Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Meeting Request
Picture
Melanee Vicedo's picture

October 19, 2010 meeting

REDC Meeting, 10/19/09, 2pm (Eastern)

Archived on Thu, 02/18/2010 - 5:00pm.

10/19/2009 - 12:59pm

Melanee Vicedo:Hi Patrick!

10/19/2009 - 1:00pm

Patrick Tomlin:Hi!

10/19/2009 - 1:01pm

Melanee Vicedo:Hi Emily.

10/19/2009 - 1:02pm

Emily Love:hi and hi

10/19/2009 - 1:02pm

Patrick Tomlin:My office in the art architecture library has a big glass door that makes me very visible--I'm crossing my fingers that no one will knock on it for a while.

10/19/2009 - 1:02pm

Melanee Vicedo:I think Dee is the only one who said she couldn't make it so I'll wait a few more minutes.

10/19/2009 - 1:03pm

that's cool if you have to step away. we'll just talk about you.

10/19/2009 - 1:03pm

kidding.

10/19/2009 - 1:03pm

Emily Love:ha

10/19/2009 - 1:03pm

Melanee Vicedo:we should be ending by 3 or even earlier.

10/19/2009 - 1:03pm

Hi Trevor.

10/19/2009 - 1:04pm

Trevor A. Dawes:sorry, I'm a bit tardy

10/19/2009 - 1:04pm

hello, everyone

10/19/2009 - 1:04pm

Patrick Tomlin:: )

10/19/2009 - 1:04pm

Melanee Vicedo:No problem. I am waiting 2 more minutes.

10/19/2009 - 1:04pm

HI Charlene

10/19/2009 - 1:04pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:hello all!

10/19/2009 - 1:05pm

Melanee Vicedo:1 more minute and we'll get the party started.

10/19/2009 - 1:06pm

Ok, let's get started...

10/19/2009 - 1:07pm

the tasks are due today and I saw a couple of reports back. Anyone have any feedback?

10/19/2009 - 1:07pm

How it went? The process?

10/19/2009 - 1:08pm

We may look at parceling out tasks for the next steps, which is the working paper.

10/19/2009 - 1:08pm

Emily Love:i thought it was very manageable. although, like i said in my notes, interesting that none of the guidelines i read had any mention of diversity... hmmm

10/19/2009 - 1:09pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:i'm still working on mine...Nat'l Social Workers

10/19/2009 - 1:09pm

Melanee Vicedo:i noticed that too. and i looked at the undergraduate services guidelines.

10/19/2009 - 1:09pm

that's cool Charlene. I like NASW's guidelines.

10/19/2009 - 1:09pm

Emily Love:charlene... you got the meaty one

10/19/2009 - 1:09pm

Patrick Tomlin:I had the same experience--little direct discussion of diversity or cultural competencies. My docs dealt with professional qualifications and status.

10/19/2009 - 1:10pm

Melanee Vicedo:well i think our guidelines should address what's lacking.

10/19/2009 - 1:11pm

Ok, I just wanted to see if anyone came across anything glaring or had difficulty with the task.

10/19/2009 - 1:11pm

Moving on...

10/19/2009 - 1:11pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:hold on...

10/19/2009 - 1:11pm

Melanee Vicedo:Yes, Charlene.

10/19/2009 - 1:12pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:since I have the meaty one.... should I review all of the standards and list them

10/19/2009 - 1:12pm

Melanee Vicedo:What do you mean by list them? NASW or the ALA guidelines?

10/19/2009 - 1:13pm

Are you also working on the ALA/ACRL guidelines?

10/19/2009 - 1:13pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:NASW--for example

10/19/2009 - 1:14pm

they have standards and indicators with interpretation

10/19/2009 - 1:15pm

Melanee Vicedo:For NASW, you should identify aspects of those guidelines that illustrate what REDC is trying to achieve with our guidelines

10/19/2009 - 1:15pm

were you able to pull out parts we could use or that pertain to what we're trying to do?

10/19/2009 - 1:15pm

Hi Scott

10/19/2009 - 1:15pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:k. do we have goals already established?

10/19/2009 - 1:16pm

Scott Mandernack:Hello everyone. (Sorry I'm late...)

10/19/2009 - 1:16pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:the short version is online...http://www.socialworkers.org/diversity/new/standards.asp

10/19/2009 - 1:16pm

Melanee Vicedo:We have a summary of what our guidelines want to achieve. I think more defined goals will be in the working paper.

10/19/2009 - 1:17pm

I can send you that summary and i believe it's posted on ALA Connect.

10/19/2009 - 1:17pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:k. I'll check it out

10/19/2009 - 1:17pm

Melanee Vicedo:I will take a look at it after the meeting and be in touch Charlene. Is that Ok?

10/19/2009 - 1:18pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:I will take the parts that will apply to our guidelines

10/19/2009 - 1:18pm

sure

10/19/2009 - 1:18pm

Emily Love:having looked at the NASW a while back... i thought... wouldn't it be nice if we could just take that and replace 'social work' references with 'library' :)

10/19/2009 - 1:18pm

Melanee Vicedo:That's what I thought! even their wording is spot on, IMO

10/19/2009 - 1:18pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:i know....these are cultural competencies

10/19/2009 - 1:18pm

Melanee Vicedo:Anyone else have anything on the tasks?

10/19/2009 - 1:19pm

Trevor A. Dawes:short thing

10/19/2009 - 1:19pm

Melanee Vicedo:Yes, Trevor.'

10/19/2009 - 1:19pm

Trevor A. Dawes:Melanee's email of 9/13/09 addressed the reason for the compasiron...

10/19/2009 - 1:19pm

comparison...

10/19/2009 - 1:19pm

but I think we should be focusing on http://tinyurl.com/yktuhup as our guide, no?

10/19/2009 - 1:20pm

[link to the acrl standards development process]

10/19/2009 - 1:20pm

Melanee Vicedo:Yes Trevor.

10/19/2009 - 1:20pm

Trevor A. Dawes:it's hard to multi-task with this chat meeting ;-)

10/19/2009 - 1:21pm

Melanee Vicedo:We are following those guidelines...

10/19/2009 - 1:21pm

Trevor A. Dawes:I know you'd sent the link before, I just want us to keep them in mind

10/19/2009 - 1:22pm

Melanee Vicedo:and looked at other org's guidelines to bolster our insight into cultural competencies and how they are used within other orgs

10/19/2009 - 1:22pm

wow, i hope that made sense...

10/19/2009 - 1:22pm

Emily Love:right - that being like step 2

10/19/2009 - 1:23pm

Melanee Vicedo:since the existing ACRL/ALA guidelines are lacking, we thought it would help to look at other existing cultural competency guidelines

10/19/2009 - 1:23pm

Patrick Tomlin:makes sense

10/19/2009 - 1:23pm

Melanee Vicedo:but you're right on Trevor, we are following the guidelines. Actually, we have to since ACRL won't even consider it without us following it.

10/19/2009 - 1:23pm

Trevor A. Dawes:ok

10/19/2009 - 1:24pm

Melanee Vicedo:Thank you for bringing it up.

10/19/2009 - 1:24pm

I'll send out a summary of what everyone reported back and more details on the next step: the working paper!

10/19/2009 - 1:25pm

Anything else on the tasks?

10/19/2009 - 1:25pm

Trevor A. Dawes:none here

10/19/2009 - 1:25pm

Melanee Vicedo:Ok. Next I just wanted to make everyone aware that the REDC has put in a proposal for a panel at the National Diversity in Libraries.

10/19/2009 - 1:26pm

thank you to Dee, Emily and Charlene for working on it.

10/19/2009 - 1:26pm

I should have done it earlier but I'll send out the final proposal to the group.

10/19/2009 - 1:26pm

I'll also send out something when we hear back from the selection committee.

10/19/2009 - 1:26pm

Trevor A. Dawes:If I can give a heads-up, I will

10/19/2009 - 1:27pm

Melanee Vicedo:Thank you Trevor. If this was an in-person meeting, I would have winked at you.

10/19/2009 - 1:27pm

=)\

10/19/2009 - 1:27pm

Emily Love::)

10/19/2009 - 1:27pm

Trevor A. Dawes:I can say though, that we received 90 proposals

10/19/2009 - 1:27pm

and we'll be accepting about 30

10/19/2009 - 1:28pm

Melanee Vicedo:Wow! that's great that you received so many

10/19/2009 - 1:28pm

t

10/19/2009 - 1:28pm

sorry premature "enter"

10/19/2009 - 1:28pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:I'm curious...how many did you receive before changing the date?

10/19/2009 - 1:29pm

Trevor A. Dawes:before the new deadline we had about 30. but we wanted to have choice - boy do we have choices now!

10/19/2009 - 1:29pm

Emily Love:i think we all submit ones on our own;)

10/19/2009 - 1:29pm

Melanee Vicedo:I think so too Emily. Any more on the NDLC?

10/19/2009 - 1:30pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:yep...

10/19/2009 - 1:30pm

Melanee Vicedo:Ok...

10/19/2009 - 1:31pm

sorry, Charlene, did you have something else?

10/19/2009 - 1:32pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:no--just mentioned i submitted a proposal from my library

10/19/2009 - 1:32pm

Melanee Vicedo:Oh ok!

10/19/2009 - 1:33pm

So this segways into REDC's participation in conferences and partnering with other groups.

10/19/2009 - 1:33pm

I just wanted to put out there that if you are involved with other sections/committees, keep the REDC in mind and maybe we can co-sponsor a program.

10/19/2009 - 1:34pm

Emily Love:how much $ does REDC have for that?

10/19/2009 - 1:34pm

Melanee Vicedo:I know planning for ALA Annual is on its way and ACRL will be coming up too.

10/19/2009 - 1:34pm

I don't have the exact $ but like the NDLC conference, ACRL has money set aside for diversity programming so they are open to providing funding.

10/19/2009 - 1:35pm

We just have to plan and put in the proposal in time.

10/19/2009 - 1:35pm

Trevor A. Dawes:And, any section/committee/interest group may submit an annual program proposal

10/19/2009 - 1:35pm

that is reviewed by the Professional Development Committee and will be given funding if the proposal is accepted

10/19/2009 - 1:36pm

it's too late to submit a proposal for 2010 Annual. did we submit something?

10/19/2009 - 1:36pm

Emily Love:the REDC did a good program for annual in DC...

10/19/2009 - 1:36pm

Melanee Vicedo:No we didn't. I don't know about any individual members.

10/19/2009 - 1:37pm

Who planned that Emily?

10/19/2009 - 1:37pm

Emily Love:Chisa Uyeki and some of the past members

10/19/2009 - 1:37pm

she was the chair before michelle

10/19/2009 - 1:37pm

Trevor A. Dawes:proposals are due on 5/1/10 for 2011 Annual conference.

10/19/2009 - 1:37pm

Emily Love:They did a panel

10/19/2009 - 1:38pm

called 'The R Word' and had mark winston and lorna peterson talk about racism in libraries

10/19/2009 - 1:38pm

Melanee Vicedo:Oh cool. Chisa's awesome.

10/19/2009 - 1:38pm

Thanks Trevor.

10/19/2009 - 1:38pm

And if we want to do something at ACRL, we should think about that too. I'm not sure about the due date.

10/19/2009 - 1:38pm

Trevor A. Dawes:those are due sometime this year (i believe)

10/19/2009 - 1:38pm

Emily Love:i compiled the audience surveys - the main suggestion was that people wanted to see presenters of other backgrounds talk as well - latino, mixed, disability, et

10/19/2009 - 1:39pm

Melanee Vicedo:I just want to put it out there that there's funding support and support from REDC!

10/19/2009 - 1:39pm

Patrick Tomlin:duly noted.

10/19/2009 - 1:40pm

Melanee Vicedo:I'll put due dates together and send something out to the group as a reminder and hopefully light a fire.

10/19/2009 - 1:40pm

Anything else on conferences?

10/19/2009 - 1:41pm

Emily Love:if the ndlc proposal got accepted, maybe it could light something for ala 2011. just a thought

10/19/2009 - 1:41pm

Trevor A. Dawes:indeed.

10/19/2009 - 1:41pm

Melanee Vicedo:Yeah, we can build momentum.

10/19/2009 - 1:42pm

Speaking of momentum, I wanted to talk about the upcoming Midwinter meeting....if there was nothing else on conferences.

10/19/2009 - 1:42pm

We're almost done btw. I have one more thing after this.

10/19/2009 - 1:42pm

Scott Mandernack:Wehat about something based on the cultural competencies...? Or is that being too optimistic? ;-)

10/19/2009 - 1:42pm

Emily Love:i know you emailed it, but when's the midwinter meeting again?

10/19/2009 - 1:43pm

Melanee Vicedo:I think if we definitely have the working paper set we can do something with it.

10/19/2009 - 1:43pm

Trevor A. Dawes:1/15 - 1/19

10/19/2009 - 1:43pm

Melanee Vicedo:it's on a saturday, 1:30-3:30

10/19/2009 - 1:43pm

Trevor A. Dawes:duh? my bad

10/19/2009 - 1:43pm

Emily Love:thansk melanee:)

10/19/2009 - 1:44pm

Melanee Vicedo:Scott, the working paper will have to be distributed to the association so it can be a panel/ roundtable type of thing.

10/19/2009 - 1:44pm

thanks trevor!

10/19/2009 - 1:44pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:is this the REDC mtg scheduled at midwinter?

10/19/2009 - 1:44pm

Melanee Vicedo:Yes, REDC midwinter meeting

10/19/2009 - 1:45pm

I think almost everyone will be at Midwinter and hopefully can make it to the meeting.

10/19/2009 - 1:45pm

I wanted to use it as an opportunity to not just touch base and see one another in person but also discuss our trajectory.

10/19/2009 - 1:46pm

Maybe discuss ideas about programming, other activities.

10/19/2009 - 1:47pm

Of course we'll talk about our current activities but since we're together so sporadically, I wanted to see if everyone was on the same page.

10/19/2009 - 1:47pm

Emily Love:sounds good

10/19/2009 - 1:48pm

Patrick Tomlin:yep

10/19/2009 - 1:48pm

Melanee Vicedo:I'll flesh it out more soon! =)

10/19/2009 - 1:48pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:o.k.

10/19/2009 - 1:48pm

Scott Mandernack:I look forward to getting together

10/19/2009 - 1:48pm

Melanee Vicedo:And is everyone here going to Midwinter?

10/19/2009 - 1:48pm

Scott Mandernack:Yes, I am.

10/19/2009 - 1:48pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:im going

10/19/2009 - 1:48pm

Trevor A. Dawes:I'll be there

10/19/2009 - 1:49pm

Melanee Vicedo:Cool!

10/19/2009 - 1:49pm

Patrick Tomlin:Me too.

10/19/2009 - 1:49pm

Emily Love:me too

10/19/2009 - 1:49pm

happy its in boston

10/19/2009 - 1:49pm

Melanee Vicedo:Also at Midwinter, some members will be attending other section's/committee's meetings

10/19/2009 - 1:50pm

to see how we can collaborate with them.

10/19/2009 - 1:50pm

I'm going to be frozen in boston!

10/19/2009 - 1:50pm

I know Trevor is attending the section leader's meeting.

10/19/2009 - 1:50pm

And we may have someone unofficially liaison-ing for ALA's Committee on Diversity

10/19/2009 - 1:51pm

I think this is a great direction for REDC. Collaboration with other groups.

10/19/2009 - 1:52pm

And if you know of other groups that may want or willbe a good group to have a liasion with, share it.

10/19/2009 - 1:53pm

Ok, I think that's my part about the Midwinter meeting.

10/19/2009 - 1:53pm

Anyone have anything else on Midwinter. Or I will open it up to any other business you all may have.

10/19/2009 - 1:53pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:I'm chairing the LLAMA Diversity Officers Group--maybe there's something we can do

10/19/2009 - 1:53pm

Emily Love:definitely

10/19/2009 - 1:54pm

Scott Mandernack:I'm a member of the Residency Interest Group, so there might be some possibilities for collaboration with them as well.

10/19/2009 - 1:54pm

Melanee Vicedo:You know I was just at North Carolina library association conference and they had a panel on members of the diversity committee from different schools.

10/19/2009 - 1:54pm

Sounds great Charlene and Scott.

10/19/2009 - 1:54pm

Let us know and we can help out.

10/19/2009 - 1:55pm

Emily Love:thanks for the meeting melanee

10/19/2009 - 1:55pm

Melanee Vicedo:Welcome.

10/19/2009 - 1:55pm

Anyone have anything else to share?

10/19/2009 - 1:55pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:thanks for keeping us on track

10/19/2009 - 1:55pm

Trevor A. Dawes:indeed

10/19/2009 - 1:55pm

Melanee Vicedo:You're welcome. Everyone is so great!

10/19/2009 - 1:56pm

And please feel free to email the group if you have anything to share.

10/19/2009 - 1:56pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:k

10/19/2009 - 1:56pm

Patrick Tomlin:Nice to meet everyone (virtually, anyway). Look forward to the in-person at Midwinter.

10/19/2009 - 1:56pm

Emily Love:bye

10/19/2009 - 1:56pm

Charlene Maxey-Harris:bye

10/19/2009 - 1:56pm

Melanee Vicedo:It will be good to see everyone!

10/19/2009 - 1:56pm

Trevor A. Dawes:see you there, Patrick. bye all

10/19/2009 - 1:56pm

Melanee Vicedo:Bye all!

10/19/2009 - 1:56pm

Scott Mandernack:See you in a few months!