Syndicate content

ACRL EBSS Online Learning Research Committee (Educational and Behavioral Sciences Section) Committee

In: ACRL EBSS (Education & Behavioral Science Section), Academic Libraries, Education
View:   Faces | List
DiscussionsDiscussions
Discussions

Discussion EBSS Online Learning Research Committee initial meeting

by Laura Bonella on Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 03:41 pm

Hello everyone,

The EBSS Online Learning Research Committee will hold our initial meeting of the year on Wednesday, September 2, at 2pm central. Information about connecting via zoom teleconferencing software is below.

Best,

Laura Bonella (chair) 

 

 

Hi there,

 

Laura Bonella is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Hello everyone,

The EBSS Online Learning Research Committee will hold our initial meeting of the year on Wednesday, September 2, at 2pm central. Information about connecting via zoom teleconferencing software is below.

Best,

Laura Bonella (chair) 

 

 

Hi there,

 

Laura Bonella is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: EBSS Online Learning Research Committee Meeting Time: Sep 2, 2015 2:00 PM (GMT-5:00) Central Time (US and Canada)

Join from PC, Mac, iOS or Android: https://ksu.zoom.us/j/987574946

Or join by phone:

+1 415 762 9988 (US Toll) or +1 646 568 7788 (US Toll)

Meeting ID: 987 574 946 

More...

Discussion ALA Annual agenda: PLEASE READ!

by Rebecca Murphey (non-member) on Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 06:00 pm

Through a poll conducted last month, it was determined that none of the current membership would be able to attend the annual meeting.  Therefore, there is no agenda to submit to EBSS, as there will be no OLRC meeting during annual in San Francisco.

 

Best regards,

Missy Murphey w/Rachel Cannady

Co-chairs, Online Learning Research Committee

Discussion 2011 Midwinter Virtual Meeting

by Mona Niedbala (non-member) on Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 02:22 pm


I. We will have our online meeting on December 14th, 2010, at 11:00 a.m. (EST).
The meeting is opened to guests and visitors.

II. We will meet via Elluminate Live!


I. We will have our online meeting on December 14th, 2010, at 11:00 a.m. (EST).
The meeting is opened to guests and visitors.

II. We will meet via Elluminate Live!

If you wish to participate in the meeting, please go to https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?password=M.AC3E710776ADEE0B95CCA8AB49D823&sid=2010008
Our meeting room is "Virtual Office - Prof. Niedbala."
After you click on the link, the system will download a piece of java codes, "meeting.jnlp", to start the meeting.
You will be prompted to enter your name.

III.  Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and introductions

 

2. Approval of  Minutes from Annual 2010 meeting (available on ALA Connect)


3. Discussion of current projects, presentations


4. OLRC Toolkit:


a. Pedagogy and Discussion: Mona, Lisa, Elaine

b. Learning Materials/Objects: Sarah, Katherine, Amy

c. Web Conferencing: Veronica, Josh

d. Course/Content Management Systems: Veronica

e. Bibliography: Sharon, Josh


 5. 2011 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans

6. Other business


More...

Discussion ALA 2010 Annual Conference OLRC Meeting

by Mona Niedbala (non-member) on Mon, May 24, 2010 at 03:21 pm

Date: Saturday, June 26th

Time: 9 to 11 (OLRC); 11 to 12 (EBSS Consolidated Meeting)

Location: JW Marriott - Grand BR I

Date: Saturday, June 26th

Time: 9 to 11 (OLRC); 11 to 12 (EBSS Consolidated Meeting)

Location: JW Marriott - Grand BR I

Meeting Agenda

I. Welcome and Introductions

II. Approval of Minutes from ALA Midwinter Virtual Meeting (December 17, 2009)

III. Update on Committee's Projects

   1. Proposals for ACRL Panel Presentation and ALA Midwinter Current Discussion Topics

   2. OLRC Toolkit Project:

  • Discuss contents, organization, categories, and changes
  • Assign Toolkit section work: Course/Content Management Systems, Learning Materials/Objects, Social Networking/Collaboration, Pedagogy and Discussion, Web Conferencing, Bibliography
  • Timeline to Complete Tasks

   
  3. OLRC article status "Creating Learning Objects for information literacy: An exploration of best practices"

IV. News and Highlights

V. Adjournment

More...

Discussion 2009 Annual Minutes of the EBSS Online Learning Research Committee

by Lori Mestre on Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 01:13 am

 

 

EBSS Online Learning Research Committee Annual 2009 Committee Meeting Minutes

Date:  Saturday, July 11th 10:30-12:00

Committee Name:  Online Learning Research Committee

Hyatt Regency McCormick (HRM) Conf. Ctr 12 A-C

Name of Person Submitting Minutes:  Lori Mestre

 

Members Present: 

Lisa Baures, Beth Broyles, Corinne Bishop, Lori Mestre, Mona Niedbala, Alice Perez, Kate Silfen

 

Members Excused:  Cindy Judd, Sarah Cantrell, Johan Oberg

Visitor (incoming member) Sharon Naylor

 

Discussion Topics:

 

  • Members introduced themselves.
  • Minutes from midwinter 2009 were approved.
  • Discussion of midwinter and virtual meetings. Lori informed the group that starting this year EBSS committees can decide if they want to meet at midwinter or have at least one virtual meeting in lieu of meeting and briefly explained the requirements for doing so (per ACRL). The group agreed that having a couple of virtual meetings throughout the year (perhaps quarterly) would be more beneficial to the work of the committee. Mona (as incoming chair) will coordinate those meetings. We discussed possibilities for conducting the virtual meetings including using Adobe Presenter (Lisa), and Eluminate (Lori and Sharon).
  • Mona summarized the proposal she submitted for the 2010 ALA midwinter discussion. In addition to Mona Niedbala, Veronica Bielat (incoming member), Lisa Baures and Lori Mestre have agreed to assist if accepted.
  • Toolkit update:

a.       Lori reviewed the state of the Toolkit and the group agreed to work to move it to the EBSS wiki to help with the maintenance and updating.  Lori will work with Mona to submit the appropriate forms to EBSS publishing and also with Jessica Albano and Jill Woolums (web managers) to create a space on the EBSS wiki for us. 

b.      Mona will coordinate with members of this committee to then take responsibility for one portion of the wiki to update.  This will need to be an ongoing task of this committee.

c.       There was an initial conversation about additions to the wiki.  Lori agreed to do the following:

  • make sure that there is a category for assessment (which may be under Pedagogy).
  • Create a New Tools section. Periodically the person responsible for that section would then send out a notice to the EBSS list alerting them to check the wiki to see the new additions.
  • find out from Jessica/Jill if we can have a feedback form on the wiki for folks to suggest additions/corrections.
  • Overall, the group agreed that one of the values of the toolkit will be to find practical applications (best tools, how to use them and assessments. Once the content has been converted to the EBSS WIKi members can search out examples of projects others have done (such as in MERLOT, or in other learning object repositories). Other discussion about the content of the wiki will occur after the migration.
  • Survey Article

a.       We reviewed the sections people have done and areas yet to be completed.  Additionally, Sharon (new to the project) will work on the section in the literature review that details the importance of librarians using learning objects for instruction/course management (perhaps including the state of where we are and what's happening). Although three of the authors will be rotating off the committee (Alice, Kate and Corinne) they agreed to continue working on their sections (and Alice agreed to contribute to the Discussion section).  Lori will go through the article (in track changes) with some feedback. 

b.      Due to the difficulty of working with this draft in ALA Connect, Lori will migrate the article to Google Docs for us to work on.

c.       Lori will prepare the forms for EBSS publishing to alert them to this article and get their assistance.  Beth will find out the contact person for us.

  • Future projects were briefly discussed, such as extending the Toolkit to include lesson plans and strategies for online learning. There was also interest in pursuing a focus on learning outcomes for online learning (type of learning outcome-and whether using learning objects improved the learning outcomes). Mona even suggested that each person could prepare a chapter of a book... Lori shared the possibility of this committee becoming involved with an Action Plan to be proposed by Lori and Stephanie (incoming vice chair of EBSS). This action plan would be to create guidance/tip sheets/examples of doing a virtual meeting (including tools to use). Since so much of the work of this committee relates to online learning-we could be tapped to contribute.

 

 

Action Items

1.       Lori will make changes to the wiki to incorporate changes suggested.  She will contact the EBSS web managers to create a space on the EBSS Wiki.  She will work with Mona to prepare the necessary forms to go to EBSS publications.

2.      Beth will get the contact person for us for publications.

3.      Lori will move the survey article draft to google docs, make suggestions and send back to group.  Target deadline to complete survey edits is August 30.   Lori will also fill out the publication forms to send to EBSS publishing.

4.      Mona will be responsible for coordinating at least one virtual meeting this fall.

5.      Mona will take over responsibility of efforts on the toolkit, although Lori will work with the transition of it from the web page to the EBSS wiki.

 

More...

Discussion 2009 (2010) Midwinter Virtual Meeting OLRC

by Lori Mestre on Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 01:12 am

The EBSS Online Learning Research Committee will be holding its virtual meeting on Thursday, December 17th at 11:00 central time.  We will be using Dim Dim as our platform.   Instructions for using Dim Dim are attached.

The Agenda is:

1. Introductions
2. Approval of Minutes from Annual 2009
3. Additions to the Agenda
4. Discussion of the Learning Objects Toolkit: contents and maintenance
5. Virtual Meeting Wiki Project (with IS)-- part of EBSS Action Plan

The EBSS Online Learning Research Committee will be holding its virtual meeting on Thursday, December 17th at 11:00 central time.  We will be using Dim Dim as our platform.   Instructions for using Dim Dim are attached.

The Agenda is:

1. Introductions
2. Approval of Minutes from Annual 2009
3. Additions to the Agenda
4. Discussion of the Learning Objects Toolkit: contents and maintenance
5. Virtual Meeting Wiki Project (with IS)-- part of EBSS Action Plan

Announcements/Future Projects
1. ALA 2010 Annual presentation proposal
2. ACRL 2011 presentation proposal? (deadline May 2010)
3. ALA 2010 Midwinter virtual presentation update (a few of us will be presenting virtually)

More...

To provide a forum for librarians working with faculty to integrate library resources into courses; to discuss current and future trends and considerations in online learning; to sponsor programs or discussions that highlight effective library/faculty practices in online learning....

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Draft OLRC Toolkit page is at:  http://wikis.ala.org/acrl/index.php/Online_Learning_Toolkit

[previous wiki with content that is still being transferred is at: http://olrc.pbworks.com/]

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE TO GROUP
Please click on the Post below to get to the survey article outline. You can add content to your section by hitting edit (please put your initial next to info you input

Subscribe to ACRL EBSS Online Learning Research Committee (Educational and Behavioral Sciences Section)