GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table) Committee

Closed group
In: Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Round Table (GLBTRT)
14 members  |  About this group  |   Syndicate content

Office for Literacy and Outreach Services Report to Committees and Roundtables

2013 ALA Midwinter Meeting – Seattle 

Programs at Midwinter

The OLOS Advisory Committee will meet on Saturday, January 26 from 8:30-10:00am in room 620 of the Washington State Convention Center (WSCC).

The Committee on Rural, Native, and Tribal Libraries of All Kinds will meet on Saturday, January 26 from 1:00-2:30pm in the Discovery room at the Grand Hyatt.

1
View:   Faces | List
DiscussionsDiscussions
Discussions

Online Doc Future Agenda Items List

by Melody Townley on Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:13 am

What is this?

Below are future board meeting agenda items.

How do you get an item on the board agenda?

Board members should share agenda item ideas on the board email list.  Note in your message subject that you are proposing an agenda item.  Non-board members should use the board contact form to share meeting agenda items to the board:  http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/about/contact/board 

The secretary will work with item-bringers, the chair, chair-elect and past-chair to craft agenda items.

What is this?

Below are future board meeting agenda items.

How do you get an item on the board agenda?

Board members should share agenda item ideas on the board email list.  Note in your message subject that you are proposing an agenda item.  Non-board members should use the board contact form to share meeting agenda items to the board:  http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/about/contact/board 

The secretary will work with item-bringers, the chair, chair-elect and past-chair to craft agenda items.

Meetings will be cancelled if there are no agenda items to share out at least 10 days before a meeting.

Agenda items should be shared with the board about 15 days before the meeting.

Reports shouldn't be read in meetings.  Links to reports should be shared out on the agenda 10 days before the meeting so all will have time to read them.  Reports can also be shared out on the board email list or the board contact form at anytime.

Each agenda item should include the following:

    • Action: state the desired outcome of the item (what do you want the board to do with your item?)
      • discussion OR listen to a report/update
    • Item Facilitator: Who will take responsibility for this item during the meeting and attend to work that must be done outside of the meeting?
    • Vote: Will voting be required?
    • Time: Estimate amount of time needed on agenda
    • Supporting Information: Supply related documents or links to them.

 

Agenda Items List

Table of contents:

  1. Committee Member and Chair Guidelines (20 mins)
  2. GLBTRT Board Meeting Norms Proposal (15 mins)
  3. ALA Task Force on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion ()15 mins)
  4. Evaluation of the Structure of the Stonewall Book Awards Committee (15 mins) [2016 ALA MW]
  5. Future of Stonewall Book Awards Program (15 mins) [2015 August meeting]

1. Committee Member and Chair Guidelines (30 mins) [David V will rework this item and share with the board for a future meeting.]

Original Request from Board Contact Form
http://connect.ala.org/files/2014-GLBTRT-Cmte-Meetings-Guideline-Request.docx [WORD doc]

Action: Discuss adoption of general guidelines for committee chairs and members that cover things like participation expectations as well as dismissal procedures.

Action: Discuss accommodating committee members who cannot attend scheduled committee meetings at MW or Annual Conferences.  Former chair of Rainbow Committee, Christie suggested this language for what would be allowable: "in case of extreme emergency* (such as family illness or stranded by weather, members on those committees who have acted in good faith all year be able to attend virtually at ALA Midwinter."

Item Facilitator: David Vess [or anyone who wants to volunteer]

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information for Posed General Guidelines:  

Hi all, I've already covered this in the procedure manual I had to craft while I was chair (just to keep myself straight).  In fact, I had to work with Amanda Clay using the dismissal procedure to remove someone from Stonewall.  It went smoothly.  I also used it several other times while I was chair but I can't recall the details. In each instance things went smoothly.

I just touched this up a but to incorporate some things said in this email thread. dsv

LINK to posed General Cmte Guidelines:
https://sites.google.com/site/glbtrt/cmteprocedures

Supporting information for Accomidating Committee Members who cannot attend scheduled meetings:

    • As you meeting scheduler (a job the past-chair does) you should know that we cannot guarantee that every OTR, Rainbow or Stonewall meeting will have wireless access.  We can request wireless or even wired access but no guarantees can be made as to if the service will be provided.  dsv
    • I share the following since I did a lot of work to assure we had 'legal' GLBTRT Board meetings on line:  As long as the meeting is in real-time (not in email or discussion forums), there is no ALA policy that says a committees cannot use such tools as Skype to add others into a meeting who couldn't attend because of an emergency.  Committee members will already know about the meeting far in advance since it's help at MW or Annual.   dsv
    • More about online meetings is here: http://connect.ala.org/comment/35139#comment-35139

 

2. GLBTRT Board Meeting Norms Proposal (15 mins) [Moved to November 2014 meeting]

Action: Motion to adopt the below meeting document as board procedure.

During June 13 board meeting, the board: 1. Wasn't sure if all the language was needed.  2. Brainstormed about where these procedures would be placed.  The GLBTRT Leadership Responsibilities document was one suggestion.  Board decided this was an item for the Aug 2014 Conference Call.

Item Facilitator: David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting InformationDRAFT GLBTRT Board Meeting Norms Document [Word Document, 2 Pages]

 

3. ALA Task Force on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (10 mins) [Moved to November 2014 Meeting]

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Martin Garnar

Vote: N/A 

Supporting Information: Martin Garnar will speak to the RT about the ALA Task Force on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. http://connect.ala.org/node/229669

 

3. Advocacy Committee Report (10 mins) [November 2014]

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Julie Winkelstein

Vote: N/A 

Supporting Information: Julie Winkelstein will provide a report from the Advocacy Committee.

 

X. Evaluation of the Structure of the Stonewall Book Awards Committee (15 mins) [Scheduled for 2016 ALA Midwinter Meeting]
 

Action: Motion to adopt the subcommittee structure of the Stonewall Book Award Committee.

 

Item Facilitator: Round Table Chair

 

Vote: Yes

 

Supporting Information: At the 2014 Midwinter Meeting, the GLBTRT Board voted to split the Stonewall Book Award Committee into two subcommittees.  The board committed to revisiting this issue at the 2016 ALA Midwinter Meeting.  This issue is item 9 on the minutes from that meeting: http://connect.ala.org/node/217048

 
The motion language committing the board to this: The motion language was: Motion to split the existing sbac into 2 subcommittees, one for literature and non-fiction and one for Children and YA, with the notion in 2 years, we (the board) revisit this issue and decide if we want separate committees (i.e. literature and non-fiction).   

 

 
X. Future of Stonewall Book Awards Program (15 mins) [Scheduled for 2015 August Board Meeting]

 
Action: Motion to continue to make the Stonewall Book Awards event be a program consisting of a speaker and awards presentations.  The program will not require tickets.
 

Item Facilitator: Round Table Chair

 

Vote: Yes

 

Supporting Information: At the 2014 Annual Conference, the GLBTRT Board voted to pilot a new kind of Stonewall Awards event at 2015 Annual.  

 

The minutes item is as follows:

16. Discussion About Costs of the Social and Stonewall Book Awards Brunch
This item wasn't on the agenda, it grew out of discussion at the end of the meeting.
 
Due to cost considerations, do we want to change the Book Awards brunch event and replace it with just a presentation? Do we want the presentation done as part of the Social? If so, does that become a ticketed event? It was pointed out that we had a $6,000 deficit from our last event. Here in Las Vegas, we are losing money as the brunch tickets cost $55, but the charge to us from the hotel is $75. The idea of doing away with the brunch and making it a program slot with the awards and a speaker or two was raised. Is there another option?  A motion was made and passed that the San Francisco awards be done as a program with a speaker and no ticket as a trial to see how this scenario works. There will be a booklet and a bookmark done for the event. 
 
Taken from item 16 on the 2014 Annual Conference board meeting minutes: http://connect.ala.org/node/225623

More...

Online Doc 2014-10 Executive Board Meeting Agenda

by Melody Townley on Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 01:23 pm

2014-10 Executive Board Meeting Agenda

October 22nd, 2014, 4 pm CST

Location: Conference Call

Dial - (605) 475-4700

Enter Access Code - 974507#

 

1. Call to Order

2014-10 Executive Board Meeting Agenda

October 22nd, 2014, 4 pm CST

Location: Conference Call

Dial - (605) 475-4700

Enter Access Code - 974507#

 

1. Call to Order

Action: The meeting will be called to order.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

 

2. Introductions

Action: Callers present should introduce themselves.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

 

3. Approval of Agenda

Action: Approve agenda for October 2014 meeting.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: Yes

Background Information: http://connect.ala.org/node/229703

 

4. Approval of Previous Board Meeting Minutes (5 mins)

Action: Approve minutes from September 2014 Executive Board Meeting.

Item Facilitator: Melody Townley

Vote: n/a

Background Information: http://connect.ala.org/node/229102

 

5. Treasurer's Report (5 mins)

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Dale McNeill

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information:  

 

6. Motion to Accept Restricted Gift (10 mins)

Action: Motion to accept a restricted gift for the round table for the purposes of advocacy.

Item Facilitator: Dale McNeill

Vote: Yes 

Supporting Information: This item is for a motion to accept a restricted gift to the GLBTRT operating fund of $500 from  Patricia Glass-Schuman for the purpose of advocacy.
We received this gift in February and Dale reported on it. Dale worked with ALA staff at the time, as restricted gifts are not common to the Round Table. However, he has recently learned from ALA Development that the Board does need to take action to accept any restricted gifts. 

 

7. Annual Conference Schedule (15 mins)

Action: Discussion and “finalize” information for 2015 Annual schedule of events and meetings for preliminary schedule database.

Item Facilitator: Roland Hansen

Vote: No

Supporting Information: Here is what we had in Las Vegas, 2014:

Saturday Exec Bd Mtg, 830am-1130am

Saturday,  Program, 3pm-530pm

Sunday,  Membership Meeting, 1015-1115am

Sunday,  Social, 6-8pm

Monday,  Stonewall Event, 1030am-2pm                  

Just using the index for the Program Book, I didn’t see any time slots for meetings of any committees, so am assuming there aren’t any. The Membership Meeting will have to be moved from Sunday since I don’t  think we should have it on Pride Sunday;  possibly Monday morning, or possibly Saturday 1-2pm right before Program.  We also need to include the RBMS Co-sponsored program, and include the pre-conference.  For each scheduled event/meeting/whatever, the name of the Chair, Job title, and Institutional affiliation is now required.  The Midwinter time choices were really limited, but there is an option to choose OTHER, which allows any times to be entered.  I’m assuming though that these choices may come under some scrutiny at ALA if “odd times” are chosen, like 1015am, which will not be chosen. 

 

8. 45th Anniversary Annual Celebration Brainstorm (15 mins)

Action: Informal Discussion with board, Tom Fortin and Karen Strauss

Item Facilitator: All

Vote: No

Supporting Information: Members will brainstorm and discuss ways to celebrate GLBTRT's 45th anniversary at the 2015 Annual Conference in San Francisco, CA.

 

9. ALA Annual 2015 Social (15 mins)

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Dale McNeill, Tom Fortin (San Mateo County Library), and Karen Strauss (SFPL)

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information: Dale, Tom, and Karen will discuss the status of the ALA Annual 2015 Social in San Francisco, CA. 

 

10. ALA Design Office Web Mock-Ups

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: David Isaak

Vote: Informal

Supporting Information: Dave will ask the Executive Board for feedback on the new GLBTRT custom Connect page designs created by the ALA Design Office. The actual mock-ups can be viewed here: http://connect.ala.org/node/229789

 

11. Announcements

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Any

Vote: n/a

 

12. Adjournment

Action: The meeting will be adjourned.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

 

More...

Online Doc 2014-09 Executive Board Meeting Agenda & Minutes

by Melody Townley on Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 12:27 pm

2014-09 Executive Board Meeting Agenda & Minutes

This document holds meeting minutes in spaces at the end of each agenda item.  The minutes for this meeting will be approved at the October board meeting.  Please share agenda/minutes amendments to the board email list.  Non-board members can submit amendments via the board contact form

 

September 22nd, 2014, 6 pm CST

Location: Conference Call

2014-09 Executive Board Meeting Agenda & Minutes

This document holds meeting minutes in spaces at the end of each agenda item.  The minutes for this meeting will be approved at the October board meeting.  Please share agenda/minutes amendments to the board email list.  Non-board members can submit amendments via the board contact form

 

September 22nd, 2014, 6 pm CST

Location: Conference Call

Dial - (605) 475-4700

Enter Access Code - 974507#

 

Attendees: A. Symons, P. Coyl, A. de Campos Salles, D. McNeill, R. Hansen, M. Ciszek, L. Romans, L. Johnston, M. Townley

Guests: D. Issak

1. Call to Order

Action: The meeting will be called to order.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

Minutes: The meeting was called to order at 6:03 pm CST.

 

2. Introductions

Action: Callers present should introduce themselves.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

Minutes: N/A

 

 

3. Approval of Agenda

Action: Approve agenda for September 2014 meeting.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: Yes

Background Information: http://connect.ala.org/node/228740

Minutes: The agenda was approved.

 

4. Approval of Previous Board Meeting Minutes (5 mins)

Action: Approve minutes from August 2014 Executive Board Meeting.

Item Facilitator: Melody Townley

Vote: n/a

Background Information: http://connect.ala.org/node/228739  

Minutes: The minutes were adopted with two small changes: Carolyn Caywood should be listed as a guest instead of as a board member and Matt’s last name, “Ciszek”, was misspelled.

 

5. Treasurer's Report (5 mins)

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Dale McNeill

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information:  Dale received the financial reports from ALA that go through the end of July. In large part due to $13,865 donated in July (thanks to the challenge issued by Larry Romans) the balance of the fund as of July 31, 2014, was $203,043.

See the full report here: http://connect.ala.org/node/228567

Minutes: Dale reminded the Executive Board that his full report can be found on Connect. He plans to have a treasurer report every meeting. This year, there should be a small amount of income from advertising and the RT should finish either in the black or very close to in the black. (Reminder that fiscal years run from September to August. Currently, GLBTRT only has reports from ALA through July 31st, 2014.) Dale encouraged the membership to consider what type of things they would like to see happen in the September 2015 to August 2016 year and to speak with Dale regarding funding of new ideas. Dale hoped to have the September 2015 – August 2016 budget ready to present at the November Executive Board meeting. That way, there could be discussion and adjustment time before Midwinter, and then the budget could simply be adopted at Midwinter.

 

6. Charge for Fundraising Committee (15 mins)

Action: Motion to adopt a charge for the GLBTRT Fundraising Committee

Item Facilitator: Bylaws Committee and Larry Romans

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information: The draft charge for this committee was not adopted at the board meeting during 2013 Annual Conference because it didn't mention planned giving.

    • The charge language posed at that meeting is located here: 
  • The meeting minutes for 2013 are located here: http://connect.ala.org/node/208501
        
  • New proposed draft charge: “Identifies and solicits funds from sources, other than member dues, to increase the long term investment fund for the Stonewall Book Awards and to fund other initiatives as set forth by the GLBTRT Board. Develops and implements a fundraising plan to encourage more GLBTRT members and others to donate. Develops a list of potential individual, corporate, and foundation donors. Plans and implements planned giving, sponsorships, projects, and other fund raisers, Coordinates with the GLBTRT Treasurer and the ALA Development Office.”

Minutes: It was pointed out that committee charges are not in the purview of the Bylaws Committee. The motion to adopt a charge for the GLBTRT Fundraising Committee was passed.  Larry Romans was congratulated for his excellent challenge fundraising campaign. At Annual, the donations reached their goal. Over $15,000 in matching donations (over $30,000 total) was raised. 

 

7. GLBTRT Board Meeting Norms Proposal (15 mins)

Action: Motion to adopt the below meeting document as board procedure.

Item Facilitator: David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting InformationDRAFT GLBTRT Board Meeting Norms Document [Word Document, 2 Pages]

During June 13 board meeting, the board: 1. Wasn't sure if all the language was needed.  2. Brainstormed about where these procedures would be placed.  The GLBTRT Leadership Responsibilities document was one suggestion.  Board decided this was an item for the Sept 2014 Conference Call.

Minutes: David Vess was unable to attend this call, so this item was pushed back to the October Executive Board meeting.

8. Web Site Updates & Marketing Proposal (15 mins)

Action: Motion to enlist ALA design services to create custom branding for the GLBTRT website and create feature slides for use on the round table home page.  (David and David recommend priority be given to the slides.)

Item Facilitator: David Isaak, GLBTRT Web Cmte Chair & David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information:

    • Examples: Look at any of the ALA division sites. They have their own header and color  palette.
    • Costs:        
      •   
      • Design of up to 6 feature slides for website: $400-500  
      •   

      • Design of custom header for website and color scheme $400-500  
      •   

      • List of potential slides to be developed: Book Awards; Elections; Committee Volunteering; Professional Resources Page; News site; Reviews site; OTR site; Rainbow Site; 
      •   

      • If there is a concern with costs, I think it’s worth it to have professionally developed feature slides done first. We could live without a new website heading and color changes.

Minutes: David Isaak joined this call to speak on the matter. He broke the Web Committee’s website update & marketing proposal down into two main parts: feature slides and a customer header & color scheme.

He explained that all ALA divisions have “feature slides” that rotate on a timer to highlight timely information. He pointed out that currently, the GLBTRT website has many items on the right hand sidebar – but often many of these things fall “below the fold” on the website. In other words, people must scroll down to see them and they are not immediately visible to the viewer. Depending on screen size, the amount below the fold may vary dramatically. David proposed that the more timely items listed there (i.e.  a call for volunteers, yearly award announcements, etc.) would be better served by being turned into slides. That way, the unchanging items (i.e. connecting with the round table through social media), could stay on the sidebar and still be seen “above the fold”. The clarification was made that the $400-$500 proposed cost would cover ALA Design Services creating 4-6 slides. These slides should ideally either be related to perennial events that could be reused every year (i.e. the Stonewall award winners being announced) or have a text layer that could easily be edited by the Web Committee to make small cosmetic changes (i.e. a slide advertising the membership meeting or social where the date, time, and location could be changed). It was questioned whether the RT could only create slides in batches of 4-6 or whether individual slides could be designed as needed. David explained that it took roughly 6 months of regular emailing just to receive a price quote, so this would likely be a “one time deal” as it was unlikely that ALA Design Services could create a single slide in a timely manner.

The second half of the Web Committee proposal involved designing a custom header & color scheme for the GLBTRT website so that it would stand out as a distinct entity online. The GAMERT and RUSA webpages were shown as examples of divisions or RTs had created distinct headers & color schemes. Some concerns were raised about the fact that the proposal was not fully detailed. But it was clarified that the roundtable was voting on allowing the Web Committee to enlist ALA Design Services to create a set of custom designs that would then later be approved by the RT. There are currently no firm designs in place. The question was raised about seeing if ALA Design Services could incorporate the color scheme and imagery from the GLBTRT brochure into the any new website header & color scheme. The point was made that a “redesign” of the site would make the most sense if both the slides and the header & color scheme were undertaken at the same time.

A motion was made that the Board approve spending up to $1,000 for the design of up to 6 feature slides for the website and the design of a custom header & color scheme for the website. The motion was passed.

 

9. Pride Parade Update (15 mins)

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information: Message from Paul Graller:  “Sunday will be a challenge.  I have no problem with ticketing, t-shirts, waivers, etc. We are waiting for SFPL to determine how many people they can accommodate so we can set a top level for the ticketing system.  They are seeing how many vehicles they can get and think they can get appropriate numbers of ‘monitors’.”

Minutes: The Executive Board was still waiting on further word from Paul Graller. Conference Services is still working on this issue. The only update thus far is that Sunday is complicated due to the fact that Market Street (one of the streets dividing the convention center from most of the ALA approved hotels) will be closed from 5 am until 5 pm due to the Pride Parade. ALA was mostly unable to get hotels on the same side as the convention center because the hotels priced themselves out of ALA’s price range due to the expected boom in area hotel reservations due to the Pride Parade. This closure will make traveling between most hotels and the convention center very difficult. It is likely that the only  GLBTRT “program” scheduled on Sunday will be the GLBTRT Social on Sunday evening.  The Pride Parade will be an ALA ticketed event.  

 

10. Announcements

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Any

Vote: n/a

Minutes: It was reminded that August’s Executive Board meeting brought up the importance of beginning to brainstorm ways to celebrate the 45th anniversary of GLBTRT at Annual. This item was added to the parking lot for October’s meeting agenda.

A question was raised about future meeting dates and times since the delay in Emerging Leaders applications threw off the initial planned meeting time table. Matt C. announced that he would create a Doodle poll to decide times for future meetings and Ann announced that she would email out a list of proposed future meeting dates. [Note: the meeting list was mailed out and proposed future meeting dates are: October 22, November 19, December 17, January 14th, skip February, March 11, April 15, May 13, and June 10. All days are Wednesdays.]

A question was raised about the progress of the Stonewall, OTR, & Rainbow committees new volunteer selection process, given Ann’s recent email to the listserv.  One of the board members interpreted the message as a plea for volunteers and as a concern for the future of the committee and its ability to be fully manned with volunteers. The email was not intended as such, but regardless of the perceived tone, it seems to have done its job. Ann and Peter announced that they believed they should have no trouble finding volunteers for the committees. Additionally, the email opened up an interesting dialog on the listserv about why many people refrain from volunteering for the committee (inability to commit to two Midwinters plus travel expenses, the belief that so many were applying that it was unlikely to be chosen, bad timing personally for the current year, the huge time commitment that reading and judging all the books would take, etc.). Ann announced that this year’s volunteer staffing was likely to be the hardest because the committee was searching for a full 22 volunteers so that they could begin the new format of 11 members cycling on and off the committee each year. In future years, only 11 new volunteers would be needed. Ann reported that OTR and Rainbow each had 4-5 openings.   There have been many applications for the Stonewall youth subcommittee and less so for the adult subcommittee.

 

Change to Executive Session

Melody Townley recused herself from the Executive Session.

 

11. Emerging Leaders (15 mins)

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information:  The executive board will move into executive session to discuss the Emerging Leader candidates and decide upon candidate names. These names will to be sent to Beatrice Calvin, ALA Emerging Leaders program.

Minutes: The board voted to move into Executive Session to discuss the Emerging Leaders candidates. The Board voted to send forwards to ALA the names of one candidate and two alternates.

 

12. Adjournment

Action: The meeting will be adjourned.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

Minutes:The meeting was adjourned at 6:55 pm CST.

More...

Online Doc Basics of Parliamentary Procedure

by Melody Townley on Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 01:31 pm

Parliamentary Procedures Basics
Compiled by Larry Romans

While parliamentary procedure has baffled members of every organization, the basics for a group like ours are not that complicated.

Call to Order. After the presiding officer says “The meeting will please come to order,” the meeting usually starts with two things—approving the agenda and the minutes.

Parliamentary Procedures Basics
Compiled by Larry Romans

While parliamentary procedure has baffled members of every organization, the basics for a group like ours are not that complicated.

Call to Order. After the presiding officer says “The meeting will please come to order,” the meeting usually starts with two things—approving the agenda and the minutes.

Agenda and Minutes. The only time you need to vote on the agenda is when a change is proposed and someone objects. Likewise, there is no need to vote on the minutes unless there is some disagreement about what happened at the earlier meeting.

If no changes are proposed, the chair says, as appropriate, “The agenda is adopted as distributed” or “The minutes are adopted as distributed.”

Members can ask that an item be added to the agenda or that the order of items be changed, or they can ask that the minutes be changed. After each proposed change the presiding officer asks” "Is there any objection to making this change?”If not, the chair says “There being no objections, the change is made." If there is an objection, a vote must be taken, and a majority vote decides. After all proposed changes have been dealt with, the chair says, as appropriate, “The agenda is adopted as amended” or “The minutes are adopted as amended.”

Reports by Officers. After each report, the presiding officer asks if there are any questions. No vote is taken.

Financial Reports. No vote is necessary for regular financial reports. The only financial report that an organization should approve is one presented by auditors.

Unfinished Business (It’s not called “old” business anymore). Unfinished business includes only motions or reports that were postponed or were interrupted when the previous meeting was adjourned. According to Sturgis, just because an item was discussed at an earlier meeting does not make it unfinished business. Likewise, an item that was referred to a committee is not unfinished business. However, in the past we have included these items under unfinished business.

Motions. A motion should be concise and clear and should be stated in the affirmative. If using parliamentary procedure strictly, a member would make a motion before discussing an item. However, in our group often the motion will not be made until after some informal consideration, after which we come to a consensus about the motion. After a motion is made, the presiding officer repeats the motion for clarity. Our meetings are rather informal, but the principal rules governing different types of motions have been distributed separately.

Seconding Motions. Motions made by committee chairs do not require a second, but other motions require a second. A member can second a motion just because she wants the group to discuss it. Seconding a motion does not necessarily mean that you support it.

Amendments. Strictly speaking, once the motion has been seconded, the motion is no longer under the control of the maker, but rather of the body. Amendments—friendly or otherwise—would require a vote. However, we usually allow “friendly” amendments to clarify the resolution or to avoid having to proceed with official votes on the amendment and then the main motion. Nonetheless, if there is disagreement about whether to adopt an amendment, then we need to vote on that amendment.

Convoluted Motions. If the discussion leads to many suggestions for changes to the motion, whether official amendments or not, it may be better to postpone discussion of the item until later in the meeting or until the next meeting--so that the mover and other interested people can get together to come up with a consensus motion. Motions that are thrown together at the last minute usually don’t serve the group well.

Calling the Question. If someone “calls the question” (which is not permitted if it interrupts a speaker), the chair can respond, “Is there any objection to closing debate?” If there is no objection, the chair can call for a vote on the question. If there is an objection to closing debate, the motion to close debate requires a second. It is not debatable, and it requires a 2/3 vote to close debate.

Adjournment. The presiding officer asks if there is any more business. If no one brings up an item, the presiding officer then says, “If there is no other business, the meeting is adjourned.” Only if some member objects to adjournment does there need to be a vote to adjourn.

                                                                                                                                                                                                9-22-14

More...

Online Doc 2014-09 GLBTRT Executive Board Meeting Agenda

by Melody Townley on Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 06:50 pm

2014-09 Executive Board Meeting Agenda

September 22nd, 2014, 6 pm CST

Location: Conference Call

Dial - (605) 475-4700

Enter Access Code - 974507#

 

1. Call to Order

Action: The meeting will be called to order.

2014-09 Executive Board Meeting Agenda

September 22nd, 2014, 6 pm CST

Location: Conference Call

Dial - (605) 475-4700

Enter Access Code - 974507#

 

1. Call to Order

Action: The meeting will be called to order.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

2. Introductions

Action: Callers present should introduce themselves.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

3. Approval of Agenda

Action: Approve agenda for September 2014 meeting.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: Yes

Background Information: http://connect.ala.org/node/228740

4. Approval of Previous Board Meeting Minutes (5 mins)

Action: Approve minutes from August 2014 Executive Board Meeting.

Item Facilitator: Melody Townley

Vote: n/a

Background Information: http://connect.ala.org/node/228739  

5. Treasurer's Report (5 mins)

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Dale McNeill

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information:  Dale received the financial reports from ALA that go through the end of July. In large part due to $13,865 donated in July (thanks to the challenge issued by Larry Romans) the balance of the fund as of July 31, 2014, was $203,043.

See the full report here: http://connect.ala.org/node/228567

6. Charge for Fundraising Committee (15 mins)

Action: Motion to adopt a charge for the GLBTRT Fundraising Committee

Item Facilitator: Bylaws Committee and Larry Romans

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information: The draft charge for this committee was not adopted at the board meeting during 2013 Annual Conference because it didn't mention planned giving.

    • The charge       language posed at that meeting is located here: 
  • The meeting minutes for 2013 are located here:
    http://connect.ala.org/node/208501
  • New proposed draft charge: “Identifies and solicits funds from sources, other than member dues, to increase the long term investment fund for the Stonewall Book Awards and to fund other initiatives as set forth by the GLBTRT Board. Develops and implements a fundraising plan to encourage more GLBTRT members and others to donate.  Develops a list of potential individual, corporate, and foundation donors. Plans and implements planned giving, sponsorships, projects, and other fund raisers, Coordinates with the GLBTRT Treasurer and the ALA Development Office.”

7. GLBTRT Board Meeting Norms Proposal (15 mins)

Action: Motion to adopt the below meeting document as board procedure.

Item Facilitator: David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting InformationDRAFT GLBTRT Board Meeting Norms Document [Word Document, 2 Pages]

During June 13 board meeting, the board: 1. Wasn't sure if all the language was needed.  2. Brainstormed about where these procedures would be placed.  The GLBTRT Leadership Responsibilities document was one suggestion.  Board decided this was an item for the Sept 2014 Conference Call.

8. Web Site Updates & Marketing Proposal (15 mins)

Action: Motion to enlist ALA design services to create custom branding for the GLBTRT website and create feature slides for use on the round table home page.  (David and David recommend priority be given to the slides.)

Item Facilitator: David Isaak, GLBTRT Web Cmte Chair & David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information:

    • Examples: Look       at any of the ALA division sites. They have their own header and color       palette.
    • Costs:
      •   
      • Design of up        to 6 feature slides for website: $400-500
      •   

      • Design of        custom header for website and color scheme $400-500
      •   

      • List of        potential slides to be developed: Book Awards; Elections; Committee        Volunteering; Professional Resources Page; News site; Reviews site; OTR        site; Rainbow Site;
      •   

      • If there is a        concern with costs, I think it’s worth it to have professionally        developed feature slides done first. We could live without a new website        heading and color changes.

9. Pride Parade Update (15 mins)

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information: Message from Paul Graller:  “Sunday will be a challenge.  I have no problem with ticketing, t-shirts, waivers, etc. We are waiting for SFPL to determine how many people they can accommodate so we can set a top level for the ticketing system.  They are seeing how many vehicles they can get and think they can get appropriate numbers of ‘monitors’.”

10. Announcements

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Any

Vote: n/a

Change to Executive Session

11. Emerging Leaders (15 mins)

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information:  The executive board will move into executive session to discuss the Emerging Leader candidates and decide upon candidate names to be sent to Beatrice Calvin, ALA Emerging Leaders program.

12. Adjournment

Action: The meeting will be adjourned.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

More...

Online Doc 2014 ALA Annual GLBTRT Executive Board Meeting Agenda & Notes

by David Vess on Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 01:42 pm

This document holds both the agenda and meeting minutes.  Each item has a minutes section.  The minutes for this meeting will be approved at the July board meeting.

Saturday, June 28, 2014
8:30 am to 11:30 am, US/Pacific
Location: Las Vegas Convention Center, Room N229

This document holds both the agenda and meeting minutes.  Each item has a minutes section.  The minutes for this meeting will be approved at the July board meeting.

Saturday, June 28, 2014
8:30 am to 11:30 am, US/Pacific
Location: Las Vegas Convention Center, Room N229

Attendees:  Present: R. Hansen, chair; A. Symons, chair-elect; D. Vess, past chair; D. McNeill, treasurer; P. Hepburn round table councilor; M. Freeman; M. Townley; S. Vaillancourt; R. Ridinger; L. Johnston; L. Romans; P. Coyl; M. Ciszek; F. Cervone; W. Walker; B. Graziano; I. Abrams; A. Johnson, secretary. 

1. Call to Order (Roland)

Minutes: The meeting was called to order at 8:32 A.M. 

2. Introductions (Roland)

Minutes: Introductions of all present were made.

3. Approval of Agenda (Discussion, Vote) (Roland)

Minutes: Item #9 will not need a vote, just a discussion.  The agenda was approved.   

4. Approval of Previous Board Meeting Minutes (5 mins)

Action: Approve minutes from 13 June board meeting.

Item Facilitator: Andrew Johnson

Vote: n/a

Background Information:

Minutes: The minutes of the June 13, 2014 Executive Board Meeting were approved.

 

5. 2015 ALA Annual Pre-Conference Committee (20 mins)

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Shawn P. Vaillancourt & Carrie Moran

Vote: n/a

Supporting InformationGLBTRT 2015 ALA Annual Pre-Conference Committee Report [Word doc]

Minutes: The meeting next proceeded to a report from the 2015 ALA Preconference Committee. The theme the committee is working on is Building LGBT Libraries. There were a number of questions raised: how much should it cost, do we want to make money on the event, how much should we pay speakers, should we focus on a specific type of library? It was pointed out that members of ALA cannot be paid for speaking. Discussion ensued. We should probably focus on public and school libraries. Symons felt we should keep the cost low. Our charge should be compared to other pre-conference events. It was noted that the information for this event needs to be to ALA offices soon. This item will be one of the items up for discussion at the August board meeting.

 

6. ALA Executive Board Liaison Visit (10 mins) 

Action: Hear a report from ALA Executive Board Liaison.

Item Facilitator: Roland Hansen

Vote: n/a

Supporting InformationALA Executive Board Talking Points

Minutes: The meeting next had a presentation from our representative from the ALA Executive Board, Sara Kelly Johns. She reported that current membership in the organization stands at 56,637, which is down slightly from last year. The organization has lost about five thousand members in the last five years. The number of student chapters has increased. The attendance at this conference as of Sat. morning stood at 18,000 which is slightly more than the Anaheim conference two years ago but less than Chicago last year. The Task Force on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion will begin its work at this conference. 

 

7. Appointment Process for Book List and Award Committees (10 mins)

Action: Information Sharing

Item Facilitator: Peter Coyl and Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

Supporting InformationGLBTRT Book List & Award Committee Volunteer Form [Word doc]

Minutes: The next item of business was the appointment process for book list and award committees. Plans are being made for these changes. Next year 22 members will be needed, one half of whom will serve a one-year term and half a two-year term. The committee chairs will need to be involved. Persons who wish to volunteer need to use the ALA volunteer form but provide more information than usual as to their qualifications. It needs to be noted that attendance at mid-winter is required; attendance at annual is highly recommended. 

 

8. Gender Neutral Restrooms at ALA Annual and Midwinter Meetings (15 mins)

Action: Discussion with Paul Graller or another representative from ALA Conference Services about our request for gender neutral restrooms at Annual and Midwinter.

Item Facilitator: Roland Hansen

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information:

Minutes: After Ms. Johns left, the next order of business was a discussion of gender-neutral restrooms. One such restroom has been designated at this conference. Paul Graller, ALA Conference Services, has reported no problems in setting up this restroom for this conference. In the future the location of these restrooms should be noted in the Scheduler. This type of restroom should be available at all conferences and division meetings. 

 

9. National GLBT Book Month (20 mins)

Action: Determine whether or not the round table wants to pursue establishing an ALA/GLBTRT National GLBT Book Month held every June.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons, Peter Coyl

Vote: Yes n/a

Supporting Information / Questions:

Do we have the capacity and the interest for a new GLBTRT initiative: National GLBT Book Month/June?

Nel Ward, current GLBT News Chair, received a message from the editor of Chase's Calendar of Events asking if we would like to continue to have National GLBT Book Month listed under the name of ALA/GLBTRT.

Apparently this has been listed for the past 15 or more years. If you Google "National GLBT Book Month" there is not much information from a national GLBT book month. According to Chase, we "own" this and it is our decision about what we want to do with it.

Do we want to pick this up and make something of it? Do we have the capacity to take on a new initiative? Do we need a new committee?

Will it cost money? To be listed in Chase, “no”
To put together an annual initiative – yes
Can we get sponsorships?
Can we get celebrity endorsements?
Do we have the capacity to start one more initiative?
Do we have reliable volunteers?
Can we start small?
Will ALA help us publicize National GLBT Book Month?
Do we ask “membership” what they think beginning with the membership meeting tomorrow?

What are the negatives? What are the positives?

Mary Ghikas, in a message to me, noted: GLBTRT might want to take a look at a couple of "weeks" that are supported by ALA through the Divisions: Teen Tech Week (YALSA), Teen Read Week (YALSA), Preservation Week (ALCTS). You know Kim Olsen-Clark in Development; she's a good person to talk to about sponsorships. You might also want to talk with Charles Wilt about how he got Preservation Week rolling. I think he had some national partners - like LC -- that helped make the initial splash.  Mg

Minutes: Next up for discussion was the National GLBT Book Month. It has been listed in Chase Calendar of Events for many years. Do we want to keep the listing? Discussion followed. Paul Graller has said he would like more GLBT presence in the exhibit floor. The listing does give us a presence in a national reference publication. It was decided to keep the listing for now.

 

10. Charge for Fundraising Committee (15 mins)

NB: The language posed in a charge by Larry Romans and Joel Nichols posed at 2013 Annual didn't pass for a lack of mention of planned giving.

Action: Discuss new charge for fundraising committee.

Item Facilitator: Larry Romans

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information: The draft charge for this committee was not adopted at the board meeting at 2013 Annual Conference.

Minutes: Proposed changes to the Fundraising Committee will be completed by August and sent to the Bylaws Committee. 

 

11. GLBTRT Resources Committee Update (10 mins)

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Cat Walker

Vote: n/a

Supporting InformationGLBTRT Resources Committee Report [Word doc]

Minutes:  There was a report from the GLBTRT Resources Committee. Its work formally begins at this conference. The committee is already at work on its webpage. More bibliographies will be produced, such as one for hate crimes, transgender issues and Afro-American lgbt issues. This will be a professional tools page for librarians to use. 

 

12. GLBT News Progress (10 mins)

Action: Update to the board about the current progress of GLBT News. Thanks to Nel Ward, the out going chair of the news committee.  Introduction of incoming GLBT News chair John Mack Freeman. Brief highlights of what the committee has accomplished since the January redesign. Informing people on how they can help or get involved if they want to.

Item Facilitator(s): Roland Hansen and Mack Freeman 

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information:

Minutes: A report on the incoming, news committee chair was next. Mack Freeman reported GLBT News is updated on a continual basis.  Subscribers can sign up to receive a daily email from the site of the latest posts.  There are currently 107 subscribers. A typical week will have 8-15 news articles. There was a discussion of how to make the email subscription feature more well known.  Visit the contact page to sign up.  

13. GLBTRT Ad hoc Local Arrangements Committee - Draft Guidelines (10 mins)

Action: Motion to adopt the attached guidelines regarding our Local Arrangements Committee. The committee is the group that plans our socials.

Item Facilitator: David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting InformationDraft Guidelines for GLBTRT Local Arrangements Committee [Word doc]

Minutes: D. Vess submitted the above draft guidelines for the GLBTRT Ad Hoc Local Arrangements Committee.  The guidelines are based off of input from a number of people including our treasurer.  A motion to adopt the submitted guidelines was made and it will become the first entry in a GLBTRT procedure manual.  

 

14. GLBTRT Project Proposal Form -- Proposal (15 mins)

Action: Motion to adopt the draft project proposal form and add to website web forms along with the board contact form: http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/about/contact

Item Facilitator: David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting Informationhttp://connect.ala.org/node/114947

Minutes: The draft project proposal form was adopted by the board.  It is already in place on the GLBTRT website.  

 

15. Web Site Updates & Marketing Proposal (15 mins)

Action: Motion to enlist ALA design services to create custom branding for the GLBTRT website and create feature slides for use on the round table home page.  (David and David recommend priority be given to the slides.)

Item Facilitator: David Isaak, GLBTRT Web Cmte Chair & David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information:

    • Examples: Look at any of the ALA division sites. They have their own header and color palette.
    • Costs:
      • Design of up to 6 feature slides for website: $400-500
      • Design of custom header for website and color scheme $400-500
      • List of potential slides to be developed: Book Awards; Elections; Committee Volunteering; Professional Resources Page; News site; Reviews site; OTR site; Rainbow Site;
      • If there is a concern with costs, I think it’s worth it to have professionally developed feature slides done first. We could live without a new website heading and color changes.

 Minutes: This item was discussed but was tabled for a later board meeting.

 

16. Discussion About Costs of the Social and Stonewall Book Awards Brunch

This item wasn't on the agenda, it grew out of discussion at the end of the meeting.

Due to cost considerations, do we want to change the Book Awards brunch event and replace it with just a presentation? Do we want the presentation done as part of the Social? If so, does that become a ticketed event? It was pointed out that we had a $6,000 deficit from our last event. Here in Las Vegas, we are losing money as the brunch tickets cost $55, but the charge to us from the hotel is $75. The idea of doing away with the brunch and making it a program slot with the awards and a speaker or two was raised. Is there another option?  A motion was made and passed that the San Francisco awards be done as a program with a speaker and no ticket as a trial to see how this scenario works. There will be a booklet and a bookmark done for the event. 

 

17. Announcements

Minutes

    • It was reported that as of this morning, the challenge for the book awards endowment had generated $14,626. 
    • Total membership in the round table has stayed static at 917 members over the last two years. In relation to other round tables, this is good as many of the others have seen a drop in their membership.

 

18. Adjournment

Minutes: The meeting was adjourned at 11:30 A.M.  

 

Appendix Committee Reports

Board Reports

Committee Reports

Representative and Liaison Reports

  • Representative to Budget Analysis and Review Committee (BARC):
    [None Submitted]
  • Representatives to Diversity Council, a subcommittee of the Committee on Diversity: http://connect.ala.org/node/225620 [Word Doc] 

  • Representative to Freedom to Read Foundation (FTRF): 
    http://connect.ala.org/node/226420 [Word File] 

  • Representative to Legislation Assembly (ALA Committee on Legislation): 
    [None Submitted]
  • Representative to Office for Literacy and Outreach Services Advisory Committee [None Submitted]
  • Representative to Round Table Coordinating Assembly (RTCA): [None Submitted]
  • Liaison to New Members Round Table (NMRT):[None Submitted]
  • Liaison Planning and Budget Assembly (Treasurer Ex-officio):  
    [None Submitted]
  • Representative to Social Responsibilities Round Table [vacant]
  • Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA): http://connect.ala.org/node/225619 [Word doc]
More...

Discussion Update on Conference Calls

by Ann Symons on Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 09:41 pm

Conference Call Update:

I am currently working with the survey that Melody conducted about meeting times for conference calls.

The second Wednesday of the month will be the preferred date.   

We will not have a conference call on August 13th as we will have to have a conference call before September   10th.

The likely date will be Wednesday, August 27th, time TBD.

We will have our regular agenda items and then go into Executive Session to discuss the Emerging Leader applicants. 

Online Doc August 2014 Conference Call Agenda

by Melody Townley on Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 01:45 pm

File Sturgis Cheat Sheet

by Matthew Ciszek on Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:30 pm

PDF File, 282.52 KB

Pages

The GLBT Round Table is governed by an elected executive board.  The board consists of the chair, chair-elect, past-chair, treasurer, secretary, councilor, and five directors-at-Large.

The executive board will:

  • provide oversight and long-term planning for the round table, including: goal-setting, programs, projects, activities, and publications;
  • conduct and review all business between membership meetings;
  • carry out  the formal decisions of  membership;
  • review and approve an annual round table budget;
  • report activities to membership through round table communication channels; and
  • make recommendations to membership by all round table communication channels.

Board votes may be conducted by mail, electronic system, or conference call, provided that all board members are canvassed simultaneously. The chair has the authority to set a time limit within which the votes shall be recorded. If no such time limit is set, no vote shall be counted unless received within 30 days of the date the text of the matter to be voted upon was sent properly addressed to all board members.

Complete descriptions of board member and committee chair roles, are in the Leadership Responsibilities section of the procedure manual.

Subscribe to GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)