Syndicate content

ACRL EBSS Online Learning Research Committee (Educational and Behavioral Sciences Section) Committee

In: ACRL EBSS (Education & Behavioral Science Section), Academic Libraries, Education
View:   Faces | List
DiscussionsDiscussions
Discussions

Online Doc 2011 ALA ORLC Meeting Minutes

by Lisa Baures on Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 03:42 pm

ALA/EBSS Online Learning Research Committee Meeting

 

Date: June 25, 2011

Name of person submitting minutes: Mona Anne Niedbala

Members present: Lisa Baures, Veronica Bielat, Joshua Becker, Elaine Thornton, Mona Anne Niedbala

Members excused: Sharon Naylor, Katherine Dabbour (virtual member)

ALA/EBSS Online Learning Research Committee Meeting

 

Date: June 25, 2011

Name of person submitting minutes: Mona Anne Niedbala

Members present: Lisa Baures, Veronica Bielat, Joshua Becker, Elaine Thornton, Mona Anne Niedbala

Members excused: Sharon Naylor, Katherine Dabbour (virtual member)

Members absent: Amy Thornley, Travis Bonnett

Guests: Susan Wortman, Marilyn Nabua Ochoa

 

Agenda Items:

 

  • Welcome and Introductions: Mona welcomed members
  • Minutes from ALA midwinter 2011 were approved
  • Members discussed about current projects, recent accomplishments, presentations, and publications
  • OLRC Toolkit: Mona reorganized the “Learning Theories” section. Lisa suggested that the “Learning Theories” section should have two categories: theoretical and applied. Marilyn agreed and suggested to separate the content in two sections and label them for easy access. Lisa suggested creating links for cross-referencing. Mona suggested that the bibliography cover the content in all sections. Veronica will send citations to Josh; the “Bibliography” should contain two types of resources, subscription and free resources. Mona suggested the selection of a committee member for maintaining the Toolkit. Lisa proposed to move the Toolkit to Google Sites and have a backup. Google Sites will host the working documents and EBSS Wiki will be the publishing place.

It was decided that by the end of July the new committee members would select their Toolkit sections.

Veronica will find information about a tool that can be used to record changes made on the Toolkit page.

It was decided to make the “Online Discussion” a separate section of the Toolkit.

Members discussed about future projects: a committee presentation on the applications of the OLRC Toolkit and a how-to-do virtual book based on the Toolkit containing lesson plans, instructional design of learning objects, interactive elements, learning exercises, and rubrics. Lisa suggested that the main sections of the book should be pedagogy, how to implement it, and tools for delivering instruction.

 

Action items:

 

  • Designate a coordinator/coordinators who would maintain the toolkit

 

  • Talk with former and current members who want to maintain the content on individual pages of the Toolkit

 

  • Restructure Pedagogy and Online Conferencing sections of the Toolkit: separate the theoretical part from the practical part for the Pedagogy, Discussion, and Online Conferencing sections

 

  • New members will submit proposal for revisions until the end of July

 

  • Create another category for Online Discussion, remove it from the Pedagogy section, and have the link crossed-referenced to the Pedagogy section; in the Pedagogy section, have it crossed-referenced to the Online Discussion

 

  • Investigate the possibility of creating a presentation or current topic discussion on the applications of the Toolkit and on writing and publishing an interactive multimedia virtual book

 

Adjournment:

The meeting adjourned at 11:45 a.m.

More...

Online Doc ALA 2011 Annual Conference OLRC Meeting Agenda

by Mona Niedbala (non-member) on Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:06 am

Date: June 25th, 2011

Time: 9 a.m. - 11 a.m.

Location: MAR-Mardi Gras D (New Orleans Marriott, 555 Canal Street)

Meeting Agenda 

 
1. Welcome and introductions

Date: June 25th, 2011

Time: 9 a.m. - 11 a.m.

Location: MAR-Mardi Gras D (New Orleans Marriott, 555 Canal Street)

Meeting Agenda 

 
1. Welcome and introductions

2. Approval of  Minutes from ALA Midwinter meeting (available on ALA Connect)

3. Discussion of current projects, presentations, publications

4. OLRC Toolkit:

a. Pedagogy and Discussion: Mona, Lisa, Elaine

b. Learning Materials/Objects: Katherine, Amy

c. Web Conferencing: Veronica, Josh

d. Course/Content Management Systems: Veronica

e. Bibliography: Sharon, Josh

5. Publishing the OLRC Toolkit and future work

6. Other business

 

 

More...

Online Doc 2011 ALA Midwinter OLRC Minutes

by Mona Niedbala (non-member) on Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:01 am

Online Learning Research Committee

2011 ALA Midwinter

Meeting Minutes

 

Present: Mona Anne Niedbala, Lisa Baures, Joshua Becker, Veronica Bielat, Sharon Naylor, Elaine Thornton, Kathy Dabbour, Laura Gladding (guest)

Absent: Travis Bonnett, Amy Thornley, Sarah Cantrell

I.     Welcome and introductions

 Mona welcomed the committee’s members and participants introduced themselves.

Online Learning Research Committee

2011 ALA Midwinter

Meeting Minutes

 

Present: Mona Anne Niedbala, Lisa Baures, Joshua Becker, Veronica Bielat, Sharon Naylor, Elaine Thornton, Kathy Dabbour, Laura Gladding (guest)

Absent: Travis Bonnett, Amy Thornley, Sarah Cantrell

I.     Welcome and introductions

 Mona welcomed the committee’s members and participants introduced themselves.

 II.  Approval of 2010 ALA Annual Meeting minutes

 2010 ALA Annual Meeting minutes were approved. There were no corrections.

III. New projects and presentations

Mona talked about the ALA Midwinter online Current Topic Discussion that she and Lisa would moderate on January 21st, 2011, at 11 a.m. (ET).  Mona showed the webpage with information about the discussion at http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/acrl/about/sections/ebss/ebssconferenceinfo/EBSSVirtualMidwinter2011.cfm. Lisa invited other committee members to participate.

IV.  OLRC Toolkit Project

 1. Pedagogy and Discussion (Mona, Lisa, Elaine)

  • Mona talked about reorganizing the information in the “Learning Theories” subsection and having the definition of the learning theory, names of psychologists, and links to psychologists’ websites and to models of using the learning theory for online teaching and learning. Lisa suggested that Mona consult the ACRL ‘s Best Practices for Online Learning and Teaching document.
  • Mona also talked about adding content, “Ten Best Practices for Teaching Online”, to the “Best Practices” subsection.
  • Lisa described the content of the Glossary and the instructional design models that she added to the “Instruction Models/Designs” subsection. The committee decided to create a separate page for the Glossary and that access to the Glossary should be available on each page of the Toolkit. Lisa invited the other members of the committee to submit additional suggestions and ideas for the subsection.
  • Because the meeting ran longer than it was planned, Elaine did not have a chance to talk about the “Facilitating Online Discussions” subsection.

2. Learning Materials/Objects

  • Kathy talked about reorganizing the work on the section with Amy as Sarah withdrew from the committee. The committee decided to separate the quizzes from the surveys. There were discussions about the definition of learning objects. Mona will email everybody the link to the OLRC article with the definition that was used by the committee to conduct the survey, conduct research, and write the article. There were also discussions about including individual institutional links. The problem was that many of them require a password for access. The committee decided, 6 to 1, to only include open access learning objects resources. The committee also decided to focus the number of resources to a selective list of maximum six items. There were discussions about including the Web Authoring section in the Toolkit. The committee voted to only include free web authoring tools.

3.  Web Conferencing

  • Veronica talked about working on the section with Josh. The committee decided to only include open access web conferencing software resources in the “Web Conferencing” subsection.

4. Course/Content Management Systems

  • Veronica talked about Blackboard buying products and about the need to reorganize the information in the section. The committee decided to only include examples of librarian use of course management systems projects in this section.

5. Bibliography

  • Sharon and Josh talked about having this section ready before the holidays. Sharon talked about the overwhelming amount of information in this section and it was decided to be highly selective in regard to the number of resources included in each subsection of the “Bibliography.” The committee decided to reorganize the “Bibliography” to include general online learning resources and subject-specific resources based on the Toolkit sections.

Action Items:

  • The deadline for the second draft of the OLRC Toolkit to be March 31, 2011.
  • Mona will email all the committee members the link to the OLRC article which will be published in March 2011 in the College & Research Libraries.

 

The meeting adjourned at 12:50 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Mona Anne Niedbala

OLRC Chair

 

 

 

More...

Online Doc ALA 2010 Annual Conference OLRC Meeting Minutes

by Mona Niedbala (non-member) on Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 09:01 am

EBSS OLRC Meeting

ALA Annual Conference

June 26, 2010

Date: Saturday, June 26th, 2010; 9:00 a.m.

Location: JW Marriott Capitol E

 

Name of person submitting minutes: Mona Anne Niedbala

 Members present: Lisa Baures, Veronica Bielat, Sharon Naylor, Sarah Cantrell, Lori Mestre, Beth Broyles, Mona Anne Niedbala

 Members absent: Travis James Bonnett, Jim Blansett, Katherine Strober Dabbour (virtual member)

EBSS OLRC Meeting

ALA Annual Conference

June 26, 2010

Date: Saturday, June 26th, 2010; 9:00 a.m.

Location: JW Marriott Capitol E

 

Name of person submitting minutes: Mona Anne Niedbala

 Members present: Lisa Baures, Veronica Bielat, Sharon Naylor, Sarah Cantrell, Lori Mestre, Beth Broyles, Mona Anne Niedbala

 Members absent: Travis James Bonnett, Jim Blansett, Katherine Strober Dabbour (virtual member)

 Agenda Items:

  • Welcome and Introductions: Mona welcomed members
  • Minutes from ALA Midwinter 2010 were approved
  • Members decided to have a virtual meeting for ALA Midwinter 2011
  • Update on OLRC projects:
  1. Mona and Lisa submitted a panel presentation proposal, “What Works? Sharing Best Practices for Teaching Information Literacy Online”, at ACRL National Conference 2011, based on our committee’s ACRL/IS Current Issue Discussion Group virtual discussion in January. Our committee has another presentation opportunity for a Virtual Conference Webcast at ACRL Annual Conference 2011. The application deadline is November 1st, 2010. Mona will email the information to the members of the committee.
  2. Mona and Veronica submitted a proposal, “Evidence-based Instructional Design and Information Literacy Assessment for Improving Student Achievement”, for a Current Topics Discussion at ALA Midwinter ACRL/IS Current Issue Discussion Groups.
  3. OLRC Toolkit: Lori moderated the discussion about the Toolkit. The Toolkit needs to be moved back to a wiki for editing capabilities. Lori created a tip sheet for editing. We need to assign Toolkit section work and establish deadlines for completing the conversion and the first update. Sarah suggested creating checklists for evaluating Toolkit resources. Lisa suggested that descriptions include information about the version of the product. The Toolkit categories need to be revised. The web conferencing and the pedagogy sections need to be expanded to include links and subsections, respectively.

Assigning Toolkit section work:

  • Course/Content Management section: will be simplified to include a product list, information about free and proprietary products, and links to specific websites. Veronica will convert the information to the ALA Connect Wiki and maintain it.
  • Learning Materials/Objects: Lori and Sarah will convert and maintain the section.
  • Social Networking will be eliminated and become a category of the Learning Objects section. Sharon will incorporate specific information about the social networking in the Bibliography.
  • Pedagogy and Discussion: Mona and Lisa will convert the information and manage the section.
  • Web Conferencing: Veronica will convert and update this section.
  • Bibliography: Sharon will convert and maintain this section.
  • Toolkit section order: Pedagogy and Discussion, Learning Materials/Objects, Web Conferencing, Course/Content Management Systems, and Bibliography

Toolkit work deadlines: August 15th for converting the Toolkit from the website to ALA Connect Wiki; November 1st for a first full update.

  1. OLRC “Creating Learning Objects for Information Literacy: An exploration of best practices” article: The article was accepted for publication by College & Research Libraries with revisions. The deadline for revisions is July 9th. Lori will revise it first and send it to the rest of the authors. Lisa suggested that we send out the survey again in the future and compare the results.
  • News and Highlights: Veronica, Lisa, Lori and Mona talked about presentations and projects that they are currently working on.
  • Action Items:
  1. Mona will revamp the OLRC ALA Connect page and will provide links to past discussion presentations.
  2. Mona will work on using keywords that would allow better archival/search of resources.
  3. Mona will create two email accounts for the Toolkit, one for content suggestions and one for questions.
  4. Members of the committee will finish the Toolkit resources transfer from the website to ALA Connect Wiki by August 15th, 2010.
  5. Members of the committee will finish the first complete update by November 1st.

 

Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 11:40 a.m.

More...

Online Doc ALA 2010 Annual Conference OLRC Meeting Agenda

by Mona Niedbala (non-member) on Mon, May 24, 2010 at 03:19 pm

Date: Saturday, June 26th

Time: 9 to 11 (OLRC); 11 to 12 (EBSS Consolidated Meeting)

Location: JW Marriott - Grand BR I

Date: Saturday, June 26th

Time: 9 to 11 (OLRC); 11 to 12 (EBSS Consolidated Meeting)

Location: JW Marriott - Grand BR I

Meeting Agenda

I. Welcome and Introductions

II. Approval of Minutes from ALA Midwinter Virtual Meeting (December 17, 2009)

III. Update on Committee's Projects

   1. Proposals for ACRL Panel Presentation and ALA Midwinter Current Discussion Topics

   2. OLRC Toolkit Project:

  • Discuss contents, organization, categories, and changes
  • Assign Toolkit section work: Course/Content Management Systems, Learning Materials/Objects, Social Networking/Collaboration, Pedagogy and Discussion, Web Conferencing, Bibliography
  • Timeline to Complete Tasks

   
  3. OLRC article status "Creating Learning Objects for information literacy: An exploration of best practices"

IV. News and Highlights

V. Adjournment

More...

Online Doc Meeting Minutes ALA midwinter 09

by EBSS Admin (non-member) on Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 01:10 am

ALA /EBSS Committee Meeting Minutes

 

Date: January 24, 2009

Committee Name: Online Learning Research Committee

Name of person submitting Minutes:  Lori Mestre

Members Present:  Lisa Baures, Corinne Bishop, Beth Broyles, Lori Mestre, Mona Anne Niedbala, Alice Perez

Members Excused:  Jim Blansett, Sarah Cantrell, Cindy Judd,  Johan Oberg

Minutes

ALA /EBSS Committee Meeting Minutes

 

Date: January 24, 2009

Committee Name: Online Learning Research Committee

Name of person submitting Minutes:  Lori Mestre

Members Present:  Lisa Baures, Corinne Bishop, Beth Broyles, Lori Mestre, Mona Anne Niedbala, Alice Perez

Members Excused:  Jim Blansett, Sarah Cantrell, Cindy Judd,  Johan Oberg

Minutes

Date: Saturday January 24th 10:30-12:00
Location:  Hyatt Regency Denver    [Centennial F/G] -- convened by Lori Mestre, Chair

 

Agenda Item Minutes: [use your meeting agenda to outline discussion/activities]

Agenda:

  • Introductions were made
  • Minutes from Annual 2008 were approved
  • Toolkit Update and Discussion of Next Phase
    • Most members had completed their section of the Toolkit wiki (contributions). 
    • Lori converted most of the wiki to web pages for formatting and other features available
    • The group looked at the organization of the categories for the website and discussed alternate headings.  We decided that the scope of the site is to answer the questions:  What do we manage online (course management systems)? And how do we do it (tools)?  The third area we wanted to cover was networking and collaboration tools.
    • The new headings will be: Course/Content Management; Pedagogy/Design; Networking/Collaboration; Learning Materials/Objects and Bibliography.
    • Lori will reorganize the site putting the headings on top (tabs).  She will also provide subcategories agreed to within each page
    • Lisa will send various evaluation rubrics she has access to (possibly the MERLOT rubric).
    • Once the site is redesigned Lori will send it back around for further comment.
  • Survey Results and Discussion of Writing an Article for Publication
    • The survey was disseminated to several listservs with 92 submissions
    • Lori compiled the responses and provided a handout of the responses.
    • All members agreed to look at the information and pull out interesting information and surprises (especially from the section of "what they want to know"0.
    • Alice will collate the open ended response into categories (Lori will send the original to her)
    • The group will draft an article based on the best practices on creating learning objects. 
  • Timeline to Complete Tasks
    • The goal for revisions for the Toolkit web site is April 30th
    • The goal for the survey analysis is March 30th and discussion to then take place for the article
  • Communication Mechanisms for the Committee
    • The group will communicate via e-mail during the revision part of the work
    • Lori will look into ALA connect for some of our work and will investigate using web (or phone) conferencing options so we can all connect together in May to discuss next steps.
  • News to Share:  Lori, Corinne and Mona will be facilitating an Current Topic Discussion in the afternoon on "Facilitating Discussions as an Online Instructor".  They are also waiting to hear if their Roundtable proposal for ACRL on the same topic has been accepted.

 

Adjournment  12:00

 

More...

Online Doc EBSS Online Learning Research Committee Midwinter 2010Minutes

by EBSS Admin (non-member) on Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 01:10 am

ALA Midwinter 2010 – Virtual Meeting

Online Learning Research Committee

Date: Thursday, Dec. 17 11:00 central standard time
Location:  Via Dim Dim platform

ALA Midwinter 2010 – Virtual Meeting

Online Learning Research Committee

Date: Thursday, Dec. 17 11:00 central standard time
Location:  Via Dim Dim platform

 Name of person submitting Minutes:  Lori Mestre

 

 Members Present: Lisa Baures Veronica Bielat, Jim Blansett, Beth Broyles, Sarah Cantrell, Lori Mestre,  Sharon Naylor

Members Excused:  Travis Bonnet, Kathy Dabbaur, Mona Niedbala

Guests:  Merrie Davidson, Darlene Nichols, Corinne Bishop

 

Agenda Items:

  • Introductions- Lori  welcomed members and guests and provided a brief introduction of the Dim Dim platform.
  • Minutes from Annual 2009 were approved.
  • IS Current Topic Discussion Update.  Lisa Baures, Veronica Bielet, Lori Mestre and Mona Niedbala (OLRC members) will be facilitating an online discussion via Adobe Connect Pro on January 29th at 2:00 E.T.  They had submitted a proposal that was accepted by the Instruction Section.  They will be the first to conduct an online current topic discussion.  The topic is: What works? Sharing best online practices for teaching information literacy.   Lori also reminded the group that this will be the third discussion facilitation by members of this committee (which is only 2 ½ years old).  Corinne Bishop, Mona Niedbala and Lori Mestre facilitated one at Midwinter 2009; Mona and Lori facilitated one at ACRL last year. Mona had submitted a proposal for another at annual 2010, but it was not approved.
  • Article Submitted:  Lori informed the group that the article that several members of this committee submitted entitled: “Creating Learning Objects for Information Literacy: 
    An Exploration in Best Practices” was just returned from EBSS Publications Committee with their recommendations for edits.  The co-authors will revise and resubmit.  If the EBSS Publications Ctte feels it is of a caliber to be sent to ACRL they will do so.  ACRL has the first “right of refusal” for publications submitted by any of its committees.  If, after review, they do not want to publish it—then the co-authors can seek outside publication. 

 

  • Discussion of the Learning Objects Toolkit: contents and maintenance http://www.library.illinois.edu/diglit/coop/olrc/index.html
    • Lori provided the background of the project, including the initial work that was done in a wiki and then transferred to a web page.  The group discussed moving the web page to the EBSS wiki for ease in access, maintenance and updating. They agreed this would be optimal.  Lori will work with Mona (current chair) to submit the form to EBSS publishing.  The actual migration might not begin until annual. Lori asked if there was a concern for having the wiki open to viewing if only parts of it were complete.  The group said that as long as there was a note indicating that it is not yet complete (with perhaps the link to the web page) it should be fine.   Lori also provided a link to a libguide that she did based on OLRC work.  This group could work from that page as well.  The url is: http://uiuc.libguides.com/learningobjects.
    • The group discussed procedures for updating the wiki and decided that assignments would be made at each midwinter meeting.  Each OLRC member would receive a section to update with changes to be complete by annual each year.  Also, Lori will check to see if ACRL has a link resolver which will facilitate the process.
    • It was suggested that there be separate categories for open source/freeware and those that cost money—perhaps using $$ as a symbol for those items. 
    • We also need to develop a list of standards for our entries, such as format, font size, and criteria to apply.  It would also be good to include links to reviews and also have comments enabled on the wiki so that those using the wiki could also add their links, suggestions about the products.—Lori will follow up with Jessica (EBSS web manager) regarding this.
    • There was a desire to promote the toolkit.  Lori mentioned that Mona had ideas about that as well and had submitted a proposal for annual 2010, which was not accepted.  Other suggestions to promote the wiki include the EBSS newsletter, ALA connect, Educause, State Library Association pages, Merlot, and other repositories.
  • Virtual Meeting Wiki Project (with IS)-- part of EBSS Action Plan.  Stefanie Davis-Kohl (current vice chair of EBSS)and Lori Mestre (current chair of EBSS) submitted two Action Plan Proposals to ACRL last summer.  One for creating podcasts was funded and the other was approved to proceed (without funding) with the Instruction Section collaboration.  That proposal was entitled “Meeting Virtually: How to Conduct and Moderate an Effective Virtual Meeting”.  Lori mentioned that this would be something that the OLRC could work on since we already had a lot of information on our Toolkit page.  We would need to develop the  Pedagogy and Discussion pages at: http://www.library.illinois.edu/diglit/coop/olrc/pedagogy/index.html and  Web conferencing page at: http://www.library.illinois.edu/diglit/coop/olrc/networking/conferencing.html or http://uiuc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=64638&sid=512743  and create/links to tutorials etc.   Although the work was not to begin until after annual 2010, Lori was asked by ACRL to expedite the work due to the immediate need of this information.  She has several other tools/resources developed by others (including ACRL) that she can include.  Veronica sent a tipsheet from her work with LIRT-TLT that discussed the effective use of virtual meetings and virtual meeting software (Elluminate).  Lori will begin the process of updating the information and then communicate with Mona (the current chair) and the committee about further efforts this semester related to this project.
  • The group also discussed exploring google wave and sent around invitations.
  • Action Items:
    • Lori will work with Mona to complete the necessary forms to move the Toolkit webpage to the EBSS wiki, including the need to be able to have the comment feature available.
    • Committee members will gather web conferencing tools/reviews/tutorials etc. that we can include in the WIKI to be developed
    • Committee members will also send suggestions/examples of lists of criteria to apply to web pages/wikis—such as those developed for communication studies/instruction.

Adjournment: 12:00 central standard time.

More...

To provide a forum for librarians working with faculty to integrate library resources into courses; to discuss current and future trends and considerations in online learning; to sponsor programs or discussions that highlight effective library/faculty practices in online learning....

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Draft OLRC Toolkit page is at:  http://wikis.ala.org/acrl/index.php/Online_Learning_Toolkit

[previous wiki with content that is still being transferred is at: http://olrc.pbworks.com/]

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE TO GROUP
Please click on the Post below to get to the survey article outline. You can add content to your section by hitting edit (please put your initial next to info you input

Subscribe to ACRL EBSS Online Learning Research Committee (Educational and Behavioral Sciences Section)