Warning message

ALA Connect User logins are disabled for a temporary "gray-out" period, to prevent new posts while we upgrade into the New Connect. This gray-out period will begin on March 26th, and the new site will be launched on April 25th.

Users can use Search to view public content. Logins will be reinstated and users can create new posts, upload files, etc. post launch.

Thank you for your patience in cooperation. Check out training resources and schedule at:
http://www.ala.org/support/alaconnect

Or contact Julianna Kloeppel for training or Pam Akins with questions/concerns.
Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Meeting Request
Suggestion
Joanna Kimmitt's picture

1 June 2017 - Meeting Agenda & Notes

Meeting Agenda & Notes June 1, 2017

In attendance: Becky Yoose, Jason Griffey, Katherine Boden, Ranti Junus, Melody Condron, Cody Hanson, Jason Battles

 

Housekeeping

  • Remind sub-committee members they do not have to attend Steering Committee meetings - only chairs need to attend although all are welcome.
  • Anyone using Slack channel? If so, how are you using it?
  • We will start meeting monthly to start - I will send a new Doodle Poll after today’s meeting

 

Conference Theme - Discussion

Must fit with vision of "a welcoming, thoughtful conference with hands-on experiences and leadership training"

  • Should be set before RFP
    • Melody will create a document with this year’s RFP where we can discuss this further
      • “Build Something, Experience First-Hand”
      • “Engage”

 

RFP Review & Timeline

  • Avoid election or week[end] before
  • Is it desired, and if so is it possible, to have a quiet room?
    • Dedicated quiet room as well as a room for nursing mothers to pump milk?
  • If childcare is onsite, room for them?
  • Depending on program, spaces for impromptu unconferences or BoFs
  • Concierge services
  • Tech needs, and guarantees if they don’t meet them
  • Catering
    • What events need to be catered
    • What does the budget look like if attendee count is much lower or higher than expected
    • What are the costs of particular events (so we can put them in the sponsor prospectus)
    • What are the opportunity costs - are there events where we are willing to forego catering in order to fund awesome things we couldn’t otherwise have
    • What are the options for meeting various dietary needs (food allergies, gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, kosher, halal…)
    • And labeling the food for allergens or ingredients!

 

Review Responsibilities & Expectations Document

 

Roll Call for Sub-Committees

  • Accessibility - has started brainstorming, will need additional people
  • Assessment (no report)
  • Local Arrangement (no report)
  • Marketing & Web - has started brainstorming, will need additional people
  • Programming - needs people & wrapping brain around openness of changes
  • Sponsorship (no report)
  • Streaming/Recording - needs more members
  • Conference UX - working on brainstorming & needs members
    • Becky has a possible recruitment plan, but needs some vetting before launching into world domination mode.

Homework

  • Chairs meet with Jason & Melody - Melody will send Doodle polls
    • Review sub-committee guiding document
    • Discuss sub-committee members and how many needed by when
    • Discuss possible timelines/deadlines
  • Each Sub-Committee should have a folder in the 2018 Forum Folder
    • Create brainstorming document if needed
    • Start meeting with your group
  • Build your team & let us know if you need help - contact Andromeda to get “official” committee appointment for new people
  • Cody will follow up with Jenny about use of the Slack channel litaforum.slack.com
  • Conference UX/Accessibility brainstorm for post-election impact at the conference

 

Other Business?