How Do I Start a New Discussion Topic?
- The first thing to remember is that you have to be a member of the group to post new content to it. Non-members can only view existing public content and comment on it.
- Go to your group's home page and click on the "Discussions" link in the right-hand column.
- In the middle of the page, you'll see a link to "Post a new forum topic."
- Give your topic a title by typing it in the "Subject" box.
- If your group is using "Categories," click on that word to open the category options. If your group isn't using categories, skip this step.
- Type what you want to say into the "Body" box.
- Choose whether you want the topic to appear publicly.
To make the event public, you must manually check the "Public" box. Otherwise only your group will be able to see it.
- Decide if you want to attach any files to the topic, such as an agenda or a document the group will discuss. This is a good opportunity to let each person download the file(s) themselves, rather than sending multiple attachments through email.
To attach a file, click on the phrase "File attachments." This will open the "Browse" button you can use to find the file on your hard drive. Once you've located the file, select it and click on the "Open" button.
- Check over all of the information you've entered and click on the "Submit" button to add this topic to the discussion forum. All group members who have configured their profiles to receive email from this group will get a notice of your new topic in their inbox.
- Remember that you can always come back and update the topic by viewing it and clicking on the "edit" tab.