RUSA Membership Committee (Reference and User Services Association) Committee
- ACTION: Take a look at the Virtual RUSA 101 script and slides and give feedback by 10/2 on the node: http://connect.ala.org/node/225789
- ACTION: Kate will ask LITA what format they use for their 201
- ACTION: Mary Popp and Greg will work with Leighann to get the computer, extra table, and figure out how to identify these people for RUSA Social
- ACTION: Mary will look into how we might work with the ALA Office of Student to Staff for opportunities to present as “Why ALA” not just “Why RUSA”
- ACTION: Greg volunteered to help Mary and Dave with the program and memberships
- ACTION: Provide Feedback by 9/19 on this node: http://connect.ala.org/node/228509
- ACTION: Micquel will work with Marianne on the Communication Plan: ANN will provide the introduction
Please fill out the Doodle Poll by 9/19 http://doodle.com/bna8xvgn2kr53nh2
And now I'm officially done spamming you, well maybe ;-)
My apologies on the lateness of the agenda. I came down with a nasty cold and have been struggling to get everything done!
Our meeting will be on Friday, September 5
We'll be using Adobe Connect and here's the log in information:
- Virtual RUSA 101: Joe would like to see these held every month, with an extra happening as we get closer to Midwinter and Annual. We'd like to get others involved, such as section chairs. They are currently set for the second Thursday of the month. Need: RUSA 101 Coordinator (booking Connect, getting people to lead the sessions, marketing)
- Virtual 201: The idea is that this would be part information for people already in RUSA, as well as an Open Forum for Questions. So, 30 minutes content/30 minutes questions. Personally, I'd like to see all of the RUSA Level Committees take one of these sessions on, such as Conference Programming to discuss how to set up a program, what they look for and best practices. Need: A RUSA 201 Coordinator (schedule, contacting possible speakers, marketing)
- Midwinter Social & Annual In-Person RUSA 101: We're in dire need of someone who is willing to work with vendors on securing funding. Liane Taylor has agreed to mentor someone in the art of the deal. We also need someone to work with Leighann Wood to make sure arrangements are set.
- RUSA Ambassadors Program (See Attachment): Dave and Mary have been working on this draft and are looking for feedback and next steps.
- RUSA Sponsored Memberships for Students: Need a small team to take on how to solicit applications. The hope is that every student will also be paired with a mentor, so that will be under the scope of this team as well.
- Communication Plan for our Activities: Who do we contact, when? Who does the contacting and in what venue? Do we work with the RUSA Office? It would help to have a step by step plan laid out of "Hey, you're holding a 101, where do you send the information?"
- New Business/Next Meeting
Wow, it's a lot to cover, but I'm hoping you can take time to look at your calendars and see if you'd be willing to step into any of these roles. I'm hoping by Midwinter that the majority of this will become second nature and easily done.
Talk to you all tomorrow!
This is a reminder that we will hold our meeting on Wednesday AUGUST 29, 5-6:30 PM (ET) in Blackboard Collaborate.
Please use this URL to access our meeting: http://tinyurl.com/rusa-room-1
When it asks for a login, enter your name.
Please try to arrive 5-10 minutes early to test your audio, which you can do once in the system by going to Tools -> Audio -> Audio Set Up Wizard. Please test your audio upon entering.
Headsets are preferred, but there is also a toll-free conference number available: 1-866-718-7314, enter PIN: 91920045#.
You can test your system’s compatibility here: http://support.blackboardcollaborate.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=8336
Here is our agenda:
RUSA Membership Meeting Agenda
- Questions about committee’s charge, members and responsibilities
- RUSA Social at Midwinter
- RUSA 101 at Annual
- LIS Outreach
- Membership "snapshot"
RUSA Membership Committee
Committee Report – Midwinter 2012
Chair: Liane Taylor
RUSA Ambassador Program (LIS Outreach):
Liane Taylor organized a Dec 12 virtual meeting with membership outreach/recruitment contacts in each ALA division and round table to discuss LIS outreach strategies at the division/RT level. The conversation will continue at the ALA Membership Task Force meeting on Sunday at Midwinter. I have uploaded the minutes from the Dec 12 meeting: http://connect.ala.org/node/164421
We will be holding a RUSA 101 at Annual in Anaheim. We will hold it on Friday, from 3p-4p. We will begin promoting it as soon as possible. We have a team working on a plan for the event and we’re hoping to get vendor sponsors for free food. The committee felt that new or interested RUSA members needs a 101 and like human contact. An online version of 101 can be developed eventually to complement, but not replace, conference 101s. Committee members are happy to work with Liz Markel on the development of an online 101. It’s important for the conference 101 to be in the conference program, so it cannot be scheduled during a no-conflict time (Fri 4-7.30p). We also don’t want to schedule the 101 at same time as section Happy Hours (Fri night, Sat night).
- ONLINE complement: Some ideas generated by RUSA Exec/RUSA Office at 2011 Fall Leadership Meeting
- Offer on website before Annual
- Highlighting what RUSA does and is planning for the Conference
- If it were offered as part of a series of webinars highlighting Conference themes offered shortly before Annual, together such webinars could serve several purposes, not only serving to inform about RUSA, but also serving a lead-in to the Conference, and possibly also attracting members who are unable to attend the conference.
- Also: short (5-6 slides) presentation about RUSA available to membership at anytime from the website, and which might also be used in working with library schools to help attract new members
- The RUSA Social will take place on Saturday, January 21st, from 6p-8p at the Adolphus, Century Ballroom A. RUSA office will be identifying prizes to raffle. We have received $2,500 from Thomson Reuters and RUSA will be contributing $2,000.