Life Sciences Librarian Library of the University of California, Davis (apply by May 22)
Life Sciences Librarian
Library of the University of California, Davis
Candidates applying by May 22, 2017 will receive first consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
The Library of the University of California, Davis, seeks a versatile and enthusiastic librarian to work closely with teaching faculty, students, staff, and institutional stakeholders in a highly interdisciplinary academic community. This position will be responsible for providing outreach, education, and information resources in support of research and learning focusing especially on undergraduate student needs. The successful candidate must be able to collaborate effectively with teaching faculty, undergraduate students, and staff to develop a shared vision for library services and resources aligned with the Library’s mission and vision.
• Graduate degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent.
• Two or more years of recent experience supporting research, teaching or learning in a library, research, and/or teaching environment.
• Demonstrated familiarity with current life sciences information resources in an academic or research library.
• Demonstrated understanding of current library practices in support of curricula across the range of life sciences educational programs.
• Demonstrated understanding of and ability to determine information and research needs of undergraduate students, teaching faculty and other academic personnel, and to effectively develop and deliver responsive services using a variety of current tools.
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively with multiple constituencies in a complex environment utilizing a variety of skills such as setting goals, managing time, promoting teamwork, and meeting deadlines.
• Demonstrated effective use of analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills.
• Demonstrated experience applying learning theories and teaching strategies to support library instruction and information research literacy.
• Evidence of knowledge related to assessing librarian delivered instruction.
• Demonstrated experience with outreach initiatives that further information literacy integration into an undergraduate life sciences curriculum.
• Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging trends in instructional services.
• Evidence of flexibility and initiative when working within a fast-paced and rapidly changing setting.
• Demonstrated strong commitment to user services and improving the user experience.
• Undergraduate or higher degree in the life sciences OR two years’ working experience as a life sciences librarian in an academic or research library.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to use and successfully experiment with technology to deliver information services to life sciences clientele.
• Familiarity with research data management or curation.
• Demonstrated project management skills.
• Familiarity with developing and managing relevant collections in an academic library.
• Knowledge of scholarly communications issues, tools, and resources.
• Record of professional engagement, such as service in library organizations, presentations at conferences, or publication.