Syndicate content

ALA Committee on Membership Meetings Committee

In: ALA Governance, Membership

New ALA Connect Project Implementation Update – September 12, 2017

While we are working to bring the new ALA Connect online, we have made the existing ALA Connect available again to make group, committee, and community updates, share documents, and other tasks at http://connect.ala.org .  Any data entered there will be migrated to the new ALA Connect before launch.

Hi.  Based on the feedback we've received I've updated the questionnaire. (See the attachment below.)

Please be sure to advise Lois Anne and/or me of any final changes by Wednesday, May 31, so we can build the survey into the VMM production. Unfortunately, we will not be able to accommodate any changes after May 31.

Your work and help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lois Ann and Ron

 

21
View:   Faces | List

Discussion VMM16 Post-Event Analysis & Survey Results

by Lois Ann Gregory-Wood (staff) on Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 04:20 pm

Hi, All,

 

Attached are the VMM16 Post-Event Analysis & Survey Results.

 

Thanks,

Lois Ann

Discussion COMM 2015 Annual Report of Activities for ALA Council and ALA Membership

by Mike Marlin on Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 04:58 pm

Attached please find the Committee on Membership Meetings annual report of activities for the conclusion of the 2014-15 ALA year. AT its peak there were 118 ALA members in attendance at the Annual Membership Meeting. Let's hope we can double this number in 2016!

Discussion Notes from June 26, 2015 COMM Meeting at ALA Annual Conference in San Francisco

by Mike Marlin on Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 04:53 pm

Attached please find notes from our meeting at the 2015 Annual conference in San Francisco.

Event ALA Committee on Membership Meetings

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:44 am

This is a COMM business meeting.

Discussion Notes from January 30 COMM Meeting at 2015 Midwinter Chicago Conference

by Mike Marlin on Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 08:44 pm

Dear COMM members,

 

Attached please find the notes from our 2015 ALA Midwinter meeting  in Chicago. We had a very spirited discussion among the five of us in attendance, and now we all must begin work in earnest as the 2015 meetings loom in the near future.

 

Please read through these notes and let me know if you have any questions or comments. I am putting together the COMM Midwinter report to Council and will send out a draft to COMM Email  and Connect space soon.

 

Dear COMM members,

 

Attached please find the notes from our 2015 ALA Midwinter meeting  in Chicago. We had a very spirited discussion among the five of us in attendance, and now we all must begin work in earnest as the 2015 meetings loom in the near future.

 

Please read through these notes and let me know if you have any questions or comments. I am putting together the COMM Midwinter report to Council and will send out a draft to COMM Email  and Connect space soon.

 

I would like to enlist volunteers to help write publicity blurbs  for the types of short communications we discussed in Chicago. If you can help with this task, please let me know as soon as possible. I will check with Ron and Lois Ann about when exactly to start the publicity blitz for the June 4 Virtual meeting, but I’m guessing in April? The biggest thing to get across is why is participation in virtual or real-time membership meetings important? You could write from your perspective as an ALA member about why membership meetings matter.

 

We will also want to hold at least one if not a few more COMM teleconferences this Spring. I’ll work with Ron and Lois Ann to conduct Doodle polls to set these up and hope everyone is able to participate.

 

That’s it for now. I apologize for being off the grid but my trip to Germany for IFL A meetings right after Midwinter  has set me behind a few weeks in all capacities. Look for the draft COMM report soon. Thanks.

 

Mike L.  Marlin

Director, California Braille and Talking Book Library

2014-15 Chair, ALA Committee on Membership Meetings

ALA Councilor At Large

ALA/ASCLA Representative to IFLA Libraries Serving Persons with Print

Disabilities

Sacramento, CA

Work

: Email: mike.marlin@library.ca.gov

Tel:((916) 651-0812

Home:

Email: : mmarlin13@gmail.com

Mobile: (916) 243-9778)

 

 

More...

Event ALA Committee on Membership Meetings

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 02:56 pm

The committee's business meeting.

More information about this conference session

File COMM report Annual 2014

by Peter Hepburn on Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 01:25 pm

DOCX File, 15.97 KB

Online Doc Notes from April 21, 2014 COMM conference call

by Peter Hepburn on Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 02:19 pm

Committee on Membership Meetings

Notes:  conference call

April 21, 2014

 

Discussion centered on three topic areas:

 

Publicity

Committee on Membership Meetings

Notes:  conference call

April 21, 2014

 

Discussion centered on three topic areas:

 

Publicity

  • Ron Jankowski outlined the steps taken to date and the steps to come in publicizing the virtual membership meeting.
  • The real push for promoting the meeting will start on April 28.
  • Jankowski directed participants in the call to the virtual membership meeting page.  Committee members should review the page and send feedback to Jankowski and Lois Ann Gregory Wood by end of day Friday.

 

Topics for the virtual membership meeting

  • Peter Hepburn updated the committee on conversation he had had with Barbara Stripling regarding two topics areas:  diversity and the presidential strategic initiative.
  • Participants reviewed the brainstormed topics shared in a February 19 e-mail shared around the committee.
    • MOOCs/Online education and doing more with less were the  only two topics with multiple mentions in the list of topics
    • The committee decided to present the virtual membership meeting participants with a half-dozen topics to vote on.  The strategic initiative will be broken into its components to provide three topics.  The final list is as follows:
      • Diversity (especially with reference to the joint statement on Orlando 2016)
      • Doing more with less
      • Information policy
      • Library advocacy
      • MOOCs/Online education
      • Professional development
      • Other (please suggest)

 

Other

  • Resolutions that do not get voted on by the end of the virtual membership meeting die.  Should the movers wish the resolution to return, it must be introduced as a new resolution at a future membership meeting.
  • Committee members will need to fill dead air in the virtual membership meeting.
  • Keep the conversation going by having responses or questions at hand, even if it’s as simple as saying, “I didn’t know about that – can anyone else tell me what they know about it?”
  • At the membership meeting at annual, committee members will be needed to take the head count throughout.
More...

Online Doc Notes from March 24 COMM conference call

by Peter Hepburn on Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 11:55 am

ALA Committee on Membership Meetings

Conference Call, March 24, 2014

NOTES

 

Given the recent statement from the Black Caucus of ALA and the subsequent joint statement from ALA President Barbara Stripling and the ethnic caucuses, the Committee had a discussion of diversity as a starting point for a themed conversation in the Virtual Membership Meeting.

ALA Committee on Membership Meetings

Conference Call, March 24, 2014

NOTES

 

Given the recent statement from the Black Caucus of ALA and the subsequent joint statement from ALA President Barbara Stripling and the ethnic caucuses, the Committee had a discussion of diversity as a starting point for a themed conversation in the Virtual Membership Meeting.

  • Of concern was whether diversity was too broad and unfocused a topic.  For example, would the meeting address diversity in the association or in the profession as a whole?
  • The Committee felt that subtopics within diversity would be better to address, such as concrete ways for the association to approach diversity matters.
  • Another possibility was for there to be discussion at the meeting of the relationship between the stand your ground laws at the center of the statements and libraries and the association.

 

There is interest from the ethnic caucuses that there be opportunities for resolutions to come forward at the membership meetings as a way of addressing specific concerns.

  • In terms of the Virtual Membership Meeting, there has never been a resolution brought forward.  A tribute style resolution could make for a relatively easy test of the logistics.  A resolution with a call to action could turn out to be messy from a practical perspective, however.  The mechanisms for debate and for making amendments would be challenging.
  • Ron has a document in Connect that outlines the process for resolutions.  He will edit it to reflect this year’s meeting dates and ensure that it is shared broadly with membership.

 

Promotion of the Virtual Membership Meeting will begin around April 12-15.

  • ALA Executive Director Keith Michael Fiels will send an initial e-mail to ALA Council.
  • Barbara Stripling will then send out an e-mail blast inviting the membership to participate.
  • Ron Jankowski/ALA staff will send out subsequent reminder blasts.
  • Information on the meeting will be posted on Connect, the members blog, chapters blog, AL Direct, and via Press Release.
  • Divisions and Round Tables will be encouraged to co-promote the meeting
  • COMM can work its own networks from there

 

Mario Gonzalez will not be giving the Treasurer’s report at the VMM

  • Pat Wand from BARC will take care of that instead

 

A list of topics is needed by no later than April 15

  • COMM will need to think about how to frame diversity in relation to it being a potential topic.
  • Peter will talk with Barbara Stripling about diversity as a topic.

 

Peter let the committee know that Barbara Stripling is seeking a committee representative to serve on a diversity and equity task force to be established.

 

There was a separate question about whether the membership meeting can be lengthened to allow for more debate on topics.  This is something for the committee to consider in the future.

 

More...

Online Doc Notes from February 19 COMM conference call

by Peter Hepburn on Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 04:39 pm

Committee on Membership Meetings (COMM)

Notes:  conference call

February 19, 2014

 

Theme for the Virtual Membership Meeting (VMM)

Committee on Membership Meetings (COMM)

Notes:  conference call

February 19, 2014

 

Theme for the Virtual Membership Meeting (VMM)

  • COMM members discussed such things for a theme as providing more service with fewer staff.
    • In a previous year there had been a list of 15 potential topics shared with registrants
    • The top three selected were community engagement, digital issues, and budget
  • COMM discussed gathering a list of topics one week before the VMM and sharing with Barbara Stripling and Keith Michael Fiels
  • During the conference call, Barbara e-mailed Peter regarding using the Reimagining ALA initiative as a focus for membership meetings
    • This was also suggested as a possibility by the committee members
    • The three focus points were library advocacy, information policy, and professional/leadership development.
    • Peter connected with Barbara post-meeting.  She agreed that it would be good to emphasize Reimagining ALA at both membership meetings.  Peter suggested that the themes from the initiative could be among the topics at the VMM.
    • Peter will follow up with Barbara.

 

Resolutions

  • COMM will need to promote the process, the earlier the better.  At this point, the process is not well-known.
  • Ron will post documents in ALA Connect regarding resolutions at the VMM

 

Spicing it up

  • The committee discussed using images or clips or similar things.  The VMM theme would influence which files might be used.
  • Ron and Lois Ann will follow up on how to do this with staff at ALA.

 

Publicity

  • Promotion starts in early April
  • The committee will focus on this in the March conference call
  • The committee still likes the idea of viewing/participation parties
    • Parties could share photos on Twitter
    • These could also be used at Annual to promote as well as “jazz up” the in-person meeting.

 

 

Next conference call TBD

More...

Pages

To plan the agenda for the membership meetings specified in ALA Policy 7.4.7; to identify potential discussion topics for the membership meetings; to educate the membership about the purposes of the membership meeting and the opportunities it offers members; to identify and recommend incentives for attendance; to advise staff on logistics for membership meetings; to oversee publicity plans for membership meetings; to assess the effectiveness of the membership meetings in addressing the ALA membership's needs; and to recommend changes in light of that assessment.

Subscribe to ALA Committee on Membership Meetings