ACRL EBSS Instruction for Educators Committee (Educational and Behavioral Sciences Section) Committee
Topic: ACRL EBSS Instruction for Educators Midwinter Virtual Meeting
Date: Monday, January 13, 2014
Time: 3:00 pm Eastern, 12:00 pm Pacific
Meeting Call-In Number: 513-386-0000
Meeting Access Code: 272713#
1. Welcome and Introductions
2. Finalizing the Rubric:
- 2-3 people needed to give it a final read for consistency.
- Introduction to the rubric - What would we like it to say?
- Next steps
3. Impact of the ACRL IL Standards revision on our committee work?
4. Possible future projects:
- Connecting the Standards wiki http://wikis.ala.org/acrl/index.php/Connecting_the_Standards
- Connecting the ACRL standards with NCATE
- How to educate pre-service teachers about OA education journals and assessing their quality
See more information below about these proposed projects (reprinted from 2011 meeting minutes):
- How to educate pre-service teachers about OA education journals and assessing their quality. This is seen as an important project because teachers leave their institutions and lose access to a lot of the resources they have and at the same time are asked to make evidence- and research-based decisions. Different states have resources available state wide that teachers can use, and school libraries on a district wide level may have subscription resources, too. Promotion of OA publications and strategies for teaching about OA journals may be worth pursuing.
- Connecting the ACRL standards with NCATE (etc). Concern was raised that many education faculty members won’t give time to anything that isn’t addressed in the NCATE standards. This was part of the original idea behind the Connecting the Standards website – a way to connect in a matrix ARCL standards with other K-12 standards. Now that the Information Literacy Standards for Teacher Education have been approved, new efforts should be made to show the connections to teaching faculty. The Committee could develop a document or strategy for this type of outreach/communication.
Conference Call Meeting 10/24/2011 (Midwinter) EBSS Instruction for Educators Committee Agenda & Documentsby Imelda Vetter on Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 01:44 pm
Attached you will find all the documents that will be discussed during the Conference Call meeting on Monday, October 24, 2:00-3:30 p.m. Central Time.
Committee members have also received an email with the agenda and instructions for accessing the meeting documents in ALA Connect.
Documents attached below include:
- Proposal to develop rubrics based on the ACRL Information Literacy Standards for Teacher Education for assessment purposes
- Rubric example
- Information Literacy Standards for Teacher Education
- EBSS Instruction for Educators meeting minutes from 2011 Annual Conference
In addition, please review: Connecting the Standards: the Intersection of Education and ACRL Information Literacy Standards Wiki - http://wikis.ala.org/acrl/index.php/Connecting_the_Standards