LLAMA HRS Leadership Skills Committee (Human Resources Section) Committee
ALA Annual 2014, Las Vegas, CA
LLAMA/HRS Leadership Skills Committee Meeting Minutes
Saturday, June 28, 2014
8:30-10am, LVH-Ballroom A
Members in attendance: Carlette Washington-Hoagland, chair; Susan Erickson; Evviva Weinraub Lajoie, Wanda Brown; and Melissa Carr
Guest: Lisabeth Chabot
Carlette opened the meeting and Melissa agreed to record the minutes.
2014 Program Proposal “Leading Virtual Teams.”
The committee discussed that there had been a recent webinar on this topic, but felt that a conference program would reach a different audience. The working title for this program is “Effective Management of Dispersed Teams” or “Effective Management of Virtual Teams.” Carlette and Evviva will modify the proposal and submit it.
- Clarify focus of program: How to effectively manage; motivate, engage, facilitate, and ensure project completion of virtual teams
- Panelists should provide examples of:
- How to build community; foster relationships; maintain momentum and focus; motivate participation; and develop effective reporting and accountability structures.
- Policy changes to aid the transition from traditional to virtual team management.
Evviva and Carlette will also check on possible partnerships with LITA and PLA. Melissa will look for a public library speaker for the panel.
Potential Preconference Program on “Recruitment of Diverse Staff”
This preconference will include writing job descriptions, developing an effective search committee, interviewing, onboarding and cultural competency. The committee discussed a working title of “Out with the old, in with the new-- Strategies for recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce” (or staff or community or population.) Wanda will start working on the paperwork for this preconference. Carlette will send Wanda a pre-conference proposal form.
Other Future Program Topics discussed included:
- Motivational Interviewing
- Creating a more respectful work environment/Civility in the Workplace
- Building Trust-Team building Techniques and Tools (i.e., StrengthFinder, True Colors, Research review on the power of daring bravely, the power of vulnerability (Brene’ Brown: http://brenebrown.com/ ; TED talk- http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_listening_to_shame https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability and Leading with dignity, Donna Hicks: (http://drdonnahicks.com/2013/11/leading-with-dignity/ ); TED talk- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPF7QspiLqM&feature=kp )
- Unconscious Bias. Microagressions deconstructed (Diane Finnerty, Director, Faculty HR and Development, University of Iowa- http://uiowa.academia.edu/DianeFinnerty ) or Lindsey Jarratt, Chief Diversity Officer, University of Iowa (http://diversity.uiowa.edu/lindsay-jarratt )
- The Glass Elevator-Professor Christine Williams-Gender, race and inequality in the workplace ( http://onthemarc.org/blogs/23/167#.U4y4L09OUpE ; http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/sociology/faculty/clwillia)
Jan Sung from the LLAMA Program Committee stopped by to discuss the timeline for programs and preconferences. For a preconference we need to present to the Program committee 18 months prior to the program and for a conference program we need 12 months.
Laine Stambaugh also met with us to discuss our program ideas and talk about appointments to this committee.