Minutes, July 11, 2009
ACRL STS Government Information Committee
ALA Annual Meeting
July 11, 2009, Chicago
Present: Damon Austin, Alison Ricker, Louise Richards, Cheryl McCoy, Tim Byrne.
Absent: Don Frank, Eleanor Randall, Lori Winterfeldt
Agenda and Meeting Notes
1. Review the list of Top Sci-Tech Govt Info web sites on the ACRL Wiki
To bring the list to STS Members’ attention, we decided that Alison should send out a message regularly (once a month or so, depending on other messages sent from the committee) highlighting a section or the list of the Wiki or specific web list.
Don’t overwhelm the list with messages; keep it brief, with link to ACRL Wiki.
Alison will to remind committee members of their areas of oversight for the govt info web sites (see Midwinter 2009 minutes).
Louise noted that the section on state web sites for Sci Tech govt info could be strengthened considerably; we will invite other STS members to “adopt a state” and add links. Louise will create a page on Wiki as a sign up form for state web sites; Alison will send message alerting STS members to this great opportunity!
Damon and Louise both offered to continue their oversight of assigned areas of the list on Wiki, even though they are not officially members of the committee in 2009/10.
2. Review social networking tools:
Facebook group - Decided to make this a Facebook page, for ease of updating with multiple news notes, links to other resources. Alison will migrate info to a Page, add all committee members as administrators, notify present fans, send a message to STS-L
ALA Connect community http://connect.ala.org
We will all login, make the Govt Info committee an active community on ALA Connect, utilizing both Facebook and ALA Connect to reach people in as many means as possible. All messages to STS-L from committee will include links to both.
**Question for STS Council II: what other committees are using ALA Connect and to what extent for committee business or for outreach to non-committee members?
3. Report from GODORT. Alison attended GODORT’s Committee on Legislation I on Friday. Resolutions to ALA Council are being finalized regarding funding for the Government Printing Office and FRPAA (Federal Research Public Access Act)
4. Report from ALA Legislative. No report yet. Alison will attend the first hour of ALA Washington Office Committee on Legislation/Legislation Assembly on Monday morning.
5. We learned the theme of 2010 conference will be “Federal Friends” – if approved by ACRL. Brainstormed agencies that we would like to hear from: Smithsonian, US Dept of Agriculture, US Geological Survey, EPA, NSF, NTIS, NOAA, US DOE/OSTI, Dept of Defense, NASA, Natl Library of Medicine, and the relatively new data.gov web site.