Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Meeting Request
Suggestion
Paul Kelly (non-member)'s picture

2017 April Executive Board Meeting Agenda

2017 April Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, April 19th, 6:00 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

1. Call to Order

Action: None

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No
6:
00 (5m)

 

2. Approval of Agenda and Minutes

Action: Approve agenda for the March 2017 Executive Board meeting. Approval of minutes from the March 2017 Executive Board meeting. (Link: http://connect.ala.org/node/265783

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote:No
6:05 (5m)

 

3. Treasurer’s Report and Budget

Action: Update from the Treasurer

Item Facilitator: Liz DeCoster

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Liz will provide her monthly update on the Round Table’s finances.

6:10 (5m)

 

4. Welcome to All Poster Drafts

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: David Isaak/Tess Goldwasser

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Tess Goldwasser, chair of the Advocacy Committee, will be joining us to give an update on where the Committee is at with the Open to All/Welcome to All poster idea. Attached are draft signs. The Committee would like feedback from the Board. Below is Tess's description of the drafts:

 

We started with Ann’s suggestion of the signs that list all the people who are welcome: ALL ages, ALL races, ALL genders, etc.

 

But then we thought: What if we “miss” an “ALL” that is important to someone? Will our inclusive message then inadvertently fail for them?

 

Then we considered a more “aggressive” message, something about libraries resisting policy that would exclude anyone, but we didn’t want the sign to be too political, and dissuade librarians from posting it.

 

Finally we settled on addressing the library user directly: You are welcome here. It’s not political, and it’s without fail inclusive. If you’re in the library, no matter who you are, no question, you are welcome.

 

The “opentoall.png” file was our first draft. The “alwayswelcome.jpg” file is our second draft – changes being mainly that we attempted to add the RT logo, and use a for sure non-copyrighted image in the background.

 

We’re open to changes in design, as none of us are pro designers, and figure ALA will probably handle design in the final stages, as they did with the “Open to All” toolkit.

 

Speaking of design, I just want to mention I reached out to Rebecca McCorkindale, designer of the popular “Libraries are for Everyone” images - https://hafuboti.com/2017/02/02/libraries-are-for-everyone/ - and she said she’d be open to creating something for the GLBTRT if we wanted to formally approach her.

 

Files: http://connect.ala.org/files/alwayswelcome.jpg

http://connect.ala.org/files/opentoall.png


6:20 (10m)

 

5. Election Review - Next Steps

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote:No

Supporting Information: The Board will discuss the results of the latest ALA Election.
6:25 (10m)

 

6. Review of Emerging Leaders Team's Email and Survey Templates: language, suggestions, etc.

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Ana Elisa De Campos Salles

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Ariana sent an email on behalf of our Emerging Leaders team, asking us to comment or give suggestions on the text for emails and the survey template the team has created to solicit materials for the archive, as well as some other questions involving the ALA Archive's accession rules. A draft of the template is attached. The Board will discuss.

 

Files: http://connect.ala.org/files/EmailSurveyTemplates-draftv2.pdf


6:35 (10m)

 

7. Program promotion planning for Annual
Action: Discussion
Item Facilitators: Deb Sica

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The Board will discuss promotion strategies for the various GLBTRT related sessions to be held at ALA Annual.

6:45 (10m)

 

 

8. Finalizing the GLBTRT Social Media Policy

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Matt Ciszek

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The Board will resume discussion of the draft social media policy, with hopes to finalize it. 

Files: http://connect.ala.org/files/GLBTRT%20Social%20Media%20Guidelines%20-%20Edited.docx

 

6:55 (10m)

 

 

9. Google Framework Project and Internal RT Communication Streamline

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica/David Isaak

Vote: No

7:05 (end)

 

10. Adjournment

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

7:10 (end)

 

David Isaak's picture

Hi Paul,

The agenda says the meeting time is 6pm EST, but the meetings have been moved to 3pm EST.

David

 

 

Ann Symons's picture

I thought we went back to 6:00?????OK - For me also, please clarify the time of the call tomorrow….

On

Paul Kelly (non-member)'s picture

The minutes from March indicate that the time for April was switched back to 6 pm. Is that correct? 

Deb Sica's picture

Talk at original later time schedule - 6/5/4/3 pm. Thanks. 

Deb Sica, MFA, MLIS

Chair, ALA GLBTRT
Vallejo Libraries Manager, Solano County Library

Deb Sica's picture

Talk at original later time schedule - 6/5/4/3 pm. Thanks. 

Deb Sica, MFA, MLIS

Chair, ALA GLBTRT
Vallejo Libraries Manager, Solano County Library

Deb Sica's picture

6 E
5 C
4 M
3 P

Thanks. I will be on the line to redirrect any callers to the latter - original time - if they call in accidentially.

Deb Sica, MFA, MLIS

Chair, ALA GLBTRT
Vallejo Libraries Manager, Solano County Library

Deb Sica's picture

Hi all - I am on the conference line now and no one is here which is a GOOD sign. Everyone knows the time. Thanks. 

Deb Sica, MFA, MLIS

Chair, ALA GLBTRT
Vallejo Libraries Manager, Solano County Library

Jennifer Maguire-Wright's picture

The link in the agenda does not work.