Gen X Leadership and Networking Community
Hello GenX Leadership and Networking Community! As someone who has long been involved in leading national-level leadership programs both for people at entry level and at the Dept Hd/AUL/AD level, it has concerned me that there has not been a national leadership development program specifically created for the middle group - GenX - whom I believe are going to be leading at senior levels sooner than most people are predicting.
The programs I have been involved with over time are ones such as the ARL Leadership & Career Development Program, the ARL Leadership & Management Skills Institutes, the ARL Leading from the Middle Institute, the Minnesota Institute for Early Career Librarians, the Spectrum Institute, and so on.
Benefits of some of these programs - from my point of view - are:
- Focused time on gaining better understanding of the role and practice of leadership
- Focus on self-awareness as a leader
- Development of personal leadership principles and vision
- Understanding of political aspects of leadership roles
- The development of a supportive cohort group that is lasting
- National visibility through participation in such a program (this cannot be underestimated!)
My questions for this group are:
1. Does such a national leadership development program need to exist?
2. What kind of content would be most useful to you?
3. Are there programmatic approaches (other than national leadership institutes) that would support you all as you take on these roles?
Point of self-disclosure: yes I am a boomer. My personal mission includes helping to develop library (and IT) leaders of the future.
Thanks for starting this group and for engaging in the important questions related to how you all will take on the mantles of leading the libraries of the future.