RUSA Executive Committee (Reference and User Services Association) Committee
The attached is a copy of the RUSA bylaws with the sections for review marked with the name of the reviewer (from the Fall Leadership meeting). Could you all please review your sections of the bylaws and post any suggested comments or changes as comments to this post. Gary, for the sections on the Board and the RUSA Sections, we talked about asking the board members or section leadership to also look at these and send comments, so if you would contact them. I will make this a public document so that anyone can read and comment. Let's see if we can get this done by the end of January so that if there are any changes that we want to make we can start the process of getting them made. Thanks!
Reference and User Services Association
The Reference and User Services Association is responsible for stimulating and supporting excellence in the delivery of general library services and materials to adults, and the provision of reference and information services, collection development, readers’ advisory, and resource sharing for all ages, in every type of library.
RUSA is the foremost organization of reference and information professionals who make the connections between people and the information sources, services, and collection materials they need.
- We believe in universal access to information.
- We believe that reading is fundamental to quality of life and value all activities that promote it.
- We value collections and information sources of the highest possible quality.
- We value the provision of innovative services and programs that meet the changing information needs of diverse populations.
- We value continuous evaluation and improvement in the management and delivery of materials and services to users.
- We value the professional growth and development of librarians and library staff.
- We value the role of librarians and library staff as educators in creating lifelong learners and critical thinkers.
- We value the unique contributions that librarians and library staff bring to the process of connecting users with the information they need.
- We value the diversity of our members' ideas, experiences and backgrounds.
Objectives and Strategies:
Objective 1: Provide leadership and opportunities in professional development in all RUSA areas of concern.
- Create STARS Web CE class. (STARS, Professional Development committee, and RUSA staff to lead)
- Encourage development of 2 additional online CE classes. (Professional Development Committee, Sections, and RUSA staff to lead)
- Create an ad hoc RUSA committee to identify needs and develop a curriculum for leadership development. (Board president)
- Create ad hoc task force to investigate from a cost benefit perspective potential RUSA face-to-face conferences vs. webinar/webcasts. (Executive Committee, Taskforce and RUSA board to lead)
Objective 2: Seek ways to improve member engagement within RUSA.
- Establish a task force to continue the work of the RUSA E-participation task force toward implementation of the recommendations that were accepted at the annual 2010 board meeting. (RUSA board, RUSA sections, task force, and RUSA staff to lead)
- Initiate and provide structure for a series of online chats on hot topics this fiscal year. (participation by the Sections will be encouraged; RUSA webmaster and RUSA board to lead,)
- Implement virtual participation in RUSA Town Hall meeting at 2011 Midwinter conference meeting; consider implementing virtual participation for the Town Hall meeting at the 2011 Annual Conference board meeting. (RUSA staff to lead)
Objective 3: Insure organizational excellence by improving the effectiveness of RUSA in meeting its and ALA’s mission
- Trim Board meetings and move work either online or over the phone; this fiscal year, initiate quarterly online meetings. (Board to lead)
- Examine Five-Year Review process (Organization and Planning committee to lead)
- Survey membership to determine member needs with a goal to make RUSA membership highly valued. (RUSA Staff develops membership survey in consultation with RUSA leaders)
- Each unit of RUSA will insure that their strategic planning process is in alignment with RUSA and ALA strategic plan. (RUSA Units (i.e. committees, sections, board, etc.) to lead)
- Use ALA Connect to improve communication specifically in regard to committee and section reports and documents requiring board action. (RUSA board, Committee and Section chairs)
- Develop an operational plan that helps direct daily business for each RUSA unit and staff. (RUSA staff, RUSA executive committee to lead)
Objective 4: Increase the visibility of RUSA in the profession.
- Increase visibility of Midwinter book and media announcements as a RUSA-wide event; collaborate with ALA. (Awards Committees, RUSA staff to lead)
- Continue improvements of the RUSA website to make it a current and valuable resource for members and the profession. (RUSA Units, RUSA staff to lead)
- Create RUSA statement on Access. (Access to Information Committee to lead, RUSA Councilor to consult)
- Continue work on the clearinghouse to put forward the expertise of RUSA and help our members and the profession with issues of interest in the profession and related fields. (Communications and Publications committee and its Section liaisons to lead)
- Promote the professional skills and services RUSA members offer by investigating the creation of a “Just Ask” campaign task force.