Research and Education Librarian, The Harvey Cushing/John Hay Whitney Medical Library, Yale University
Research and Education Librarian, The Harvey Cushing/John Hay Whitney Medical Library
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include two major art museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
The Research and Education Librarian serves as the primary librarian involved in the Medical Library general library instruction program. This enthusiastic, user-centered individual will be responsible for the design of the library’s current general instruction program. Through consultation and collaboration, the librarian works to enable faculty, students, clinicians and researchers to leverage information and data resources to the fullest. With experience using a wide range of
bibliographic databases, both biomedical and general, the librarian develops and provides training/instruction in the use of knowledge management, information and data resources, tools, and strategies including evidence-based searching, systematic reviews, and content management tools. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Research and Education Services and is a member of the Research and Education Team.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library school is required. Qualified individuals new to the library profession are encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated commitment to providing excellent customer service and a passion for teaching.
- Demonstrated excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications and analytical ability.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines, and to conceptualize new solutions to problems with creativity and flexibility.
- Demonstrated record of designing projects and bringing them to a conclusion in a timely fashion.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, analytical, and communication skills, both oral and written, including the ability to actively listen, understand and articulate user needs. Experience working collegially and cooperatively within and across organizations.
- Experience working collaboratively and independently with varied groups within a complex organization and rapidly changing, team environment.
- Innovative, resourceful, and flexible. Knowledge of information technology.
- Familiarity and experience with adult learning theory and instruction with adult learners.
- Experience designing and conducting library instruction. Experience working with and knowledge of biomedical research resources.
- Experience with assessment, educational technology, and instructional design.
- Experience working in an academic or health sciences library.