RUSA MARS Continuing Education Committee (Machine-Assisted Reference Section) Committee
Purpose and Initial Charge for the
MARS Continuing Education Committee
Purpose: To encourage the development of continuing education (CE) activities in MARS and to promote and advocate for those and other appropriate CE activities to MARS members, and the library community at large.
- Read and discuss the June 2008, Report of the MARS Task Force on Continuing Education and Publications (see attachment below);
- Consider the results of the survey in the June 2008 Report when encouraging CE activities;
- Promote CE within the MARS organization: specifically to the Executive Committee and to other appropriate committees and discussion groups;
- Create, and keep up-to-date, a Web-based list of CE activities which are outside of ALA and appropriate to the interests of MARS members; [see draft at http://connect.ala.org/node/81528 ]
- Arrange with the Executive Director of RUSA for a demonstration of ALA’s OPAL rooms;
- If the OPAL demonstration is successful and with the consent of the Executive Committee, encourage its use by MARS committees and discussion groups for suitable programs and act as the MARS contact with RUSA regarding MARS’ use of ALA’s OPAL rooms.
- Create a draft outline for an online course, Reference Tech 101, (See Section VI. B. of the June 2008 report) and solicit proposals from MARS members to teach the course as part of RUSA's Online Continuing Education (http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rusa/development/onlinece.cfm).
- Submit a proposal for the course to RUSA;
- With the Publications Committee:
- Promote MARS CE offerings to MARS members,
- Review programs for publishable material,
- Consider repeat program topics for online courses or Webinars,
- Explore the possibility of a partnership with WebJunction to provide information specifically for public librarians in the discussions, overviews and documents, in some way maintaining our MARS branding;
- Encourage the MARS Chair and other MARS representatives to ALA and RUSA to keep pressure on those organizations to continue with recent CE initatives, e.g. ALA’s upgrading the online communities and the ALA Connect Network; RUSA’s providing equipment for audio and video recording Section programs; improving access to CE on the ALA and RUSA Websites; and ensure that MARS is poised to take advantage of these initiatives;
- With Publications Committee and Webmaster: Ensure that MARS continuing education, publications, and web-based resources are linked from RUSA and ALA continuing education listings and announced broadly to MARS members, to RUSA and ALA members, and to the library profession;
- Explore what ALA Connect and CLENE (Continuing Library Education Network and Exchange Roundtable) may have to offer in regard to MARS CE activities