). Accordingly, multiple links to sub-collections (e.g., LOC digital video collections) are acceptable. Finally, the licensed resources below are for the licensed collections at the University of Minnesota. If your institution subscribes to these collections, you will need to update the links for your own configurations.
To Contribute New Resources: first, login (top right hand corner. Non-ALA Members register here free). Then, feel free to add exemplar digital video collections, create new subject areas, clean up descriptions, revise links, and of course, repurpose for your audience! The goal of this guide is to promote digital video collections of content, not necessarily single titles. Please do not include links to websites in the promotion of a single title.
I will try to maintain this site on an annual basis to insure the links are up to date and these collections are still active. To assist with this process, the links below are referred through the UMN Libdata system, but feel free to add links directly to digital collections. If you have any questions/comments please feel free to leave a comment below or contact me directly Scott Spicer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Media Outreach Librarian
Immediate Past Chair, Video Round Table
University of Minnesota Libraries
| Licensed Streaming Video Collections
These are amazing collections of streaming video titles the UMN Libraries have licensed. These collections are restricted to University affiliates (requiring .x500 for off campus access).
VRT Executive Board Meeting
Date & Time: Wednesday, January 8, 2014, 2-3:30pm EST
Location: Adobe Connect
In attendance: Danielle Alderson (ALA Liaison), Anthony Anderson (Chair), Andrew Horbal (Communications and Website Committees), Laura Jenemann (Chair Elect), Shelly McCoy (Secretary), Scott Spicer (Past-Chair, Bylaws, Nomination Committees)
2. Midwinter Update
a. Board Meeting Agenda - Anthony
Anthony received minutes from 3 Chairs: Scott Spicer, Michael Miller, and Chris (Lewis?). Shelly to make 10-15 print copies of VRT Exec. Board minutes from the Annual meeting to have at the midwinter board meeting.
Andy will put the agenda on Connect and on front of the webpage.
Jim Neal will report from the Exec. Board at our meeting.
Anthony will ask if the person chairing the Gala committee will continue until after Annual 2015. There was a question if the Gala will be on Sun. and we decided to let the committee decide.
3. Nominations - Scott
Open positions are chair-elect and treasurer. We'll take nominations at midwinter and we'll post a call for those interested online.
4. Bylaw Revisions - Scott
a. Q from Laura: Are we going to try for vote before Annual 2014? This is a close turn-around.
Scott posted a Google doc of bylaws and only received a couple of comments. There's 5 or 6 major bylaw changes. Scott will create an exec. summary for midwinter meeting but believes there's not much that is controversial. The goal is for changes to take affect after Annual. This will not get on the ballot, which comes out in 3 weeks, but there's another mechanism to use to vote --at our meetings we just need 10 members there to vote.
5. Gala Committee - Laura for Monique Threatt
a. What are the official commitment for Committee Members? (For example: 2013-2015, or 2014-2016?)
b. Should the Gala be Sunday 7-9:30pm? This is the traditional time.
5. Unfinished Business
a. Liaisons - Laura
1) ALA Connect page
An ALA Connect page for liaisons was created.
2) Job description
2 year appointment.
Attendance at conferences
Michael Miller has said that he can renew his appointment at Annual, so we'll ask him.
3) Requirements for establishing relationship
This depends upon the formality of the relationship.
b. Future VRT call agendas: should they be sent to entire membership? - Anthony
6. New Business
Andrew Horbal, Communications Committee, gave a report.
Laura said that she should ask how to preserve memory of the group.
No Feb. 5 meeting since so close to Midwinter.
Anthony asked that the minutes of this meeting and all those that follow be sent to VRT-L with an announcement of the next board meeting date/time.
The American Library Association (ALA) Video Round Table Notable Videos for Adults Committee has compiled its 2014 list of Notable Videos for Adults, a list of 15 outstanding programs released on video within the past two years and suitable for all libraries serving adults. Its purpose is to call attention to recent video releases that make a significant contribution to the world of video. The list is compiled for use by librarians and the general adult populace.
The Notable Videos for Adults committee selected 15 outstanding titles from among 34 nominees for this year’s list of Notable Videos for Adults.
- Ai WeiWei: Never Sorry (2012) 91 minutes. MPI Media Group. Available from various distributors.
Profiles Chinese dissident artist Ai WeiWei and his mission to draw attention to political oppression in China.
- Brooklyn Castle (2012) 101 minutes. Rescued Media. Available from various distributors.
Public school kids and educators overcome economic challenges to compete in national chess championships.
- The Central Park Five (2012) 119 minutes. IFC Films.Available from various distributors.
An indictment of the press and the criminal justice systems mishandling of the Central park jogger case from the perspective of the five young men falsely accused, and ultimately exonerated.
- The Gatekeepers (2013) 101 minutes. Sony Pictures Classics. Available from various distributors.
A glimpse into machinations of Israel's counter terrorism operations through unprecedented interviews with six former leaders of Shin Bet .
- The House I live in (2013) 108 minutes. Charlotte Street Films. Available from various distributors.
Lays bare the social consequences of America's failed war on drugs.
- How to Survive a Plague (2013) 109 minutes. Public Square Films. Available from various distributors.
Members of ACT UP fight to provide life saving drugs to their community and raise awareness during the outbreak of HIV-AIDS.
- The Imposter (2013) 99 minutes. A&E Indie Films. Available from various distributors.
Well executed high tension thriller about a trickster who manipulates his way into a family grieving for their missing child.
- Invisible War (2012) 98 minutes. Docurama Films. Available from various distributors.
An expose about sexual assault in the military and the system that perpetuates it.
- Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2012) 82 minutes. Magnolia Pictures. Available from various distributors.
An aging sushi chef demonstrates that mastery comes from life long dedication to improving ones craft.
- Kumare (2013) 84 minutes. Kino Lorber Available from various distributors.
By posing as a guru the filmmaker explores the common longing for spiritual guidance.
- Leviathan (2013) 87 minutes. Cinema Guild. Available from various distributors.
An Immersive experience using experimental techniques to explore the lives of commercial fisherman.
- A Place at the Table (2013) 84 minutes. Magnolia Pictures. Available from various distributors.
An exploration of Americas food insecurity and its negative impact on the nations most vulnerable
- Project Nim (2012) 93 minutes. Red Box Films. Available from various distributors
A chimpanzee is raised as a human, taught sign language, and later abandoned by those he trusted.
- Soul Food Junkies (2013) 63 minutes. PBS. Available from various distributors.
A film that celebrates the soul food tradition while advocating for modifications to minimize its negative health effects on the community.
- Where Heaven Meets Hell ( 2013) ITVS.
Beautifully crafted film that reveals the difficult lives of sulfur miners in east Java.
The Notable Videos for Adults Committee members are: Julia Churchill, Oak Lawn Public Library (Chair); Brian Boling, Temple University; Linda Frederiksen, Vancouver Library; Mary Hanlin, Reynolds Community College; Wendy Higby, James A. Michener Library; Maura Lynch, Guilderland Public Library; Sandra Macke, University of Denver; Michele McKenzie, Berkeley Public Library; Maureen Tripp, Emerson College;
Listed below is my first go on revising the VRT Bylaws. My goal with these proposed amendments was to update the document to reflect both the emerging vitality and diverse interests of the group, with some of the challenges faced in recent years of finding active participants to administer operations.
Please add your comments to the open VRT Bylaws Google document! We will be discussing this at the VRT Midwinter Board Meeting on Monday.
I do not believe there are many controversial items here, but I could be wrong. 2 comments were received on one proposed amendment:
- (Article V, sec. 2) providing voting rights to students (who are now technically non-paying members).
Additional items of note may include:
- Explicitly stating that the VRT covers both fixed media collections as well as media creation.
- Number of members required for various committees, number of Executive posts held simultaneously, number of members required for quorum
- Clarification on the Bylaws voting procedures
List of Proposed Amendments to the VRT Bylaws (Midwinter 2014)
1. (Article II) Language: (1) to provide a forum for the discussion of video and other audiovisual collections, services, and technologies in libraries of all types;
Amendment: Do we make more explicit the role of media creation in addition to fixed collections?
2. (Article III) Language: Section 2. Any institutional member of ALA may become an institutional member of the VRT upon payment of annual dues. Institutional members shall be nonvoting members.
Amendment: Do we extend voting privileges to (non-paying) students?
3. (Article IV sec. 7) Language: Section 7. At the Midwinter Business Meeting, the Nominating Committee shall present the Executive Committee with a slate of officers for the upcoming year. This slate shall contain either at least one nominee for every office to be filled at the annual election. Further nominations can be made from the floor and subsequently via written nomination by voting members in good standing. Nominations shall be closed two weeks after the official end of the Midwinter Conference or comparable date determined and announced by the VRT Executive Board. In the case of only one nominee for any position their will be a provision for a write-in candidate. The slate shall be posted on the VRT web site and ballots shall be sent through standard ALA procedures to all VRT members in good standing prior to the ALA Annual Conference and must be returned on or before the date posted and provide for write-in candidates.
Amendments: Clarified as email?; Their should be spelled there; Should we codify ALA Connect as the VRT web site for candidates?
4. (Article IV sec. 8(B)) Language: Nominating Committee shall propose at least two (2) candidates to fill the unexpired term of the vacant office(s).
Amendment: Should we change this to one candidate with the possibility of a write-in should there not be at least 2 candidates submitted?
5. (Article IV sec. 9) Language: Section 9. No member shall hold more than one office on the Executive Committee at any time.
Amendment: Should we change this to except under extenuating circumstances where not enough candidates have been submitted to fill all Executive Committee seats?
6. (Article V, sec. 4) Language: Section 4. Ten (10) members in good standing shall constitute a quorum at any Membership meeting of the Round Table.
Amendment: We have come dangerously close to not having a quorum at some meetings in recent years. Should we lower the number required for quorum?
7. (Article VI, sec. 1) Language: Section 1. The Officers of VRT, the Chairs of the Membership, Communications, Nominating, Gala, Bylaws and Program Committees and the Webmaster shall constitute the Executive Committee and have voting privileges. Chairs of other Standing Committees and liaisons shall be non-voting members of the Executive Committee.
Amendment: Do we want to add the Chair of the Notables Committee and the Media Production Group to the Executive Committee?
8. (Article VII, sec. 2) Language: A Standing Committee member may be appointed for only one additional two-year (2) term.
Amendment: I propose we take this out or amend to the effect "except under extenuating circumstances in which another candidate can not be identified." These are committee memberships (2 year appointments) not Chairs (1 year appointments).
9. (Article VII, sec. 3 (B)) Language: least three (3) members
Amendment: I propose "except under extenuating circumstances in which 2 additional VRT members can not be identified"
10. (Article VII, sec. 3 (D)) Language: The Program Committee shall consist of at least four (4) members.
Amendment: Again, I propose the language "except under extenuating circumstances"
11. (Article VII, sec. 4 (E)) Language: The Gala Program shall consist of at least five (5) members
Amendment: Again, I propose the language "except under extenuating circumstances"
12. (Article VII, sec. 4 (E)) Language: The Gala is an annual professionally oriented event held as a fund raiser, membership recruitment, and social event and the Committee shall oversee all activities relating to executing the programs for the Annual Conferences.
Amendment: Do we want to spell out the role of the Vice-Chair/Chair Elect as the key contact point for potential Gala sponsors?
13. (Article VII, sec. 4 (F)) Language: least two (2) members, including a Past VRT Chair or Executive Committee member.
Amendment: Again, I propose the language "except under extenuating circumstances"
14. (Article VII, sec. 4 (F)) Language: Special or Ad Hoc Committee may be appointed by the Chair of the Round Table in order to execute occasional or short term VRT business. All such Committees shall be appointed for a designated purpose and/or a specified period of time.
Amendment: If Ad Hoc Committee's include the (online) Media Production Group, I propose we formally call it a Standing Committee and the Chair be a member of the Executive Committee.
15. (Article VIII, sec. 4 (F)) Language: The VRT Chair shall appoint VRT Liaisons with other ALA Divisions, Sections and Round Tables when/where appropriate. Liaisons to other organizations may also be appointed at the Chair's discretion. Liaisons from other organizations may also be received by the VRT Chair but will have no voting rights.
Amendment: There appears to be a special relationship with the IFLA Audio Visual group as VRT serves in some kind of nominating capacity for membership of that group. Do we want to explicitly call this out?
16. (Article X, sec. 3) Language: The Treasurer shall monitor all VRT finances and report the status to the Executive Committee and membership on a semi-annual basis.
Clarification Sought: I was under the impression this monitoring was required annually. If it is not, then is it imperative the Treasurer be present at every meeting? Do we need to amend the Treasurer responsibilities (either for monitoring or required conference attendance)?
17. (Article XI, sec. 1) Language: These Bylaws may be amended by a majority of members voting at any Annual Meeting or by ballot, provided the amendment has been proposed by the Executive Committee, a committee authorized by the Executive Committee, or a personal member of the Round Table, and has been sent in writing to the Secretary and mailed to each member at least thirty (30) days before the Annual meeting or by the counting of the vote. Amendments to these Bylaws shall become effective immediately upon certification of the election results.
Amendments: "by ballot" should perhaps be clarified to mean electronic voting?; “mailed to each member” - I propose we allow for an online election system of some type to ratify Bylaw changes. It is not clear if we would actually have to mail out the vote to request this switch to online voting!! Conversely, mail could be interpreted as e-mail.
18. (Article XI, sec. 2) Language: These Bylaws shall be consistent with the Bylaws of the ALA (Article VII) and require amendments whenever the ALA Bylaws are changed.
Clarification Sought: What is the protocol to insure they are consistent with ALA? --Contact Danielle.
19. (Article XIII, sec. 1) Language: Publications shall be free to all VRT members in good standing.
Amendment: "and/or open to the public as determined by the Executive Committee."
20. (Article XIII, sec. 2) Language: The Committee shall seek out and use established as well as new and emerging forms of communication to reach current and future VRT members.
Amendment: Do we want codify any of these forms of communications?