Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Meeting Request
Suggestion
Paul Kelly (non-member)'s picture

2017 May Executive Board Meeting Agenda and Minutes

2017 May Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, May 17th, 6:00 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

1. Call to Order

Action: None

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No
6:
00 (5m)

 

Minutes: Meeting called to order at 6:05 pm EST. All present, except Liz DeCoster.

 

2. Approval of Agenda and Minutes

Action: Approve agenda for the April 2017 Executive Board meeting. Approval of minutes from the May 2017 Executive Board meeting. (Link: http://connect.ala.org/node/266454

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote:No
6:05 (5m)

 

3. Treasurer’s Report and Budget

Action: Update from the Treasurer

Item Facilitator: Liz DeCoster

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Liz will provide her monthly update on the Round Table’s finances.

6:10 (5m)

 

4. Executive Board Meeting Agenda for Annual

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote:No

Supporting Information: The Board will discuss the agenda for the GLBTRT Executive Board meeting at ALA Annual 2017.


6:20 (10m)

 

Minutes: Deb wanted to talk about structure of the membership meeting. What do we want to prioritize regarding those agenda? Ann - April minutes details several agenda items for the annual executive board meeting. Social media policy, June is GLBT Book Club, adding Open to All (advocacy). New conference planning will also be discussed at both meetings. Ana Elisa - exec board, she and David want to update the charge of the news committee. Ann - midwinter social should be on the agenda, too. David - also annual; based on prior experience, it can be very complicated. Ann - progress report from the emerging leaders. Perhaps they can bring their posters to the meeting and talk about what they’ve been working on? For both meetings? Recommendations for handoff to the next team? Ann - did we put in for an emerging leader next year? Deb has not heard back yet. Any need to talk about the golden jubilee timeline meeting? Meeting times schedule for 2017-18. 

 

5. Membership Meeting Agenda for Annual including facilitating a name change discussion

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote:No

Supporting Information: The Board will discuss the agenda for the GLBTRT Membership meeting at ALA Annual 2017. This will include the introduction of the proposed GLBTRT name change to the membership.
6:25 (10m)

 

Minutes: Membership meeting - EL report; name change discussion (put the names on posters and post-its, with blank ones for other ideas, have people choose their top three - allocate 25 minutes to it - three people get colored dots (green, yellow, red?); Peter - as we start the conversation, we should highlight how our name has evolved. Peter will handle that part of it. Deb will discuss how this got started and how we solicited suggestions. 11 total names came up. Some of them are very close to one another. Should we list all 11? Yes. Or should we reduce it before it goes to a vote? Ann - what happens if we change the roundtable name to GLBT book month? We should put the 11 names as an attachment to the meeting agenda. Jen will figure out the dot system. Ana Elisa - we should award the lion’s share of the meeting towards this. Should we put this last, to make sure we address everything else? Emerging leaders towards the beginning. David - we need to talk about reaching out for elections to cultivate a more diverse candidate pool. Intro of everybody and intro of new, and outgoing; ELs; jubilee; plug for the social; program changes; membership committee briefing; elections and candidate pools; name change. Ana Elisa - has anybody aside from membership committee been invited to talk? Deb is going to reach out to specific people.

 

6. Social Logistics Confirmation for Annual

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica/Sherry Machones/Matt Ciszek

Vote:No

Supporting Information: The Board will discuss logistics for the GLBTRT social at ALA Annual 2017.


6:35 (10m)

 

Minutes: Sherry and Matt are basically figuring this out. Sherry will pick up the alcohol in Wisconsin. Beer/Wine/Soda/Water. 2 cases of red; 2 of white. 2 or 3 different kinds of beer. 2 kinds of red, 1 kind of white.

 

7. Google Drive - Update and Next Steps
Action: Discussion
Item Facilitators: Deb Sica/David Isaak

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The Board will hear updates about the Google Drive GLBTRT website project.

6:45 (10m)

 

Minutes: Web committee has a demo site up; not ready to be shown yet. Each committee has their own webpage, and then the drive folders for committee materials. If you’re a member, you can login and access the materials, if you’re not you can’t. 

 

 

8. Changing Conference Program Process

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The Board will discuss its current conference program approval process, and hear potential changes to that process.

 

6:55 (10m)

 

Minutes: Changes are going to be recorded programs are subject to juried processes, but anybody from the group can submit a program from April through August. Program selection will be completed by end of September. Roundtables will be represented in a selection process by the ALA jury. We’re only represented one fourth of the cycle. We will not be in the first jury. Ann - can anybody (individual) submit a program? Or only units? Can we be slapped with a sponsorship without our consent? David - there’s potential that there may not be ANY LGBT library services that make it through. Very concerning. 

 

 

9. Additional Film Program Added to Annual

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Peter Coyl/Deb Sica

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The Board will hear details about the recently added film program for ALA Annual 2017.

7:05 (5m)

 

10. Welcome to All Poster

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

7:10 (5m)

 

Minutes: Peter - Tess will follow up with Marcie at Advocacy. She contacted her on May 1st, and has yet to hear back. We’ll send a follow-up. Add toolkit edits to the Executive Board agenda. Open To All is the Toolkit. Make sure both are on the Executive Board Agenda (Open AND Welcome To All).

 

11. Adjournment

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

7:15 (end)

 

Minutes: Adjourned at 7:20