RUSA RSS Library Services to the Spanish Speaking (Reference Services Section) Committee
Here is an agenda - or topics for discussion - for the Multilingual Library Services Committee virtual meeting. The meeting will take place Wednesday, December 16th, at 4pm Central. To call into the meeting, the phone number is 877-922-2496 and the code for entry is 79051364. All are welcome!
Agenda, Wednesday, December 16th, 4pm Central:
- Things to accomplish in the coming months
- What guidelines to revise (both, one or the other, combine)
- What approach to take to revisions (practical/ideal, resource list)
- Dividing up the work
- Any other ideas for projects, approaches
- Sessions to attend - report back to group
- Informal meet-up
- Next meeting
Thanks! Questions, email me at erin.hvizdak(at)wsu.edu
In light of our name change from the Committee on Library Services to the Spanish Speaking to the Committee on Multilingual Library Services, the goals for the year are as follows:
1) Review the current guidelines that were created by this committee in previous years: Guidelines for the Development and Promotion of Multilingual Collections and Services and Guidelines for Library Services to Spanish-Speaking Library Users. Determine overlap between the guidelines and explore where guidelines from other committees duplicate these efforts.
2) Reach out to ALA committees and membership at large for feedback on the possible revision of the above-named guidelines. Hold a discussion group at Midwinter (with a synchronous virtual space) and open up an asynchronous virtual space before and after Midwinter. Reach out to similar committees and groups for their direct feedback.
3) Based on reviews and feedback, decide whether or not to revise one or both guidelines, or combine the guidelines. Revise guideline(s) based on this decision.
The primary goal of the committee between July 1, 2014 and June 30, 2015 was to update the committee's name and charge.
Current Committee Name: Library Services to the Spanish Speaking
Current Committee Charge: To improve library services to the Spanish-speaking and Hispanic culture groups at the local and national levels.
Discussion took place before, during, and after Midwinter and the new name that proposed new name and charge were:
Proposed Name: Committee on Multilingual Library Services
Proposed Charge: To improve library services to multilingual patrons at the local and national levels.
The proposed name and charge were presented the RSS Board during RSS Board I at Annual in San Francisco and both were approved.
Just prior to Annual, a message was sent to RUSA Standards & Guidelines about what needs to happen to update the committee's guidelines in light of the new name and charge. The update process will get rolling in July or August 2016.
At Annual 2015 in San Francisco, the RSS Board approved changing the name of the Library Services to the Spanish Speaking Committee to the Committee on Multilingual Library Services.
The RSS Board also approved changing the committee's charge from "To improve library services to the Spanish-speaking and Hispanic culture groups at the local and national levels" to "To improve library services to multilingual patrons at the local and national levels."
Committee members realized that there were no other RSS committees focused on a language, so they decided to broaden the scope of the committee and its work to be more inclusive.
Next up is updating the committee's 2 sets of guidelines: "Guidelines for Library Services to Spanish-Speaking Library Users" and "Guidelines for the Development and Promotion of Multilingual Collections and Services."
If anyone would like to join the committee and help with updating the guidelines, contact one or both of the committee's co-chairs, Erin Hvizdak (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Margaret Bly (email@example.com).