Emerging communications technologies - what is their role for GODORT?
At the Midwinter Meeting, the committee and guests discussed tools available for GODORT members to communicate. As the minutes show, these five were discussed at length and recommendations for the disposition of these tools were shared:
- ALA website (http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/rts/godort/index.cfm),
- ALA-sponsored wiki (http://wikis.ala.org/godort/index.php/Main_Page),
- ALA Connect (http://connect.ala.org/node/14),
- ALA-sponsored listserv (http://lists.ala.org/wws/info/godort) and an
- ALA-sponsored blog (http://www.godort.ala.org/news/).
It was generally agreed that
- The ALA website GODORT page should have its content migrated from the ALA site and be converted into a useful point of entry for the GODORT wiki and ALA Connect pages.
- The wiki will be the home of current information and recent content, including what GODORT has done and its current projects. The wiki will be the repository for GODORT activities including minutes, agendas, and free online publications.
- As ALA Connect includes both wiki and broadcast features, the committee sees it as offering organizational details for active GODORT members and those with committee appointments. As Connect offers granularity of membership access to information, it replaces closed email lists for committee discussion.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (the email list) cannot be maintained by GODORT and will be phased out in favor of ALA Connect.
- The blog was seen as desirable because it supported RSS feeds but may now be redundant.
There are at least three other communications tools that some members are using (some assuming an unofficial "godort" identity) which the committee would like to discuss:
What role should these play, if any, in official GODORT communications?
If you know of communications tools that are being used by GODORT members, please let the committee know so we can add them to this list for discussion. Thank you, and let the discussion start.
John Stevenson & Valerie Glenn
Co-Chairs, GODORT Ad Hoc Committee on Communications