Syndicate content

ACRL EBSS Advisory Council Committee

In: ACRL EBSS (Education & Behavioral Science Section)
View:   Faces | List

Online Doc EBSS Advisory Council Minutes, Midwinter Meeting 2018

by Samantha Godbey on Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 12:49 pm

EBSS Advisory Midwinter Meeting Minutes 2018

Day and Time: iday January 12, 2018, 12:00 pm PST/3:00 EST

Location/Mode: Virtual via WebEx

Convener: Joyce Garczynski

Minute taker: Samantha Godbey



EBSS Advisory Midwinter Meeting Minutes 2018

Day and Time: iday January 12, 2018, 12:00 pm PST/3:00 EST

Location/Mode: Virtual via WebEx

Convener: Joyce Garczynski

Minute taker: Samantha Godbey



Present: Joyce Garczynski (Chair), Jill Erin Morningstar (Vice-Chair), Kaya Van Beynen (Past-Chairperson), Samantha Godbey (Secretary), Dorinne E. Banks, Paul L. Belloni, Jodie L. Borgerding , Stephanie R. Davis-Kahl, Rachael Elrod, Sarah W. French, Diane M. Fulkerson, Deborah B. Gaspar, Mandy L. Havert, Andrea Hebert, April Marie Hines, Alex R. Hodges, Anita Kuiken, Cassandra Kvenild, Qunying Li, Amanda Melilli, Catherine Helen Michael, Kimberly Miller, Tina Mullins, Nancy P. O'Brien, Amanda L. W. Ziegler, Daniel P. Zuberbier

Not present: Katherine Eileen Boss, Callie Wiygul Branstiter, Yu-Hui Chen, Christina Cicchetti, Scott Collard, Bernadette A. Lear, Amber A. Prentiss, James W. Rosenzweig, Elena M. Soltau, Heidi E.K. Senior, Todd Shipman



Call to order (Garczynski) - 3:00

Approval of agenda – Agenda was approved

Minutes for Annual Meeting were approved virtually after Annual. (


Officer Reports

Chair (Garczynski)- Joyce has been cleaning up rosters on website (wrong chair, etc. – information is now pulling directly from ACRL platform). Also working on social media presence – promoting EBSS via Facebook page, etc. with goal of increasing membership.

Proposal not accepted for program for ALA annual this year (200% increase for submissions for ALA annual).

Advisory will be meeting virtually for annual this year. Each committee will be able to decide whether to hold in-person or virtual meeting.

Vice-Chair (Jill Morningstar) – Jill has been meeting with each of the chairs – will be contacting chairs re: follow-up items from those meetings.

Past Chair (Kaya Van Beynen) – Has some swag but is not coming to ALA Annual, needs to send it to someone – Kaya and Nancy will communicate after to coordinate sending it to a local committee member.  

Secretary (Samantha Godbey) – Samantha reminded chairs to send agendas and minutes to her. She will be contacting chairs re: missing items in the coming weeks.

Members-at-Large (Cass Kvenild) - 24 attendees at fall discussion. Cass and Yu-Hui will be organizing spring discussion soon


Committee Reports

50th Anniversary committee (Nancy O’Brien)

  • Event will be June 22, 6:00 pm, Redfish Grill in New Orleans, $10 paid admission fee

  • 2 sponsors, working on more

Awards (Stephanie Davis-Kahl)

  • Committee is reviewing applications for latest cycle of APA travel award

  • Reviewed nominations for distinguished librarian – will be notifying recipient today, official announcement by ALA Press Office in March

  • Not as many nominations as they’d hoped, maybe something to discuss in future

Communications Studies (April Hines)

  • Interviewing journalism professors, students re: information gathering

  • Finalizing interview questions, working on IRB approval, 5 interviews for each committee member – will translate those into learning objectives

  • Also working on media tour for New Orleans

Conference Program Planning--New Orleans, 2018 (Deborah Gaspar)

  • Switching over to forum format – program not accepted, looking for panelists/librarians who work to create safe spaces

  • Look for call on listserv in the next week

Curriculum Materials (Amanda Melilli)

  • Finalizing edits on guide for CMCs

  • Next, looking at gathering resources for CMCs in response to need for prof development on marketing CMC collections

Education (Dorinne  Banks, Alex Hodges)

  • Have been working on three projects – first is Slack channel for committee workspace (complete)

  • (in process) with Online Research Committee – creating best practices for working with online and distance students

  • (in future) covering subdisciplines (e.g. special ed, international education) – creating frameworks or collection dev policies for these – looking for collaborations across EBSS

Education Research Libraries Discussion Group – No report

Electronic Resources in Communication Studies (Catherine Michael)

  • Library Resources for Communications Studies LibGuide in final stages – publication committee review in March, to be published by annual

Higher Education (Sarah French)

  • Published article in fall newsletter re: Systematic Reviews

  • Designing survey items for EBSS membership to determine next project -- Competencies of interest to librarians, topics for which librarians provide instruction

Instruction for Educators – Dan Zuberbier and Diane Fulkerson

  • Currently updating Info Lit standards for Teacher Education (last revised 2011)

  • This fall – annotated bibliography to familiarize re: threshold concepts

  • Working on platform/format for standards crosswalk to framework and connecting to education standards, hopefully complete by March, then lit review

Membership (Qunying Li)

  • Completed a membership survey – most people get to know EBSS by co-workers

Nominating Committee

  • No report

  • Make any suggestions for positions to Kaya

Online Learning (Amanda Ziegler)

  • Collaborating with Education Committee on libguide re: best practices for librarians working with online students

Psychology (Kimberly Miller)

  • Working on background research for updating Psychology info lit standards, framework companion document

Publications (Jodie Borgerding)

  • Planning to revamp design of newsletter in honor of EBSS 50th

  • Kaya noted – ACRL logo/branding will require caution

  • Hoping to include EBSS Timeline, interviews with people involved in the section, any help or ideas/suggestions for the 50th anniversary part of the newsletter from members would be helpful

  • Send suggestions for content and interviews for the 50th Anniversary issue to Emily Darowski (Newsletter Editor) at

  • Per Jodie, if creating or heavily revising content on a libguide, definitely send to committee for review. If doing something smaller, still let Publications Committee know, and they can do a light review.

ERIC Users (Paul Belloni)

  • ERIC has launched new widget – committee is working on promoting this, providing feedback

  • Looking at incomplete libguide previously worked on by past committee members.

Reference Sources (Rachael Elrod)

  • Working on a survey for postsecondary faculty and students in the area of education and perceptions about online research. Going through IRB approval, distributing through their own campuses. Will be asking EBSS members to help in distribution of survey. Also, committee is requesting funds from EBSS for incentives (see Other Business below).

Research (Samantha Godbey)

  • Committee is gearing up to work on the Research Forum this spring.

  • Surveyed membership via listserv and decided to keep last year’s lightning talk format and a separate event. In the future, the committee has the option to join the larger ALA poster session.

Scholarly Communication (Mandy Havert)

  • Sent an open access email on listserv around open access week

  • Plan to reach out to publishers re: their plans for effecting change in schol comm environment

  • Working on a scholarly communication toolkit for libguide

Social work – No report


Other Business

Budget requests (total budget = $1370 for the year):

  • Reference Sources request for money for incentives – ~$100

    • Debbie thought it was a good idea

  • 50th Anniversary Committee (cost of event = $6000 – already have 2 corporate sponsors for $4000, need as much as possible from EBSS)

  • Feedback can be sent directly to Joyce. Decisions will be made at Exec Committee meeting next week

Transforming Listserv Administrator position to a Communication Manager position

  • Call for new listserv administrator got no interest

  • Possibility of transitioning this to broader role as Communications Manager who would manage social media presence and be in charge of broad communications strategies for section,  move to part of Publications Committee, with involvement with Membership Committee

  • Comments:

  • Alex Hodges – possibility of Slack or other more contemporary format

  • Tina Mullins – good idea – longer term?

  • Nancy O’Brien recommended putting together a full position description

  • Next step – Joyce will craft position description to share with Advisory for feedback

Time to encourage EBSS members to volunteer for 2018-2019 committees


Meeting Adjourned: 12:56 PST/ 3:56 EST


Online Doc EBSS Advisory Council Midwinter Meeting Agenda 2018

by Joyce Garczynski on Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 10:04 am

EBSS Advisory Midwinter Meeting Agenda 2018

Day and Time:   Friday January 12, 2018 at 3:00 pm EST

Connection Instructions:

Meeting number (access code): 637 814 880 Meeting password: EBSS


1-877-668-4490 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada)

1-408-792-6300 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)

Online Doc EBSS Advisory Council Minutes, ALA Annual 2017

by Ericka Raber on Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 01:13 pm

EBSS Advisory Annual Meeting Minutes 2017 

Day and Time:   Sunday, June 25, 2017, 3:00 CST

EBSS Advisory Annual Meeting Minutes 2017 

Day and Time:   Sunday, June 25, 2017, 3:00 CST

Location/Mode: in person, ALA Annual, Chicago Hilton, Chicago
Convener: Kaya van Beynen
Minute taker: Ericka Raber
Members Present: Laura Bonella, Yu-Hui Chen, Scott Collard, Rachel Elrod, Deborah Gaspar, Samantha Godbey, Cass Kvenild, Jill Morningstar, Nancy O’Brien, Ericka Raber, James Rosenzweig, Cheri Smith, Kaya van Beynen

Members Excused: Tiffany Baglier,Dorinne Banks,Jodi Borgerding, Katherine Boss, Christina Cicchetti, Stephanie Davis-Kahl, Damecia Donahue, Sarah French, Joyce Garczynski, April Hines, Alex Hodges, Bernadette Lear, Dana Peterman, Heidi Senior, Elena Soltau, Judy Walker


Call to order (van Beynen) – van Beynen called meeting to order at 3:00.

Approval of the agenda (van Beynen) –Agenda was approved; additions: next year’s conference program ideas.

Minutes (van Beynen; Raber)

Minutes for Midwinter EBSS Advisory Council: These were approved virtually after Midwinter.


Chair: (K. van Beynen): Money for section available: ~$600. Kaya reported for Elena Soltau (Membership) that membership is steady with a small increase. Boxes of swag (post-its and clips) were available at ACRL 101.

Vice Chair: (J. Garczynski) – Joyce reported via email that there were 156 volunteers for committees. 89 appointments offered, and 87 appointments accepted.

Secretary: (E. Raber) – Reminder to committee chairs to submit minutes for Midwinter 2017 and Annual 2017, when approved.

Past Chair: (B. Lear) – No report. Will discuss updates to EBSS Manual at Executive Board meeting.

Members At-Large: (J. Morningstar; Y-H. Chen) – Two webinars were offered during last year: OERs and Systematic Reviews. OER session was too introductory for audience; Jill recommends clarifying expectations with presenter in advance of session. We may want to revisit more advanced discussion of OERs in future. Systematic Reviews session was well received.



50th Anniversary Committee (S. Collard, N. O’Brien) –Anniversary celebration will be held in New Orleans, ALA Annual, 2018, 6:30, Friday night. Celebration will be combined with social event; looking for sponsorship. Expecting ~70 people. Pre-registration fee: $10. Cost estimate for event: ~$50/person = ~$3500. There will be a brief talk from Chair. Consider thematic link with EBSS Program. Revenue sources: ticket cost, vendor, EBSS general funds.

Awards (S. Davis-Kahl) –Kaya reported that ACRL Board will discuss at this conference proposal to keep unfunded Distinguished Librarian Award.

No Other Committee Reports


Budget-- ~$600. Discussion in favor of supporting purchase of swag for 50th Anniversary event and ACRL scholarship for conference attendance. Discussion of possibly using funds for incentive money for Reference Committee research project: faculty survey of Education resources. It was determined that the research project was not far enough along to be able to make use of funds by Aug. deadline.

SITES Liaison Kaya reported that EBSS is looking for a SITES liaison. SITES is the Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education. The liaison must be a member of both organizations, and attend both conferences.

Action Item: Kaya will put out a call to EBSS for SITES liaison.

2018 Conference Program  Discussion of program topics. EBSS will need to identify a section to partner with. Topic should have a broad interest. Impactful Partnerships program with University Libraries Section at this conference was well received. Ideas: systematic reviews (perhaps with ANSS); research methodologies expanding into behavioral sciences; charter schools; library’s impact on student retention; media training (for faculty: how to talk about research; for library staff: how to handle a crisis)

Action Item: Deborah Gaspar, Chair of the Conference Program Planning Committee will work to find a partnering section to sponsor program idea.

Adjournment (K. van Beynen) Meeting adjourned at 3:45. 


Online Doc EBSS Advisory Council ALA Midwinter 2017 Minutes

by Ericka Raber on Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 04:09 pm

Minutes from the EBSS Advisory Council ALA Midwinter 2017 meeting, held virtually Jan. 20, 2017, 2:00pm via WebEx.

Online Doc EBSS Advisory Council Minutes, ALA Midwinter, 2016

by Ericka Raber on Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 08:22 am

Approved Minutes from EBSS Advisory Council, ALA Midwinter, 2016, Jan. 11, 3:00pm

Online Doc EBSS New Leaders OR Welcome to Advisory Council Mtg. Docs and Links

by Dana Peterman on Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 11:42 am

Contained in this post are:

*The ACRL EBSS Advisory Council New Leader Orientation presentation document in PDF format from the June 23, 2016 orientation (one slide with corrected institutional information for a member) titled ebss_newleaders_2016_final.pdf .

Contained in this post are:

*The ACRL EBSS Advisory Council New Leader Orientation presentation document in PDF format from the June 23, 2016 orientation (one slide with corrected institutional information for a member) titled ebss_newleaders_2016_final.pdf .

*ACRL link to the ACRL EBSS Advisory Council New Leader Orientation Recording (1:05PM CST; Duration: 00:55:26 minutes; which requires Shockwave plugin and works best in Firefox

*ACRL EBSS Advisory Council New Leader Orientation Chat transcript (4 pages) in DOCX format titled ACRL EBSS Advisory Council New Leader Orientation Chat 160623.docx 

*Web information sheet for new chairs (1 page) submitted by Web Managers Sara Memmott and Tina Mullins in DOC format titled EBSSWebInfoSheet2016-17.doc 

The link to the 2016 version of the EBSS Manual (PDF format is the nicest) is 

Title:   ACRL EBSS Advisory Council New Leader Orientation

Recording Date:   06/23/2016 1:05PM CST

Duration:  00:55:26 minutes



Online Doc EBSS Advisory Council Minutes, ALA Annual, 2015

by Ericka Raber on Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:18 am

These minutes were approved at ALA Midwinter 2016 meeting on 1/11/16.

Online Doc Draft Minutes, EBSS Advis Cmte Annual 2015 Meeting

by Bernadette Lear on Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 02:57 pm

These are the draft minutes from the EBSS Advisory Committee's 2015 Annual Meeting (on June 28, 2015). To be approved at the committee's 2016 Midwinter Meeting on January 11, 2016) 

Online Doc EBSS Advisory Committee Agenda, MW 2016

by Bernadette Lear on Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 02:48 pm

EBSS Advisory Committee

Date and time: Monday, January 11, 2016, 3:00 p.m. EST

Location: Online at

Call to order (B. Lear)

Approval of the agenda (B. Lear)

Minutes (B. Lear/S. Raber)

Officer Reports

EBSS Advisory Committee

Date and time: Monday, January 11, 2016, 3:00 p.m. EST

Location: Online at

Call to order (B. Lear)

Approval of the agenda (B. Lear)

Minutes (B. Lear/S. Raber)

Officer Reports

  • Chair (B. Lear)
  • Vice-Chair (K. Van Beynen)
  • Past-Chair (D. Peterman)
  • Secretary (E. Raber)
  • Members-at-Large (M. Feeney and J. Morningstar)
  • Webmaster (S. Memmott)

Committee Reports (Note: If you cannot attend, please send your committee reports directly to Ericka Raber,, and post to ALA Connect,

  • Awards (D. Schaeffer)
  • Communication Studies (J. Garczynski)
  • Conference Program Planning (B. Lear)
  • Curriculum Materials (R. Pauly and F. Steele)
  • Electronic Resources in Communication Studies (D. Donahue and H. Senior)
  • ERIC Users (T. Baglier and K. Farmer)
  • Higher Education (K. Downing)
  • Instruction for Educators (S. Godbey)
  • Membership and Orientation (E. Soltau)
  • Nominating (S. Collard)
  • Online Learning Research (L. Bonella)
  • Psychology (C. Smith)
  • Publications and Communications (J. Borgerding)
  • Reference Sources and Services (K. Angell and C. Cicchetti)
  • Research Committee (C. Kvenild)
  • Scholarly Communication Committee (E. Raber)
  • Social Work/Social Welfare (K. Pendell)

Old Business

New Business

  • Proposed changes to EBSS awards (D. Schaeffer) -- Should EBSS ignore ACRL’s policy about funding awards and “go rogue” (offer its own non-monetary citations)?
  • Spending 2015 funds (B. Lear) -- If our All Committees/Consolidated meeting only runs from 10:00am-11:30am, should we still provide breakfast? Should we provide a giveaway item instead?

Concerns and ideas for 2016-2017 (All Attendees)

Announcements (All Attendees)

Other Items (All Attendees)

Adjournment (B. Lear)



Online Doc EBSS Chair's Report, MW 2016

by Bernadette Lear on Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 02:41 pm

This is the Midwinter 2016 report of the EBSS Chair to the EBSS Advisory and Executive Committees. 


To provide a forum for reporting, discussing, and coordinating the work of the section’s standing and special committees.


Subscribe to ACRL EBSS Advisory Council