ALA Conference Remodel Proposal for Association-Wide Input
Dear ALA Leader—
The ALA Conference Committee is seeking your feedback as we work to remodel the ALA Annual Conference. Mary Ghikas, ALA’s Senior Associate Executive Director, in consultation with the Conference Committee/Conference Program Coordinating Team and with input from ALA conferences services, division staff and roundtable/ALA committee staff liaisons, has developed a remodel proposal for our upcoming 2018 Annual Conference in New Orleans.
As we worked on its development, we had the following objectives in mind:
- Create a more manageable and more easily navigable Annual Conference
- Provide high-quality continuing education in content streams relevant to individuals from different types of libraries and in different specializations
- Eliminate to the extent possible conflict between programs in the same content stream or during the same time periods
- Provide peer-to-peer learning and networking aligned with contract streams through discussion/interest groups
- Continue to provide an exceptional exhibition of products and services for the library community, as well as an opportunity for authors and librarians to interact
- Provide integrated content information—including programs and discussion groups, as well as interactions with authors and exhibitors
- Support the governance of the Association by providing a venue for both essential governance meetings and collaborative work
- Address attendee dissatisfaction with the spread-out campus by reducing campus size by approximately 50%
- Control costs by reducing campus spread, eliminating or reducing room turns and increasing consistency in practice
- Increase sustainability, both financial and environmental
The Conference Committee values your input. We particularly encourage all units of the Association and affiliates who produce programming, hold discussion/interest groups, and/or hold meetings at Annual Conference to review the remodel proposal. You may post your comments right here on the Conference Committee’s connect space.
The Conference Committee feels this remodel provides a better conference experience for all participants, as well as long-term sustainability for our association.
Clara Bohrer, Chair
ALA Conference Committee