What Can I Do on ALA Connect?
Here's a quick list of things ALA members can do on ALA Connect.
- Log in using your ALA website username and password to personalize ALA Connect.
- Once you're logged in, you should be able to easily access any committees, divisions, round tables, and sections with which you're affiliated. Check out that "My ALA Groups" dropdown menu near the top of the page.
- We've pre-populated Connect with the more than 1,500 active groups from our membership database, so if you work with one of them, or if you want to post information to any of your groups, you can go to its home page and use the tools in the right-hand column. Click on the question mark in the corner of the tools box to learn more about each one.
- Want to do something less formal than "the work of the Association" right now? Find a community to join or start a new one. You get the same tools, and the content is totally up to you. Just make sure you read through our user guidelines before getting started.
- Curious to know if your friends are in Connect? With 62,000+ people here, it's a good bet the answer is yes. Use the member search to find them. When you're viewing another member's profile, there's an option underneath their picture to add them to your network. Start building your professional network now, because we'll start connecting you more closely to what your friends are doing. For example, if you create a conference schedule, you can see which of the people in your network are attending a particular session.
- While you're at it, make sure you fill out your own profile. This will help other members recognize and get to know you. If you're concerned about privacy and want to fully understand the options available to you, read through Frequently Asked Questions about Privacy in ALA Connect.
- Lastly, you might also want to consider turning on email from those groups you wouldn't mind receiving email from (like committees). To do that, go to the group's home page and click on "My subscriptions" in the right-hand column. Then click on the "enable" option and then the "submit" button. For step-by-step instructions, check out How to Set Your Email Preferences in ALA Connect.
If you're not an ALA member, you're welcome here, too. You can register on the site to create a Connect account that lets you join any open community and comment on any public content.