Syndicate content

LITA Bylaws and Organization Committee Committee

In: Library and Information Technology Association (LITA) -- Governance
View:   Faces | List
DiscussionsDiscussions
Discussions

Discussion Fall 2016 Committee Report

by H. Frank Cervone on Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 03:56 pm

All,

Attached is a copy of the quarterly committee report we send to the LITA Board. Let me know if you have any questions.

Frank

Discussion Committee Report

by Andrea Mullarkey (non-member) on Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 06:15 pm

Hi all,

Did you know Jenny Levine has developed a new committee reporting instrument? It is super easy to use and will capture consistent information for all committees on a quarterly basis going forward. This is the first for our committee. 

Andrea

Discussion Minutes of Meeting at ALAMW16

by Andrea Mullarkey (non-member) on Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 12:59 pm

 
LITA Bylaws & Organization Committee Meeting
ALA Midwinter Meeting - January 9, 2016
 
Attending: Andrea Mullarkey, Matthew, Frank, Paul, Ed, Richard, Jenny Levine
 
Agenda topics:
Update on things that have happened during the fall:
- Interest Group renewals are proceding. (See report on Connect - Bylaws & Organization, All Chairs spaces)
- Multiple updates to the manual, committee charges as directed/requested by Board and other committees

 
LITA Bylaws & Organization Committee Meeting
ALA Midwinter Meeting - January 9, 2016
 
Attending: Andrea Mullarkey, Matthew, Frank, Paul, Ed, Richard, Jenny Levine
 
Agenda topics:
Update on things that have happened during the fall:
- Interest Group renewals are proceding. (See report on Connect - Bylaws & Organization, All Chairs spaces)
- Multiple updates to the manual, committee charges as directed/requested by Board and other committees
- Parliamentary guidance to the board as they transition leadership and work on systems/flow for the Board
 
Major project going forward: LITA MANUAL - THE NEXT GENERATION
We have been talking about this project as an update to the LITA manual but as we continued discussions at Midwinter it is clear that what is needed is more than a simple update or revision.
 
We identified several issues through our discussion:
* The current process for updating the manual is unnecessarily complicated
* The high turnover rate among member leaders in LITA leads to a lack of continuity which compounds the problem of documentation - it is both more important and less regularly done.
* There is a divide between who has the knowledge to develop the content for a manual and who has a mandate/responsibility to make sure it's done.
* What we are experiencing with the manual and bylaws revisions/updates points to a larger organizational dynamic.
* There is a tension between the desire for flexibility within LITA leading to a more loosey-goosey approach and the desire for documentation and consistency.
* The lack of good documentation leads to difficulties with transparency, knowledge transfer and leadership development.
 
We as a group believe two things are needed and as a result propose a 2-pronged solution to the problems:
 
FIRST, we as a committee believe we need a significantly different kind of manual. We think the next generation manual should be:

  • Simpler. There are many areas where the manual could be weeded/de-duped. There are also many things int he manual that could more effectively live in committee connect spaces, mailing list archives or elsewhere.
  • De-centralized. The manual should lean more heavily on technology for updating (perhaps a wiki, or a comment-enabled Wordpress installation) that allows more people to update in areas they have responsibility for and relies less on a complicated chain of people to make changes happen.

We as a committee are prepared to spend the next several months going through the current manual and making a proposal to the board for a structure/skeleton/outline of what the next generation manual should look like. This will proceed asynchronously with the group taking up sections of the manual roughly every other week (as nudged by email by Andrea).
 
We will look at the Bylaws (the first part of the Manual) as a part of this process and will make a proposal for revision that is smaller in scope than the revision project that has been undertaken thus far. Our goal will be to propose revisions to the bylaws that will bring the document into alignment with actual practice but not to propose new structural changes to the organization or its functioning at this time.
 
We defer to LITA staff to make suggestions/decisions about technology or platforms that will make more ready, efficient updating of a manual possible.
 
SECOND, we as a committee believe that there needs to be a group within LITA that is constituted for a longer duration of time to look at organizational change, knowledge transfer, and leadership development. We believe a task force, ad hoc committee or similarly formed kind of group could provide the continuity needed to develop the tools needed to make meaningful change in the way that things are documented and shared among successive leadership groups. We anticipate such a group would be interested in and address the manual and bylaws revisions/process but would also be interested in member leader training, recruitment, and transitions more broadly.

More...

Online Doc ALA Annual 15 - LITA Bylaws & Organization Committee Report

by Andrea Mullarkey (non-member) on Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 06:56 pm

Event Bylaws and Organization Committee

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 07:37 pm

Bylaws and Organization Committee

More information about this conference session

Discussion Bylaws Committee Meeting Agenda - Midwinter 2014

by Jason Griffey on Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 02:44 pm

The agenda for the business meeting of the LITA Bylaws committee can be seen here:

MEETING AGENDA

If you have additions/corrections/changes to the agenda, you can leave them as comments on the Google Doc and I will incorporate.

We will meet at:

Saturday, January 25, 2014
10:30 am to 11:30 am, US/Eastern

Pennsylvania Convention Center

The agenda for the business meeting of the LITA Bylaws committee can be seen here:

MEETING AGENDA

If you have additions/corrections/changes to the agenda, you can leave them as comments on the Google Doc and I will incorporate.

We will meet at:

Saturday, January 25, 2014
10:30 am to 11:30 am, US/Eastern

Pennsylvania Convention Center

113 ABC
 
See you there!

 

 

 

More...

Event Bylaws and Organization Committee

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 07:22 pm

Bylaws and Organization Committee business meeting.

More information about this conference session

Discussion Can Ex Officio Board members be liaisons?

by Jason Griffey on Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Here's a quick analysis question for the group! Take a look at the bylaws re: Board liaisons to committees, specifically the Parliamentarian (Chair of bylaws, ie: me). At the Board Meeting at ALA Annual 2013, when the discussion of liaisons to committees came up, I remarked that, if Cindi were interested, that the bylaws allowed ex officio members of the Board to act as liaisons as well, even though this had not been past practice. 

Here's a quick analysis question for the group! Take a look at the bylaws re: Board liaisons to committees, specifically the Parliamentarian (Chair of bylaws, ie: me). At the Board Meeting at ALA Annual 2013, when the discussion of liaisons to committees came up, I remarked that, if Cindi were interested, that the bylaws allowed ex officio members of the Board to act as liaisons as well, even though this had not been past practice. 

After the fact, there was a question about whether or not that was the case, as someone interpreted the "..shall..." phrase in the description of the Parliamentarian as a limitation on that member's power on the Board, and not as a descriptor or enabling phrase. Thus rendering the role of liaison not available to the Parliamentarian.

SO! Your logical analysis question of the day is: Can the Parliamentarian be a Committee Liaison to the Board? Can other ex officio members of the board be liaisons? 

Show your work.

Jason

More...

Poll Can ex officio members of the Board be committee liaisons per our current bylaws?

by Jason Griffey on Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:42 am
Yes, Ex Officio Board members can be Committee Liaisons
100% (2 votes)
No, Ex Officio Board members may NOT be Committee Liaisons.
0% (0 votes)
Abstain from answering
0% (0 votes)
Total votes: 2

Pages

The Bylaws and Organization Committee maintains the bylaws of the Division and advises the Division Board regarding structural and organizational concerns in the Division....

 

 

Subscribe to LITA Bylaws and Organization Committee