ALCTS CRS Executive Committee (Continuing Resources Section) Committee

Closed group
In: ALCTS CRS (Continuing Resources Section), Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS) -- Governance
9 members  |  About this group  |   Syndicate content
View:   Faces | List

File CRS-Section-Report-for-the-ACLTS-Board-October-2013

by Rebecca Kemp on Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:41 pm

PDF File, 86.37 KB

Online Doc ALCTS CRS Participation Guide

by Rebecca Kemp on Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 08:57 am

File CRS-Liaisons-2013-14-doc

by Gracemary Smulewitz on Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 11:42 am

DOCX File, 18.15 KB

Event All Committee Meeting and Executive Committee Meeting (ALCTS CRS)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm

All committee meeting and executive committee meeting for Continuing Resources Section

More information about this conference session

Discussion CRS Annual 2012 Executive Committee minutes

by Anne Mitchell on Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 03:42 pm

CRS Executive Committee
Saturday, June 23, 2012
10:00-noon
Crowne Plaza Anaheim Resort, Mazatlan C

In attendance:

CRS Executive Committee
Saturday, June 23, 2012
10:00-noon
Crowne Plaza Anaheim Resort, Mazatlan C

In attendance:

  • Meg Mering, Chair
  • Jacquie Samples, Chair-Elect
  • Rebecca Kemp, Incoming Chair-Elect
  • Paul Moeller, Past Chair
  • Anne Mitchell, Secretary
  • Eugene Dickerson, Member-at-Large
  • Bonnie Parks, Member-at-Large
  • Sion Romaine, Member-at-Large
  • Patrick Carr, College and Research Libraries Interest Group
  • Anneliese Taylor, Access to Continuing Resources Interest Group
  • Robert Van Rennes, Acquisitions Committee
  • Jennifer Young, Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee
  • Mavis Molto for Kurt Blythe, Education, Research, and Publications Coordinating Committee
  • Heather Staines, Committee on Holdings Information
  • Erin Leach, Policy & Planning Committee
  • Charlene Chou, Standards Committee
  • Selina Lin, First Step Award Jury
  • Christopher Walker, Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship Award Jury
  • Betsy Simpson, ALCTS President and Carolynne Myall, ALCTS President Elect, guests

Interim Business (Meg Mering)

  • Meg Mering recapped Executive Committee business completed since the previous conference:
    • held a conference call with committee and interest group chairs and representatives to assess progress toward annual conference objectives. The interim meeting was considered worthwhile, and in the future will likely occur in both spring and fall.
    • approved the Midwinter 2012 minutes.
    • discussed standing committee liaison assignments for member-at-large positions, following the ALCTS model for division-level committees. The Committee concluded that it would be preferable to continue to assign liaisons based on their interest and expertise.

Announcements from the ALCTS President (Betsy Simpson and Carolynne Myall)

  • Betsy Simpson announced that a standards task force chaired by Cindy Hepfer is looking broadly at standards issues across the division. An interim report from this task force is expected at Midwinter 2013, and a final report at Annual 2013.
  • A number of schedule changes are slated for 2013. In conjunction with an ALA-wide movement toward shorter time slots, programs will be placed in a 60- or 90-minute time slot, with no start time earlier than 8:30am. Programs and interest group forums expecting a large turnout will be held at the convention center, contingent on the size of the convention center at the conference location. Meetings will take place at hotels, with section groups meeting in the same general area throughout the conference. Carolynne Myall confirmed that these changes will go into effect at Midwinter 2013. It is not yet clear how these changes will impact programs with a long-standing panel format, or the program planning process in general. Jacquie Samples will send out the schedule in late summer for reference, and will have the opportunity to review the schedule and provide feedback to ALCTS at that time.
  • Also beginning in 2013, appointments will go into effect before the annual conference so that member and chair responsibilities begin immediately upon appointment. This is expected to improve continuity, especially for groups that do not meet in person at Midwinter. There is expected to be a period of assessment and transition as the new schedule takes effect.
  • The Machine Readable Bibliographic Information Committee (MARBI) will be dissolved as of the end of Annual 2013 and replaced with something larger in scope than MARC, although MARC issues will continue to go to this committee for the foreseeable future. The proposed new committee will be comprised of a RUSA representative and equal numbers of ALCTS and LITA representatives, and will carry on its relationships with NISO, OCLC, and the Library of Congress. Meg Mering indicated that it would be desirable to have CRS representation on the new committee; serials librarians have been involved with MARBI in the past, but not in a representative role. She pointed out that there is a designated CRS representative to CC:DA and was unsure why the composition of MARBI was different. Betsy Simpson and Carolynne Myall both indicated a desire to preserve strong ties to the sections while keeping the committee at a manageable size, and noted that there are different ways of attaining this objective (dedicated liaison roles, established communication expectations, etc.). It is not yet clear how leadership of the committee will be apportioned. LITA and ALCTS will share the responsibility, but it has not been decided whether that will be a joint co-chair appointment, staggered chair/vice-chair appointments, or some other approach.
  • Mary Beth Webber presented the report of the advocacy task force at the Friday Board meeting. The report articulated two kinds of advocacy: background advocacy, in which we demonstrate value to our own organizations and communities; and advocacy at the policy level on issues of current significance such as the depository library program, copyright, and e-book access. A task group will be assigned to address internal advocacy, and an advocacy coordinating group will address the policy issues.
  • Mary Case was scheduled to present the findings of the publication review task force at the Monday Board meeting. The task group has not yet completed its charge but is working on a series of recommendations to improve the robustness of the ALCTS publishing program. Also related to ALCTS publishing, Mary Beth Webber will succeed Peggy Johnson as the editor of LRTS, and newsletter editor Alice Platt is seeking section representatives to the newsletter in order to improve the flow of information from the sections; Felicity Dykas has been appointed as the CRS representative.
  • ALCTS is beginning to address the issue of its digital repository after being approached by bepress. The University of Illinois houses the organization's print archive, but a digital archive had not yet been discussed. It is not clear at this point where the matter will go, and the decision may ultimately reside with ALA rather than ALCTS as part of a broader archival strategy.

CRS General Discussion (Meg Mering)

  • Jacquie Samples will shortly be soliciting nominations for the CRS representative to IFLA, replacing Stephanie Schmitt whose term is expiring.
  • The group discussed the upcoming shift in the appointment calendar to make appointments effective before, rather than after, the annual conference. The change raises a number of issues for committee and interest group leaders. Heather Staines pointed out that chairs are sometimes identified on short notice, and newly appointed chairs that were not planning to attend the annual conference might have difficulty obtaining funding and making travel plans. Rob Van Rennes raised the issue of timing for groups that are sponsoring a program at the annual conference. Rebecca Kemp mentioned the problems that might arise when someone is transitioning between committee assignments. The transition year will make the answers to these questions clearer.
  • The group discussed the ongoing issue of virtual participation. Meg Mering indicated that she hasn't heard consistent opinion from committees and interest groups. Some groups (e.g., award juries) work entirely virtually, some have long-standing virtual members whose participation they have tried to optimize in various ways, and some prefer to work face-to-face at the conference. The usual logistical problems with synchronous virtual participation were raised, chiefly unpredictable Internet access and room acoustics that make Skype or conference calls with remote members a challenge. Several committee chairs also touched on the difficulty of making the committee experience inclusive and satisfying for virtual members. Gene Dickerson suggested that this is particularly critical for new members who have not had a chance to establish an in-person comfort level with the organization, its climate, and its members. ALCTS wants to extend opportunities for participation to a broader base, but it might be uniquely difficult for newer members to engage as virtual participants.
  • Heather Staines raised the question of whether a committee chair could be a virtual participant. In the past, committee members have been able to stand in for absent chairs at the committee and board meetings, but true virtual participation of the chair is a different approach. Jacquie Samples indicated that while she prefers to meet with committee chairs in person, if the only reason someone is coming to the conference is to report to the Board, she is open to alternatives. Heather Staines suggested drafting a set of guidelines and best practices for virtual participation that would address expectations for both chairs and members. Rebecca Kemp added that it might be helpful to do some expectation-setting for participation more generally, so that all chairs and members are operating under a shared understanding of the organization's expectations. Paul Moeller indicated that ALCTS is moving away from requiring conference attendance for committee participants; Meg Mering and Jacquie Samples agreed that CRS needs to embrace this direction and start finding and articulating effective strategies for virtual participation, recognizing that individual committee approaches might differ depending on the nature of their activities.

Action items/reports from committees and liaisons:

  • Officers
    • Meg Mering, Chair – At the ALCTS 101 event, Meg Mering and Jacquie Samples found they had to define many terms relevant to CRS (including “continuing resources”) to experienced as well as early-career professionals. Meg Mering suggested that relevant terms be defined somewhere on the CRS website, perhaps using a short video in lieu of a block of text.
    • Jacquie Samples, Chair-Elect – Jacquie Samples announced the new CRS leaders: Chair-Elect Rebecca Kemp, Secretary Gracemary Smulewitz, Member-at-Large Melissa Beck, Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee Chair Cecelia Genereux, Education, Research, and Publications Coordinating Committee Chair Mavis Molto, Nominating Committee Chair Paul Moeller, Standards Committee Chair Naomi Young, and College and Research Libraries Interest Group Chair Melissa Behney. In the near term, she will be articulating her vision in terms of the ALCTS strategic plan. One major priority for her term to explore how to make virtual participation more seamless and productive. She noted that good ideas exist, and the section just needs to try different approaches and share best practices.
  • Interest Group Chairs
    • Patrick Carr, College and Research Libraries Interest Group – The ALCTS Continuing Resources Section College & Research Libraries Interest Group met from 8:30 to 10AM on June 24, 2012 at ALA Annual Conference. The meeting consisted of a program of three short presentations addressing the topic of the "The Evolving Challenges of E-Resource Preservation." The first presenter, Ken Difiore (Portico), discussed how Portico can function as a solution enabling libraries to retain ongoing access to subscribed e-resource content. Next, Regina Koury (Idaho State University) gave a presentation discussing how her library used its participation in the LOCKSS Alliance to retain ongoing access to cancelled e-journals; the presentation also discussed her efforts to attempt to convince additional publishers to join LOCKSS. The third presentation, by James Jacobs (Stanford University), took a closer look at how the LOCKSS e-resource preservation model works. Following the presentation there was a good discussion and Q&A period in which the challenges of e-resource preservation were addressed in additional detail. There were approximately 20 attendees at the meeting. The new chair of the Interest Group is Melissa Behney (Wesleyan University) and the new chair-elect is Doralyn Rossmann (Montana State University).
    • Anneliese Taylor, Access to Continuing Resources Interest Group – The Access to Continuing Resources Interest Group sponsored three speakers at the Annual Conference addressing the topic "Opening Access for a New Era of Scholarly Publishing."
  • Committee Chairs
    • Robert Van Rennes, Acquisitions Committee – The members reviewed last minute details regarding the committee’s program, "Ending the Big Deal: Truth and Consequences" that was scheduled for Sunday the 24th. Those members able to make it to the program agreed to help with the presentation by distribuing the evaluations and taking a head count of the audience. The committee then discussed programming ideas for next year’s Annual Conference in Chicago and settled on a theme involving consortia E-Book purchasing in a DDA environment. The proposal was submitted online and a meeting was scheduled with the programming committee on Monday afternoon. It was also decided that two members would conduct an ALCTS E-Forum on a similar topic sometime during the early portion of 2013 to build momentum for the committee’s program at ALA Annual in Chicago. The designated members will contact the E-Forum coordinator to work out the details.
    • Jennifer Young, Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee – The CRCC has been busy planning its popular Update Forum for Annual in Anaheim. In addition to the usual reports, the main speaker was Ed Jones, author of the forthcoming RDA & serials cataloging. The Chair was notified in early May that the committee would be able to livestream the Forum. Coordinating with the ALCTS office the logistics of the broadcast took up much of May & June. At the request of the Policy & Planning Committee, the committee reviewed its charge and submitted an updated version to CRS Exec. The committee also asked for a history and possible reinstatement of the informal liaison relationship between the CRCC & MARBI. The changed charge is on hold awaiting the changes to MARBI and the naming of its successor.
    • Mavis Molto for Kurt Blythe, Education, Research, and Publications Coordinating Committee –The ALCTS CRS Education, Research & Publications Coordinating Committee is presently engaged in the revision of two syllabi, the Syllabus for Serials Cataloging and the Syllabus for Serials Collection Management & Acquisitions. Each of these syllabi is awaiting final approval of recent edits for republication. Our charge is satisfactory to our purposes. Our meeting at Annual, once the charge was approved, revolved around brainstorming program ideas for future action. In addition, we acknowledged the addition of a new (virtual) member, Nanako Kodaira Thomas, and were informed of an empty slot in our roster. Finally, regarding old business, the Guide to Managing Microforms was submitted to the committee and passed on to the ALCTS Publications Committee for parsing into publishable chapters.
    • Heather Staines, Committee on Holdings Information – The committee discussed the logistics of the forum which was held later that afternoon: Quality Standards in Batch Records and Adventures in Cooperative Cataloging: Many Hands Make Light Work, Sat., June 23, 04:00 pm 05:30 pm HYATT-Grand Ballroom. Jon Rothman spoke about HathiTrust records, and Les Hawkins updated attendees on the ongoing creation of records for DOAJ titles. Ted Fons, who was scheduled to attend and speak about OCLC initiatives, was unable to attend due to a work conflict, but he did submit a presentation. About 40 people attended the session, and there were many thoughtful questions. Per Meg Mering’s request, the committee discussed the participation of virtual members. There was a consensus that current technology makes virtual representation a bit hit-or-miss; however, everyone felt that it was important to try to include such members. The committee believes it would be useful to develop guides for Chairs who have virtual committee members, as well as participation guidelines for all members with a section on virtual participation. For Midwinter, the committee spoke to the Cataloguing Committee about joining forces for a forum at Midwinter with a topic about Linked Data. Jointly, the committees are considering one speaker on holdings aspects of the eXtensible Catalog, then two or three practical examples of using linked data (Selina Lin talked about a project at her university). The idea would be that attendees would leave with the practical knowledge of how to make a small but meaningful foray into Linked Data. The committees will share ideas by email later in the summer and hold a call before summer is over.
    • Erin Leach, Policy and Planning Committee – The Policy and Planning Committee worked on charge review for CRS committees. Each committee chair was asked to work with their committee to evaluate the committee charge and report back to the Policy and Planning Committee about any changes that needed to be made. Additionally, the Policy and Planning Committee has been working on reviewing the ALCTS Strategic Plan to brainstorm activities that the CRS could undertake to reach the goals outlined in the Strategic Plan. The Policy and Planning Committee hopes to evaluate ideas and recommend actions to the section chair by ALA's Midwinter meeting.
    • Charlene Chou, Standards Committee – The ALCTS/CRS Continuing Resources Standards Update Forum was held on Sunday, June 24 at 10:30am. The speakers were Regina Romano Reynolds, Director of the US ISSN Center at the Library of Congress speaking on "ISSN, FRBR and RDA: harmonies and dissonances.” Todd Carpenter of NISO reported on ResourceSync and John Hostage from Harvard Law School Library reported on IFLA standards. The Standards Committee was asked by CRS Policy & Planning Committee to review their charge this year. The committee’s concern is that the new ALCTS Standards Task Force’s report could impact on the future of the CRS Standards Committee and recommends waiting until that group reports next year at Annual to review, and possibly recommend changes to, the charge. In assessing the existing charge, the committee found that while it is fulfilling the programming piece, it is not actively providing input on the creation and revision of CRS-related standards, especially in the past five years. The chair indicated that a lot of notices asking for comment come across the ALCTS Leaders list but nothing specifically targeted at CRS. The committee discussed that in future, the chair may want to review those notices coming through and identify the relevant standards. There is no reason the committee couldn’t communicate online and put together a group comment, even if it’s tangential. The committee could routinize the organizing of committee comments to ensure participation in the process. That way, the Standards Committee could begin to achieve recognition as a potential targeted source for both comment and for membership on relevant standard groups. Per Gene’s recommendation, the committee discussed if it may learn from the Cataloging Committee to be streaming their update forum for our future update forums. The committee will need to discuss whether they want to do that and contact ALCTS if there’s interest.
    • Selina Lin, First Step Award Jury – At the ALCTS Awards Ceremony on June 24, the 2012 First Step Award winner, Beth Larkee Kumar of University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, was presented the award certificate by CRS Chair, Meg Mering, and a $1,500 check by Charles Regan from Wiley. Selina Lin, Chair of the First Step Award Jury, read the citation on the Certificate.
    • Christopher Walker, Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship Award Jury – The Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship Jury completed its work for the term at the Anaheim Annual Conference. Members of the Jury attended the reception honoring this year’s winner, Valerie Bross, head of the continuing resources cataloging section at the UCLA Library Cataloging & Metadata Center, Friday evening, and thanked representatives of ProQuest and its Serials Solutions business unit for their continuing sponsorship of the award. Jury Chair Christopher Walker, Section Chair Meg Mering, and Yvette Diven, Senior Product Manager for Serials Solutions presented the award to Valerie at the ALCTS Award ceremony Sunday evening. Members of the current jury were released with thanks for their work and a reminder to shred any documentation identifying unsuccessful candidates, to protect the confidentiality of the process.
  • Representatives
    • Lynda Wright, Membership Committee -- The ALCTS Membership Committee has sponsored an ALCTS 101 recruitment event at annual conference for several years. The committee co-sponsored the event again this year with the ALCTS New Members Interest Group. About 75 people attended the event and learned about the mission, structure, and functioning of ALCTS, as well as about how to become involved with the organization. The ALCTS Headquarters staff provided refreshments and door prizes for the lively 90 minute gathering. The ALCTS Membership Committee met on Sunday, June 24, 2012 at the Anaheim Marriott Suites Hotel in Anaheim, CA. Tim Strawn, the Committee liaison to ALCTS Executive Committee, gave a report from the first ALCTS Executive Council meeting. He noted that while overall ALA membership has decreased in the past year, ALCTS membership is up 2.3% from last year. Membership in the CRS section also increased 2.54%, to 1370 members. The committee reviewed the ALCTS 101 event and made suggestions and plans for next year’s program. The CRS representatives noted that many attendees were confused by the term “continuing resources.” Outreach to library school students has been a focus of the membership committee for several years, and it was noted that about 10% of the attendees were library school students. The Membership Committee Chair is planning to attend the ALA library school/education committee meeting at midwinter 2013. Several years ago the Membership Committee worked hard to create standard messages to be sent from the ALCTS office to ALCTS members when they join, when they renew their membership, and when they fail to renew membership. There is concern that these messages are not being sent. The Committee Chair will investigate the status of the canned messages with the ALCTS office staff. ALCTS President Betsy Simpson and President-Elect Carolynne Myall joined the committee for a few minutes. Simpson reported that ALCTS is creating an Advocacy Taskforce for the division. There will also be a new Standards Taskforce to address issues resulting from the dissolution of MARBI in 2013. Maintaining strong ALCTS publications is also a concern for the division. Lynda is rotating off the committee as of June 30, 2012. Anne Mitchell will be the new CRS representative to the Membership Committee.
More...

Discussion CRS Midwinter 2012 Executive Committee minutes

by Anne Mitchell on Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 04:33 pm

CRS Executive Committee
Saturday, January 21, 2012
10:00-noon
Omni, Dallas A

In attendance:

CRS Executive Committee
Saturday, January 21, 2012
10:00-noon
Omni, Dallas A

In attendance:

  • Meg Mering, Chair
  • Jacquie Samples, Chair-Elect
  • Paul Moeller, Past Chair
  • Anne Mitchell, Secretary
  • Eugene Dickerson, Member-at-Large
  • Bonnie Parks, Member-at-Large
  • Sion Romaine, Member-at-Large
  • Patrick Carr, College and Research Libraries IG
  • Robert Van Rennes, Acquisitions Committee
  • Jennifer Young, Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee
  • Mavis Molto for Kurt Blythe, Education, Research, and Publications Coordinating Committee
  • Heather Staines, Committee on Holdings Information
  • Connie Foster, Nominating Committee
  • Erin Leach, Policy & Planning Committee
  • Naomi Young for Charlene Chou, Standards Committee
  • Selina Lin, First Step Award Jury
  • Shana McDanold, rep to ALCTS Organization & Bylaws Committee
  • Betsy Simpson, ALCTS President and Carolynne Myall, ALCTS President-Elect, guests

Interim business (Meg Mering)

  • Meg Mering recapped business that the Executive Committee completed since the previous conference:
    • minutes from the 2011 Annual Conference were approved
    • approved the Nominating Committee’s slate of candidates
    • approved a change to the First Step Award criteria removing the requirement that applicants have not previously attended an ALA Annual Conference
    • approved the Ulrichs Serials Librarianship Award winner and the First Step Award winner recommended by the respective award juries

Announcements from the ALCTS President (Betsy Simpson and Carolynne Myall)

  • Betsy Simpson began with an update from the ALCTS Board. She recapped the changes that ALCTS has made thus far based on the Reshaping ALCTS survey:
    • published its “strategic issues” document
    • revamped the conference schedule
    • appointed an Interest Group Coordinator to facilitate IG activities across the division
    • converted CRG into the Affiliate Relations Committee
    • restructured CMS and PARS

    A section review process is imminent. CaMMS will be the first section to undergo review. The Organization & Bylaws Committee will be publishing a 5-year schedule for section review.

  • Priorities for ALCTS based on the Reshaping survey are virtual participation, advocacy, and standards. A task force to examine advocacy in the ALCTS context is being chaired by Mary Beth Weber and is expected to complete its report by Annual 2012. ALCTS publication activities are also a priority, although not one that emerged from the Reshaping survey. A task force to review and recommend future directions for ALCTS Publishing is being chaired by Mary Case and is also expected to complete its report by Annual 2012. A search is underway to fill the LRTS editor position following Peggy Johnson's retirement; the Board hopes to have someone in place by June so they can overlap with Peggy.
  • Leadership succession planning is a significant issue for the division. Carolynne Myall reminded all present to recruit and/or recommend volunteers. ALCTS has a commitment to find a place for capable volunteers, although new volunteers cannot be guaranteed their first preference of committee assignment. A discussion followed regarding rules about committee interns. Meg Mering sought clarification on whether internships are one-time assignments or if an individual can have successive intern assignments. Carolynne Myall thought that interns who perform well should receive full committee assignments, but that intern positions might occasionally be the only appointments available. She added that some people are willing to accept intern assignments on committees of significant interest that seldom have full appointments open. Paul Moeller suggested that someone with previous committee experience might be assigned an intern position if they return from a prolonged absence or take on new responsibilities in a different area, or even occupy a full committee position and an intern position simultaneously. This type of dual appointment technically isn't supposed to happen, but Jacquie Samples pointed out that if the two committees were in different sections, neither appointing officer would be aware of the other appointment. Betsy Simpson and Carolynne Myall indicated that ALCTS is moving toward single appointments in order to involve as many volunteers as possible. Those present agreed that single appointments were a more beneficial goal than merely enforcing an arbitrary rule about who may hold an intern position, and that this objective should be made clear to volunteers and appointing officials.
  • Paul Moeller asked if there had been any movement on streaming the CRCC forum, a request that CRS has raised repeatedly with the ALCTS Board. Betsy Simpson indicated that with the growing emphasis on virtual participation, there is widespread interest in broadcasting sessions. PARS anticipated piloting a streamed forum at the Midwinter meeting as part of an Emerging Leaders proposal, but the financial and technological infrastructure for providing this service on a larger scale is not yet in place. This has been a problem for virtual committee participation as well. Shana McDanold indicated that the ALCTS Organization & Bylaws committee had planned to conduct their meeting via Skype but found that wifi didn't extend to the assigned meeting room. Meeting room amenities can be unpredictable from conference to conference, and committee chairs don't know in advance what the situation will be. Betsy Simpson brought up the changing expectations for virtual participation. Virtual membership used to be conducted by email and phone, but there is an increasing expectation that virtual participation will be synchronous. She stressed that all of ALA is looking at this issue, not just ALCTS, but that Charles Wilt was working on how to address the unpredictability of resources at the meeting site.
  • Meg Mering mentioned the scheduling changes being considered at the ALA executive level. Based on feedback about program length that ALA has gathered from surveys and focus groups, the proposal is to do away with 2- and 4-hour program blocks and disallow back-to-back meetings so that all scheduled programs are 90 minutes or less, beginning in 2013. Under the proposed plan, sessions could be as short as 30 minutes. Meg remarked that she doesn't want to spend as long getting to a meeting as attending the meeting. Betsy Simpson added that Charles Wilt was looking at potential ways to bypass the restrictions, but work-arounds could be problematic. The proposal primarily addresses programs; business entities such as boards, MARBI, and CC:DA would be exempt from the changes.
  • At the time of the conference, the long-anticipated ALCTS website migration to a Drupal platform was expected for early February; this migration has now taken place.

CRS General Discussion (Meg Mering)

  • Meg Mering shared a few more items from the ALCTS Board Report, including an announcement of a memorial resolution honoring longtime ALCTS member D. Whitney Coe and a proposal from Division Councilor Brian Schottlaender to move the Print Archive Network under the auspices of ALCTS. Because it is an election year, the Board reminded members that lobbying for political candidates is not allowed in any ALA medium (e.g., discussion lists) because of ALA's tax exempt status.
  • There was continued discussion of ALCTS demographics and leadership development. Connie Foster pointed out that, as with the committee appointment process, there is not a surfeit of nominees for elected positions at the section level. ALCTS gets first refusal on candidates, and there is competition for candidates with ALCTS and among sections. ALCTS and CRS demographics skew overwhelmingly in favor of academic libraries. Meg Mering reports that 35% of ALCTS members belong only to ALCTS, 48% belong to both ALCTS and ACRL, and just 13% belong to both ALCTS and PLA. The ALCTS Board currently has three vendor members and no public library members. ALCTS and CRS are interested in promoting more public library involvement. Paul Moeller indicated that a Public Library IG has emerged and the CRS chairs have actively sought to appoint public library volunteers to committee positions. T. J. Kao, the intern on the Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee, is from a public library in Oregon. Nonetheless, public libraries are still underrepresented, largely due to factors outside ALCTS' control such as travel funding. Naomi Young suggested that many public librarians are more likely to be involved in their state library associations. Jacquie Samples agreed that recruiting public library participants to ALCTS and CRS might require a more focused and proactive approach.
  • Paul Moeller asked the committee chairs about their virtual participation experiences. Committees with long-standing virtual participants reported reasonably good outcomes, but synchronous participation of virtual members with in-person meetings is perennially difficult because of factors like acoustics and cellular signals. Jacquie Samples and Shana McDanold raised the issue that the technology limitations are sometimes on the remote end, as virtual participants may lack the technology or permissions to use solutions like Google+ Hangouts from their workplaces. Naomi Young added that while ALA provides services such as dial-in web conferencing that could potentially be used to support virtual participation, most ordinary members and committee chairs aren’t aware of them. Jacquie Samples offered to summarize the available tools and report back to the group. Shana McDanold and Meg Mering mentioned that soft skills as well as technology are necessary for productive virtual communication, whether in a meeting or a classroom situation. These skills include as managing multiple input streams like chat and phone conversations, clearly documenting expectations and action items, and establishing rapport and feedback within the group in the absence of visual cues. Jacquie Samples will take this issue back to the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee.
  • The final planned discussion topic was standards: whether ALCTS is covering standards sufficiently, how the ALCTS structure helps or hinders involvement in standards activities, and what more ALCTS can do to support members engaged in standards work. Some sections (esp. CaMMS, CRS, PARS) have very active standards committees. Other sections do not, but the absence of a standards committee doesn’t mean there aren’t standards relevant to their interests. Naomi Young wondered whether organizations like NISO would be receptive to ALCTS recommending qualified people to serve on standards groups and/or respond to requests for feedback. At present, the process for raising questions or concerns about standards is not well understood. If ALCTS’ relationship with standards organizations was more formal, issues would be less likely to fall through the cracks. It might also be helpful for ALCTS to maintain a standards page listing the standards relevant to each section. Such a resource could acclimate new members to the standards jargon as well as fuel discussion within ALCTS about why these standards are relevant to our practice. In the past, standards activity within CRS has primarily revolved around forums, but perhaps more could be done in the area of tracking standards and generating continuing education. Jacquie Samples reminded the group that Nancy Kraft is now the NISO liaison.
  • Robert Van Rennes expressed concern about topical and speaker overlap between the upcoming Acquisitions Committee program on the “big deal” and a College & Research Libraries Interest Group discussion at Midwinter. Patrick Carr added that the IG might have geared its session differently had the planners been aware that the Acquisitions Committee had a similar program coming forward. Meg Mering felt that modest overlap even at the same conference can be beneficial, as interested attendees might be able to get to one meeting time but not another, but acknowledged the problem of coordination between formal programs and more spontaneous IG discussions. Gene Dickerson suggested that there might be a role for the IG Coordinator in sharing information about evolving IG programming with the Program Committee and vice versa. Heather Staines suggested that a couple of mid-year conference calls for all the committee and interest group chairs would improve opportunities for cooperation within the section.

Reports and action items

  • Officers
    • Meg Mering, Chair – Meg will arrange a conference call for committee chairs for mid-spring.
    • Jacquie Samples, Chair-Elect – Jacquie urged all present to volunteer and encourage others to volunteer.
  • Interest Groups
    • Patrick Carr, College and Research Libraries IG – The interest group sponsored a session at the Midwinter Meeting titled “Discontinuing Big Deal Publisher Packages: Perspectives and Processes.” The session was held from 8:30-10AM on Sunday, January 22 2012 in the Dallas Convention Center room 227. The session featured two 25 minute presentations: "Big Deals: Where Do We Go from Here?" by Beth Bernhardt, Electronic Resources Librarian at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro; and "Leaving the Big Deal: The University of Oregon Experience" David Fowler, Head, Licensing, Grants Administration & Collection Analysis at the University of Oregon. Following the presentations, the presenters addressed questions and comments from attendees. The sign-in sheet indicated a total of 54 attendees (the actual turn-out was significantly higher – closer to 75 – because some attendees did not enter a name on the sign in sheet). Carr received a number of positive comments about how useful and engaging the session was. Following the session, the presentation slides were posted on ALA Connect and session attendees were notified of this via email.
  • Committee Chairs
    • Robert Van Rennes, Acquisitions Committee – The Committee discussed and worked out the details to their upcoming program, "Ending the Big Deal: Truth and Consequences" for next year's Annual Conference in Anaheim. All indications are that the program is on track. In addition the Committee brainstormed ideas for programming in 2013. A tentative topic of consortial e-book purchasing was agreed upon by the members and potential speakers, including vendor and consortia representatives, were discussed.
    • Jennifer Young, Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee – The Committee has continued to provide feedback on several proposals concerning RDA via the CRS rep to CC:DA, Adolfo Tarango. The Committee’s popular Midwinter Update Forum focused on a demo of VTLS software and a discussion of several CC:DA proposals concerning RDA.
    • Mavis Molto for Kurt Blythe, Education, Research, and Publications Coordinating Committee – The committee is working on updates to the syllabus for serials cataloging that is posted on the ALCTS website. The Guide to Managing Microforms manuscript has been revised, and the committee is waiting to hear back from the ALCTS Publications Committee on whether the manuscript will go forward or if a new proposal is needed.
    • Heather Staines, Committee on Holdings Information – The committee is working with the Standards Committee for the first time to plan a program: Discovering and Cataloging Repositories and Unique Collections.
    • Christopher Walker, Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship Award Jury – The Jury selected a winner; the selection was approved by the necessary Executive Committee and Board; the winner and sponsor have been notified; and the Jury will next draft a press release.
  • Representatives
    • Felicity Dykas, rep to ALCTS Program Committee – The committee is meeting twice at the Midwinter conference to meet with program planners for ALA Annual 2012. The Program Committee also oversees virtual preconferences; there are two scheduled for June 2012. At the annual conference the Program Committee will meet with those who are proposing programs and preconferences for Annual 2013. Please think of ideas and submit them. The Program Committee helps planners through the process. The online submission form can be found on the ALCTS website.
    • Shana McDanold, rep to ALCTS Organization & Bylaws Committee – The committee has been working with CaMMS bylaws changes and working out the schedule for section reviews. The committee has had to alter the section review schedule because of the recent restructuring.
More...

Event All Committee and Executive Committee Meeting (ALCTS CRS)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Meeting of the Continuing Resources Section committees and the Executive Committee

More information about this conference session

Discussion CRS Annual 2011 Executive Committee minutes

by Anne Mitchell on Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 11:33 am

CRS Executive Committee
Sunday, June 26, 2011
10:30-noon
Hilton Riverside, Elmwood

In attendance:

CRS Executive Committee
Sunday, June 26, 2011
10:30-noon
Hilton Riverside, Elmwood

In attendance:

  • Paul Moeller, Chair
  • Meg Mering, Chair-Elect
  • Connie Foster, Past Chair
  • Anne Mitchell, Secretary
  • Eugene Dickerson, Member-at-Large
  • Ann Fath, Member-at-Large
  • Bonnie Parks, Member-at-Large
  • Patrick Carr, College and Research Libraries IG
  • Heather Staines, Access to Continuing Resources IG
  • Christine Turner and Liz Babbitt, Electronic Resources IG
  • Jennifer Young, Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee
  • Kurt Blythe, Education, Research, and Publications Coordinating Committee
  • Denise Novak, Nominating Committee
  • Julia McGinnis, Policy & Planning Committee
  • Linda Smith-Griffin, rep to NASIG
  • Cynthia Whitacre, ALCTS President and Betsy Simpson, ALCTS President-Elect, guests

CRS welcome and introductions (Paul Moeller)

  • 2011 Midwinter Meeting minutes were approved and have been made public on the Executive Committee's Connect space and on the ALCTS website.

ALCTS Board Report highlights from Saturday meeting (Paul Moeller)

  • From Betsy Simpson: Division-level and most section-level appointments are done. The focus of her tenure will be advocacy and what that means for ALCTS, examining the appropriate role of ALCTS in supporting and developing standards, and promoting an understanding of the value of librarianship and the role of ALCTS.
  • From Mary Case: Alice Platt will be the new editor for ANO. The ALCTS Nominating Committee is seeking ALCTS-level nominations and people to run for ALA Council.
  • From Charles Wilt: ALCTS has been a big user of ALA Connect relative to other divisions. ALCTS is beginning a process of moving information from web pages to Connect in order to transition into a more flexible web space. Membership is up in total numbers and across all sections, but down in institutional memberships, so income is down overall. Registered attendance as of Friday was around 10,000, down slightly from the previous year but not unexpected because New Orleans is not a big regional draw. Overall, the ALCTS budget is in an acceptable position, due in large part to the role of continuing education webinars. The webinar calendar is booked for the remainder of the calendar year, so those interested in developing a webinar should plan for spring. Traffic to the ALCTS website is up to approximately 7,700 hits for the previous six-week period; this usage is largely attributed to interest in webinars and forums.
  • Attendance at Spectrum and ALCTS 101 activities was robust this year. The incremental Reshaping process is underway, and several changes are already in effect. The Interest Group Coordinator has been doing outreach to interest group chairs. The Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS) was renamed the Collection Management Section (CMS) and some of its committees were reconstituted as interest groups. The Council of Regional Groups (CRG)is being disbanded and will be reformed as a division-level committee. The Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS) is changing its name to Cataloging and Metadata Management Section (CaMMS) to reflect the increasing scope of members' knowledge and job responsibilities beyond traditional cataloging and classification.
  • The Board discussed proposed changes to the conference schedule and ways to better accommodate virtual members. The GoToMeeting platform currently used for webinars can be used to support virtual meetings and committee work. The Board discussed a possible shift toward making Annual the first meeting of the committee cycle in order to improve the climate for groups that wish to meet virtually in lieu of attending Midwinter. The challenges inherent in convening a committee virtually – particularly one whose members are unknown to each other – have limited the efficacy of virtual participation and slowed the momentum of some committees. A shifted cycle would enable groups to convene in person at the better-attended Annual meeting and have their activities well underway for a virtual Midwinter meeting. A Virtual Participation Task Force will be looking at what support is available now and what needs to be done in the future. In the meantime, members are free to experiment with different approaches, bearing in mind that there may not be official support at this time.
  • Overall ALA membership is down about 1%. Total attendance at Annual is around 19,000, down from around 23,000 at the previous conference but about what was expected for this location. The virtual town hall had around 500 attendees. Planners were encouraged by this level of attendance and may repeat this approach at future conferences. LITA has posted draft guidelines for streaming meetings. Meetings are very different from programs with respect to broadcasting and recording. Issues to consider include confidentiality, alerting participants that the meeting is being broadcast, and having guidelines for when conversations need to be moved to a closed session.

Announcements from the ALCTS President (Cynthia Whitacre and Betsy Simpson)

  • The ALCTS Board will be voting on the new strategic plan at their Monday meeting and discussing implementation. Section-level planning committees should be looking at how to implement and ensuring that they have good communication with their representative to the ALCTS Planning Committee.
  • Other issues pending before the ALCTS Board:
    • Virtual participation/virtual membership: The ALCTS Board is considering ways to facilitate virtual participation and virtual groups.
    • Publications: This is not an area of strength or a major revenue stream for ALCTS. The Board will be looking at potential improvements to the ALCTS publishing process.
    • Transforming Collections Task Force: This task force is an offshoot of ALA's “transforming libraries” goal. Its scope is intentionally broad so that it can encompass many exploratory areas such as ebooks, digitization, floating collections, etc. The group has brainstormed a variety of ideas for how to support and encourage the “transforming collections” idea and welcomes feedback from the membership regarding priorities and themes.
  • Linda Smith-Griffin inquired about the role of advocacy in ALCTS. Betsy Simpson acknowledged that this issue was touched on in the “Reshaping ALCTS” survey results, and the Board is exploring the concept further because there are potentially many different things that advocacy could mean.
  • Paul Moeller brought up ongoing questions about the program development process, including whether the online form takes the place of any kind of paper process. Cynthia Whitacre indicated that the program committee can also take ideas more informally. Connie Foster mentioned that the form seems to be asking for the Program Committee chair's contact information, rather than the submitter's contact information – this and other areas of the form may still be confusing to potential submitters. Paul Moeller and Connie Foster also mentioned a potential area of confusing on the proposed conference schedule changes. The Monday afternoon time block for Midwinter is designated “program” when in fact this is the meeting of the ALCTS Program Committee.
  • Betsy Simpson mentioned that the Leadership Development Committee is putting together an orientation for incoming committee and interest group chairs. This orientation will include new leader information that used to be delivered as an in-person program but is now being converted into a webinar. The webinar is expected to be delivered a couple of times live, and will also be recorded for future reference. ALCTS plans to make this webinar free and openly available; the content may be ready as early as this fall.
  • Christine Turner raised questions about interest group affiliations under the Reshaping plan: Is it the intention to move interest groups from the section level to the division level? Who should be the primary contact for interest group chairs? What happens going forward? Cynthia Whitacre emphasized that it is up to each individual interest group to determine what its preferred affiliation is, and this connection can be as strong or as weak as the interest group desires. The role of the ALCTS-level Interest Group Coordinator is not to supervise or direct the interest groups, but to facilitate their process, answer their questions, and head off potential duplication among interest groups across the division. Paul Moeller added that the ALCTS leadership doesn't want to create a lot of boundaries for the interest groups. It is perfectly normal for interest group ideas to cross sections or even divisions; if an interest group feels it is in the wrong place, it can request a change. Christine Turner suggested that the new leader training emphasize that interest groups should focus on the content they want to deliver and not worry too much about affiliation.

CRS general discussion (Paul Moeller)

  • Conference scheduling: The current schedule is difficult for officers; they have many commitments, some of them conflicting. There is good support for having all CRS committees meeting at the same time, with the Executive Committee meeting immediately afterward. Some members may be able to reduce the amount of time they spend at the conference. Meg Mering expressed frustration that the new committee chair orientation is at the same time as the all-committee meeting, such that the incoming chair is not hearing issues from committees first-hand. Paul Moeller agreed that there are inevitably going to be conflicts but that a more compact schedule might help minimize them.
  • ALCTS strategic plan: The strategic plan that was distributed for member review is expected to be ratified by the Board, and CRS needs to be looking at how to implement it. Areas to consider include how to sustain a vibrant membership base through marketing campaigns and outreach, and how to encourage robust attendance and feedback for ALCTS-sponsored events at conference and online. Experimentation is welcome, and the ALCTS leadership is looking for best practices to emerge. Members, committees, and interest groups were again encouraged to consider how their content might work as a webinar or preconference, and how to extend the life of well-received program events through webinars or e-forums.

Reports and action items (see all CRS committee and interest group reports)

  • Officers
    • Meg Mering, Chair-Elect: Meg Mering and incoming Chair-Elect Jacquie Samples attended ALCTS 101. During the round robin session, it was apparent that many people had aspects of their work that related to continuing resources, but seldom their full job. As of the Annual meeting, all committee appointments were made and Meg Mering will be arranging which groups each member-at-large will be a liaison to.
  • Interest Group Chairs
    • Patrick Carr for Beth Bernhardt, College and Research Libraries IG: The IG's program was occurring simultaneously with the Executive Committee meeting, so there was nothing program-related to report. Patrick Carr has been working with outgoing chair Beth Bernhardt to get oriented.
    • Heather Staines, Access to Continuing Resources IG: The IG's program was scheduled for later in the day, so there was nothing program-related to report. The IG has been discussing how best to disseminate event information, since IG events are publicized differently than formal programs. This IG typically alternates the chair position between a librarian and a vendor; Anneliese Taylor is the incoming chair.
    • Christine Turner, Electronic Resources IG: The IG held a web-scale discovery forum centering around concerns about integrating the catalog into discovery services. Attendance was lower than anticipated (approx. 40 attendees). Possible reasons for lower-than-expected attendance include the event location, overlap with similar programs, and/or the timing of publicity. The IG felt that there were many fruitful avenues for future discussion in this area.
  • Committee Chairs
    • Denise Novak for Clint Chamberlain, Acquisitions Committee: The committee is putting forward a program about decoupling the Big Deal, and plans to moderate an e-forum to generate interest. Rob Van Rennes is the incoming chair.
    • Jennifer Young, Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee: The CRCC forum is held on Monday, so the committee has nothing program-related to report. They anticipate a lively program addressing PIE-J and RDA.
    • Kurt Blythe, Education, Research, and Publications Coordinating Committee: One long-outstanding publication is still outstanding, and the Committee is considering what to do about it. As of the Executive Committee meeting, the ALCTS Publications Committee had not yet met.
    • Heather Staines for Julie Su, Committee on Holdings Information: The committee's program addressed universal holdings and repurposing holdings information. Attendance was estimated at about 60. The committee is still discussing topics for Midwinter.
    • Denise Novak, Nominating Committee: Denise Novak suggested having a checklist of Nominating Committee functions and requirements.
    • Julia McGinnis, Policy & Planning Committee: The committee will be comparing the CRS organization with CMS and PARS and how this group fits with the new strategic plan to determine if any changes are needed. The committee is hoping to accomplish much of its investigative work during the fall, discuss its findings at Midwinter, and identify future directions early in the year so that CRS committees will be able to discuss those directions at Annual.
  • Representatives
    • Linda Smith-Griffin, rep to NASIG: The NASIG conference was held June 2-5. Steve Shadle is the current President; Bob Boissy is the President-Elect. NASIG has been encouraging brainstorming on its name, role, and mission.
More...

Discussion CRS Midwinter 2011 Executive Committee minutes

by Anne Mitchell on Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 09:51 am

CRS Executive Committee
Sunday, January 9, 2011
10:30am-noon
Hilton, Cobalt 500

In attendance:

CRS Executive Committee
Sunday, January 9, 2011
10:30am-noon
Hilton, Cobalt 500

In attendance:

  • Paul Moeller, Chair
  • Meg Mering, Chair-Elect
  • Connie Foster, Past Chair
  • Anne Mitchell, Secretary
  • Eugene Dickerson, Member-at-Large
  • Ann Fath, Member-at-Large
  • Bonnie Parks, Member-at-Large
  • Jennifer Young, Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee
  • Julia McGinnis, Policy & Planning Committee
  • Charlene Chou, Standards Committee
  • Betty Landesman, First Step Award Jury
  • Angie Ohler, rep to ALCTS Program Committee
  • Lynda Wright, rep to ALCTS Membership Committee
  • Linda Smith-Griffin, rep to NASIG
  • Cynthia Whitacre and Betsy Simpson, guests

CRS welcome and introductions (Paul Moeller)

  • 2010 Annual Meeting minutes were approved and have been made public. on the Executive Commitee's Connect space.
  • A slight change was approved to the Holdings Committee charge: the text "local catalogs, group catalogs and union catalogs" should become "local catalogs, group catalogs, union catalogs, and knowledgebases." Anne Mitchell has forwarded this request to ALCTS staff.

ALCTS Board Report highlights from Saturday meeting (Moeller)

  • The ALCTS Board meets twice during the conference, Saturday and Monday 1:30-5:30.
  • Midwinter preconferences in general, and ALCTS preconferences in particular, were well attended. Walk-in numbers were down only slightly from Boston, which was considered a good turnout.
  • ALCTS President Cynthia Whitacre asked for nominations for the Presidential Citation. This award is for an outstanding recent contribution to ALCTS, not a lifetime achievement award.
  • ALA's current emphasis is buiding a culture of library advocacy. Another priority is promoting diversity; Whitacre indicated that Spectrum scholarship fundraising is ongoing.
  • ALCTS is seeking a new editor for ALCTS Newsletter Online (ANO).
  • ALCTS Executive Director Charles Wilt provided a budget update. ALCTS membership is down about 3% overall, although CRS membership is actually increasing. Declining membership is offset by continuing education efforts such as webinars. Fifteen webinars are scheduled for the spring, including the possibility of some offered free as an outreach tool. Wilt encouraged members to join more than one section, which they can do at no additional cost.
  • Base membership age in ALCTS is around 50, versus late 40s for ALA overall. This is a potential area of concern for long-term membership development, and various recruitment efforts are being considered to encourage younger members to join. Current mentoring partnerships with New Members' Interest Group has resulted in far more mentor volunteers than mentees, and there may be a need to rethink what new members need and want from a mentor relationship.
  • ALA Past President Camilla Alire visited the ALCTS Board to talk about the white paper on the future of Midwinter. The white paper was not a policy change but a look at what was happening. The ALCTS Board expressed surprise that the report didn't mention the economic issues surrounding Midwinter or identify a threshold for viability. Within the CRS Executive Committee, members found the report notably uncritical of the two-meeting format, particularly given that there is less programming at Midwinter than in years past, and many groups are opting out of in-person business meetings. Moeller noted that ALA regards Midwinter as a regional outreach, development and networking tool, because it can be held in cities with smaller facilities than those required for the Annual meeting.
  • The Board received a visit from Maureen Sullivan, candidate for ALA President. Sullivan indicated she does not have a significant background in technical services, and would look to ALCTS for guidance and opinion in this area. Her platform emphasizes advancing collaborative leadership, enhancing learning, advancing literacy, and becoming more engaged with global partnerships. The other candidate, Sue Stroyan, was expected to visit the Monday meeting.

CRS general discussion (Moeller)

  • Whitacre and ALCTS President-Elect Betsy Simpson visited the committee to discuss the ALCTS restructuring. ALCTS is moving forward with incremental reshaping, rather than waiting for a comprehensive plan. The first change was to appoint an Interest Group Coordinator (Dale Swensen) to facilitate interest group activity across the division. Virtual meetings are taking place throughout the division and need to be explored further. The ALCTS Organization & Bylaws Committee has been charged with developing a formal section evaluation plan. CRS will not be part of the first round of evaluations.
  • The committee further discussed the Reshaping ALCTS' Future plan and the reasons for it. ALCTS has not been reorganized since 1988, and our work and needs as an association have changed. The Reshaping report was based on approximately 200 member responses. Much of the change appeared to be motivated by the need for better communication within ALCTS. Meg Mering expressed surprise that more radical change had not been proposed. Whitacre stated that the Board tried to be responsive to member concerns, and that CRS members had been particularly vocal about wanting to sustain a distinct presence within ALCTS. There were also reservations from the ALCTS Membership Committee about membership being conflated with leadership development, as it was in all reshaping scenarios. The Membership Committee considered these to be related but separate. Connie Foster reminded the committee that the section can reorganize itself on its own initiative, and that the CRS Policy & Planning Committee wanted to look at all committes across the section for overlap with CRS activities and potential areas for internal reshaping.
  • Moeller mentioned some issues with virtual participation that arose during the CRS committee meetings. In particular, it was difficult for virtual members to join a live committee meeting by conference call because  of the limited communication infrastructure in the meeting rooms and a shared meeting space that was not conducive to a call. Mering indicated a desire to hear more from committee chairs about their virtual membership experiences. Each group will have different needs and expectations with respect to virtual participation, and will need to define for itself what virtual participation will entail. Moeller added that the appointments database should be reviewed and possibly changed to address diverse needs for in-person and virtual participation. Some committee chairs mentioned having difficulty engaging virtual members in the work of the group, despite ongoing encouragement. Moeller reminded chairs that they can request that non-participating members (virtual or otherwise) not be reappointed, or even removed from a committee assignment. Volunteers agree to do the work of the committee when they accept an appointment, and committee leadership should feel empowered to ask a reasonable level of participation from all members on an ongoing basis.
  • The committee discussed ALCTS' proposed changes to conference scheduling. The major changes involve the ALCTS Board meetings, which would occur Friday afternoon and Monday afternoon of the conference, and the section-level Executive Committee meetings, which would follow immediately after the regular committee meetings. Simpson mentioned that stable no-conflict times are easy to communicate to the membership, and are more convenient for members who come to the conference only to fulfill committee obligations. Foster appreciated the simplicity of the new schedule and the fact that Executive Committee meetings would have less conflict with ALCTS programs.

    
Reports and action items (see all CRS committee and interest group reports)

  • Committee Chairs
    • Jennifer Young, Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee: The CRCC task force just finished testing of RDA, report just came out. The testers produced 63 bibliographic and 43 authority records, including some new, some copy, and some maintenance. Overall consensus reflected ambivalence about adoption of RDA. The informal test had 25 participants, and responses were submitted through a survey. Most participants were not CONSER members. CRCC is considering scheduling their regular update forum as a webinar instead of, or possibly in addition to, the live forum. Moeller reminded the committee that if holding an update forum at every conference is onerous, the committee is not obligated to do so.
    • Betty Landesman, First Step Award Jury: The award jury received one application, and did not recommend an award because serials were not addressed in the nomination. A low nomination rate and problematic applications are a regular occurrence in recent years. Moeller noted that the eligibility requirements ask for ALCTS members who have never attended ALA before, which is a small pool. Landesman added that the award is for work in the “serials field,” language that might discourage potential applicants whose job responsibilities are much broader. The Executive Committee welcomes any suggestions from the First Step Committee regarding these changes.
  • Representatives
    • Lila (Angie) Ohler, rep to ALCTS Program Committee: The Program Committee is looking forward to working with the new ALCTS Interest Group Coordinator and a new program/interest group session plan to avoid scheduling competing content in time slots. Ohler felt this development would lead to programming that is better thought out and coordinated, particularly given how much content is now emanating from interest groups. Ohler encouraged members and committees to plan programs for 2012. For the 2012 program timeline, preliminary proposals should be submitted at Annual 2011 and formalized by next Midwinter. Late-breaking programs that are well thought out by Midwinter can also be fast-tracked. A how-to for the process is posted on the ALCTS website; the Program Committee is hopeful that a more transparent and streamlined process will be more approachable. The committee has requested that the Program Committee chair be a two-year appointment with a co-chair and staggered terms.
    • Lynda Wright, rep to ALCTS Membership Committee: The committee held a Saturday reception and will be repeating ALCTS 101 at Annual.  The committee is also working with New Members Round Table. Outreach to public libraries is ongoing but has been a success – there is now a Public Libraries Interest Group within ALCTS. Outreach to library schools has been ad hoc, and could become more efficient and effective.
    • Linda Smith-Griffin, rep to NASIG: The annual NASIG conference will be held June 2-5, 2011 in St. Louis.

 

More...

Pages

Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS) Continuing Resources Section (CRS) Executive Committee

Subscribe to ALCTS CRS Executive Committee (Continuing Resources Section)