RUSA HS Executive Committee (History Section) Committee

Closed group
In: RUSA HS (History Section), Reference & User Services Association (RUSA) -- Governance
8 members  |  About this group  |   Syndicate content
View:   Faces | List

Online Doc Draft Minutes - RUSA History Section Executive Committee Midwinter Meeting #2 - Monday, 01/27/2014

by Mary Bogan on Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:14 am

Rusa-History Executive  Committee Meeting #2 – Draft Minutes
Monday, January 27, 2014, 8:30 – 10 am
ALA Mid-Winter, Philadelphia

Present:  Shelley Arlen, Michelle Baildon (Chair), Mary E. Bogan,  Nancy A. Bunker, Bill Forsyth, Helen Gbala,  Mike Hall, Helene Lafrance (Recorder), Sara Morris, Jenny Presnell,  Christina Thompson, Chella Vaidyanathan

 

(1) Report on RUSA Board of Directors (Michelle Baildon)

Michelle gave a brief report of the brainstorming/discussion at the Board of Directors meeting.

Rusa-History Executive  Committee Meeting #2 – Draft Minutes
Monday, January 27, 2014, 8:30 – 10 am
ALA Mid-Winter, Philadelphia

Present:  Shelley Arlen, Michelle Baildon (Chair), Mary E. Bogan,  Nancy A. Bunker, Bill Forsyth, Helen Gbala,  Mike Hall, Helene Lafrance (Recorder), Sara Morris, Jenny Presnell,  Christina Thompson, Chella Vaidyanathan

 

(1) Report on RUSA Board of Directors (Michelle Baildon)

Michelle gave a brief report of the brainstorming/discussion at the Board of Directors meeting.

(2)  Reports from History Section Committees and Discussion Groups

  • ABC-CLIO Online History Award Committee:  Joshua Lupkin (Chair), not present, but he reported to the Executive Committee during the 01/24 virtual meeting.  He is frustrated and wants to discuss the criteria for the award with ABC-CLIO.  In recent years, innovative projects had to be rejected because of arcane rules.
  • Communications Committee:
     Makiba Foster and Laura Hibbler, not present. See minutes of 01/24 virtual meeting for an update.
  • Genealogical Publishing Company Award Committee (Helen Gbala).  Decision for the award is this year.  The definition of who is eligible is different in various places. Not clear if it has to be a librarian.  This should be clarified.  Joe Burckey from GPC will be involved in the committee.  Agnes will follow up.
  • Genealogy and Local History Discussion Group:  Curt Witcher (Chair) not present.  Midwinter discussion went well; 3 people presented followed by a low key discussion.  Good turnout, about 40 people.
  • Genealogy Committee:  Mike Hall (Chair) reported that they met earlier after Annual to talk about changing the guidelines.  Not much progress so far, but they will resume work. Guidelines are due by Annual. Mike also attends IFLA and he recently became chair of their Genealogy Committee. He is now the ALA Genealogy liaison to IFLA.  In 2016, IFLA will be in the U.S. (SF, Boston, or DC).  This year, it’s in South Africa.
  • Genealogy Preconference Planning: 
    • Melinde not present, but Bill reported on the program.  They had 83 registrations and ended up with 73 people attending.  They were pleased with the turnout, but the room was a little challenging.  A survey was distributed to attendees (17 responses):  36% learned of event from listserv, 24% from ALA registration; 48% would have used credit if available.
    • The group wanted to get back in ALA fold, but RUSA has funding requirements.  They did not get enough registrants through ALA and event was cancelled.  They then decided to go back to doing it independently.  Everything fell on their shoulders (marketing, etc.).  They realized that many registrants are postponing decision to attend until after the holidays.
    • They are concerned about attendance in Las Vegas (attendance always better on East Coast) and are looking at the possibility of going partly virtual. They were told that all ALA hotels were already booked for meetings and they will have to go far.
    • Next week (February 5-6)  is the Roots Tech conference in Salt Lake City.   Mike is organizing a preconference with virtual speakers from all over the world through SKYPE  (half the speakers will be virtual).  They will see what is successful and hope to learn from that experience.   They want to change things in the future.  Sara suggested that they offer webinars with CEU credits through RUSA.
    • Also suggested a webinar on "Basic Genealogy for Academic Librarians".    Professors are starting to use genealogy databases as primary sources and want help from librarians.  The 3 top suggestions for topics in the survey were certification, training, and another one, all geared at skills for professional librarians.
  • History Librarians Discussion Group (Chella Vaidyanathan): 
    • Had a successful Midwinter discussion  with 2 speakers from Cornell and one from U. Penn.  60 members participating. Presentations will be sent to the listserv.
    • Digital history should be a big direction for RUSA-History.  Maybe we should plan a joint meeting with two groups (RUSA-HS and ACRL Digital Humanities) and start collaborating.  People from WESS (John Marlow)  are interested to do something with RUSA.  Chella will follow up with WESS to explore possible collaboration, topics.  There is a project on Civil War soldiers (UCLA and U. Chicago) which can generate  possible speakers.  
  • Historical Materials:  Nicholas Wyant, Chair, not present .  Agnes presented award at the awards ceremony.   There were 8 websites to present, (ask Agnes details)  They will  be highlighted in an article. The point of the award is to make primary sources more accessible.
  • Instruction and Research Services (Shelley Arlen)
    • Two subcommittees are working on 1)  updating the web site on Using Primary Sources on the Web; 2)  developing libguides on digital sources from different countries/regions of the world.   For the libguides project, the basic structure is up.  The first one will be on the U.S.; will start with 15 links that are very useful.  Guidelines have been set up to make the libguides sustainable long-term.  Chella will send password for us to look at the first libguide.  Michelle would like to open up the libguides for people of other sections to contribute.  They could suggest links to be approved by a moderator.  Would like to have an internship for students interested in becoming bibliographers. We can also create an ad hoc committee where people don't have to be members of the section but can contribute to the project.  We could recruit Spectrum scholars.
    • The Information Literacy Guidelines have been distributed and are available in PDF on the RUSA-H web site. A poster that can be used at conferences  should be created shortly.     Jennifer Dorner and a few other volunteers will use Adobe Connect to create a webinar.  Our guidelines are based on the ACRL Information Literacy Standards which are in the process of being completely revamped/revised. There is some concern about that.  Sara said that we should just go ahead anyway, that the ACRL revision will take a long time.  There is already a mechanism in place to upgrade our guidelines, so we can do it when it’s time.
  • Local History Committee (Bill Forsyth)
    • Will have a virtual committee meeting in February or March.  Progress made on the database for finding aids for genealogy and local history publications published by vanity presses or independent published sources.  Committee is working on a revised proposal for funding to RUSA.  They talked with Gaylord (?) who will give a short presentation about Family History in Las Vegas.
    • Local History is in charge of the program in San Francisco in 2015.  Proposal is due in May.  Michelle suggested a speaker, interested in genealogy, Paula Madison, an NBC executive who came to talk at MIT.  Sara will also share an ideal with Bill.   Committee asked for clarifications:  do we want a high profile speaker, or a nuts and bolts kind of speaker?  

(3) History Sections Reps to RUSA Committees

  • RUSA Access to Information:   Nicholas Wyant, not present, no report.
  • RUSA Awards Coordinating (Agnes Haigh Widder) 
    • Gale Cengage is  in bankruptcy.  They were funding many of our awards, including the new one on Innovation. ($17,000 from Cengage for all awards).
    • Committee is writing a policy on RUSA awards that looks at funding.  A recommendation will be made for temporary funding.  If the Budget and Finance Committee doesn't vote to fund,  the awards may remain as unfunded on the book or be discontinued.
    • Agnes will send the new policy.   Will share with the committee but not include in the minutes (policy not approved yet).
  • RUSA Budget and Finance (Sara Morris, and Jenny Presnell)
    • There was a slight surplus at the end of the year.  RUSA has too much money in the reserve fund.  The money ($3000) will go through providing more support for  RUSA office.
    • There is money to increase impact of signature events, and for extra food and honoraria.  RUSA will also fund the awards for this year, for example $10,000 for the Cengage ones since the company is withdrawing its support. 
    • Other budget items:
      • Money for RUSA President's Program and publicity
      • Just Ask Campaign, $10,000
      • $2500 for conference calls.
      • Will redo the brochure for  recruitment ($2500)
      • Still in the work to develop an Apple app  modeled on the YALSA app which doesn't work well.  $20,000
      • Proposed Budget:  $115,000
    • Discussion about funding of Midwinter.  Midwinter makes money (except once in the previous years).
    • Webinars are profitable so we need to take a hard look on that front and get organized.  Need to find out the average price of a webinar.
    • We can have a six month embargo and then make the webinar available for free to RUSA members.
  • RUSA Conference Program Coordinating Committee:  Janalyn L. Moss, not present, no report.
  • RUSA Learning Opportunities and Knowledge Task Force (Jenny Presnell) no report.
  • RUSA Membership Committee:  Patrick B. Oberholtzer, not present, no report.
  • RUSA Nominating Committee:  Curt B. Witcher, not present, no report.
  • RUSA Organization and Planning Committee:  David Lincove, not present, no report.
  • RUSA Professional Development:  Rachael E. Elrod, not present, no report.
  • RUSA Publications and Communications Committee:  Shelley A. Arlen.  Meeting cancelled at Midwinter.  Goals:  make social media more prominent.  Survey on content audit of the RUSA  website.
  • RUSA Standards & Guidelines Committee:  Charles B. Thurston, not present, no report.
  • Addition to the agenda:  RUSA Review Task Force (Christina). They are discussing if they want to do a survey.  They would survey leadership.  Need to focus more on contents in the RUSA structure. Report may not be ready in May.

(4)  Other Business

Agnes said she will  be running for Vice-Chair.

 

 

More...

Online Doc DRAFT Minutes - RUSA History Section Executive Committee Midwinter Meeting #1 (virtual) - 01/21/2014

by Mary Bogan on Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:38 am

RUSA-History Executive Committee # 1 (Virtual Meeting) -  Minutes

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Present:   Michelle Baildon (Chair), Eileen Bentsen, Nancy A. Bunker, Melinde Lutz Byrne, Bill Forsyth,  Julie Higbee,   Laura Hibler, Helene Lafrance (recorder), Josh Lupkin, Olga Perkovic, Jenny Presnell,  Sara Morris,  Christina Thompson,  Shelley A. Arlen, Leigh-Anne Yacovelli, Patrick Oberholtzer

RUSA-History Executive Committee # 1 (Virtual Meeting) -  Minutes

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Present:   Michelle Baildon (Chair), Eileen Bentsen, Nancy A. Bunker, Melinde Lutz Byrne, Bill Forsyth,  Julie Higbee,   Laura Hibler, Helene Lafrance (recorder), Josh Lupkin, Olga Perkovic, Jenny Presnell,  Sara Morris,  Christina Thompson,  Shelley A. Arlen, Leigh-Anne Yacovelli, Patrick Oberholtzer

  • Introductions
    • Besides the members of the Executive Committee, the following people were in attendance:  Olga Perkovic and Eileen Bentsen, Co-Chairs of the Task Force Revising the “Using Primary Sources on the Web” Page; Laura Hibbler, Chair of the Communication Committee; Melinde Lutz Byrne, Chair of the Genealogy Preconference Planning Committee; Patrick Oberholtzer, Representative to the RUSA Membership Committee; Shelley Arlen, Representative to the RUSA Publications and Communications Committee, and Chair of the Instruction and Research Services Committee;  Josh Lupkin, Chair of the ABC-Clio Award Committee; Bill Forsyth, Chair of the Local History Committee; Julie Higbee; Leigh-Anne Yacovelli
  • Minutes from RUSA HS Executive Committee meetings, Annual 2013 (already approved by the Executive Committee):
  • Announcements of RUSA and HS events:
    • Michelle posted the list of RUSA and HS events at Midwinter.   see http://connect.ala.org/node/217214  Please encourage other section members to attend.
    • Don’t miss  the RUSA Membership Social from 5:30 to 7pm  on Saturday at the Sheraton Liberty Ballroom B.  5:30-7pm:  There will be a raffle and a contest. (  http://alamw14.ala.org/node/12864)
    • Don’t forget to sign up/RSVP for the tour of Independence Hall, the behind-the-scenes tour of the German Society of Pennsylvania which is celebrating its  250th anniversary, and the RUSA History Section Dinner at Banana Leaf Malaysian Cuisine.
    • On Sunday, the  History librarians’ Discussion Group will feature a great panel on the “Role(s) of Humanities Librarians  in Digital Humanities.”
    • The in-person meeting of the RUSA-HS, Executive Committee meeting is on Monday.
  • Chair's report
    • Feedback/discussion on All-committee meeting format at Annual (deadline for scheduling for ALA Annual is January 30)
      • Everybody seems in favor of continuing with the all-committee meeting format, even though it was difficult last year for people who are members of more than one committee.  One suggestion was for the committees to hold a virtual meeting before or after the conference, and then participate in the all-committee one. 
      • Final decision is to continue this year with the all-committee meeting. If needed, committees could have a separate meeting.  Michelle will email all chairs to see if anyone needs a separate meeting. 
      • We need to be aware that, in terms of hospitality to new members, it’s sometimes hard for them to find the tables they need in an all committee meetings. It would be nice to have staff helping new members. Michelle wants to have a local committee at Annual, so maybe one of the volunteers could be at the all-committee meeting.
      • Awards committee will continue to meet at Annual if needed.
      • We need to keep in mind that some people gets funding only if their committee meets in person.
    • Section contributions to RUSA strategic plan
      • The History Section has been asked to describe how our recent and ongoing work contribute to the objectives of the RUSA Strategic Plan (attached to the agenda).
      • Deadline was supposed to be yesterday (01/20), but was extended.  Before the end of this week, all committee chairs need to review the Strategic Plan and let Michelle know how the work of their committee has contributed to.  Michelle will then draft something and submit it to us for comments.  
    • Emerging Leaders proposals - due April 4 (proposal form attached to agenda)
      • Michelle was an emerging leader in 2010, and it’s very intense.  She wants to submit at least one proposal.  All proposals need to be run by the RUSA Board. One  idea is an instruction exchange/clearinghouse.   Maybe  a project related to the new Information Literacy Guidelines would be good.  Send more ideas to Michelle.
    • Updates from RUSA Board 
      • First RUSA Board Meeting at Midwinter is on Saturday from  1:30 to 3:30.  The second meeting  is Monday afternoon. There is a call for action items.  Let Michelle know if you have any.  Already on the agenda is the issue of  RUSA branding, and Big Focus (major directions for RUSA).   Sara suggested recruitment of new members and the necessity to give people the choice of not attending Midwinter. 
  • Vice Chair's report
    • Nominations
      • We have a ballot which will come out shortly.
    • Appointments 
      •  Jenny needs feedback from committee chairs about the members of their committee who could be “chair material”.  Then the next step is to recruit new members and to make appointments, but there is time.
    • Learning Task force: Jenny is a member of this new task force.  She will contact chairs about that to get their input.
  • Past Chair's report (Sara)
    • Research Grant
      • Did get applications for the research grant.  Have heard from the RUSA office that Cengage will pull their funding for awards after this year. We may have to reach out to other vendors/companies.   The Awards Committee has a manual that addresses what to do  when a vendor withdraws its support.
      • It would be nice to feature the winners of research grants in some webinars.  It would increase exposure for them and for the grant.
  • Reports or comments from Chairs and Reps
    • ABC-CLIO Online History Award Committee (Joshua Lupkin)
      • Josh won’t be at Midwinter.  In-between year for the committee since the award is given every other year.  Josh’s goal for this year is to discuss criteria with ABC-CLIO.  In recent years, some excellent projects had to be rejected because of arcane rules or specific requirements.   Example:  some cutting edges projects don’t have learning modules, therefore are not eligible.   Nancy reminded us that ABC-CLIO is really about learning projects.
      • Josh will send his ideas to Agnes Haigh Widder, who is  our representative to the RUSA Awards Coordinating and will follow up. Josh should copy Michelle as well.  
    • Communications Committee (Laura Hibbler)
      • Laura would like all of us to look at the draft of the Communications Toolkit and give her our feedback.
      • She also wants feedback on how to improve the website.
      • She wants regular updates from all committee chairs to post on various pages.   
      • February 21st is the deadline for the next RUSA Update.
      • Michelle praised Laura for an excellent job with the Twitter account. 
      • Facebook is not doing so well.  Some people may not have switched to the new Facebook page (there were more people signed up to the old one).
      • Discussion on how we can encourage new members to sign up for the listservs and/or to follow RUSA on Facebook and Twitter.   Patrick Oberholtzer (representative to the Membership Committee) will send an email about that to new members or renewing members.  Sara suggested to publicize the listserv at the Discussion Group on Saturday.
      • Communication Committee needs to find a way to send a message to all RUSA History Section members (right now the information is available on a spread sheet).
    • Genealogy Preconference Planning (Melinde Lutz-Byrne)
      • The preconference will be held all day on January 24.  There are 14 speakers (several panels).  At this point, it’s over subscribed with more than 80 people. What the Committee tried to do initially was to move back into  ALA fold and to use ALA  registration page.  They qualified for that but did not get enough people (minimum 64 people), maybe because the ALA deadline was too early or because of the cost.  Within ALA, they  had to charge even though the room was free and Proquest was paying for the lunch.   For Las Vegas, they are going on their own again.  It’s too late to change.   They are also exploring now if they should do something twice a year, maybe only a half day, maybe online.
      • In the contracts with their speakers, they asked for permission to record the sessions for possible use in a webinar or other live stream event.  All speakers agreed.  This will not happen now, but it’s good for the future
    • Task Force on revising the “Using Primary Sources on the Web” web page (Olga)
      • The page was last updated 6 years ago.  Olga and Ellen are working together on the revision. They got usage stats on the page, which is heavily viewed.   Right now it’s mostly text based and they want to change that.    They have 5 volunteers and will  have a first virtual meeting in early February to get  moving on the project.  Laura is on board as well to do the actual edits on the web page.    Hopefully this project ties in with some of the goals of the RUSA Strategic Plan.

 

See you all in Philly if we can get there….

 

 

More...

File 2013Annual_Chicago

by Jenny Presnell on Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 08:11 pm

DOCX File, 117.27 KB

Online Doc Minutes-RUSA History Section Executive Virtual Committee Meeting-08-05-2013

by Mary Bogan on Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 09:47 am

RUSA History Section Executive Virtual Committee Meeting

Monday, August 5, noon to 1 p.m. (Eastern Time)

 

Present:  Michelle Baildon (Chair), Mary Bogan, Nancy Bunker, Helene Lafrance (recorder), Sara Morris, Jenny Presnell, Christina Thompson

Approval of Minutes from Midwinter

We postponed the approval of Midwinter minutes to give people a chance to read them.

Update on Programs Approved for Annual 2014

RUSA History Section Executive Virtual Committee Meeting

Monday, August 5, noon to 1 p.m. (Eastern Time)

 

Present:  Michelle Baildon (Chair), Mary Bogan, Nancy Bunker, Helene Lafrance (recorder), Sara Morris, Jenny Presnell, Christina Thompson

Approval of Minutes from Midwinter

We postponed the approval of Midwinter minutes to give people a chance to read them.

Update on Programs Approved for Annual 2014

-Program co-sponsored by RUSA Genealogy Committee with the RUSA STARS Education and Training Committee

Michelle will follow up by email with Sara about this program

-Program sponsored by Historical Materials Committee:

Michelle expressed concerns about the narrow topic of this program, which highlights a single oral history project from UNLV on atomic testing. She was hoping for a bigger theme, a bigger frame.   She talked to Nick Wyant about bringing other projects, maybe a Vietnamese-American history project from UC Irvine.  Other suggestions from our group included somebody from the Atomic Testing Museum, a project on nuclear waste from the University of Utah, or projects related to World War II.

After discussion, we agreed to let the program go as it is for the following reasons: 

-Sara mentioned that it’s already approved;
-It would create a bad precedent to have the executive committee order a change;
-It’s only a one-hour program (at the end of the day from 3 to 4) so there is not enough time for multiple speakers;
-It would be hard at this point to get someone to do it for free;
-The atomic testing topic might be more popular than we think, especially in Nevada.

Our recommendation is to publicize the program really well to ensure good attendance.

Information Literacy Guidelines:  Next Steps?

The Instruction and Research Services committee will be in charge of publicity in collaboration with the Communications Committee.  They also need to keep track of the new developments regarding the ACRL guidelines.  Shelley Arlen (new IRS chair) was at the ACRL discussion about the guidelines during Midwinter, so everything seems under control.

Local Arrangements Task Forces

Michelle would like to appoint two ad hoc Local Arrangements Task Forces, one for Philadelphia, one for Las Vegas, this last one being the most important because we got money from RUSA for a field trip.  We were not able to identify anybody from Las Vegas, so Michelle will go through the ALA-Connect list to find possible members.  She will also ask Nick Wyant for recommendations since he is already in touch with some folks in Las Vegas. Another suggestion was to look at someone from UNLV even if they are not RUSA members.

The local arrangements in Philadelphia should involve a dinner and an informal tour of something of interest, maybe a visit to the Special Collections at Temple University. Michelle will email David Murray to follow up on his offer to arrange for this tour.  Because there is a genealogy pre-conference scheduled, the tour should take place on Saturday or Sunday.

Action Items:

  • Michelle will contact Nick Wyant about possible members of a Las Vegas Local Arrangements Task Force.
  • Michelle will consult ALA Connect to try to identify section members in the Southwest.

History Section & Executive Committee Infrastructure

-Future days/times for conference calls:
Because our schedules are constantly changing, Michelle will use Doodle every month to find a good date. 

-Creating documentation

Michelle would like us to use ALA Connect more extensively.  Jenny and Mary will hunt for old minutes/agendas and upload them (they will contact Shelley for help).   Helene will upload the new minutes on ALA Connect after they are approved by the group.  The minutes from our virtual monthly meetings will go only on Connect, but minutes from Annual and Midwinter will be uploaded to the RUSA web page as well. Helene will contact Laura Hibbler to figure out how to do it. 

We need to get guidelines from the awards committees to put on ALA connect.  Helene will get in touch with Josh (ABC-Clio) and Mary will get in touch with Jennifer (Genealogical Publishing). Sara has received the guidelines for the Gale Cengage Learning History Research and Innovation Award from Janice Schultz.

We discussed briefly the need to create a procedure manual for our group.  Michelle suggested that we look at this example:  http://anssacrl.wordpress.com/committees/manual/   
Such a manual would be useful when our committee is evaluated.  Michelle is waiting to hear from David Lincove about the time frame for our review (sometime in 2016).   Helene, as secretary, could work on this project later on if we decide to do it.

Action Items:

  • Michelle will send a Doodle survey every month to determine time of future meetings.
  • Jenny and Mary will locate old minutes/agenda and upload them to ALA-Connect.
  • Helene will get in touch with Josh to get the guidelines and calendar/schedule for the ABC-CLIO award.
  • Mary will get in touch with Jennifer to get the guidelines and the calendar/schedule for the Genealogical Publishing award.
  • Sara will post the guidelines and the calendar/schedule for the Gale Cengage Learning History Research and Innovation Award

Roles of Executive Committee members

-Liaisons to committees:

Michelle said that, in other groups, all members of the Executive Board are liaisons to a committee. She intends to be closely working with the IRS group this year.  Other members can be liaisons to other committees. What does a liaison do exactly?  Michelle gave the example of a liaison keeping contact with a committee chair and reminding them about the need to write a report. Sara said that a liaison can give guidance but should not micro manage the chair of a committee.  Mary noticed that it would be awkward to be a liaison for a committee if she is not a member of that committee.  Right now for example, nobody on this group is also a member of the Genealogy Committee.  

We decided not to assign liaison duties at this time.  Instead we will sometimes invite committee chairs to our monthly meetings. We can also have a quarterly check-in with the chairs asking them to explain in a paragraph what they have been doing.

ALA Annual events and scheduling

-Reactions to all-committee meeting format:

Genealogy people were disappointed with the all-committee meeting format.  Mary stated that a History Section member had contacted her with concerns about being unable to attend more than one meeting because of the all-commitee format as well as a History Section Dinner and a Genealogy Committee Dinner not being held at 2013 Annual. They would prefer having separate committee meetings because some people are members of several committees (Should people be on more than one RUSA History committee?  Nobody knew exactly, but Michelle said that she did appoint people on more than one committee this year, and there are also legacy multiple appointments).  Another problem with that format is that there is too much distraction to work efficiently. If a committee is really working on a project, the members need a quiet room.

One suggestion was to have one part of the meeting all-committee and then split up in small groups. A problem would be the scheduling of the rooms.  Michelle was not sure about the scheduling process. She will touch base with Sara.  Somebody noted that there are problems with separate meetings as well since they are often scheduled at the same time.

Michelle suggested we continue with an all-committee meeting, and only schedule separate rooms for committees working on intense projects.  We can attract new people with the all committee format, and it’s easy for people to visit all the committees. We can also have food and make the event a little more social (RSS committee does that and they have a sponsor for food).  Michelle reminded us that we will now receive an annual stipend of $1500 for food and other things.  

-Awards committees at Midwinter:

Award committees are supposed to meet virtually at Midwinter, but if all members are present anyway, they should try to find a location to meet in person. Michelle will touch base with Jennifer Daugherty about this.

Action Items: 

  • Michelle will touch base with Sara regarding the scheduling process for rooms at ALA annual and mid-winter.
  • Michelle will contact Jennifer regarding the possibility of in-person meetings (rather than virtual)  for the award committees at Midwinter.

We did not have time to discuss the following agenda items:

Webinar Update

Existing roles of Executive Committee members

History Section dinners (ALA Annual  Events and Scheduling)

 

More...

Event Executive Committee Meeting (RUSA HS)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 01:25 pm

Meeting of the officers, committee chairs, and Section Liaisons to RUSA Committees.

More information about this conference session

Event Executive Committee Meeting I (RUSA HS)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Meeting of the officers and committee chairs of RUSA History Section.

More information about this conference session

Event Executive Committee Meeting II (RUSA HS)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Committee meeting for officers and committee chairs of RUSA History Section.

More information about this conference session

Event Executive Committee (RUSA HS)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 01:08 am

Timezone:
US/Pacific (-7)

Committee meeting to discuss the business of the History Section.

More information about this conference session

Event Executive Committee Meeting I (RUSA HS)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 01:08 am

Timezone:
US/Pacific (-7)

Meeting of the officers of RUSA History Section.

More information about this conference session

Event Executive Committee Meeting II (RUSA HS)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Committee meeting for officers and committee chairs of RUSA History Section

More information about this conference session

Pages

Reference and User Services Association (RUSA) HS Executive Committee

 

 

Subscribe to RUSA HS Executive Committee (History Section)