Syndicate content

ALA Committee on Diversity (COD) Committee

In: ALA Council, Diversity

Greetings all,

I have attached a report from the Office for Diversity that summarizes most of our major activities since last we met in June; many thanks to everyone for all of the amazing support you gave the Office for Diversity during these past 6 months!

1
View:   Faces | List
DiscussionsDiscussions
Discussions

Discussion Minutes from COD October 2017 Conference Call

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 09:12 am

Committee on Diversity
October 2017 Conference Call

Committee on Diversity
October 2017 Conference Call

ATTENDANCE (please indicate absent/present and identify the note-taker on the roster below)
• Martin L. Garnar (Chair, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) - present
• Mrs. Shauntee Burns-Simpson (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) – present
• Ms. Virgen Milagros Gonzalez (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) – absent
• Sukrit Goswami (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
• Ms. Amiya P. Hutson (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) – absent
• Rebecca J. Kemp (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
• Kelsey Dawn McLane (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
• Ms. Ella Mae Mulford (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
• Miriam C. Nauenburg (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) – present and note-taker
• Ms. Satia Marshall Orange (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present
• Mr. Jose Miguel Ruiz (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present
• Mr. Jesse Bernard Sanders, III (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
• Ms. Nichole Lynn Shabazz (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
• Mr. Stewart A. Shaw (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
• Ngoc-Yen Tran (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
• Ms. Tinamarie Vella (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent
• Sara Ahmed (Intern, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
• Tiana Trutna (Intern, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent
• Gwendolyn Prellwitz (Primary Staff Liaison, February 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) – absent

AGENDA
UPDATES
1) 2018 Conference Program accepted – discussion of next steps
a. Nichole, Shauntee, and Ella Mae volunteered for COD's conference planning subgroup to help outline our conference program
b. Next steps: Martin will connect the conference planning volunteers with Nancy Kranich from the Libraries Foster Community Engagement MIG to develop an outline for our program

2) REFORMA conference cancelled – note of support from COD received, discuss any follow-up
a. The RNC VI Conference, which was to be held in San Juan, PR, was canceled due to Hurricane Irma
b. REFORMA will not reschedule the conference but will go ahead with later conferences. REFORMA received refunds from the conference hotel and issued refunds to conference registrants.

3) The ODLOS Advisory Committee has a new Sub-committee on Serving Refugees, Immigrants, and Displaced Persons - questions and ideas can be sent to Chair Madeleine Ildefonso at mildefonso@lapl.org
a. No questions from the committee

NEW/ONGOING BUSINESS ITEMS
1) Review and Revision of Committee Charge (working group Tinamarie & Shauntee)
a. No updates from the working group

2) Responsible Spaces toolkit (see brainstorm from August call http://connect.ala.org/node/270553 and further action items from September call http://connect.ala.org/node/270551)
a. Martin's recap from last month: get library community input regarding what’s worked in creating responsible spaces and start gathering questions for the COD Responsible Spaces survey at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Co1aUmFUYN7h4PygOhmsGbQC2Z166cdpj8JM...
i. The committee formulated additional questions for the Responsible Spaces survey:
1. Advertising the library as an inclusive and welcoming space
2. Reassuring undocumented users during the library card registration process
3. "What help do you need from ALA to make progress on becoming a responsible space?" (marketing plans, etc.)
4. Defining a "responsible space"
5. Engaging the community in the development of library programs and services
6. Training staff in how to create a culture that supports responsible spaces
7. Bringing leadership on board
ii. Survey design: Ask people if they have offered programs at the beginning of the survey, and then branch out depending on answer
iii. Survey volunteers: Sukrit, Kelsey, Miriam, and Shauntee
b. Next steps: Martin will connect survey volunteers with Kathy Rosa in the Office for Research and Evaluation to refine the survey questions, design the survey, and develop a timeline for release

3) Scheduling future monthly conference calls – decide on standing date/time each month, if not an option staff liaison will distribute doodle polls for each month next week
a. Most people seem to prefer a standing committee meeting
b. Next steps: Martin will poll the group for the best standard meeting time

ADDITIONAL BUSINESS ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION?
REQUESTS to COD
1) COD members asked to contribute and assist in distributing the call for stories from the field “Equity, diversity, and inclusion challenges in libraries” – see https://goo.gl/forms/uodaQYL9BCwgQhDI2
a. COD members should share this document with their networks

2) COD members asked to contribute and assist in distributing call for questions to inform a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) resource on hate crimes in libraries – see https://goo.gl/forms/Zl9AjvZrsVop6bTx2
a. No questions from the committee

3) COD members asked to contribute (and feel free to share with your networks) ODLOS Advisory Committee request for input in developing recommended language that reflects the ODLOS Office's value of "creating safe, responsible and all-inclusive spaces that serve and represent the entire community.” See details at http://connect.ala.org/node/270555
a. Please add to this document if you have personal experience in a group or can advise on the language a group uses to describe itself

4) Announcements
a. John Amundsen is making steps toward recovery. Letters and cards may be sent to John c/o Gwendolyn Prellwitz in the ALA office.
b. YALSA Advancing Diversity Task Force: help make people comfortable coming into the library, and increase diversity in the profession
c. EDI Working Group will conclude its work at Annual 2019; at that time, any ongoing initiatives will need to have found a new home. This is an opportunity to advocate for more people and to recognize the task forces in YALSA, PLA, and other groups who are working on this important topic.

5) Next COD meeting
a. Tentatively scheduled for Tuesday 11/28 at 12:30 pm EST (Martin will send a poll)
b. Responsible Spaces survey questions
c. COD conference program details

More...

Discussion Preferred Language Request from the ODLOS Advisory Committee - reply request by November 17

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 01:52 pm

Hello Committee on Diversity! Here’s a request from the ODLOS Advisory Committee on a vocabulary/language project. Since we don’t represent a specific group, it would be hard for us to come up with a list of terms representing our “affiliate/organization”, so I would invite everyone to think about their own identity and make suggestions based on your experience.

Thanks, and looking forward to our call. 

Martin

Hello Committee on Diversity! Here’s a request from the ODLOS Advisory Committee on a vocabulary/language project. Since we don’t represent a specific group, it would be hard for us to come up with a list of terms representing our “affiliate/organization”, so I would invite everyone to think about their own identity and make suggestions based on your experience.

Thanks, and looking forward to our call. 

Martin

---
Martin Garnar
Dean, Kraemer Family Library
1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway, Colorado Springs, CO 80918
P 719-255-3115 | F 719-528-5227 | E mgarnar@uccs.edu | he / his / him | uccs.edu/library

We are reaching out to you on behalf of ALA's Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services (ODLOS) Advisory Committee Subcommittee on Language.

The Subcommittee seeks your input in developing recommended language that reflects the ODLOS Office's value of "creating safe, responsible and all-inclusive spaces that serve and represent the entire community.”

The preferred language for all of our represented groups will be posted on ODLOS's website with a recommendation that these terms be used by conference presenters, in public relations, and as a general informational guide for ALA members.

If you and those you represent have recommended terminology that represents your affiliate/organization, please send it to ODLOS (diversity@ala.org) by November 17th, 2017.

Please use as a subject line: “ODLOS Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Language.”

As an affiliate organization, your contribution to this project is very important to ODLOS.

Thank you for your response.

Sincerely,

ODLOS Advisory Committee, Subcommittee on Language:
Marti Goddard (ASCLA)
Julie Ann Winkelstein (SRRT)
Fu Zhuo (CALA)

-------
EXAMPLES of Preferred Language:

*from The National Down Syndrome Society website (http://www.ndss.org/Down-Syndrome/Preferred-Language-Guide/)
-------
USE THIS LANGUAGE WHEN REFERRING TO DOWN SYNDROME AND PEOPLE WHO HAVE DOWN SYNDROME

•People with Down syndrome should always be referred to as people first.

•Instead of "a Down syndrome child," it should be "a child with Down syndrome." Also avoid "Down's child" and describing the condition as "Down's," as in, "He has Down's.”

•Down syndrome is a condition or a syndrome, not a disease.

•People "have" Down syndrome, they do not "suffer from" it and are not "afflicted by" it.

•“Typically developing” or “typical” is preferred over “normal.”

•“Intellectual disability" or "cognitive disability” has replaced “mental retardation” as the appropriate term

•NDSS strongly condemns the use of the word "retarded" in any derogatory context. Using this word is hurtful and suggests that people with disabilities are not competent.
Down vs. Down's

•NDSS uses the preferred spelling, Down syndrome, rather than Down's syndrome.

•Down syndrome is named for the English physician John Langdon Down, who characterized the condition, but did not have it. An "apostrophe s" connotes ownership or possession.

•While Down syndrome is listed in many dictionaries with both popular spellings (with or without an apostrophe s), the preferred usage in the United States is Down syndrome. The AP Stylebook recommends using "Down syndrome," as well.

More...

Discussion Minutes from COD August 2017 Conference Call

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 01:29 pm

These Minutes were approved by email on September 5.

Notes for Committee on Diversity:

Meeting starting at 12:35 PM

Attendance

Martin L. Garnar (Chair, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) - present

Mrs. Shauntee Burns-Simpson (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) – present and note-taker

Ms. Virgen Milagros Gonzalez (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Sukrit Goswami (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present

These Minutes were approved by email on September 5.

Notes for Committee on Diversity:

Meeting starting at 12:35 PM

Attendance

Martin L. Garnar (Chair, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) - present

Mrs. Shauntee Burns-Simpson (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) – present and note-taker

Ms. Virgen Milagros Gonzalez (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Sukrit Goswami (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present

Ms. Amiya P. Hutson (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent

Rebecca J. Kemp (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present

Kelsey Dawn McLane (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Ms. Ella Mae Mulford (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Miriam C. Nauenburg (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present

Ms. Satia Marshall Orange (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present

Mr. Jose Miguel Ruiz (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present

Mr. Jesse Bernard Sanders, III (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Ms. Nichole Lynn Shabazz (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Mr. Stewart A. Shaw (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Ngoc-Yen Tran (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Ms. Tinamarie Vella (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present

Sara Ahmed (Intern, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent

Tiana Trutna (Intern, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent

Gwendolyn Prellwitz (Primary Staff Liaison, February 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) - present

John is having health problems, huge supporter of the committee. Please send well wishes and words of encouragement to him.

Discussion for the responsible spaces task. Brainstorming/Discussion:  

“Directs the Committee on Diversity, with the support of the Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services and the ODLOS Advisory Committee, to develop, provide, and disseminate materials and programming for libraries that deter hate, foster community, and oppose bigotry toward or oppression against any group.”

Program Ideas:

Courageous Conversation Criteria

Toolkit for Midwinter

Gathering examples from what other libraries are doing, descriptions, resources, guidelines

Working with the King organization- Bernice King

Training on how to facilitate difficult conversations- give the skills & tools

Pre-Conference & Workshop @ Annual (due September 5th)

Preconference – details must be finalized 11/15/2017, next step: Martin will discuss with ODLOS Advisory to check on what is in the works.

Crowdsourcing of marketing, images, created to share

Work with Office of Social Freedom

Work with Civic Engagement interest group (training)

Look at State libraries to give out information (state listservs)

Social Media (like ALA think tank)

Peaceful Assembly

The Human Library

Various forums

Graphic libraries for welcoming/inclusion

Comprehensive place for everything/Resources

Communication Tips/Scenarios (for training, staff meetings, etc)

Work with various Task Forces/Affiliates

Program Proposal (for ALA’s Annual- Due September 5th):

Miguel, Martin, Sukrit, Shauntee, Rebecca (proofing) Send to full group for response

Top Priority:

Program Proposal

Toolkit

Areas you want to work on/Creating Content

Current Charge for the Committee needs to be updated. History of the charge has been shared on the email list. 

The ODLOS Advisory Committee Charge is below:  

The Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services (ODLOS) Advisory Committee provides advice and support to the ODLOS on the areas of diversity, literacy and outreach.  The Advisory Committee is comprised of member groups that represent diverse viewpoints and constituents and will provide a two way forum to communicate member needs to ODLOS and for the Office to share information with member groups.  The Advisory Committee members will offer dynamic perspectives to help guide the strategic direction of ODLOS, will assess program effectiveness, encourage the exploration of new ideas and initiatives, and strengthen the growth of equity and inclusion within the American Library Association and the profession as a whole.  Members are appointed to the ODLOS Advisory Committee through recommendations from the Presidents/Chairs of the stakeholder committees and organizations, with an additional three members appointed by the ALA President-elect.

See http://www.ala.org/aboutala/committees/ala/ for links to all Council and Association Committees charges/rosters.

Homework Assignment:

See what you want to change for the current charge of the committee. It has been 15 years since it was revised.

Tinamarie & Shauntee look over the charge for adjustment. (Will be on the next meeting’s agenda.)

Next meeting will be on September 5, 2017 *A few minutes set aside to review the final program submission.

Meeting Closed @ 1:35 PM

More...

Discussion Minutes from COD September 2017 Conference Call

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 01:25 pm

Committee on Diversity | Conference Call : 9/5/17

Committee on Diversity | Conference Call : 9/5/17

Attendees:
Martin L. Garnar (Chair, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) - present
Mrs. Shauntee Burns-Simpson (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) – present
Ms. Virgen Milagros Gonzalez (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
Sukrit Goswami (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
Ms. Amiya P. Hutson (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent
Rebecca J. Kemp (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
Kelsey Dawn McLane (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
Ms. Ella Mae Mulford (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
Miriam C. Nauenburg (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present
Ms. Satia Marshall Orange (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present
Mr. Jose Miguel Ruiz (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) – present and note-taker
Mr. Jesse Bernard Sanders, III (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
Ms. Nichole Lynn Shabazz (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
Mr. Stewart A. Shaw (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - absent
Ngoc-Yen Tran (Member, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
Ms. Tinamarie Vella (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent
Sara Ahmed (Intern, July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2019) - present
Tiana Trutna (Intern, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - absent
Gwendolyn Prellwitz (Primary Staff Liaison, February 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018) - present

Discussion Minutes

2017 ALA Program Proposal DRAFT Finalized
• Received feedback from Libraries Foster Community Engagement Membership Group
• Deadline for submission on Tuesday, September 5, 2017
• Feedback from COD Committee
o Suggestion of adding the Diversity MIG as a co-sponsor
o Overall good proposal, suggestion of minimize language and text; may be overwhelming for audience. Let presenters discuss the details.
o Proposal sounds similar to human library; discussion on deliberative dialogue
o Program should focus on how-to and best practices
o Difference in selection process for committee program proposals; limited selection and maximum time slot of 90 minutes
o Move additional short description language to the long description. Keep original short description language.
o Discussion of Preconference vs. Program
• Approved addition of Diversity MIG as a co-sponsor to the event
• ACTION: Martin Garnar will update draft and submit proposal

Review of ALA Charge Review
• Postponed review

Toolkit Development Discussion
• Solicit for community information and resources from library community
o Documentation, reports, feedback, success, etc.
• Pool list of libraries and professionals developing and implementing programming
• Facilitate information for collaboration resources
• Develop a survey to gather information and resources
o Develop Google Doc to pool potential questions
o ACTION: Martin Garnar will create document and send out to committee
o ACTION: Membership to add potential questions
• Partner with ORE (Office for Research and Evaluation) to develop survey instrument

Satia Orange: Additional Agenda Items
• REFORMA Conference cancelled
o Recommendation for commending organization for cancelling conference due to Hurricane Irma
o Action: Martin Garnar to send communication to assist organization
• Update on John’s status and sending our thoughts via cards and communication

More...

Event Committee on Diversity Business Meeting II

by Jody Gray-IL (staff) on Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 05:31 pm

Business Meeting II for the Council Committee on Diversity (COD) to prepare for Report to Council. COD meets first during the ODLOS All Committees Meeting on Friday.

Meeting Type: Committee Meeting

Content Area: Core Values

Interests: Equity Diversity & Inclusion

Sponsors: ALA

Cost: Included with full conference registration.

Open/Close: Open

 

Business Meeting II for the Council Committee on Diversity (COD) to prepare for Report to Council. COD meets first during the ODLOS All Committees Meeting on Friday.

Meeting Type: Committee Meeting

Content Area: Core Values

Interests: Equity Diversity & Inclusion

Sponsors: ALA

Cost: Included with full conference registration.

Open/Close: Open

 

https://www.eventscribe.com//2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&P...

More...

Event ODLOS All Committee Meeting

by Jody Gray-IL (staff) on Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 05:24 pm

Joint meeting of all association and council committees to which the Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services (ODLOS) liaisons, followed by business meetings for the ODLOS Advisory Committee; the Committee on Diversity and its sub-committees (Spectrum Advisory Committee, Spectrum Scholars Interest Group, Spectrum Jury, Diversity Research Grants Advisory Committee); the Committee on Literacy and the Literacy Assembly; the Committee on Rural, Native & Tribal Libraries of All Kinds.

Joint meeting of all association and council committees to which the Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services (ODLOS) liaisons, followed by business meetings for the ODLOS Advisory Committee; the Committee on Diversity and its sub-committees (Spectrum Advisory Committee, Spectrum Scholars Interest Group, Spectrum Jury, Diversity Research Grants Advisory Committee); the Committee on Literacy and the Literacy Assembly; the Committee on Rural, Native & Tribal Libraries of All Kinds.

Meeting Type: Committee Meeting

Sponsors: ALA

Cost: Included with full conference registration.

Open/Close: Open

https://www.eventscribe.com//2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&P... 

 

More...

Online Doc Minutes from COD May Conference Call

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Wed, May 31, 2017 at 03:04 pm

MINUTES
Committee on Diversity
May 24, 2017 Conference Call

Thank you to Tiana Trutna for recording the minutes!

ATTENDANCE

MINUTES
Committee on Diversity
May 24, 2017 Conference Call

Thank you to Tiana Trutna for recording the minutes!

ATTENDANCE

  • Martin L. Garnar (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) Chair Presiding - present
  • Mr. Jason Monroe Broughton (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Holly Clark Carroll (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Ms. Amiya P. Hutson (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018)
  • Ms. Laura Lanning (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Miriam C. Nauenburg (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018)
  • Ms. Satia Marshall Orange (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present
  • Ms. Karen Patricia Quash (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Ms. Gloria L. Rhodes (Member, October 20, 2016, to June 30, 2017) – present
  • Mr. Jose Miguel Ruiz (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) - present
  • Mr. Jesse Bernard Sanders, III (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Mrs. Yvonne C. Stephenson (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017) - present
  • Mrs. Fantasia A. Thorne-Ortiz (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Ngoc-Yen Tran (Member, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Ms. Tinamarie Vella (Member, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018)
  • Rebecca J. Kemp (Intern, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
  • Tiana Trutna (Intern, July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2018) – present and recorder
  • Jody Gray (Staff Liaison) - present
  • Gwendolyn Prellwitz (Primary Staff Liaison) – present
  • Mike Marlin (Executive Board Liaison) – present

REPORTS

I. EDI Strategic Direction Draft Implementation Plan – Jody Gray
Background: The new EDI strategic direction was approved by Council at Midwinter.  Now begins the work of defining what success will look like, including measures.  A Draft Implementation Plan has been written by Mary Ghikas and Jody Gray, and presented to the Executive Board at its Spring Meeting.

ALA is currently seeking feedback on the outcome measure/sign of success for each strategy through July 31.  Please feel free to share the public link to the draft implementation plan for the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Strategic Direction: http://connect.ala.org/node/266608. The goal is to have the plan finalized and presented to the Executive Board at its Fall 2017 Meeting.

See UPCOMING BUSINESS for additional Committee on Diversity actions requested.

II. COD Leadership on development of implementation plan for specific EDI Strategies – Martin Garnar
Background: COD is the first member group being consulted and asked to lead creation of and ongoing monitoring of the implementation plan for the EDI Strategic Direction.  Strategies 5 and 10 have been identified as in the scope of the Council Committee on Diversity. These two will be used as a pilot to identify ways to implement the ten strategies. Key to understand is how do we know that we’ve made any impact and that it’s not just lip service.

See UPCOMING BUSINESS for additional Committee on Diversity actions requested.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

I. Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Working Group EDI Recommendations for COD action – Martin Garnar
Background: The Task Force on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion issued a Final Report including 59 recommendations for the Association in June 2016.  21 recommendations were identified as requiring Committee on Diversity assistance at that time.  An EDI Implementation Working Group was formed to implement the Task Force’s recommendations in consultation with the units and groups identified in the initial report. 

In December 2016, Keith Michael Fiels (ALA Executive Director), Mary Ghikas (ALA Associate Executive Director), and Jody Gray (ALA Director, Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services) reviewed the recommendations and came up with a preliminary plan for addressing the recommendations. All the recommendations remain, but a couple of the recommendations were broken down further, bringing the total up to 61. A few changes were made to the list of referrals. 21 recommendations were initially assigned to the Committee on Diversity (COD). 15 of the recommendations fit better with the Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services (ODLOS) Advisory Committee. The Advisory Committee did not exist when the recommendations were being developed. The six remaining recommendations for COD implementation have been posted in ALA Connect: http://connect.ala.org/node/266609.

See UPCOMING BUSINESS for additional actions requested on the 6 EDI recommendations referred to COD.

UPCOMING BUSINESS

I.  EDI Strategic Direction Draft Implementation Plan

  • Feel free to share the draft implementation plan and engage others (at the local level) in giving feedback on the outcome measurements.
  • In addition to sharing this out, it would be really helpful to have your feedback on the measurements of success for all of the strategies – is this the right track, is there a different lens, are we missing opportunities?
  • For Strategies 5 & 10, we will work this summer on developing Logic Models (framework being used for other ALA Strategic Directions). After the implementation plan and measures of success have been defined for all strategies, COD can focus on filling out the logic models for 5 &10 to track and monitor how well the strategy implementations are working.
  • Satia Orange and Martin Garnar have volunteered to focus on Strategy 5, and Gloria Rhodes, Miguel Ruiz and Tiana Trutna have volunteered to focus on Strategy 10.  Any other volunteers?
  • What questions or comments do we have now for Jody?

Q: Can we share these documents with our representatives at the local level? How do we connect the regional efforts with the state efforts?
A: Yes!  This is a public document (with caveat that this is a draft)
Q: What kind feedback specifically are we looking for?
A: Some of the strategies are vague and we are looking for guiding feedback from a broad group of stakeholders, and others have some concepts already. We are looking to hear from members if we are on the right track, missing a valuable perspective, or need to redefine success.   

II. 6 EDI recommendations referred to COD for implementation

  • Please be sure to review the full list of recommendations and the 6 referred to COD to ensure that the Committee is in agreement with the items it will implement and that everyone has evaluated whether or not any other recommendations should be on COD’s radar.
  • Looking for volunteers to work with the Exhibitor’s Round Table on Recommendations 2.5: Encourage diversity among exhibitors and their representatives participating in ALA Annual Conference and/or Midwinter Meeting and/or other ALA activities, in alignment with ALA's policy on equity, diversity and inclusion (B.3), and 2.6: Identify and implement an incentive program for vendors who strive to meet the diversity goals of recommendation 2.5 in a meaningful way.   
  • Look for ways the Association can have sustainable approaches to monitoring progress on the 61 recommendations – Satia is worried about responsibility falling on staff. Suggested that the EDI-IWG look at creating a reporting form for groups who were referred recommendations to input activities.

III. Council Action at Annual - Definitions, as noted in EDI recommendations and strategic direction

  • Looking to have COD request Council add the EDI definitions created by the Task Froce to ALA policy manual. Note, this will fulfill Recommendation 4.2a: Add the definition of EDI developed by the TF to the ALA Policy Manual.  
  • Desire to give a higher profile to this committee within council through more frequent action requests.
  • Goal is to take a more visible and active role for council as we don’t always come to mind as a committee for issues surrounding diversity.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Save the date for the upcoming meetings at Annual:

 

More...

Event Committee on Diversity May Conference Call (5/24) Agenda

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Tue, May 23, 2017 at 06:06 pm

Call instructions
Call takes places on May 24 at 9AM Pacific /10AM Mountain/11AM Central /Noon Eastern

Toll Free Number 866-801-5789
Enter Participant Passcode: 78965432

In advance of the conference call please review the following documents in ALA Connect:

  1. EDI Strategic Direction Draft Implementation Plan Feedback Request
  2. EDI recommendations for COD

AGENDA

Call instructions
Call takes places on May 24 at 9AM Pacific /10AM Mountain/11AM Central /Noon Eastern

Toll Free Number 866-801-5789
Enter Participant Passcode: 78965432

In advance of the conference call please review the following documents in ALA Connect:

  1. EDI Strategic Direction Draft Implementation Plan Feedback Request
  2. EDI recommendations for COD

AGENDA

  1. (Jody – 15 min) EDI Draft Implementation – present draft implementation plan and discuss process for feedback on outcomes and measurement of strategies
  2. (Martin – 20 min) COD discussion of Outcome and Measurements for Strategies 5 and 10, identify committee process for requesting feedback from additional groups, goal is to incorporate member group feedback on outcomes and strategies by/at Annual – implementation plan will be finalized at Fall Executive Board meeting
  3. (Martin – 15 min ) 6 EDI Recommendations for COD, discussion and identify next steps with ERT
  4. (Martin – 5 min) proposed Council Action at Annual (definitions, as noted in EDI recommendations and strategic direction)

Lastly, please mark your calendars: COD will be meeting twice at Annual Conference:

  1. Friday 6/23, 12:30-2pm: Joint meeting and COD Business Meeting I - https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=266050
  2. Sunday 6/25, 1-2:30pm: Committee on Diversity Business Meeting II - https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=266294

Thanks, and looking forward to tomorrow’s conversation.

Martin

---

Martin Garnar
Dean, Kraemer Family Library
1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway, Colorado Springs, CO 80918
P 719-255-3115 | F 719-528-5227 | E mgarnar@uccs.edu | he / his / him | uccs.edu/library

More...

Online Doc Minutes from COD March Conference Call

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Tue, May 23, 2017 at 06:18 pm

Committee on Diversity
Meeting Notes: March 7, 2017

Attendees: Martin Garnar, Rebecca Kemp, Karen Quash, Gwendolyn Prellwitz, Gloria Rhodes, Ngoc-Yen Tran, Jason Broughton, Tinamarie Vella, Jose Miguel Ruiz, Loida Garcia-Febo (guest)

Recorder: Ngoc-Yen Tran

Committee on Diversity
Meeting Notes: March 7, 2017

Attendees: Martin Garnar, Rebecca Kemp, Karen Quash, Gwendolyn Prellwitz, Gloria Rhodes, Ngoc-Yen Tran, Jason Broughton, Tinamarie Vella, Jose Miguel Ruiz, Loida Garcia-Febo (guest)

Recorder: Ngoc-Yen Tran

Introductions

  • Introductions were made and attendance recorded
  • Guest: Candidates for ALA Office (Loida Garcia-Febo)
    Loida is running for ALA President; she presented her case to the group and answered questions

New Business

Update on the EDI Strategic Direction (Martin G.)

Background:
• A fourth strategic direction was approved at ALA Midwinter to include equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI)
• Strategies drawn together by the EDI Task Force, implementation of the strategies overseen by the EDI Implementation Group, and long-term monitoring will be done by the ODLOS Advisory Committee
• Implementation timeline: 2 years
-It would be a good idea for us to collaborate with the implementation and group and with ODLOS as advisors – pointing to needs and specific initiatives or strategies
-The COD will need to explore the impact of the new strategic direction on the group, especially our charge. Our next meeting we will focus on the EDI strategic direction and explore COD’s role 

Update on subcommittee transfer (Gwendolyn P)

Background: COD had subcommittees for programs such as Spectrum and the Diversity Research Grant
Update: These subcommittees have been moved to be part of the ODLOS Advisory Committee

Diversity MIG

Facilitated Discussion at Annual 2017 and best practices virtual round-up (Rebecca K., Tiana T., Karen Q.) http://connect.ala.org/node/229994 (Note this event has now been cancelled)

  • Survey results indicated that cultural competency is a topic of interest 
  • MIG will put on a session on Sunday at Annual Conference 2017 on: “What can ALA do to foster best practices for cultural competency?” It will be a conversation as well as a facilitated discussion. A facilitator still needs to be identified.
  • Larger goal of MIG is to make presentations and articles accessible on topics that we focus on.
  • If you have ideas or facilitator suggestions, send those along to Rebecca, Tiana, or Karen

Update on discussion with Diversity Councilors at ALA Midwinter (Martin G.)

The COD wanted to know if there were ways that we could work more closely with the Diversity Councilors (supporting them as well as keeping abreast on topics discussed at Council meetings)
There is an email list that is hosted by Kent State
Idea: Create an ALA Connect group so that we can have conversations all in one place (as opposed to having parallel discussions in our separate Connect communities). Next step will be to reach out to the conveners of Diversity Council group to create this ALA Connect group.

COD priorities for the next five months 

Major focus will be to update the charge for COD
 Scheduling Monthly meetings - Everyone was okay with monthly meeting/call (we can cancel if we do not need to meet)

Update from IFC Joint Group (Martin G.)

Library Bill of Rights on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Libraries -  Structure was based on Access to Library Resources and Services Regardless of Sex, Gender Identity, Gender Expression, or Sexual Orientation document. Please give feedback – deadline is May 1st
• Comment on the ALA Connect page
• Email any IFC member
• Martin will send out email to COD and we can comment; Martin and Jesse will compile our comments
• One comment already: Liked the definitions and the consistent language

Adjournment

Adjourned at 9:54AM PST
Doodle polls will be sent out for our meeting. At the next meeting we will discuss the COD’s role in the EDI strategic directions (places where we want to focus on and where we should encourage other groups to take action)

More...

File EDI-SD-DRAFTImplementation_FEEDBACK

by Jody Gray-IL (staff) on Tue, May 23, 2017 at 05:54 pm

DOCX File, 113.33 KB

Pages

To provide a forum to research, monitor, discuss, and address national diversity issues and trends. To analyze and address the impact of diversity issues and trend on the profession, and the relevance and effectiveness of library leadership, library organizations and library services to an increasingly diverse society. To provide to Council and ALA membership information, needed for the establishment of ALA policies, actions and initiatives related to national diversity issues and trends....

Subscribe to ALA Committee on Diversity (COD)