Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Meeting Request
Picture
Melanee Vicedo's picture

February 17, 2010 online meeting

REDC meeting, February 17, 2010

Archived on Thu, 02/18/2010 - 4:59pm.

02/17/2010 - 12:43pm

Melanee Vicedo:Testing

02/17/2010 - 12:50pm

Locke Morrisey:Hi Melanee. Hope this comes through

02/17/2010 - 12:58pm

Trevor A. Dawes:hello

02/17/2010 - 12:58pm

Locke Morrisey:Hi Trevor! Tyrone says hello

02/17/2010 - 12:58pm

Trevor A. Dawes:hey Locke, please give him my regards

02/17/2010 - 12:58pm

Emily Love:hi

02/17/2010 - 12:59pm

Locke Morrisey:I will.

02/17/2010 - 12:59pm

Melanee Vicedo:Hi all!

02/17/2010 - 12:59pm

Locke Morrisey:Hi Melanee!

02/17/2010 - 12:59pm

Melanee Vicedo:I was on another page...sorry.

02/17/2010 - 12:59pm

Trevor A. Dawes:Hey Mel, hi Emily

02/17/2010 - 12:59pm

Melanee Vicedo:Hi Trevor.

02/17/2010 - 1:00pm

Emily Love:hi hi hi

02/17/2010 - 1:00pm

Melanee Vicedo:I know Charlene, Scott, and Patrick won't be able to make it.

02/17/2010 - 1:00pm

Michele is having some connection problems.

02/17/2010 - 1:00pm

w

02/17/2010 - 1:01pm

We'll start in a couple of minutes.

02/17/2010 - 1:01pm

Locke Morrisey:k

02/17/2010 - 1:01pm

Melanee Vicedo:Locke, I'm glad you were able to make it!

02/17/2010 - 1:01pm

Locke Morrisey:Thanks. So am I!\

02/17/2010 - 1:02pm

For those who don't know, I'm a former REDC member and the liaison from the ACRL Board to REDC

02/17/2010 - 1:02pm

I haven't been able to make in person meetings at conference due to conflict with ACRL Board meetings

02/17/2010 - 1:07pm

Melanee Vicedo:Ok, it is 6 past 1 on my clock. 1 more minute. =)

02/17/2010 - 1:08pm

If it's ok with everyone here, we can start.

02/17/2010 - 1:08pm

Locke Morrisey:go for it

02/17/2010 - 1:08pm

Melanee Vicedo:Cool...

02/17/2010 - 1:08pm

Emily Love:sounds good

02/17/2010 - 1:08pm

Trevor A. Dawes:OK

02/17/2010 - 1:08pm

Melanee Vicedo:did everyone get a chance to look at the working paper outline?

02/17/2010 - 1:09pm

Trevor A. Dawes:yes.

02/17/2010 - 1:09pm

Emily Love:yes

02/17/2010 - 1:09pm

Melanee Vicedo:I think from the response (or lack of) it was approved by the committee.

02/17/2010 - 1:09pm

Locke Morrisey:yup

02/17/2010 - 1:09pm

Melanee Vicedo:"Lack of" meaning not a lot of changes were suggested!

02/17/2010 - 1:09pm

I didn't mean no one responded. =)

02/17/2010 - 1:09pm

Ok, so from the last meeting, midwinter...

02/17/2010 - 1:10pm

we agreed to send out the outline to the association for comments...

02/17/2010 - 1:10pm

before we started actual writing.

02/17/2010 - 1:10pm

Trevor A. Dawes:this is where I still get a little confused...

02/17/2010 - 1:10pm

Melanee Vicedo:Yes Trevor...

02/17/2010 - 1:10pm

Trevor A. Dawes:the working paper is stating why we're working on the guidelines, etc, but we aren't yet working on the guidelines

02/17/2010 - 1:10pm

...

02/17/2010 - 1:11pm

should we have the guidelines - in draft form before sending out

02/17/2010 - 1:11pm

that will accompany the working paper

02/17/2010 - 1:11pm

Locke Morrisey:I like that idea Trevor

02/17/2010 - 1:11pm

Melanee Vicedo:Actually, I need some clarification on this too!

02/17/2010 - 1:11pm

Locke Morrisey:Also, how will this be disseminated?

02/17/2010 - 1:11pm

Emily Love:and how far...

02/17/2010 - 1:11pm

Melanee Vicedo:Yes, that's what I was thnking when I was reviewing the notes.

02/17/2010 - 1:12pm

I talked to Margot and she has a list of groups she'll send out to...

02/17/2010 - 1:12pm

Emily Love:also, i woke up this morning, and i vaguely recall that we had talked about contacting the writers of the social work CC about using some of their language...

02/17/2010 - 1:12pm

(i'm getting ahead though)

02/17/2010 - 1:12pm

Melanee Vicedo:Office of Diversity...

02/17/2010 - 1:12pm

ACRL Communities of Practice Assembly...

02/17/2010 - 1:12pm

send to ACRLleads

02/17/2010 - 1:13pm

And Ethnic Caucuses

02/17/2010 - 1:13pm

Ethnic Caucuses came out of Dee's meeting with Office of Diversity.

02/17/2010 - 1:13pm

Can we back up a bit?

02/17/2010 - 1:13pm

Locke Morrisey:sure

02/17/2010 - 1:13pm

Melanee Vicedo:Let's go back to the working paper draft and outline....

02/17/2010 - 1:14pm

Hi Heleni...we are talking about the working paper, we just started.

02/17/2010 - 1:14pm

So, we are not sending out the outline. We intend to send out the draft. Correct?

02/17/2010 - 1:15pm

Trevor A. Dawes:I think it makes more sense to send the draft working paper - along with teh draft guidelines

02/17/2010 - 1:15pm

Heleni Pedersoli:Hi everybody! Just came from church. Today is Ash Wed. Sosrry I am a little late.

02/17/2010 - 1:15pm

Locke Morrisey:I would agree with Trevor. It gives all interested members a chance to be part of the process.

02/17/2010 - 1:15pm

Melanee Vicedo:Yes Trevor, I agree.

02/17/2010 - 1:15pm

Hi Heleni, no problem.

02/17/2010 - 1:16pm

Heleni Pedersoli:I am catching up with the posts.

02/17/2010 - 1:16pm

Melanee Vicedo:Ok, so right now, we do not have the draft. We only have an outline.

02/17/2010 - 1:16pm

Trevor A. Dawes:but, I also think we are well on teh way with the workign paper, so not much needs to be done there - just a few more tweaks

02/17/2010 - 1:16pm

Melanee Vicedo:Our next step is writing assignments for draft and guidelines.

02/17/2010 - 1:16pm

Trevor A. Dawes:and if we're sending the draft guidelines with it, some of the "next steps" will have to be revised....

02/17/2010 - 1:17pm

Melanee Vicedo:Yeah the guidelines are the ones that need to be written.

02/17/2010 - 1:17pm

Emily Love:in dividing up the guidelines, do you want to create a timeline?

02/17/2010 - 1:18pm

Melanee Vicedo:Yes, I think that's a good idea.

02/17/2010 - 1:18pm

It would be great to still have it prior to Annual.

02/17/2010 - 1:18pm

Heleni Pedersoli:Yeah, definitely timeline will help!

02/17/2010 - 1:18pm

Locke Morrisey:If you want the ACRL Board to discuss at Annual it needs to get to them by 5/28/10

02/17/2010 - 1:19pm

Melanee Vicedo:Should we send it out for comments before the Board discussion?

02/17/2010 - 1:19pm

Emily Love:YES

02/17/2010 - 1:19pm

i mean among us

02/17/2010 - 1:19pm

Heleni Pedersoli:I agree.

02/17/2010 - 1:19pm

Emily Love:the redc group should have some time to vet before sending anywhere

02/17/2010 - 1:19pm

so i'd say we should have it done a month or a few weeks prior to sending out period

02/17/2010 - 1:19pm

Locke Morrisey:I agree wtih Emily and Heleni

02/17/2010 - 1:20pm

Melanee Vicedo:It is mid Feb...I'm trying to think if we have enough time to write...

02/17/2010 - 1:20pm

what does the group think?

02/17/2010 - 1:20pm

that sounds good emily.

02/17/2010 - 1:20pm

Heleni Pedersoli:If it's a month than it will be April?

02/17/2010 - 1:20pm

Melanee Vicedo:So do we send it out to the association and Board at the same time?

02/17/2010 - 1:20pm

Locke Morrisey:Yes,

02/17/2010 - 1:20pm

Trevor A. Dawes:if, we we spoke about (and as Emily mentioned) we borrow some language from the Social Work folks, it shouldn't be too time consuming

02/17/2010 - 1:20pm

Heleni Pedersoli:I suppose that will be OK...

02/17/2010 - 1:21pm

Locke Morrisey:You're asking for comments, etc it could be done at the same time

02/17/2010 - 1:21pm

Melanee Vicedo:Trevor, yes that should help us.

02/17/2010 - 1:21pm

Locke Morrisey:You also need to consider whether getting it to Council is desirable by Annual or could it wait until Jan 2011

02/17/2010 - 1:21pm

Melanee Vicedo:Thanks Locke. I just didn't know how it all worked. So that makes it easier that we don't have to send it to the Board first then to the association.

02/17/2010 - 1:22pm

Locke Morrisey:Consider the Board as part of the association

02/17/2010 - 1:22pm

Heleni Pedersoli:all right, Locke...

02/17/2010 - 1:22pm

Melanee Vicedo:From my pov, I think we should keep running with this and try to get it to Annual.

02/17/2010 - 1:23pm

Emily Love:So what if you send out a call to divide up the guidelines and have people choose... with a deadline of like mid-april?

02/17/2010 - 1:23pm

Trevor A. Dawes:I think Council for this year is ambitious

02/17/2010 - 1:23pm

Emily Love:or early may

02/17/2010 - 1:23pm

Melanee Vicedo:Let's write and see what we have by early May?

02/17/2010 - 1:24pm

Heleni Pedersoli:Maybe end of April?

02/17/2010 - 1:24pm

Melanee Vicedo:Trevor, too ambitious? I'd like to get something out....but something substantial.

02/17/2010 - 1:25pm

Locke Morrisey:I think you all can get the work done it's getting all the discussions going and feedback from them etc that will take time

02/17/2010 - 1:25pm

Trevor A. Dawes:yes, because if we want the documents vetted by al of these groups, we would need to have this all done before Annual.

02/17/2010 - 1:25pm

Heleni Pedersoli:Which seems daunting to me...

02/17/2010 - 1:25pm

Trevor A. Dawes:it would also be good to send it in advance to Council so they can review the document before it comes to teh floor

02/17/2010 - 1:26pm

Melanee Vicedo:Good points everyone!

02/17/2010 - 1:26pm

Emily Love:isn't the point of the NDLC to be a first point of vetting?

02/17/2010 - 1:26pm

or am i wrong

02/17/2010 - 1:26pm

Trevor A. Dawes:so we can get all this work done, have teh reviews done at - or just after - Annual, send it to Council in the fall and hopefully have a Council vote in january

02/17/2010 - 1:27pm

there also - I forgot about NDLC (oops!)

02/17/2010 - 1:27pm

Melanee Vicedo:one of my main goals is to get us writing...so I like Trevor's timeline.

02/17/2010 - 1:27pm

Can we use NDLC as a kick off?

02/17/2010 - 1:28pm

Or is that not a good way to go?

02/17/2010 - 1:28pm

Emily Love:i like that

02/17/2010 - 1:28pm

Locke Morrisey:If you can have a forum format that would be useful

02/17/2010 - 1:28pm

@NDLC

02/17/2010 - 1:28pm

Trevor A. Dawes:we can work that out...

02/17/2010 - 1:29pm

Melanee Vicedo:we can certainly have the writing done by ndlc...and maybe send out to the association for comments on the same day?

02/17/2010 - 1:29pm

Locke Morrisey:Melanee you could but if NDLC is first and then association shortly thereafter that should be fine too

02/17/2010 - 1:29pm

Melanee Vicedo:hmmm....folks would need it before that to review for the ndlc

02/17/2010 - 1:30pm

that would be better locke.

02/17/2010 - 1:30pm

Ok...how does this sound to everyone:

02/17/2010 - 1:31pm

Locke Morrisey:If you get the draft ready a month or so before NDLC and then send it out to attendees that should get the ball rolling--at least virtually

02/17/2010 - 1:31pm

Melanee Vicedo:we'll start writing.

02/17/2010 - 1:31pm

Emily Love:and, the panel basically could serve as a forum so to speak

02/17/2010 - 1:31pm

maybe not

02/17/2010 - 1:31pm

Melanee Vicedo:Sounds good Locke.

02/17/2010 - 1:31pm

Emily, I think we can still talk about what we planned on but cut it short.

02/17/2010 - 1:32pm

It can still provide context to the guidelines.

02/17/2010 - 1:32pm

We'll just have to provide ample time for feedback.

02/17/2010 - 1:32pm

We'll start writing and have our deadline by mid-May....

02/17/2010 - 1:32pm

Locke Morrisey:Members WANT to be involved in the feedback process. You will have many passionate members re: guidelines at NDLC

02/17/2010 - 1:33pm

Melanee Vicedo:This gives the REDC time to review and change things before NDLC, which is in July 14-16

02/17/2010 - 1:33pm

Emily Love:so melanee - what if you sent out an email similar to the one you sent out in the fall?

02/17/2010 - 1:33pm

Melanee Vicedo:I agree Locke. I think we'll get plenty of comments, feedback.

02/17/2010 - 1:33pm

Emily Love:the one where people chose two guidelines to analyze

02/17/2010 - 1:34pm

but instead - choose two to write

02/17/2010 - 1:34pm

with x deadline

02/17/2010 - 1:34pm

Melanee Vicedo:Sounds good Emily.

02/17/2010 - 1:34pm

How does mid-May sound as a deadline?

02/17/2010 - 1:34pm

Trevor A. Dawes:procedural question for ocke: won't we want the ACRL board to accept the guidelines before we send to Council?

02/17/2010 - 1:35pm

for Locke (sorry)

02/17/2010 - 1:35pm

Locke Morrisey:It depends on what we're sending to Council

02/17/2010 - 1:35pm

Trevor A. Dawes:Ok - we can come back to that later then.

02/17/2010 - 1:35pm

Locke Morrisey:If it's someting more finalized then yes

02/17/2010 - 1:36pm

You could send to Board after NDLC and time for member feedback

02/17/2010 - 1:37pm

Melanee Vicedo:Good thinking Trevor. We don't want to step on anyone's toes.

02/17/2010 - 1:37pm

Locke Morrisey:I would not send it to Council unless it's in preparation for a vote at conference

02/17/2010 - 1:38pm

Melanee Vicedo:Are we on the same page with our next step, which is writing assignments for each REDC member?

02/17/2010 - 1:38pm

Emily Love:i am

02/17/2010 - 1:38pm

Heleni Pedersoli:Yes, sounds good.

02/17/2010 - 1:38pm

Melanee Vicedo:And I haven't been able to get in touch with the NASW people regarding usage of their guidelines.

02/17/2010 - 1:38pm

I will get on that!

02/17/2010 - 1:39pm

Emily Love:sounds great.

02/17/2010 - 1:39pm

Trevor A. Dawes:i can try as well - I have an aunt who is a member.

02/17/2010 - 1:39pm

Melanee Vicedo:We can still move forward with assignments though.

02/17/2010 - 1:39pm

Emily Love:how many are there of us?

02/17/2010 - 1:39pm

Melanee Vicedo:Thanks Trevor!

02/17/2010 - 1:39pm

Emily Love:that's awesome trevor:)

02/17/2010 - 1:39pm

Melanee Vicedo:there are 8 i believe...hold on.

02/17/2010 - 1:39pm

Trevor A. Dawes:hi Dee

02/17/2010 - 1:40pm

Melanee Vicedo:9

02/17/2010 - 1:40pm

Hi Dee

02/17/2010 - 1:40pm

Dee Holliday:sorry i'm late---short staff today

02/17/2010 - 1:40pm

Melanee Vicedo:9 including Michele

02/17/2010 - 1:40pm

glad you can make it Dee. We're still on the working paper.

02/17/2010 - 1:40pm

Dee Holliday:okay

02/17/2010 - 1:41pm

Melanee Vicedo:I'll send the call out for sign ups to write the different parts.

02/17/2010 - 1:41pm

Dee Holliday:did we decide whether we would send the working paper to the ethnic caucuses

02/17/2010 - 1:42pm

premature questions, we are assinging parts that need further work, right?

02/17/2010 - 1:42pm

Melanee Vicedo:Yes, they are on the list.

02/17/2010 - 1:42pm

Unless anyone has any objections to sending it out to the caucuses?

02/17/2010 - 1:42pm

Heleni Pedersoli:No objections here

02/17/2010 - 1:42pm

Melanee Vicedo:not a premature question =)

02/17/2010 - 1:43pm

Yes, Dee. The guidelines in particular.

02/17/2010 - 1:44pm

Are we ready to move on?

02/17/2010 - 1:44pm

Not too much left...

02/17/2010 - 1:44pm

Trevor A. Dawes:sure

02/17/2010 - 1:44pm

Emily Love:k

02/17/2010 - 1:44pm

Heleni Pedersoli:yep

02/17/2010 - 1:44pm

Melanee Vicedo:let's move on to Dee's email....

02/17/2010 - 1:45pm

Office of Diversity, as mentioned, will receive a copy of the guidelines so they can comment also.

02/17/2010 - 1:45pm

Ethnic Caucuses as well.

02/17/2010 - 1:45pm

And these emails will go out via Margot/ACRL

02/17/2010 - 1:45pm

Dee Holliday:sounds like a good plan

02/17/2010 - 1:46pm

Melanee Vicedo:Regarding the library schools, I think we decided against contacting the library schools for comment.

02/17/2010 - 1:46pm

Dee Holliday:yes, decided against the library schools

02/17/2010 - 1:46pm

Trevor A. Dawes:Yes, let's leave the LIS programs out and leave that for ALA - Council, COA and other groups to address

02/17/2010 - 1:47pm

Melanee Vicedo:And regarding the diversity info clearinghouse, this idea really needs to be fleshed out.

02/17/2010 - 1:47pm

I will take some time to think this through and how we can move forward with it.

02/17/2010 - 1:47pm

I agree Trevor and Dee.

02/17/2010 - 1:48pm

And I've been in touch with the diversity committee of the RBMS...

02/17/2010 - 1:48pm

Dee Holliday:Yes, i agree---needs to be fleshed out, but groups seem to be on board when the product is complete

02/17/2010 - 1:48pm

Trevor A. Dawes:if there's going to be a diversity info clearinghouse, shouldn't the COD take that task on?

02/17/2010 - 1:49pm

we can certainly contribute - as can other groups

02/17/2010 - 1:49pm

Melanee Vicedo:Yes, I think when this idea came about, the COD (in theory) would be the lead.

02/17/2010 - 1:49pm

And I think we all need more clarification on this since it's coming from REDC.

02/17/2010 - 1:50pm

Locke Morrisey:Ask COD early what they think of the idea and their willingness to take the lead.

02/17/2010 - 1:50pm

Melanee Vicedo:So I need to step back and look into this more.

02/17/2010 - 1:50pm

Sounds good Locke.

02/17/2010 - 1:50pm

Dee Holliday:Yes, it makes sense that COD would be the lead.

02/17/2010 - 1:51pm

Melanee Vicedo:I'll take the lead on it and contact COD.

02/17/2010 - 1:52pm

Re: RBMS....they wanted to have a liaison between our two groups...

02/17/2010 - 1:52pm

it seems like they are doing some great work...

02/17/2010 - 1:52pm

Heleni Pedersoli:Yes, RBMS always does great work.

02/17/2010 - 1:52pm

Melanee Vicedo:and their website is awesome! http://www.rbms.info/committees/diversity/index.shtml

02/17/2010 - 1:53pm

Trevor A. Dawes:I can reach out to their chair and invite them to send a liaison to our meetings.

02/17/2010 - 1:53pm

Melanee Vicedo:they also have a toolkit for discussing rbms careers in schools.

02/17/2010 - 1:53pm

Heleni Pedersoli:That will be great, Trevor.

02/17/2010 - 1:53pm

Melanee Vicedo:Sounds good Trevor.

02/17/2010 - 1:53pm

I've been emailing with the two diversity chairs and they are very open to it.

02/17/2010 - 1:53pm

Locke Morrisey:Even if the person is only virtual it would be fine.

02/17/2010 - 1:54pm

Dee Holliday:agreed.

02/17/2010 - 1:54pm

Melanee Vicedo:if anyone has a chance to look at the recruiting toolkit, it's good.

02/17/2010 - 1:54pm

Heleni Pedersoli:Virtual wouod be OK

02/17/2010 - 1:54pm

Melanee Vicedo:i agree on the virtual.

02/17/2010 - 1:54pm

wow, time flies!

02/17/2010 - 1:54pm

I'm done on my end. Anyone have business they'd like to discuss...

02/17/2010 - 1:54pm

floor is open...

02/17/2010 - 1:55pm

Trevor A. Dawes:nothing here

02/17/2010 - 1:55pm

Locke Morrisey:Thanks for letting me sit in!

02/17/2010 - 1:55pm

Melanee Vicedo:maria's not here to share sweet goodies. =)

02/17/2010 - 1:55pm

Dee Holliday:since i came in a bit late, are we moving foward the the guidelines and getting ready for the conference, and that's it.

02/17/2010 - 1:55pm

Melanee Vicedo:I'm glad you made it Locke!

02/17/2010 - 1:55pm

Dee, we will start writing the guidelines...

02/17/2010 - 1:56pm

i will send a call out to sign up for assignments..

02/17/2010 - 1:56pm

Trevor A. Dawes:Oh - another procedural point...

02/17/2010 - 1:56pm

Melanee Vicedo:and we will use the NDLC to start our reviewing process...basically our coming out party...

02/17/2010 - 1:56pm

Trevor A. Dawes:we got guidelines for announcing open meetings, so we'll need to be sure to advertise our next online meeting more widely - this is an open meeting

02/17/2010 - 1:56pm

Locke Morrisey:Thanks Trevor. That's a good point

02/17/2010 - 1:57pm

Melanee Vicedo:Yes!

02/17/2010 - 1:57pm

Thanks Trevor.

02/17/2010 - 1:57pm

What's the best way to advertise this?

02/17/2010 - 1:57pm

Trevor A. Dawes:good question; perhaps we'll have to check with Margot

02/17/2010 - 1:57pm

Melanee Vicedo:btw, i'll send out minutes to email and post on Connect.

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Ok, I'll check with her.

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Emily Love:ok - i have to run!

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Melanee Vicedo:she'll probably send it to the same groups we mentioned before.

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Emily Love:i'll wait for your email melanee

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Melanee Vicedo:Thank you everyone!!!

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Emily Love:bye!

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Melanee Vicedo:bye emily!

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Trevor A. Dawes:thanks, mel - and everyone

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Locke Morrisey:Yes, I'm at the Reference Desk myself in a minute. Later everyone

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Melanee Vicedo:Ok, I'm adjourning....

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Heleni Pedersoli:See ya, Emily!

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Melanee Vicedo:thanks all.

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Dee Holliday:bye guys

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Melanee Vicedo:anyone have questions, email me!

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Heleni Pedersoli:Thanks, Melanee, gd mtg!

02/17/2010 - 1:58pm

Melanee Vicedo:thanks Heleni