Syndicate content

ALA Committee on Diversity (COD) Committee

In: ALA Council, Diversity

Greetings all,

I have attached a report from the Office for Diversity that summarizes most of our major activities since last we met in June; many thanks to everyone for all of the amazing support you gave the Office for Diversity during these past 6 months!

1
View:   Faces | List
DiscussionsDiscussions
Discussions

Discussion Minutes from COD October 2017 Conference Call

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 09:12 am

Committee on Diversity
October 2017 Conference Call

Committee on Diversity
October 2017 Conference Call

ATTENDANCE (please indicate absent/present and identify the note-taker on the roster below)
• Martin L. Garnar (Chair, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) - present
• Mrs. Shauntee Burns-Simpson (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) – present
• Ms. Virgen Milagros Gonzalez (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) – absent
• Sukrit Goswami (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
• Ms. Amiya P. Hutson (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) – absent
• Rebecca J. Kemp (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
• Kelsey Dawn McLane (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
• Ms. Ella Mae Mulford (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
• Miriam C. Nauenburg (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) – present and note-taker
• Ms. Satia Marshall Orange (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present
• Mr. Jose Miguel Ruiz (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present
• Mr. Jesse Bernard Sanders, III (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
• Ms. Nichole Lynn Shabazz (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
• Mr. Stewart A. Shaw (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
• Ngoc-Yen Tran (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
• Ms. Tinamarie Vella (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent
• Sara Ahmed (Intern, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
• Tiana Trutna (Intern, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent
• Gwendolyn Prellwitz (Primary Staff Liaison, February 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) – absent

AGENDA
UPDATES
1) 2018 Conference Program accepted – discussion of next steps
a. Nichole, Shauntee, and Ella Mae volunteered for COD's conference planning subgroup to help outline our conference program
b. Next steps: Martin will connect the conference planning volunteers with Nancy Kranich from the Libraries Foster Community Engagement MIG to develop an outline for our program

2) REFORMA conference cancelled – note of support from COD received, discuss any follow-up
a. The RNC VI Conference, which was to be held in San Juan, PR, was canceled due to Hurricane Irma
b. REFORMA will not reschedule the conference but will go ahead with later conferences. REFORMA received refunds from the conference hotel and issued refunds to conference registrants.

3) The ODLOS Advisory Committee has a new Sub-committee on Serving Refugees, Immigrants, and Displaced Persons - questions and ideas can be sent to Chair Madeleine Ildefonso at mildefonso@lapl.org
a. No questions from the committee

NEW/ONGOING BUSINESS ITEMS
1) Review and Revision of Committee Charge (working group Tinamarie & Shauntee)
a. No updates from the working group

2) Responsible Spaces toolkit (see brainstorm from August call http://connect.ala.org/node/270553 and further action items from September call http://connect.ala.org/node/270551)
a. Martin's recap from last month: get library community input regarding what’s worked in creating responsible spaces and start gathering questions for the COD Responsible Spaces survey at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Co1aUmFUYN7h4PygOhmsGbQC2Z166cdpj8JM...
i. The committee formulated additional questions for the Responsible Spaces survey:
1. Advertising the library as an inclusive and welcoming space
2. Reassuring undocumented users during the library card registration process
3. "What help do you need from ALA to make progress on becoming a responsible space?" (marketing plans, etc.)
4. Defining a "responsible space"
5. Engaging the community in the development of library programs and services
6. Training staff in how to create a culture that supports responsible spaces
7. Bringing leadership on board
ii. Survey design: Ask people if they have offered programs at the beginning of the survey, and then branch out depending on answer
iii. Survey volunteers: Sukrit, Kelsey, Miriam, and Shauntee
b. Next steps: Martin will connect survey volunteers with Kathy Rosa in the Office for Research and Evaluation to refine the survey questions, design the survey, and develop a timeline for release

3) Scheduling future monthly conference calls – decide on standing date/time each month, if not an option staff liaison will distribute doodle polls for each month next week
a. Most people seem to prefer a standing committee meeting
b. Next steps: Martin will poll the group for the best standard meeting time

ADDITIONAL BUSINESS ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION?
REQUESTS to COD
1) COD members asked to contribute and assist in distributing the call for stories from the field “Equity, diversity, and inclusion challenges in libraries” – see https://goo.gl/forms/uodaQYL9BCwgQhDI2
a. COD members should share this document with their networks

2) COD members asked to contribute and assist in distributing call for questions to inform a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) resource on hate crimes in libraries – see https://goo.gl/forms/Zl9AjvZrsVop6bTx2
a. No questions from the committee

3) COD members asked to contribute (and feel free to share with your networks) ODLOS Advisory Committee request for input in developing recommended language that reflects the ODLOS Office's value of "creating safe, responsible and all-inclusive spaces that serve and represent the entire community.” See details at http://connect.ala.org/node/270555
a. Please add to this document if you have personal experience in a group or can advise on the language a group uses to describe itself

4) Announcements
a. John Amundsen is making steps toward recovery. Letters and cards may be sent to John c/o Gwendolyn Prellwitz in the ALA office.
b. YALSA Advancing Diversity Task Force: help make people comfortable coming into the library, and increase diversity in the profession
c. EDI Working Group will conclude its work at Annual 2019; at that time, any ongoing initiatives will need to have found a new home. This is an opportunity to advocate for more people and to recognize the task forces in YALSA, PLA, and other groups who are working on this important topic.

5) Next COD meeting
a. Tentatively scheduled for Tuesday 11/28 at 12:30 pm EST (Martin will send a poll)
b. Responsible Spaces survey questions
c. COD conference program details

More...

Discussion Preferred Language Request from the ODLOS Advisory Committee - reply request by November 17

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 01:52 pm

Hello Committee on Diversity! Here’s a request from the ODLOS Advisory Committee on a vocabulary/language project. Since we don’t represent a specific group, it would be hard for us to come up with a list of terms representing our “affiliate/organization”, so I would invite everyone to think about their own identity and make suggestions based on your experience.

Thanks, and looking forward to our call. 

Martin

Hello Committee on Diversity! Here’s a request from the ODLOS Advisory Committee on a vocabulary/language project. Since we don’t represent a specific group, it would be hard for us to come up with a list of terms representing our “affiliate/organization”, so I would invite everyone to think about their own identity and make suggestions based on your experience.

Thanks, and looking forward to our call. 

Martin

---
Martin Garnar
Dean, Kraemer Family Library
1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway, Colorado Springs, CO 80918
P 719-255-3115 | F 719-528-5227 | E mgarnar@uccs.edu | he / his / him | uccs.edu/library

We are reaching out to you on behalf of ALA's Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services (ODLOS) Advisory Committee Subcommittee on Language.

The Subcommittee seeks your input in developing recommended language that reflects the ODLOS Office's value of "creating safe, responsible and all-inclusive spaces that serve and represent the entire community.”

The preferred language for all of our represented groups will be posted on ODLOS's website with a recommendation that these terms be used by conference presenters, in public relations, and as a general informational guide for ALA members.

If you and those you represent have recommended terminology that represents your affiliate/organization, please send it to ODLOS (diversity@ala.org) by November 17th, 2017.

Please use as a subject line: “ODLOS Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Language.”

As an affiliate organization, your contribution to this project is very important to ODLOS.

Thank you for your response.

Sincerely,

ODLOS Advisory Committee, Subcommittee on Language:
Marti Goddard (ASCLA)
Julie Ann Winkelstein (SRRT)
Fu Zhuo (CALA)

-------
EXAMPLES of Preferred Language:

*from The National Down Syndrome Society website (http://www.ndss.org/Down-Syndrome/Preferred-Language-Guide/)
-------
USE THIS LANGUAGE WHEN REFERRING TO DOWN SYNDROME AND PEOPLE WHO HAVE DOWN SYNDROME

•People with Down syndrome should always be referred to as people first.

•Instead of "a Down syndrome child," it should be "a child with Down syndrome." Also avoid "Down's child" and describing the condition as "Down's," as in, "He has Down's.”

•Down syndrome is a condition or a syndrome, not a disease.

•People "have" Down syndrome, they do not "suffer from" it and are not "afflicted by" it.

•“Typically developing” or “typical” is preferred over “normal.”

•“Intellectual disability" or "cognitive disability” has replaced “mental retardation” as the appropriate term

•NDSS strongly condemns the use of the word "retarded" in any derogatory context. Using this word is hurtful and suggests that people with disabilities are not competent.
Down vs. Down's

•NDSS uses the preferred spelling, Down syndrome, rather than Down's syndrome.

•Down syndrome is named for the English physician John Langdon Down, who characterized the condition, but did not have it. An "apostrophe s" connotes ownership or possession.

•While Down syndrome is listed in many dictionaries with both popular spellings (with or without an apostrophe s), the preferred usage in the United States is Down syndrome. The AP Stylebook recommends using "Down syndrome," as well.

More...

Discussion Minutes from COD August 2017 Conference Call

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 01:29 pm

These Minutes were approved by email on September 5.

Notes for Committee on Diversity:

Meeting starting at 12:35 PM

Attendance

Martin L. Garnar (Chair, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) - present

Mrs. Shauntee Burns-Simpson (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) – present and note-taker

Ms. Virgen Milagros Gonzalez (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Sukrit Goswami (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present

These Minutes were approved by email on September 5.

Notes for Committee on Diversity:

Meeting starting at 12:35 PM

Attendance

Martin L. Garnar (Chair, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) - present

Mrs. Shauntee Burns-Simpson (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) – present and note-taker

Ms. Virgen Milagros Gonzalez (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Sukrit Goswami (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present

Ms. Amiya P. Hutson (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent

Rebecca J. Kemp (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present

Kelsey Dawn McLane (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Ms. Ella Mae Mulford (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Miriam C. Nauenburg (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present

Ms. Satia Marshall Orange (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present

Mr. Jose Miguel Ruiz (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present

Mr. Jesse Bernard Sanders, III (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Ms. Nichole Lynn Shabazz (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Mr. Stewart A. Shaw (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Ngoc-Yen Tran (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Ms. Tinamarie Vella (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present

Sara Ahmed (Intern, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Tiana Trutna (Intern, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent

Gwendolyn Prellwitz (Primary Staff Liaison, February 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) - present

John is having health problems, huge supporter of the committee. Please send well wishes and words of encouragement to him.

Discussion for the responsible spaces task. Brainstorming/Discussion:  

“Directs the Committee on Diversity, with the support of the Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services and the ODLOS Advisory Committee, to develop, provide, and disseminate materials and programming for libraries that deter hate, foster community, and oppose bigotry toward or oppression against any group.”

Program Ideas:

Courageous Conversation Criteria

Toolkit for Midwinter

Gathering examples from what other libraries are doing, descriptions, resources, guidelines

Working with the King organization- Bernice King

Training on how to facilitate difficult conversations- give the skills & tools

Pre-Conference & Workshop @ Annual (due September 5th)

Preconference – details must be finalized 11/15/2017, next step: Martin will discuss with ODLOS Advisory to check on what is in the works.

Crowdsourcing of marketing, images, created to share

Work with Office of Social Freedom

Work with Civic Engagement interest group (training)

Look at State libraries to give out information (state listservs)

Social Media (like ALA think tank)

Peaceful Assembly

The Human Library

Various forums

Graphic libraries for welcoming/inclusion

Comprehensive place for everything/Resources

Communication Tips/Scenarios (for training, staff meetings, etc)

Work with various Task Forces/Affiliates

Program Proposal (for ALA’s Annual- Due September 5th):

Miguel, Martin, Sukrit, Shauntee, Rebecca (proofing) Send to full group for response

Top Priority:

Program Proposal

Toolkit

Areas you want to work on/Creating Content

Current Charge for the Committee needs to be updated. History of the charge has been shared on the email list. 

The ODLOS Advisory Committee Charge is below:  

The Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services (ODLOS) Advisory Committee provides advice and support to the ODLOS on the areas of diversity, literacy and outreach.  The Advisory Committee is comprised of member groups that represent diverse viewpoints and constituents and will provide a two way forum to communicate member needs to ODLOS and for the Office to share information with member groups.  The Advisory Committee members will offer dynamic perspectives to help guide the strategic direction of ODLOS, will assess program effectiveness, encourage the exploration of new ideas and initiatives, and strengthen the growth of equity and inclusion within the American Library Association and the profession as a whole.  Members are appointed to the ODLOS Advisory Committee through recommendations from the Presidents/Chairs of the stakeholder committees and organizations, with an additional three members appointed by the ALA President-elect.

See http://www.ala.org/aboutala/committees/ala/ for links to all Council and Association Committees charges/rosters.

Homework Assignment:

See what you want to change for the current charge of the committee. It has been 15 years since it was revised.

Tinamarie & Shauntee look over the charge for adjustment. (Will be on the next meeting’s agenda.)

Next meeting will be on September 5, 2017 *A few minutes set aside to review the final program submission.

Meeting Closed @ 1:35 PM

More...

Discussion Minutes from COD September 2017 Conference Call

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 01:25 pm

Committee on Diversity | Conference Call : 9/5/17

Committee on Diversity | Conference Call : 9/5/17

Attendees:
Martin L. Garnar (Chair, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) - present
Mrs. Shauntee Burns-Simpson (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) – present
Ms. Virgen Milagros Gonzalez (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
Sukrit Goswami (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
Ms. Amiya P. Hutson (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent
Rebecca J. Kemp (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
Kelsey Dawn McLane (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
Ms. Ella Mae Mulford (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
Miriam C. Nauenburg (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present
Ms. Satia Marshall Orange (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present
Mr. Jose Miguel Ruiz (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) – present and note-taker
Mr. Jesse Bernard Sanders, III (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
Ms. Nichole Lynn Shabazz (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
Mr. Stewart A. Shaw (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
Ngoc-Yen Tran (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
Ms. Tinamarie Vella (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent
Sara Ahmed (Intern, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
Tiana Trutna (Intern, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent
Gwendolyn Prellwitz (Primary Staff Liaison, February 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) - present

Discussion Minutes

2017 ALA Program Proposal DRAFT Finalized
• Received feedback from Libraries Foster Community Engagement Membership Group
• Deadline for submission on Tuesday, September 5, 2017
• Feedback from COD Committee
o Suggestion of adding the Diversity MIG as a co-sponsor
o Overall good proposal, suggestion of minimize language and text; may be overwhelming for audience. Let presenters discuss the details.
o Proposal sounds similar to human library; discussion on deliberative dialogue
o Program should focus on how-to and best practices
o Difference in selection process for committee program proposals; limited selection and maximum time slot of 90 minutes
o Move additional short description language to the long description. Keep original short description language.
o Discussion of Preconference vs. Program
• Approved addition of Diversity MIG as a co-sponsor to the event
• ACTION: Martin Garnar will update draft and submit proposal

Review of ALA Charge Review
• Postponed review

Toolkit Development Discussion
• Solicit for community information and resources from library community
o Documentation, reports, feedback, success, etc.
• Pool list of libraries and professionals developing and implementing programming
• Facilitate information for collaboration resources
• Develop a survey to gather information and resources
o Develop Google Doc to pool potential questions
o ACTION: Martin Garnar will create document and send out to committee
o ACTION: Membership to add potential questions
• Partner with ORE (Office for Research and Evaluation) to develop survey instrument

Satia Orange: Additional Agenda Items
• REFORMA Conference cancelled
o Recommendation for commending organization for cancelling conference due to Hurricane Irma
o Action: Martin Garnar to send communication to assist organization
• Update on John’s status and sending our thoughts via cards and communication

More...

Discussion Diversity MIG

by Jody Gray-IL (staff) on Tue, May 23, 2017 at 05:52 pm

Join the Diversity MIG http://connect.ala.org/node/229994

Discussion Sharing best practices for cultural competency: Call for Participation

by Rebecca Kemp on Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:00 pm

The American Library Association’s Diversity Member Initiated Group (MIG) invites you to participate in an ongoing discussion in ALA Connect and a facilitated discussion at ALA Annual Conference.

The American Library Association’s Diversity Member Initiated Group (MIG) invites you to participate in an ongoing discussion in ALA Connect and a facilitated discussion at ALA Annual Conference. We’re looking to collectively build an online library of conference and online presentations, trainings, and articles touching on institutional best practices around developing cultural competency in the next few months.  We’ll then review materials and discuss what ALA can do to foster best practices for cultural competency at our Annual Conference discussion on Sunday afternoon.  Join the conversation now in the MIG at http://connect.ala.org/node/229994 and add resources to the pinned post.  Please consider sharing this call for participation with your networks.

The mission of the Diversity Membership Initiative Group is

  • To provide a space for success stories and best practices and broadly highlight examples of activities that have improved services and fostered organizational change.
  • To provide a community of practice for members to discuss ideas, concepts, and methods to positively impact library services to increasingly diverse populations.
  • To provide a base for deepening our discussion and collective understanding of diversity and inclusion issues across our professional organizations.

All are welcome to join the MIG!

More...

Discussion Agenda for September 2016 conference call

by Miriam Nauenburg on Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 07:33 am

Hello all,

Attached please find the agenda for our conference call today, Wednesday 9/28 at 1 PM EST.

Best,
Miriam Nauenburg

Discussion Agenda for August 2016 conference call

by Miriam Nauenburg on Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 11:02 am

Hello all,

Attached please find our agenda for the conference call tomorrow, Thursday 8/25, at 1 PM EST. I look forward to meeting with you then!

Best,
Miriam Nauenburg

Discussion Diversity-related Programming and Events at ALA Annual 2015

by Matthew Ciszek on Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Due to requests from the ALA Membership to highlight diversity-related programming at ALA Conferences, the ALA Committee on Diversity has compiled a list of diversity-related programming and events scheduled at the 2015 ALA Annual Conference. This list can be accessed using the Conference Scheduler through the following link:

http://alaac15.ala.org/sessions/all?tags=diversity

We hope that everyone enjoys the great city of San Francisco and the many diversity-related programs and events being offered.

Discussion COD Conference Call Agenda: March 9, 2015

by Alanna Aiko Moore on Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 03:55 pm

COD Conference Call Agenda: March 9, 2015

 

  1. Introductions (All)
  2. Approval/additions to the agenda (All)
  3. Volunteer for taking minutes
  4. Approval of minutes from Midwinter 2015 Meeting (All)
  5. Office for Diversity
  6. COD Project List (Project members)
  • Update from committee members on their projects
  • Revisit action items and progress

7. Diversity Council Proposal

COD Conference Call Agenda: March 9, 2015

 

  1. Introductions (All)
  2. Approval/additions to the agenda (All)
  3. Volunteer for taking minutes
  4. Approval of minutes from Midwinter 2015 Meeting (All)
  5. Office for Diversity
  6. COD Project List (Project members)
  • Update from committee members on their projects
  • Revisit action items and progress

7. Diversity Council Proposal

  • Discussion on proposal to disband Diversity Council, submitted by Chair, Megan Drake
  • Changes or additions before we submit to ALA Committee on Organizations?

8. ALA Annual 2015 Program

9. COD Subcommittee Updates

  • Spectrum Advisory Council
  • Diversity Council
  • Diversity Research Grants

 

10. Other Diversity Group Updates

  • COD/COE Working Group
  • Diversity Member Interest Group
  • Task Force for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion

 

11. Liaisons to Other ALA Committees: Informal Reports and Updates

  • ALA Diversity Councilors
  • Advocacy Committee
  • Legislative Assembly

 12.  Adjournment

 

More...

Pages

To provide a forum to research, monitor, discuss, and address national diversity issues and trends. To analyze and address the impact of diversity issues and trend on the profession, and the relevance and effectiveness of library leadership, library organizations and library services to an increasingly diverse society. To provide to Council and ALA membership information, needed for the establishment of ALA policies, actions and initiatives related to national diversity issues and trends....

Subscribe to ALA Committee on Diversity (COD)