Syndicate content

ACRL RBMS Executive Committee (Rare Books and Manuscripts Section) Committee

In: ACRL RBMS (Rare Books & Manuscripts Section)
View:   Faces | List

Discussion Draft charges for RBMS Task Forces

by Erika Dowell on Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 02:16 pm

We have two ACRL standards or guidelines that are up for review. Below are draft charges for the two groups, which will be appointed in the coming months.

Charlotte Brown has volunteered to chair the task force to review: Guidelines on the Selection and Transfer of Materials from General Collections to Special Collections

I will also provide paper copies of the charges at the meeting. 

 

Task Force to Review Guidelines on the Selection and Transfer of Materials from General Collections to Special Collections

We have two ACRL standards or guidelines that are up for review. Below are draft charges for the two groups, which will be appointed in the coming months.

Charlotte Brown has volunteered to chair the task force to review: Guidelines on the Selection and Transfer of Materials from General Collections to Special Collections

I will also provide paper copies of the charges at the meeting. 

 

Task Force to Review Guidelines on the Selection and Transfer of Materials from General Collections to Special Collections

ACRL policy requires each of its standards and guidelines be reviewed every five years. This task force is charged to review Guidelines on the Selection and Transfer of Materials from General Collections to Special Collections (3rd edition, 2008) and determine whether the guidelines should be (1) continued in force without change, (2) revised to address current needs, or (3) rescinded. The task force will report to the RBMS Executive Committee by the ALA Annual Meeting in 2014. If the task force determines a revision is necessary, it will draft a revision and keep the Executive Committee apprised of its progress.

Chapter 14 of ACRL’s Guide to Policies and Procedures, especially section 14.6, “Procedures for Updating Standards and Guidelines,” should be consulted.

 

Task Force to Review Competencies for Special Collections Professionals

ACRL policy requires each of its standards and guidelines be reviewed every five years. This task force is charged to review Competencies for Special Collections Professionals (2008) and determine whether the standard should be (1) continued in force without change, (2) revised to address current needs, or (3) rescinded. The task force will report to the RBMS Executive Committee by the ALA Annual Meeting in 2014. If the task force determines a revision is necessary, it will draft a revision and keep the Executive Committee apprised of its progress.

Chapter 14 of ACRL’s Guide to Policies and Procedures, especially section 14.6, “Procedures for Updating Standards and Guidelines,” should be consulted. 

 


More...

Discussion ALA Annual 2012 (Anaheim) Executive Committee Meeting Agenda (DRAFT)

by Mike Kelly on Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 07:49 am

DRAFT RBMS Executive Committee Agenda

ALA Annual Conference 2012, Anaheim, CA.

Monday, June 25, 08:00 - 12:00

Disneyland Hotel, North Exhibit Hall Room BC

 

DRAFT RBMS Executive Committee Agenda

ALA Annual Conference 2012, Anaheim, CA.

Monday, June 25, 08:00 - 12:00

Disneyland Hotel, North Exhibit Hall Room BC

 

Please note that chairs of committees, discussion groups, and task forces, as well as liaisons to other groups and organizations give their reports at the RBMS Information Exchange (Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 4:00pm to 6:00pm, Anaheim Convention Center 207B), so they should not repeat their reports at the Executive Committee meeting. However, committee chairs are expected to attend the Executive Committee meeting, and they may present action items for consideration by the Executive Committee. All other members of RBMS are encouraged to attend the meeting and to participate in the discussion.

 

Draft Agenda (June 7, 2012)

 

1. Introductions

 

2. Review and finalize agenda (Mike Kelly)

 

3. Meeting protocol (Mike Kelly)

 

4. Approval of minutes from ALA Midwinter 2012 (Mike Kelly)

 

5. Reminders for committee chairs (Annie Copeland/Mike Kelly)

5.1 Meeting schedule, meeting room setups (Mike Kelly)

            Erika Dowell will handle scheduling for Midwinter 2013 (Seattle)

5.2 Information Exchange reports (Annie Copeland)

 

6. Consent Agenda

            6.1 Approved the recommendation of the Conference Development Committee that Las Vegas, NV be selected as the site for the 2014 RBMS Preconference. (april 2012)

            6.2 Approved Bibliographic Standards Committee be authorized to request an invitation from the CaMMS Executive Board to appoint a BSC liaison to CC:DA (May 2012)

 

7. Updates from the Executive Committee (Mike Kelly)

7.1 Submitted a request for $3,200 to the ACRL Friends Fund Disbursement Subcommittee for support of the 2012 Preconference Scholarships (11/30/2011). $2,500 was approved by the ACRL Budget & Finance Committee to support 2012 Preconference scholarships.

7.2 RBMS membership participation in ALA elections

 

7. Old business

 

7.1 Virtual meetings and virtual membership (Mike Kelly)

 

8. New business

 

8.1 RBMS Standards due for review/revision:

 

9. Programs and conferences

9.1 2012 Preconference Program Planning (San Diego) (Nina Schneider, Shannon Supple)

9.2 2012 Preconference Local Arrangements (San Diego) (Lynda Claassen)

9.3 2012 Annual Conference Program Planning (Anaheim) (Gerald Cloud)

9.4 2013 Preconference Program Planning (Minneapolis) (James P. Ascher)

9.5 2013 Preconference Local Arrangements (San Diego) (Arvid Nelson)

9.6 2013 Annual Conference Program Planning (Chicago) (Jennifer MacDonald and Athena Jackson)

9.7 Conference Development Committee (Deborah J. Leslie)

 

10. Task forces

10.1 Task Force on Metrics and Assessment (Sarah Fisher)

 

11. Publications & Communications

11.1 Publications and Communications Committee (James P. Ascher)

11.2 News Editor (Ethan Henderson)

11.3 Web Team (Jason Kovari)

11.4 RBM Editorial Board (Beth Whittaker)

 

12. Standing committees

12.1 Archivist/Records Manager (Mike Kelly for Chatham Ewing)

Action item: endorsement of the idea of establishing a digital repository as part of the ALA Archives at UIUC for the management and preservation of records related to the section. 

12.2 Bibliographic Standards Committee (Jane F. Carpenter)

12.3 Budget and Development Committee (E. C. Schroeder)

12.4 Diversity Committee (Athena Jackson)

Action item: request for travel support for two Diversity Committee members to present RBMS Diversity Toolkit at the 2012 Joint Conference of Librarians of Color (September 2012) 

12.5 Exhibition Awards Committee (Molly Schwartzburg)

12.6 Membership and Professional Development Committee (Katie Henningsen)

12.7 Nominating Committee (Deborah Leslie)

12.8 Regional Workshops Committee (Jane Gillis)

            Action item: proposed revision of committee name and charge

12.9 Scholarships Committee (Diane Warner)

12.10 Security Committee (Alvan Bregman)

12.11 Seminars Committee (Laura Micham/ Danielle Culpepper)

 

13. Discussion groups

13.1 Collection Development Discussion Group (William Modrow /Mark Greenberg)

13.2 Curators and Conservators Discussion Group (Beth Kilmarx/Dennis Moser)

13.3 Manuscripts and Other Formats Discussion Group (Lois Fischer Black/Diane Warner)

13.4 Public Services Discussion Group (Nicolette Dobrowolski/Susan Walker)

13.5 Technical Services Discussion Group (Ann Copeland/Ellen Ellickson)

13.6 Digital Special Collections Discussion Group (Jason Kovari)

 

14. ACRL

14.1 ACRL Board, Leadership Council (John Lehner)

14.2 ACRL Budget and Finance (E.C. Schroeder)

 

15. Closing business


More...

Discussion Invitation to co-sponsor MAGIRT's 2012 Annual Program

by Mike Kelly on Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Another item for our agenda on Monday: we have been invited to co-sponsor MAGIRT's program at 2012 Annual.

Another item for our agenda on Monday: we have been invited to co-sponsor MAGIRT's program at 2012 Annual.

The Map and Geospatial Information Round Table (MAGIRT) is doing a program on map scanning for Annual 2012 entitled “The Nuts and Bolts of Map Scanning:  Building Your Map Scanning Toolbox”.  Our program will feature 3 speakers who will discuss the details unique to scanning maps, including project planning and costs, tools and equipment, scanning and metadata standards, access strategies, copyright issues and more.  Our target audience includes anyone who has maps or map collections they want to digitize, but don’t know where to start.  The program is tentatively scheduled for Sunday, June 24th from 1:30-3:30PM. 

Would ACRL RBMS be interested in cosponsoring our program in name only?  I know RBMS has cosponsored programs with MAGIRT in the past and hope you’ll be willing to do so again.  The program overview is attached.  Please let me know if you have any questions or would like any further information.

Thanks!

Hallie Pritchett, Chair

Map and Geospatial Information Round Table

See attached PDF for further details.

More...

Discussion Inquiry from ALA RUSA History Section regarding co-sponsorship

by Mike Kelly on Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:46 am

Executive Committee meeting agenda item 8.2 (New Business) is an inquiry from Janalyn Moss of ALA RUSA History Section regarding co-sponsorship of their program at ALA Annual 2012 (Chicago):

Executive Committee meeting agenda item 8.2 (New Business) is an inquiry from Janalyn Moss of ALA RUSA History Section regarding co-sponsorship of their program at ALA Annual 2012 (Chicago):

I’m Janalyn Moss. I am the immediate past chair of the ALA RUSA History Section. The History Section is currently working on a program proposal for Annual 2013 in Chicago. The program will deal with library engagement in National History Day activities. We are looking for a co-sponsor for the program and were wondering if the RBMS would be interested in joining us. I don’t have much to share with you now but we will be putting out a call for speakers soon. Also, we hope to have someone representing the Rare Books/Special Collections/Archives world on the panel. We do have a tentative acceptance from Ann Claunch, National History Day Director of Curriculum, to be our lead-off speaker.

Best,

Janalyn

More...

Discussion Proposed Discussion Group on Digitization of Special Collections

by Mike Kelly on Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:42 am

Executive Committee Meeting agenda item 8.1 (under New Business) is a proposal from Henry Raine to create a new discussion group. He wrote:

Executive Committee Meeting agenda item 8.1 (under New Business) is a proposal from Henry Raine to create a new discussion group. He wrote:

I'd like to suggest that RBMS establish an ongoing discussion group on the topic of the digitization of special collections.  Although this was not one of the recommendations that came out of the final report of the Digitization of Special Collections Task Force that was discharged in 2009, I think there is considerable interest in this topic, and RBMS members and other ALA attendees would welcome a regular opportunity to share experiences, raise issues, and talk about new trends in the digitization of special collections.  This seems especially appropriate given the increasing emphasis on the value that special collections and unique materials bring to libraries, and the importance of making them accessible through digitization.

Here's a draft of a statement of purpose:

Digitization of Special Collections Discussion Group

Purpose: To provide an open forum for the presentation and discussion of topics and issues relating to the digitization of rare books and special collections materials.  Discussion may focus on current trends, standards, mass digitization, licensing of special collections materials to commercial vendors, specific digital projects, and any other topics and issues relating to digitization that may be of interest to rare book and special collections librarians.

More...

Discussion Virtual meetings and virtual memberships

by Mike Kelly on Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:27 am

Executive Committee Meeting agenda item 7.1 (under Old Business) is another look at the topic of Virtual Meetings. It has been suggested that the chair establish a Task Force to explore the options and guidelines for virtual memberships and virtual committees.

 

The official ACRL guidelines on Virtual Meetings can be found here:

http://www.ala.org/acrl/resources/policies/chapter8#8three

Executive Committee Meeting agenda item 7.1 (under Old Business) is another look at the topic of Virtual Meetings. It has been suggested that the chair establish a Task Force to explore the options and guidelines for virtual memberships and virtual committees.

 

The official ACRL guidelines on Virtual Meetings can be found here:

http://www.ala.org/acrl/resources/policies/chapter8#8three

During the ACRL Communities of Practice Assembly virtual meeting on Jan. 13, there was a discussion of virtual and "hybrid" meetings. The notes from that discussion follow:

Hybrid and Virtual Meetings

Hybrid

  • Does anyone have experience with "hybrid" meetings at the conferences? That is to say, some folks meet f2f in the hotel conference room and others participate virtually. Does ALA/ACRL have a policy on such meetings?
  • We've been told that hybrid meetings are not supported by ALA.
  • Not technically supported, certainly. But allowed? Encouraged?
  • ALA has a policy somewhere that they don't support simultaneous "hybrid" in person/online meetings. The issue is the cost of providing internet connections at conference (and the uncertainty of availability of connections).
  • LPSS, in fact, both of the in-person meetings in Dallas, are actually hybrid meetings.
  • Personal members paid for one-day wireless Internet access at the hotel.
  • STS has investigated that but one obstacle is that setting up an Internet connection for the virtual portion is really prohibitive in many cases, so we haven't moved in that direction.
  • We've been told that requesting an internet connection for a meeting could cost $1,000 (for just one meeting). So we've been discouraged from requesting one, and we don't generally know very far in advance if we'd be in a location with wifi (such as many convention centers).
  • ANSS is going to experiment at Midwinter with setting up a member-owned Clear mobile hotspot in the conference room. Supposedly, up to 15 gadgets can connect to this.
  • This is an issue where sharing among COPA members is very powerful for future actions.
  • ALA/ACRL does need to explore and possibly find a solution for this. It seems fewer people are going to Midwinter this year.

Virtual meetings

  • Someday, ALA will need to face facts and eliminate Midwinter. However, for the moment, it remains a cash cow because of the vendors. Maybe we should start voting with our cyber-feet.
  • Midwinter is just unsustainable for many librarians now, with vanishing travel budgets.
  • Should COPA shares its concern about how best to conduct virtual meetings and urges ACRL to focus on that as an alternative to face to face? Although, duly noted that it may not be in their best financial interests at present to do so!
  • Megan Griffin will be reading our meeting notes and she may clarify some points about this for us.
  • The ALA (or ACRL?) white paper that came out 12-24 months ago that seemed more interested in explaining why it was important to keep Midwinter, rather than evaluating why we no longer needed it.
  • That white paper seemed to miss the whole issue of why librarians are not going to conference, and it refused to look at creative solutions to the problem.
  • Certainly most other professional organizations manage to meet once a year.
  • White paper at http://connect.ala.org/files/4161/ebd_12_17_white_paper_on_the_ala_midwi...
More...

Discussion RBMS New Members Social

by Henry Raine on Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 08:47 am

After careful consideration, Katie Carr, Chair of Membership & Professional Development, has sent me her recommendation on how to manage the RBMS New Members Social at next year's and future preconferences.  Please read the attached document, let's have a discussion about it if needed, and then let's vote on it by Friday, Nov. 5.

Thanks,

Henry

Discussion RBMS "Guidelines for the Digitization of Special Collections"

by Henry Raine on Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 03:43 pm

Dear Exec,

At the urging of Christian Dupont, I'd like to pick up on some unfinished business from the 2009 Annual conference, concerning the Guidelines for the Digitization of Special Collections Task Force.  The minutes from the 2009 Annual Executive Committee meeting, p. 3, read:

Action item: Exec. will consult with Irwin on concrete actions to take in pursuing recommendations and options presented in the report.

Dear Exec,

At the urging of Christian Dupont, I'd like to pick up on some unfinished business from the 2009 Annual conference, concerning the Guidelines for the Digitization of Special Collections Task Force.  The minutes from the 2009 Annual Executive Committee meeting, p. 3, read:

Action item: Exec. will consult with Irwin on concrete actions to take in pursuing recommendations and options presented in the report.

Action item: Exec. will look into renaming the document, Guidelines for the Digitization of Special Collections: Principles for Digital Content in a way that makes it clear these are not ACRL guidelines.

Action item: Decide where the Principles of Digital Content document will live on the RBMS website. 

Leaving aside the first Action Item for right now, I'd like to address the second item, which is to rename the document to remove any suggestion that these are official ACRL guidelines.  I'd like to propose we take out the part of the title that reads "Guidelines for the" and add "RBMS" so that the document simply becomes: "Digitization of Special Collections: RBMS Principles for Digital Content."

If you agree, I'll instruct the Web Team to make the change in the following two places on the RBMS web site:

http://rbms.info/committees/task_force/digitization/index.shtml

http://rbms.info/committees/task_force/digitization/digprinciples.html

As for the third Action Item, I'd like to suggest that the document remain where it is on the RBMS web site (under the discharged task force), but that a link also be added from the Online Publications section of the web site, and a news announcement appear on the home page.

And as for the first Action Item, I'd like Exec. and others to discuss the options presented in the document, especially those under III. Organizational Options, since they seem particularly timely as we consider moving the Section's business more and more into the virtual world, and as we consider the work of other organizations concerning the topic of digitization and special collections. 

Henry

More...

Discussion SAA requests official permission to adapt RBMS Diversity Toolkit for their use

by Henry Raine on Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 04:17 pm

Dear Executive Committee,

This is my first attempt to have the Executive Committee use ALA Connect to discuss a question that has been presented to us.  I'd like to open this up for discussion, and perhaps vote on it next Friday, July 9.  Deborah, please let me know if I'm committing any procedural  faux pas!  Here's the email thread Mike and I received from Athena Jackson, Chair of the Diversity Committee (please start at the bottom):

 

Hi Henry,

Dear Executive Committee,

This is my first attempt to have the Executive Committee use ALA Connect to discuss a question that has been presented to us.  I'd like to open this up for discussion, and perhaps vote on it next Friday, July 9.  Deborah, please let me know if I'm committing any procedural  faux pas!  Here's the email thread Mike and I received from Athena Jackson, Chair of the Diversity Committee (please start at the bottom):

 

Hi Henry,

Yes, it certainly needed to be approved by Exec. It started under Mary Lacy’s chairmanship (around early 2009 we began incorporating Exec’s edits). It went through several iterations via the assistance, and subsequent approval, of Exec. Exec approval occurred between meetings (asynchronously via emails); here is the text from the 2009 Annual Meeting’s minutes: 

The Diversity Committee did not meet at this conference, however we are delighted to announce the launch of the Diversity Recruitment Toolkit, which can be found at the RBMS website. We hope that many of you will make use of this toolkit and offer feedback to the committee. We'd like to thank the many committee members of past and present and the great support from the Executive committee members, who have all been instrumental in its publication. (10.e.)

Indeed, it’s great to get on SAA’s diversity radar! Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help going forward.

Very best,

Athena

 

From: Henry

More...

Pages

Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) Executive Committee

 

Subscribe to ACRL RBMS Executive Committee (Rare Books and Manuscripts Section)