E-resources and Cataloging Librarian, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Job Description for Library Manager
Manager, E-Resources and Cataloging Librarian
Levy Library, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
New York, NY
The E-resources and Cataloging Librarian will participate in the ongoing coordination and management of the library’s e-resources, catalog, and discovery system. Under direction of the Assistant Director, this individual will follow emerging technology trends and current best practices in order to anticipate academic users’ needs and preferences in a highly digital and mobile environment. The E-Resources and Cataloging Librarian will also participate in the selection, acquisition, and evaluation of electronic library resources.
• Manages and maintains timely access to all digital library resources including subscription databases, e-books, e-journals, full-text article links, and other e-resources.
• Performs cataloging activities and projects related to both print and e-resources.
• Serves as administrator of the integrated library system, OCLC’s World Share.
• Coordinates trial, acquisition and renewal activities with publishers/vendors and staff.
• Applies knowledge of best practices for discoverability of library resources to improve tools and workflows
• Communicates successfully with vendors and publishers to ensure continuous access to licensed resources and resolve access interruptions.
• Assists with the selection of new resources and ongoing review of current electronic resources.
• Assists with troubleshooting of the Library’s licensed e-resources, including e-books, e-journals, and databases.
• Delivers high-level customer service, including answering questions, recommending resources, providing instruction and/or educational sessions to users. Continually seeks new ways to improve efficiency and customer service.
• Special projects in support of library services on an as-needed basis
MLS degree Library Science degree from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association (ALA).
Required Skills and Experience
• Working knowledge of integrated library systems, link resolvers, discovery systems, and other related resource management services.
• Knowledge of NLM cataloging and classification standards.
• Skills in developing, implementing, and monitoring policies, procedures, and workflows.
• Skills in utilizing computer technology used for communication, data gathering and reporting.
• Demonstrated commitment to service for students, staff and faculty and willingness to actively collaborate with colleagues in the Library and across the campus community.
• Demonstrated strong customer service skills.
• Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to quickly learn new skills.
• Ability to work well in collaborative, team-based enviroment
Preferred Skills and Experience
• Experience with OCLC World Share and Connexion
• Experience with MARC bibliographic and authorities formats and OCLC cataloging standards.
• Familiarity with SpringShare’s LipApps Product Suite
• Knowledge of best practices for managing access to electronic resources.
The Levy Library supports the education, research, and clinical information needs of the Mount Sinai Health System, including the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. The Library provides an inviting environment designed to facilitate research, study, and collaboration. It offers an extensive collection of biomedical databases, e-journals, e-books, and print resources; and serves as a resource on information retrieval, information management and scholarly communication issues.
The Library is a unit of Mount Sinai's Academic Informatics and Technology division. Academic Informatics and Technology also encompasses The Mount Sinai Archives and Records Management department; the Instructional Technology and Learning Systems team and the Academic Support and Learning Environments group.
For further information, please visit the library’s website: http://icahn.mssm.edu/about/ait/levy-library
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to Laura Schimming, firstname.lastname@example.org
Laura Schimming, MLS
Gustave L. and Janet W. Levy Library
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
One Gustave L. Levy Place, MS 1102 | New York, NY 10029