RUSA RSS Education & Professional Development for Reference (Reference Services Section) Committee
1. Collaborate with RSS-MARS to plan, organize, develop and promote a workshop at midwinter in 2013.
Update 10/7/12: Speakers for all topics have been lined-up, along with registration form created.
Update 4/2/13: The workshop went well, and the organizers are working on a procedures document that we can use in the future.
2. Review ALA-accredited programs to determine the extent to which reference skills and concepts are required.
Update 10/7/12: Looking to start this in November 2012.
Update 4/2/13: Still working on a process.
3. Offer one online educational program during the 2012-2013 year.
Update 10/7/12: Discussing marketing reference resources with other related committees.
Update 4/2/13: Waiting to hear back from other committee.
4. Encourage RSS members to consider proposing a new web course to be offered by RUSA.
|Kristen Leigh Mastel||Co-Chair, 2012-2013||1-Jul-11||30-Jun-13||ROTATING OFF 2013||Mid-Term, 2nd|
|Joseph Yue||Co-Chair 2012-2013||1-Jul-11||30-Jun-13||ROTATING OFF 2013||Mid-Term, 2nd|
|Elizabeth H. Park||Member||1-Jul-10||30-Jun-12||ROTATING OFF 2014||Beginning 2nd Term|
|Mr. Shannon George Richie||Member||1-Jul-10||30-Jun-12||ROTATING OFF 2014||Beginning 2nd Term|
|Ms. Rudy Leon||Member||1-Jul-11||30-Jun-13||ROTATING OFF 2013||Beginning 2nd Term|
|Prof. Diana D. Shonrock||Member||1-Jul-12||30-Jun-14||ELIGIBLE FOR REAPPOINTMENT, 2014||Beginning 1st Term|
|Henrietta Thornton||Member||1-Jul-12||30-Jun-14||ELIGIBLE FOR REAPPOINTMENT, 2014||Beginning 1st Term|
|Joseph Rawson||Member||1-Jul-11||30-Jun-12||CONTINGENT UPON REP STATUS||AS REP TO RUSA PROF DEVELOPMENT|
Education and Professional Development for Reference
Work is progressing on coordinating a joint in-person workshop at ALA Midwinter 2013 with the Education and Professional Development for Reference Committee (EPDRC) and MARS Professional Development Committee. The workshop, New Tech for reference: from the reference interview to roving reference, challenges, benefits and best practices, will be held Friday, January 25th, from 1-5pm at the University of Washington Odegaard Library, room 220. Topics include: Twitter, Facebook and social media for reference, ipad/roving reference and Using a Knowledge base like LibAnswers in reference.
Over the next year the EDPRC will be reviewing syllabi from ALA-accredited LIS programs to review what content is covered in reference courses. This will aid in future directions for the committee.
Kristen Mastel & Joseph Yue, co-chairs 2011-2012
Education and Professional Development for Reference Committee
Joint Meeting with MARS Professional Development Committee
(We will NOT be meeting during the RSS Open House)
Sunday, June 24, 2012, 8-10 a.m.
Hilton Anaheim, pacific A Table 8
1) Discuss Joint ALA Midwinter 2013 workshop (Stephanie Alexander, MARS)
New Tech for reference: from the reference interview to roving reference, challenges, benefits and best practices
2) Review and Approve minutes from the Midwinter Virtual Meeting.
3) Statistical Abstracts of the United States – Webinar conversation with Proquest
4) Future Directions
- New Chair Introduction (Joseph Yue)
- Activities Brainstorming (Kristen Mastel)
5) Other Business
Here are a couple goals for EPDRC to accomplish over 2011-12 year:
- Collaborate with RSS-MARS to plan, organize, develop and promote a workshop at midwinter in 2013.
- The group discussed possible topics during the conference call, including the reference interview, What Now after the Statistical Abstracts, etc.
- UPDATE 4/15/12: Have worked with STARS to identify a location and approval from the board on topics.
- Re-evaluate structure, roles and responsibilities.
- Each member volunteered to work on a specific task.
- UPDATE 4/15/12: no update
- Deliver one online based professional development activity for membership (chat, webinar, etc.).
- Topics were brainstormed during the larger midwinter topic discussion, see minutes.
- UPDATE 4/15/12: Have contacted possible partners on a Satistical Abstracts webinar; GODORT will be doing something at the conference next year on this topic. General interest by other parties; still investigating.
The Education and Professional Development for Reference Committee (EPDRC) is working with the MARS Professional Development Committee to create an in-person workshop for ALA Midwinter 2013 for library staff, along with investigating topics for online training to be made available through ALA. The group also publicly archived the Reference New Employee Orientation Bibliography on their ALA Connect site, at: http://connect.ala.org/node/164640 In addition, the group is gathering websites and online resources related to reference training through social bookmarking, available at:http://www.diigo.com/user/rssepdr . Additions to the list are welcomed by e-mailing one of the committee members. We also are investigating the option of partnering with other ALA committees for professional development around the statistical abstracts.