Syndicate content

ALA Committee on Diversity (COD) Committee

In: ALA Council, Diversity

Greetings all,

I have attached a report from the Office for Diversity that summarizes most of our major activities since last we met in June; many thanks to everyone for all of the amazing support you gave the Office for Diversity during these past 6 months!

1
View:   Faces | List
DiscussionsDiscussions
Discussions

Online Doc Minutes from COD May Conference Call

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Wed, May 31, 2017 at 03:04 pm

MINUTES
Committee on Diversity
May 24, 2017 Conference Call

Thank you to Tiana Trutna for recording the minutes!

ATTENDANCE

MINUTES
Committee on Diversity
May 24, 2017 Conference Call

Thank you to Tiana Trutna for recording the minutes!

ATTENDANCE

  • Martin L. Garnar (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) Chair Presiding - present
  • Mr. Jason Monroe Broughton (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Holly Clark Carroll (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Ms. Amiya P. Hutson (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018)
  • Ms. Laura Lanning (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Miriam C. Nauenburg (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018)
  • Ms. Satia Marshall Orange (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present
  • Ms. Karen Patricia Quash (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Ms. Gloria L. Rhodes (Member, October 20, 2016, to June 30, 2017) – present
  • Mr. Jose Miguel Ruiz (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present
  • Mr. Jesse Bernard Sanders, III (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Mrs. Yvonne C. Stephenson (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017) - present
  • Mrs. Fantasia A. Thorne-Ortiz (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Ngoc-Yen Tran (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Ms. Tinamarie Vella (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018)
  • Rebecca J. Kemp (Intern, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Tiana Trutna (Intern, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) – present and recorder
  • Jody Gray (Staff Liaison) - present
  • Gwendolyn Prellwitz (Primary Staff Liaison) – present
  • Mike Marlin (Executive Board Liaison) – present

REPORTS

I. EDI Strategic Direction Draft Implementation Plan – Jody Gray
Background: The new EDI strategic direction was approved by Council at Midwinter.  Now begins the work of defining what success will look like, including measures.  A Draft Implementation Plan has been written by Mary Ghikas and Jody Gray, and presented to the Executive Board at its Spring Meeting.

ALA is currently seeking feedback on the outcome measure/sign of success for each strategy through July 31.  Please feel free to share the public link to the draft implementation plan for the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Strategic Direction: http://connect.ala.org/node/266608. The goal is to have the plan finalized and presented to the Executive Board at its Fall 2017 Meeting.

See UPCOMING BUSINESS for additional Committee on Diversity actions requested.

II. COD Leadership on development of implementation plan for specific EDI Strategies – Martin Garnar
Background: COD is the first member group being consulted and asked to lead creation of and ongoing monitoring of the implementation plan for the EDI Strategic Direction.  Strategies 5 and 10 have been identified as in the scope of the Council Committee on Diversity. These two will be used as a pilot to identify ways to implement the ten strategies. Key to understand is how do we know that we’ve made any impact and that it’s not just lip service.

See UPCOMING BUSINESS for additional Committee on Diversity actions requested.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

I. Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Working Group EDI Recommendations for COD action – Martin Garnar
Background: The Task Force on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion issued a Final Report including 59 recommendations for the Association in June 2016.  21 recommendations were identified as requiring Committee on Diversity assistance at that time.  An EDI Implementation Working Group was formed to implement the Task Force’s recommendations in consultation with the units and groups identified in the initial report. 

In December 2016, Keith Michael Fiels (ALA Executive Director), Mary Ghikas (ALA Associate Executive Director), and Jody Gray (ALA Director, Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services) reviewed the recommendations and came up with a preliminary plan for addressing the recommendations. All the recommendations remain, but a couple of the recommendations were broken down further, bringing the total up to 61. A few changes were made to the list of referrals. 21 recommendations were initially assigned to the Committee on Diversity (COD). 15 of the recommendations fit better with the Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services (ODLOS) Advisory Committee. The Advisory Committee did not exist when the recommendations were being developed. The six remaining recommendations for COD implementation have been posted in ALA Connect: http://connect.ala.org/node/266609.

See UPCOMING BUSINESS for additional actions requested on the 6 EDI recommendations referred to COD.

UPCOMING BUSINESS

I.  EDI Strategic Direction Draft Implementation Plan

  • Feel free to share the draft implementation plan and engage others (at the local level) in giving feedback on the outcome measurements.
  • In addition to sharing this out, it would be really helpful to have your feedback on the measurements of success for all of the strategies – is this the right track, is there a different lens, are we missing opportunities?
  • For Strategies 5 & 10, we will work this summer on developing Logic Models (framework being used for other ALA Strategic Directions). After the implementation plan and measures of success have been defined for all strategies, COD can focus on filling out the logic models for 5 &10 to track and monitor how well the strategy implementations are working.
  • Satia Orange and Martin Garnar have volunteered to focus on Strategy 5, and Gloria Rhodes, Miguel Ruiz and Tiana Trutna have volunteered to focus on Strategy 10.  Any other volunteers?
  • What questions or comments do we have now for Jody?

Q: Can we share these documents with our representatives at the local level? How do we connect the regional efforts with the state efforts?
A: Yes!  This is a public document (with caveat that this is a draft)
Q: What kind feedback specifically are we looking for?
A: Some of the strategies are vague and we are looking for guiding feedback from a broad group of stakeholders, and others have some concepts already. We are looking to hear from members if we are on the right track, missing a valuable perspective, or need to redefine success.   

II. 6 EDI recommendations referred to COD for implementation

  • Please be sure to review the full list of recommendations and the 6 referred to COD to ensure that the Committee is in agreement with the items it will implement and that everyone has evaluated whether or not any other recommendations should be on COD’s radar.
  • Looking for volunteers to work with the Exhibitor’s Round Table on Recommendations 2.5: Encourage diversity among exhibitors and their representatives participating in ALA Annual Conference and/or Midwinter Meeting and/or other ALA activities, in alignment with ALA's policy on equity, diversity and inclusion (B.3), and 2.6: Identify and implement an incentive program for vendors who strive to meet the diversity goals of recommendation 2.5 in a meaningful way.   
  • Look for ways the Association can have sustainable approaches to monitoring progress on the 61 recommendations – Satia is worried about responsibility falling on staff. Suggested that the EDI-IWG look at creating a reporting form for groups who were referred recommendations to input activities.

III. Council Action at Annual - Definitions, as noted in EDI recommendations and strategic direction

  • Looking to have COD request Council add the EDI definitions created by the Task Froce to ALA policy manual. Note, this will fulfill Recommendation 4.2a: Add the definition of EDI developed by the TF to the ALA Policy Manual.  
  • Desire to give a higher profile to this committee within council through more frequent action requests.
  • Goal is to take a more visible and active role for council as we don’t always come to mind as a committee for issues surrounding diversity.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Save the date for the upcoming meetings at Annual:

 

More...

Online Doc Minutes from COD March Conference Call

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Tue, May 23, 2017 at 06:18 pm

Committee on Diversity
Meeting Notes: March 7, 2017

Attendees: Martin Garnar, Rebecca Kemp, Karen Quash, Gwendolyn Prellwitz, Gloria Rhodes, Ngoc-Yen Tran, Jason Broughton, Tinamarie Vella, Jose Miguel Ruiz, Loida Garcia-Febo (guest)

Recorder: Ngoc-Yen Tran

Committee on Diversity
Meeting Notes: March 7, 2017

Attendees: Martin Garnar, Rebecca Kemp, Karen Quash, Gwendolyn Prellwitz, Gloria Rhodes, Ngoc-Yen Tran, Jason Broughton, Tinamarie Vella, Jose Miguel Ruiz, Loida Garcia-Febo (guest)

Recorder: Ngoc-Yen Tran

Introductions

  • Introductions were made and attendance recorded
  • Guest: Candidates for ALA Office (Loida Garcia-Febo)
    Loida is running for ALA President; she presented her case to the group and answered questions

New Business

Update on the EDI Strategic Direction (Martin G.)

Background:
• A fourth strategic direction was approved at ALA Midwinter to include equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI)
• Strategies drawn together by the EDI Task Force, implementation of the strategies overseen by the EDI Implementation Group, and long-term monitoring will be done by the ODLOS Advisory Committee
• Implementation timeline: 2 years
-It would be a good idea for us to collaborate with the implementation and group and with ODLOS as advisors – pointing to needs and specific initiatives or strategies
-The COD will need to explore the impact of the new strategic direction on the group, especially our charge. Our next meeting we will focus on the EDI strategic direction and explore COD’s role 

Update on subcommittee transfer (Gwendolyn P)

Background: COD had subcommittees for programs such as Spectrum and the Diversity Research Grant
Update: These subcommittees have been moved to be part of the ODLOS Advisory Committee

Diversity MIG

Facilitated Discussion at Annual 2017 and best practices virtual round-up (Rebecca K., Tiana T., Karen Q.) http://connect.ala.org/node/229994 (Note this event has now been cancelled)

  • Survey results indicated that cultural competency is a topic of interest 
  • MIG will put on a session on Sunday at Annual Conference 2017 on: “What can ALA do to foster best practices for cultural competency?” It will be a conversation as well as a facilitated discussion. A facilitator still needs to be identified.
  • Larger goal of MIG is to make presentations and articles accessible on topics that we focus on.
  • If you have ideas or facilitator suggestions, send those along to Rebecca, Tiana, or Karen

Update on discussion with Diversity Councilors at ALA Midwinter (Martin G.)

The COD wanted to know if there were ways that we could work more closely with the Diversity Councilors (supporting them as well as keeping abreast on topics discussed at Council meetings)
There is an email list that is hosted by Kent State
Idea: Create an ALA Connect group so that we can have conversations all in one place (as opposed to having parallel discussions in our separate Connect communities). Next step will be to reach out to the conveners of Diversity Council group to create this ALA Connect group.

COD priorities for the next five months 

Major focus will be to update the charge for COD
 Scheduling Monthly meetings - Everyone was okay with monthly meeting/call (we can cancel if we do not need to meet)

Update from IFC Joint Group (Martin G.)

Library Bill of Rights on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Libraries -  Structure was based on Access to Library Resources and Services Regardless of Sex, Gender Identity, Gender Expression, or Sexual Orientation document. Please give feedback – deadline is May 1st
• Comment on the ALA Connect page
• Email any IFC member
• Martin will send out email to COD and we can comment; Martin and Jesse will compile our comments
• One comment already: Liked the definitions and the consistent language

Adjournment

Adjourned at 9:54AM PST
Doodle polls will be sent out for our meeting. At the next meeting we will discuss the COD’s role in the EDI strategic directions (places where we want to focus on and where we should encourage other groups to take action)

More...

Online Doc Committee Update report filed for ALA Midwinter Meeting

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 11:12 am

Below is the committee update report provided to ALA's Governance Office for posting on (http://www.ala.org/aboutala/2017-midwinter-meeting-committee-information...). 

Committee on Diversity (COD) Midwinter Conference Report
2017 Midwinter Conference
Atlanta, GA

Submitted by Miriam C. Nauenburg, Chair 2016-2017

Below is the committee update report provided to ALA's Governance Office for posting on (http://www.ala.org/aboutala/2017-midwinter-meeting-committee-information...). 

Committee on Diversity (COD) Midwinter Conference Report
2017 Midwinter Conference
Atlanta, GA

Submitted by Miriam C. Nauenburg, Chair 2016-2017

Committee members: Chair Miriam Nauenburg, Jason Monroe Broughton, Holly Clark Carroll, Martin L. Garnar, Ms. Amiya P. Hutson, Laura Lanning, Satia Marshall Orange, Karen Patricia Quash, Gloria L. Rhodes, Jose Miguel Ruiz, Jesse Bernard Sanders, III, Yvonne C. Stephenson, Fantasia A. Thorne-Ortiz, Ngoc-Yen Tran, Tinamarie Vella, Rebecca J. Kemp (Intern), Tiana Trutna (Intern), Jody Gray (Primary Staff Liaison)

Accomplishments:

  • August 2016 conference call: Final Report of the TF-EDI; Diversity MIG renewal planning; collaborative opportunity with IFC; Resolution on Transgender Health Access
  • September 2016 conference call: Gun Violence Working Group "Resolution on Gun Violence"; EDI-IWG update; Diversity MIG next steps; Annual program discussion; Intersections Blog from ODLOS
    • Gun Violence resolution: COD provided feedback on the Gun Violence Resolution Working Group's draft "Resolution on Gun Violence". This product will be presented for consideration to the Committees on Intellectual Freedom and Legislation for further discussion before being transmitted to Council for possible action at Midwinter 2017.
    • Collaboration with Intellectual Freedom Committee (IFC): The COD appointed two volunteers (Martin Garnar and Jesse Sanders) to assist the IFC with drafting a Library Bill of Rights on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Libraries.
    • Diversity MIG: thanks to the efforts of COD interns Tiana Trutna and Rebecca Kemp, the Diversity MIG renewal petition was successful. Next steps: Rebecca Kemp and Miriam Nauenburg will present the MIG for renewal at the Midwinter meeting of the Committee on Organization.

Planned Activities:

  • COD plans to present a program on our Diversity MIG (survey and discussion) at Annual 2017.

Issues that affect the committee's work and their implications for the future:

  • Final Report of the TF-EDI: how much work can be absorbed by existing staff and groups? Some of the recommendations are already in place in the organization.
  • We are hopeful that the Diversity MIG's petition for renewal will be approved by COO. One of the goals of the Diversity MIG is to provide a base for deepening our discussion and collective understanding of diversity and inclusion issues across our professional organizations.

Interactions with other units within ALA:

  • Diversity Councilors Caucus: COD chair Miriam Nauenburg and new staff liaison Gwendolyn Prellwitz will meet with Diversity Councilors at Midwinter. The COD is interested in exploring opportunities for new Diversity Councilors to engage with the COD and is especially interested in hearing from more experienced Councilors in this area.
  • Collaboration with Intellectual Freedom Committee (IFC): The COD appointed two volunteers to assist the IFC with drafting a Library Bill of Rights on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Libraries.
  • TF-EDI recommendations: the EDI-IWP report was accepted, and the EB will be working with staff and various groups (including the working group) to move forward, using the recommendations as a guide. COD is considering priorities in this area, whether we should create working groups to address our pieces of the report, etc.

Relationship of the committee's work to the ALA strategic plan:

New strategic direction of EDI: President-Elect Jim Neal has moved to amend the ALA Strategic Plan with the addition of a fourth strategic direction: Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.

  • COD has provided feedback both under its own name and in its capacity as an advisory group to ODLOS. Concerns from the committee include the possibility of increasing funding for other members (not just Spectrum Scholars),
  • Moving forward COD will consider whether to revise its charge in light of the new EDI strategic direction.

Current level of committee members' involvement:

The group is active in attending committee meetings and providing feedback as requested.

Committee self-check on its value and viability:

  • COD would like the Diversity Councilors to have a voice in the committee. Our meeting with the Diversity Councilors at Midwinter is a first step in this direction. A question for us to consider is, how are we going to work over the next six months to have a strong relationship with Council as a Council Committee. 
  • COD's two subcommittees – the Spectrum Advisory Subcommittee and the Diversity Research Grant Advisory Subcommittee will now report to the ODLOS Advisory Committee, as these committees are programmatic in nature and benefit from information sharing with the groups represented on the ODLOS Advisory Committee.

Other issues: None at this time.

More...

Online Doc 2016 ALA Annual, Orlando, FL Diversity Releated Events

by Jody Gray-IL (staff) on Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 10:57 am

For a list of diversity related events at ALA Annual Conference in Orlando, FL, please share this link: https://sites.google.com/site/diversityrelatedevents/

Online Doc COD Agenda Midwinter 2016

by April Grey on Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 03:36 pm

Online Doc COD Agenda_ ALA Annual 2015

by Alanna Aiko Moore on Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 11:07 am

 

Agenda
Committee on Diversity
2015 ALA Annual Conference San Francisco, CA

Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:00am to 12:00pm
Parc 55 San Francisco, Mission Room
Alanna Aiko Moore, Chair Presiding

Committee Roster:

Alanna Aiko Moore (Chair, July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2015)

Mrs. Sandy Avila (Member, December 19, 2014, to June 30, 2015)

Ms. Cassandra G. Barnett (Member, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2015)

 

Agenda
Committee on Diversity
2015 ALA Annual Conference San Francisco, CA

Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:00am to 12:00pm
Parc 55 San Francisco, Mission Room
Alanna Aiko Moore, Chair Presiding

Committee Roster:

Alanna Aiko Moore (Chair, July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2015)

Mrs. Sandy Avila (Member, December 19, 2014, to June 30, 2015)

Ms. Cassandra G. Barnett (Member, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2015)

Mr. Matthew P. Ciszek (Member, July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2016)

Eboni Dickerson (Member, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2015)

Mr. Ed Garcia (Member, December 19, 2014, to June 30, 2016)

Ms. Esther L. Gil (Member, July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2016)

Mrs. April Grey (Member, July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2016)

Dr. Binh P. Le (Member, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2015)

Sam Leif (Member, July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2016)

Mr. Mike L. Marlin (Member, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2015)

Dale K. McNeill (Member, July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2015)

Dr. Lori S. Mestre (Member, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2015)

Lessa K. Pelayo-Lozada (Member, July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2016)

Mr. Steven D. Yates (Member, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2015)

Todd Deck (Intern, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2015)

Mr. Jose Miguel Ruiz (Intern, July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2016)

Gwendolyn Prellwitz (Staff Liaison, January 1, 2015, to June 30, 2016)

 

Charge: To provide a forum to research, monitor, discuss, and address national diversity issues and trends. To analyze and address the impact of diversity issues and trend on the profession, and the relevance and effectiveness of library leadership, library organizations and library services to an increasingly diverse society. To provide to Council and ALA membership information, needed for the establishment of ALA policies, actions and initiatives related to national diversity issues and trends. To encourage and facilitate diversity in ALA membership and the recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce in the profession as a whole. To encourage and facilitate diversity in ALA leadership and leadership development. To facilitate a broad awareness of how and why diversity is unequivocally linked to all ALA areas of concern such as intellectual freedom, education and continual learning, literary and equity of access. To work collaboratively with the ALA president, ALA Council, ALA Divisions, ALA Offices and Units, ALA Round Tables, ALA Committees, and ALA Affiliates. To serve in an advisory capacity to the director of the Office for Diversity to (1) support the role of the Office for Diversity as the clearinghouse for ALA’s diversity resources, contacts, and information exchange, (2) monitor the implementation, progress and ongoing evaluation of ALA national diversity initiatives and programs, and (3) plan, support and encourage conference programs, activities and special events.

 

 

All-Subcommittee Agenda

  1. WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION- Alanna Aiko Moore
  2. SHORT REPORTS BY SUBCOMMITTEE CHAIRS
  • Diversity Council – Megan Drake
  • Diversity Research Grants - LaVerne Gray
  • Spectrum Advisory Council – Holly Smith
  • UPDATE from the ALA Task Force on Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (TF-EDI)– Alanna Aiko Moore, Mike Marlin
  • UPDATE from the Diversity Member Initiative Group
  • Committee on Diversity Agenda

    1. Introductions
    2. OFFICE FOR DIVERSITY, LITERACY and OUTREACH UPDATE
    3. NEW BUSINESS ITEMS
      • ALA Strategic Planning
      • Review of Available Resolutions for COD support/feedback
      • Demographic questionnaire for use across ALA
    4. ONGOING BUSINESS ITEMS
      • Diversity Council proposal and OLOS Advisory Committee
      • Merger of OFD and OLOS
    5. CURRENT WORKPLAN DISCUSSIONS
      1. Plan and point people: http://connect.ala.org/node/230166
      2. Next steps for wrapping up
    6. UPDATES & VISITS
      • ALA Washington Office
      • ALA EB Councilor—Sara John Kelly

      ADDITIONAL ITEMS

    More...

    Online Doc COD Project List/Workplan June 2014-June 2016

    by Jose Ruiz on Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 10:38 am

    COD Project List/Work plan: 2014-2016

    1.      Project: Improve awareness of research projects

    COD Members

    Tasks

    Comments/Deadline

    Stephen

    Lori

    Binh

     

     

     

    COD Project List/Work plan: 2014-2016

    1.      Project: Improve awareness of research projects

    COD Members

    Tasks

    Comments/Deadline

    Stephen

    Lori

    Binh

     

     

     

    • Follow up with past recipients of ALA Diversity Research grants (12 years) to locate final findings, additional research, presentations and publications derived from project
    • Organize materials and identify the best way to display online--approach LARKS about content hosting?
    • Identify ways to monitor outside research and track current projects
    • Make the results more broadly available--how to market this and publicize it?

     

    For future grants and publications, have intern or ALA staff upload the new materials and awardees?

     

    2.      Project: Improve visibility of diversity programming at ALA Annual

    COD Members

    Tasks

    Comments/Deadline

    Matt

    Eboni

    April

     

     

     

    • Create centralized location of ALL diversity programming—use social media?
    • Review preliminary schedule
    • Interview speakers
    • Plan communications (social media, emails lists, AL articles, blog posts) to drive attendance to key programs
    • Looks at scheduler for times, locations and descriptions, post in ALA connect as “public and the document will show up live on the ala website: http://www.ala.org/advocacy/diversity

     Schedule for Annual has been released. 

     

    3.      Project: Create or sponsor a program at ALA Annual

    COD Members

    Tasks

    Comments/Deadline

    Matt

    Lessa 

     

     

    • OFD program could become the COD program
    • Task Force on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion may want to have a program as well

     Placeholder for COD program?  Continue the Town Halls that were popular in the past?

    Look for component groups and co-sponsors.

     

    4.      Project: Build ALA OFD’s online diversity learning offerings around issues of diversity

    COD Members

    Tasks

    Comments/Deadline

    Priority but tabled until new members join June 2015

     

     

     

     

     

    • Identify trainers and training topics
    • Seek proposals (create an online form like LLAMA?)
    • Transition past conference programs into online learning offerings
      • Diversity in Everyone’s Business: Sensitivities in the Workplace
      • Diversity Begins at Home: Valuing Every Kind of Difference
    • Evaluate and select monthly trainings
    • OFD will host, market, and implement and facilitate—make it THE place for diversity training
    • Assist with marketing?

     

     

     

    5.      Project: Create a list of recommendations to share with ALA staff who conduct webinars around best practices for making them more accessible and available to attendees from different socio-economic backgrounds.

    COD Members

    Tasks

    Comments/Deadline

    Mike

     

     

    • Find best practices already created by other organizations around online learning?

     

    6. Project: Compile a list of diversity data gathered from all divisions and offices that can be easily accessible and used for presentations and publications

    COD Members

    Tasks

    Comments/Deadline

    Tabled

    Work with SAC? 

     

     

     

    • Identify data locations and content creators
    • Collate resources and data into accessible format
    • Develop webinar on where and how to access resources

     TABLE-partner with data creators (ACRL, SAC)?

    Discuss at ALA Annual.

    7.      Project: Assist OFD with hosting a monthly online book group on diversity readings

    COD Members

    Tasks

    Comments/Deadline

    Tabled

     

     

     

     

    • Creating group
    • Marketing group
    • Suggesting books
    • Developing discussion questions

     

     TABLE--partner with We Need Diverse Books?

     

    8.      Project: Create booklist or bibliography

    COD Members

    Tasks

    Comments/Deadline

    Tabled

     

     

     

     

    • ALA Instruction committee puts out a bib of instruction in diversity each year
    • Don’t need to re-create but create a pathfinder of links to direct folks?
    • Include info on how to talk to co-workers?

     

     TABLE

     

    9.      Project: Create a portal of diversity web resources

    COD Members

    Tasks

    Comments/Deadline

     Tabled

     

     

    • OFD already has a page, but link to ASCLA etc. to aggregate?
    • Long range project: always needs updating
    • Create a thread in ALA Connect and have folks add resources that can then be aggregated? 
      • Could the MIG help with this?
    • Topics: Diversity plans, diversity committees
    • Rebrand, market, add new offerings
    • Similar to goal of Task Force?

     

    Revisit as a project that the MIG could assist with?

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    More...

    Online Doc Summary of activities 2013-2014

    by Dale McNeill on Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 06:02 pm

    Hello all--

    Please review the report below, which I will be submitting soon as a review of our work during the time from after Annual 2013 through Annual 2014.

    Take special care to review the committee member section to assure that I have marked your attendance correctly. 

    I'm very open to additions, corrections, or any other improvements for this report. The sections are those required.

    I very much enjoyed working with each of you this year. I remain committed to diversity in ALA and will always be happy to help as needed.

    Best regards,

    Dale

    Online Doc Resources regarding The Speaker

    by Dale McNeill on Thu, May 29, 2014 at 08:57 am

    om the OIF Blog:

    "The ALA Library has very helpfully put together a pathfinder of resources relevant to the ongoing discussion around “Speaking About ‘The Speaker,’” the upcoming IFC/AAP program atALA Annual Conference.

    om the OIF Blog:

    "The ALA Library has very helpfully put together a pathfinder of resources relevant to the ongoing discussion around “Speaking About ‘The Speaker,’” the upcoming IFC/AAP program atALA Annual Conference.

    Included in the pathfinder: the link to the filmand the accompanying discussion guide, a film chronology, a bibliography of articles about the film and the controversy surrounding it, uploads of several historical American Librariesmagazine articles (reprinted with permission ofAL magazine), and links to recent articles about the upcoming program.

    A key document is the full 1978 statement from 25 ALA members, endorsed by the Black Caucus of the ALA, presented at the ALA Midwinter Meeting in opposition to the film and ALA’s sponsorship of it.

    This pathfinder is a work in progress: if you have other articles or links you would like included in the finders guide, please contact Valerie Hawkins at library@ala.org."

    More...

    Online Doc TASK FORCE ON EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION

    by Dale McNeill on Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 09:59 am

    Hello all--

     

    Please see Barbara's request below. 

     

    Let me know who who you would recommend. It's fine, of course, to nominate yourself!  Our nominees should plan to represent the concerns of COD, not the body that you mostly represent on COD.

     

    Please let me know by Wednesday morning, so that I can give a couple of names to Barbara by Wednesday evening.

     

    Best regards,

     

    Dale

     

    Dale McNeill

     

     

    Hello all--

     

    Please see Barbara's request below. 

     

    Let me know who who you would recommend. It's fine, of course, to nominate yourself!  Our nominees should plan to represent the concerns of COD, not the body that you mostly represent on COD.

     

    Please let me know by Wednesday morning, so that I can give a couple of names to Barbara by Wednesday evening.

     

    Best regards,

     

    Dale

     

    Dale McNeill

     

     

    TASK FORCE ON EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION

    April 2014

     

    Charge:  The Task Force on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion will develop a plan and strategic actions to build more equity, diversity, and inclusion among our members, the field of librarianship, and our communities.  The most important Task Force outcome is the public and honest conversation that will be generated by its plan and recommended actions. 

     

    The Task Force will be appointed in the spring of 2014 for a term to last through Annual Conference 2016.  The work of the Task Force should commence immediately once the Task Force is formed, so that programs and opportunities can be planned for the Las Vegas Annual Conference in 2014 if possible.

     

    The following areas provide a framework for the Task Force plan, with other ideas to be provided by the Task Force itself:

    1)      Develop programs and other opportunities for members to learn about and engage in the issue;

    2)      Build strong advocacy and awareness at ALA meetings and conferences;

    3)      Use the Orlando conference as a platform to provoke a national dialogue; 

    4)      Collaborate with local Black and Hispanic/Latino community members and organizations in Orlando to determine the best ways for ALA members to be supportive of them.  This will include compilation of a list of African-American and Hispanic/Latino businesses in Orlando for ALA members to patronize;

    5)      Develop communications directed toward the public;

    6)      Support efforts by ALA to reach out to national organizations with vested interest in fighting racism and all forms of discrimination and in increasing equity, diversity, and inclusion in our society, as reflected in ALA Policy on Diversity B.3 (e.g., NAACP, La Raza, Urban League);

    7)      Develop an assessment plan to measure the impact of Task Force efforts.

     

    The Task Force will communicate its plan and actions to ALA membership before each Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference during the term of the Task Force.  The Task Force will submit a final report based on analysis of actions and outcomes, with recommendations for ensuring that a continuing focus on equity, diversity, and inclusion is embedded throughout the ALA organization.

     

    The membership of the Task Force will be inclusive of the following perspectives:

    • ALA Executive Board
    • ALA Council
    • AILA
    • APALA
    • BCALA
    • CALA
    • REFORMA
    • ASCLA and Accessibility Assembly
    • ALA Committee on Diversity and Diversity Council
    • ALA Chapter Relations Committee
    • GLBTRT Roundtable
    • SRRT

     

    More...

    Pages

    To provide a forum to research, monitor, discuss, and address national diversity issues and trends. To analyze and address the impact of diversity issues and trend on the profession, and the relevance and effectiveness of library leadership, library organizations and library services to an increasingly diverse society. To provide to Council and ALA membership information, needed for the establishment of ALA policies, actions and initiatives related to national diversity issues and trends....

    Subscribe to ALA Committee on Diversity (COD)