PASDO Disc. Group, Session II, minutes 2010 midwinter
ACRL Personnel Administrators and Staff Development Officers Discussion Group
2010 Midwinter Meeting Agenda
Sunday, January 17, 2010
10:30 a.m. – 12 Noon
Westin Copley Place – Great Republic
- Welcome and Introductions
- Announcements from the Group
Possible change to Monday 10:30 am at ALA annual in DC due to a conflict.
3.Update: ARL Recruitment Efficiency and Outcome Study (Brian Keith)
Starting with a recap of discussion at midwinter, Keith gave a summary of the background of the survey, including lack of literature on the topic, and that it had been presented at annual for input from the ACRLPASDODG. Several people volunteered to help with the process.
Update: After incorporating the suggestions, the survey was beta tested, appears to work. Subsequent work will include efforts to make the survey easier. Keith has gotten a grant to hire a programmer/consultant to create web portal for access and reporting. U/Florida will warehouse data. Keith is presenting at the National Diversity in Libraries Conference this summer.
Questions from group:
- How will you add new places to advertise?
- Adjustments will be made periodically
- What about Canadian Libraries?
- Open to add Canadian libraries concerns
- Start with ARL institutions
- (Martha has contacts for salary survey); seems like 113 a good start
- Librarian only?
- Could be administrators, IT, whatever people want to add, be sure and categorize exempt/non-exempt. Using ARL’s definition of positions
- Not an ARL study?working with ARL to make the connection?
- Keith will make sure to call this the Academic Research Libraries Survey
- Employee Onboarding in Libraries (Jerome Offord)
Following up on the discussion at annual about onboarding practices, a cohort group from the SLIS program at Simmons surveyed the ACRLPASDODG group to determine ‘best-practices’ for onboarding new employees.
Offord began with a summary of the background of the SLIS program at Simmons, and how the group approached this project. The definition of ‘onboarding’ was discussed, to include new staff orientation. Handouts were distributed to the group, and will be made available to ACRLPASDODG members after the conference. Seventeen institutions responded for the request for documents.
Members of the cohort group discussed best practices identified in the study, including length of program, support systems, communication modes used, etc. They ended by offering suggestions which could be incorporated by libraries to promote retention of staff.
- Discussion: Monster.com Survey Report on Diversity Recruitment compiled by Tim Harmon Senior Staffing Specialist, College Relations and Diversity, Ashland (Jerome Offord)
Link to view and listen to the full 1 hour presentation by Monster.com's , Steve Pemberton. The survey shows that candidates are looking more at Monster, larger boards. Offord suggests we use Face book, social networking tools to recruit a more diverse pool. Ex.: Virtual open house for OCLC internship, 104 participants. In the open house, Offord used PowerPoint slides to introduce OCLC, internships, benefits, and how to apply. During the event, participants could send chat messages to Jerome to post to the page. At the same time, a virtual career fair was happening; students registered online
- 6. Other Discussion
- Offord: New/unique for diversity training: What if? by Steve L Robbins
Chapter 3: equal is not always fair; included four dialog sessions for managers. Make it specific to organization
- E-learning: Mind leaders resource
- L. Thompson/Dartmouth (100 million dollar cut)
- Will be recruiting, org. fluid.
- Looking for similar institutions; similar: Brown
- Staff Development handbook—4th edition: some chapters may be pulled; goal is for summer/fall publication;
- National Conference African American Librarians (NCAAL) – Birmingham, AL, Aug 5-8, 2010.
- Jerome Offord is developing a survey re. economic impact for the group
- OD discussion this afternoon
- Topics for discussion at Annual Meeting
GW’s HR person- Performance Management Process – Jean McCullough
Succession planning in ARL libraries – Jerome Offord / OCLC
E-learning-Julie Brewer / U-Delaware
Economic impact –Jerome Offord
Staffing assessment? Maybe Maureen Sullivan or Judy Sackett
Build morale-now what? Probably ongoing cuts --Kathleen Delong
Virtual meeting-- OCLC will host w/ WebEx