Open Source Systems Interest Group (LITA) Community

In: Emerging Technologies, LITA Interest Groups (Library & Information Technology Association), Technology
48 members  |  About this group  |   Syndicate content
View:   Faces | List

Online Doc LITA Open Source Interest Group Agenda, ALA Midwinter

by Victoria Teal Lovely on Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 09:20 am

LITA Open Source Interest Group
ALA Midwinter
Saturday, January 25 
10:30-11:30 am
Marriott
Grand B

Agenda

  1. Introduction of participants & Updates
  2. Review IG Charge (below
  3. Proposals for conference programs and/or preconferences

We will follow the usual format of introducing ourselves and sharing our involvement and/or interest in open source.  

LITA Open Source Interest Group
ALA Midwinter
Saturday, January 25 
10:30-11:30 am
Marriott
Grand B

Agenda

  1. Introduction of participants & Updates
  2. Review IG Charge (below
  3. Proposals for conference programs and/or preconferences

We will follow the usual format of introducing ourselves and sharing our involvement and/or interest in open source.  

I would like to review the charge.  Does this reflect the needs of the attendees?

Charge: To encourage active participation in the open source community through developing, adapting, improving and fixing open source solutions for use in libraries. To promote the use of open source in libraries through education, distribution, and creating support structures to assist with appropriate implementation. To advocate for the development of appropriate standards and policies that are true to the spirit of the open source movement.

Finally, we will consider proposals for programs or preconferences at future ALA conferences.

More...

Discussion Midwinter 2013 meeting summary posted

by Galen Charlton on Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 02:56 pm

I've posted my official report of the meeting at http://connect.ala.org/node/199110.

Discussion LITA OSS IG meeting agenda, ALA Midwinter 2013

by Galen Charlton on Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 06:16 pm

 

The LITA OSS IG will be meeting tomorrow, Saturday, 26 January 2013 in the Discovery room at the Grand Hyatt Seattle, from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.There will be a brief business meeting with the following agenda:

 

The LITA OSS IG will be meeting tomorrow, Saturday, 26 January 2013 in the Discovery room at the Grand Hyatt Seattle, from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.There will be a brief business meeting with the following agenda:

  1. Renewal of the interest group
  2. Election of a new IG chair
  3. Proposals for conference programs and/or preconferences

However, the majority of the meeting will consist of a discussion of what folks have been up to with open source software for libraries.  We'll do the traditional round-the-table update, but in honor of the IG's renewal coming around, I'd also like to toss out the following topic for discussion:When's the last time you had to explain the concept of F/OSS to library management?  It's probably been a while.  But now that open source software has achieved a level of acceptance as part of the library IT ecosystem, what are the next steps?  What challenges face those who advocate for and deploy F/OSS in their libraries?

 

More...

Event Kuali OLE: Community Ready Software for Your Library!

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 01:08 am

Timezone:
US/Pacific (-7)

Kuali OLE (pronounced oh-lay) is in the first year of building a community-source library management system that takes advantage of existing Kuali Foundation software. Operating since July 2010, and supported by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, Kuali OLE is one of the largest academic library software collaborations in the United States. This program will provide an overview of our current software release and how you can get involved with Kuali OLE at your library.

Timezone:
US/Pacific (-7)

Kuali OLE (pronounced oh-lay) is in the first year of building a community-source library management system that takes advantage of existing Kuali Foundation software. Operating since July 2010, and supported by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, Kuali OLE is one of the largest academic library software collaborations in the United States. This program will provide an overview of our current software release and how you can get involved with Kuali OLE at your library.

More information about this conference session

More...

Discussion Other LITA OSS IG resources

by Galen Charlton on Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 10:28 am

A couple resources for the LITA Open Source Systems IG:

Discussion Agenda for 2011 Midwinter meeting

by Galen Charlton on Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 11:48 am

The next meeting of the interest group will be in room 31C at the San Diego Convention Center on Sunday, 9 January 2011 from 4 to 5:30.  Here are some agenda items.  If anybody has any additions, please let me know. 

Business meeting
- Report on the preconference at the past Annual
- LITA strategic plan
- Do a managed discussion for ALA Annual?
- Do another preconference or workshop?
- Organize a webinar?
- Campaign to post to the LITA blog?
- Any ideas for the the LITA sandbox server?

The next meeting of the interest group will be in room 31C at the San Diego Convention Center on Sunday, 9 January 2011 from 4 to 5:30.  Here are some agenda items.  If anybody has any additions, please let me know. 

Business meeting
- Report on the preconference at the past Annual
- LITA strategic plan
- Do a managed discussion for ALA Annual?
- Do another preconference or workshop?
- Organize a webinar?
- Campaign to post to the LITA blog?
- Any ideas for the the LITA sandbox server?

Open Source - the good stuff
- Discussion: trends in OSS in the past year
- Round the table: what cool things are we doing with F/OSS?

More...

Discussion Agenda for 2011 midwinter meeting in San Diego

by Daniel Lovins on Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 04:24 pm

Hi all.

As you may know, Galen Charlton and I are serving as co-chairs of OSS IG this year. I realize this group is fully capable of working without an agenda ;-)  but Galen and I have tossed around a few ideas and I'd be interested to know what others have on their minds. 

Would it be good to have one structured presentation (however informal) to help stimulate discussion?  One idea (from Galen, I think) is to have someome speak on the current status OLE project. Is there anyone in our group who could do that?

Hi all.

As you may know, Galen Charlton and I are serving as co-chairs of OSS IG this year. I realize this group is fully capable of working without an agenda ;-)  but Galen and I have tossed around a few ideas and I'd be interested to know what others have on their minds. 

Would it be good to have one structured presentation (however informal) to help stimulate discussion?  One idea (from Galen, I think) is to have someome speak on the current status OLE project. Is there anyone in our group who could do that?

Other topics might include the eXtensible Catalog, Solr-based discovery services, and Drupal. Of course there are many other OSS applications to chose from, this are just the ones that occur to me at the moment.

Having helped draft a kind of strategic plan, one question I had is whether it's worth exploring a joint-venture ALA program with another IG or LITA committe. No rush, obviously, but maybe something to think about.

Most importantly, though, it would be good to know what other IG members consider most urgent or interesting in the world of OSS.

Thanks.

Daniel

 

 

More...

Pages

Encourages active participation in the Open Source community through developing, adapting, improving and fixing Open Source solutions for use in libraries. Promotes the use of Open Source in libraries through education, distribution, and creating support structures to assist with appropriate implementation. Advocates for the development of appropriate standards and policies that are true to the spirit of the Open Source movement.

Subscribe to Open Source Systems Interest Group (LITA)