Syndicate content

LLAMA Assessment Section Resources Committee Committee

View:   Faces | List

Online Doc Articles about assessing discovery services

by Nancy Colyar on Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 03:12 pm

I began with this one, which includes the others in its bibliography.

Library Discovery Products: Discovering User Expectations through Failure Analysis http://ejournals.bc.edu/ojs/index.php/ital/article/view/9190/pdf

I began with this one, which includes the others in its bibliography.

Library Discovery Products: Discovering User Expectations through Failure Analysis http://ejournals.bc.edu/ojs/index.php/ital/article/view/9190/pdf

1. Bess Sadler, “Stanford's SearchWorks: Unified Discovery for Collections?” in More Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data, edited by Nicole C. Engard, 247–260 (London: Facet, 2015).

2. Jody Condit Fagan et al., “Usability Test Results for a Discovery Tool in an Academic Library,” Information Technology & Libraries 31, no. 1 (2012): 83–112.

3. Megan Johnson, “Usability Test Results for Encore in an Academic Library,” Information Technology & Libraries 32, no. 3 (2013): 59–85.

4. Andrew D. Asher, Lynda M. Duke, and Suzanne Wilson, “Paths of Discovery: Comparing the Search Effectiveness of EBSCO Discovery Service, Summon, Google Scholar, and Conventional Library Resources,” College & Research Libraries 74, no. 5 (2013): 464–88.

- Nancy

More...

Online Doc Approved minutes, Resources Committee Meeting 2017.01.26

by John Wiggins on Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 12:58 pm

1. Roll call

Attendees: Helen Look (co-chair), Steve Borrelli, Diane Porterfield, and Wenli Gao (recorder)

Regrets: Jeff Belliston, John Wiggins (chair), Nancy Colyar, Terry Taylor, and Rich Paustenbaugh

 

2. Review/revise/approve minutes from previous meeting

Approved in revised format. Helen will remove the direct quotations from survey respondents to protect the privacy of respondents and they can be added back later if deemed necessary.

 

3. Committee housekeeping

1. Roll call

Attendees: Helen Look (co-chair), Steve Borrelli, Diane Porterfield, and Wenli Gao (recorder)

Regrets: Jeff Belliston, John Wiggins (chair), Nancy Colyar, Terry Taylor, and Rich Paustenbaugh

 

2. Review/revise/approve minutes from previous meeting

Approved in revised format. Helen will remove the direct quotations from survey respondents to protect the privacy of respondents and they can be added back later if deemed necessary.

 

3. Committee housekeeping

We will move to 1 hour meeting from now on.

Tabled the discussion of March meeting. Helen and Wenli plan to attend the ACRL conference, and Steve and Diane will not. We will further discuss in February meeting.

 

4. Midwinter updates

LLAMA sections will become Communities of Practice. It may take about 12-18 months for the full transition but anticipate that many details will need to be worked out along the way. When people join LLAMA, they don’t have to check boxes to indicate what section they want to join. They can participate in any Community of Practice. In July, 2017, we will have this new structure. Some groups may change, but all groups will continue their work. There will be no committee appointments. LLAMA will be more open, flexible, and offer members engagement through the Communities of Practice.

Jeff, John, Nancy, and Helen met at ALA Midwinter for the Resources Committee meeting. They discussed the re-organization and reviewed the survey results. For beginner level topics, it was suggested we identify some authoritative resources and make information available for free. For more mid-level and advanced topics, people may pay to participate in the webinars. There was also a discussion about having a blog for profiles/interviews of assessment colleagues which can include recommended resources.

Currently LLAMA webinars are not free. There is discussion about opening up webinars for free viewing after an embargo period. This would be away to show the quality of the webinars for people who may want to register for future webinars.

 

5. Updates on deliverables from previous meeting 

Nancy gave names of the groups working on collections. If we need additional information, she can do more research.

Potential resourcing for projects: Nancy and John interested in assessment of discovery tools and web sites; Helen, Terry, and Nancy have presented on micro assessments/guerilla assessments and might develop something if there’s interest. 

 

6. Discussion of survey results

We can use survey to identify what topics can be free and what topics can turn into webinars. Potential webinar presenters can be identified from the list of people who volunteered to share their expertise. We will use February meeting to focus on specific ideas from the survey.

 

Next meeting: Thursday February 23 at 9am MT / 10am CT / 11am ET

More...

Online Doc Approved minutes, Resources Committee Meeting 2016.11.10

by John Wiggins on Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 09:39 am

LLAMA, Assessment Section, Resources Committee

Rachael Elrod, acting recorder

 

 

Date and Time

 

November 10, 2016

10:30 am EST

 

 

Location and Instructions

 

 

Our meeting will run 8:30-10am MT | 9:30-11am CT | 10:30am-12pm ET.

LLAMA, Assessment Section, Resources Committee

Rachael Elrod, acting recorder

 

 

Date and Time

 

November 10, 2016

10:30 am EST

 

 

Location and Instructions

 

 

Our meeting will run 8:30-10am MT | 9:30-11am CT | 10:30am-12pm ET.

 

To connect, call toll free 1-866-810-2923; use passcode 81376858.

 

 

Attendees

 

 

Diane Porterfield (Central Penn College), Helen Look (University of Michigan), Rich Paustenbaugh (Utah Valley University), Wenli Gao (University of Houston), Rachael Elrod (University of Florida), Nancy Colyar (Birmingham-Southern College),Terry Taylor (DePaul University), John Wiggins (Drexel University)

 

Regrets

 

 

Jeff Belliston (Brigham Young University), Steve Borrelli (Pennsylvania State University)

 

 

Facilitator

 

John Wiggins (Chair)

 

 

Agenda

 

  1. Roll call
  2. Review/revise/approve minutes from previous meeting
  3. Committee housekeeping
  4. LLAMA Changes – Special ballot opening on Nov 16: continue discussion regarding review of proposed changes for LLAMA before special ballot/voting period.
  5. Updates on deliverables from previous meeting

 

 

Discussion Notes and Committee Decisions

 

 

  1. No comments on minutes from previous meeting/accepted and approved

 

  1. Extended first three committee meetings to orient ourselves, this is the third 1.5 hour meeting. We don’t have our plan of everything we want to accomplish this year. Should we extend any of our meeting times to accommodate future discussions? –this question was not addressed by the end of the meeting; John will follow up by email

 

  1. LLAMA ballot on re-organization will be sent next week.  In summary,  organizational changes have less emphasis on sections which will become “communities of practice”, most activity will be on committees like ours. Looking for a more flexible organization. Proposed as a good example for all of ALA. We will be a test case if this passes. Information online, recording of virtual town hall. Main issue is that it is unclear for members how we will get our business done, this is not described yet.

 

Another one of the expected outcomes is using less acronyms so that people will understand what groups are about/their purpose. People at LLAMA mixer were unsure if they were members of a section or committee. These changes may help the membership or prospective membership.

 

Special election will end on December 8th, results reported to members on December 9th. We will vote as individuals, not as a committee.

 

  1. Share comments feedbacks on proposed survey, had approved by section Executive Committee. We got some print and online input. Overall officially 16 surveys collected though not all respondents answered all questions.

 

We are doing this survey for the section which will be shared with the section Executive Committee.

 

Survey timeline was noted: hoping to start distribution next Monday and close in 2.5 weeks. See what results we get and revise if needed again after that.

 

Jeff emailed the committee his suggestions for improving the survey.

 

Does the survey do what we want it to do? Jeff – first person to respond to first question was unclear of what the question was asking based on the response. The committee noted that the answer reflected the respondent’s context of taking the survey at the conference, and ultimately decided not to update the question.   

 

Do we have or need an open ended question such as “Anything else you’d like to share about assessment?” May help contextualize some of the answers. Ultimately, the committee declined to add this question.

 

We don’t spell out LLAMA in our survey. After discussion, John will update the survey header to read:

 

“American Library Association (ALA)

Library Leadership & Management Association (LLAMA)

Assessment Section Programming Survey”

 

The committee reviewed if the results are solely for internal use? Will this be shared somewhere else? IRB issue. Just focused on getting information to help the committee do its work. If we do not formally present or publish, it should be fine to not get IRB approval. However, we should be careful in using direct quotes that people compose—sometimes there is enough information that someone might identify the respondent.

 

The committee considered if we were interested in demographic data about our respondents? How many librarians/staff are at your library? Full-time, FTE?  Perhaps “small, medium, or large” libraries, though ambiguous. Thinking about our audience, assessment librarians are likely to form strongly-held opinions regarding how well-honed we’ve developed our questions.

 

Part-time assessment work might need to be described differently, but ultimately the committee decided to add a new option  “Assessment is the main part of my job responsibilities?” to help clarify a choice for full-time assessment librarians.  Respondents are instructed to select as many options as applicable. This was the only survey revision from the committee after thorough discussion.

 

Survey distribution:

Terry volunteered to connect with ILI and the ACRL Value of Libraries group, of which she is a member; Rich will pursue his connection with the UT State Librarian.  John will contact committee members who have identified themselves as liaisons or having connections to some of the groups.

 

Still needing to be claimed: YALSA, RUSA, music librarians, AASL

 

We did not complete the agenda developed for the current meeting.  John will contact committee members to extend the December meeting by starting ½ hour early.

 

 

Action Items (Members Responsible)

 

 

  1. John will contact committee members to extend the December meeting by starting ½ hour early.
  2. John will update Anne Cooper Moore regarding survey question change
  3. Anne Cooper Moore will provide sponsor/introductory note
  4. John will contact committee members to help distribute survey.

 

 

 

More...

Online Doc Approved minutes, Resources Committee Meeting 2016.10.27

by John Wiggins on Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 04:32 pm

:05 1. Roll call (Diane, Helen, Jeff, John, Nancy, Rich, Steve, Terry, Wenli; Rachael shared her regrets in advance)

:10 2. Review/revise/approve minutes from previous meeting: Draft minutes Resources Committee Meeting 2016 10 13 (requires login to ALA Connect)

  • We should clarify whether "access" or "assess" was meant in the minutes.
  • Approved.
  • John will make them public.

:15 3. Committee housekeeping

:05 1. Roll call (Diane, Helen, Jeff, John, Nancy, Rich, Steve, Terry, Wenli; Rachael shared her regrets in advance)

:10 2. Review/revise/approve minutes from previous meeting: Draft minutes Resources Committee Meeting 2016 10 13 (requires login to ALA Connect)

  • We should clarify whether "access" or "assess" was meant in the minutes.
  • Approved.
  • John will make them public.

:15 3. Committee housekeeping

  • We have two meetings scheduled before the release of the LLAMA open ballot. This will provide an opportunity to discuss items of interest.

:20 4. Updates on deliverables from previous meeting

 

4.1 Proposed Assessment Section survey - feedback and suggestion to pilot the survey

DELIVERABLE--draft survey questions.

Revised version now live at http://tinyurl.com/2016assess (live--sincere response collection/no test responses needed); includes feedback from Assessment Section Executive Committee.

  • We made excellent progress in moving the idea of having a survey to collect ideas for programming.
  • The earlier version was shared with Assessment Section Executive Committee.
  • Encouraged to share at Library Assessment Conference (LAC) mixer that takes place next week.
  • The Section Chair formalized the tone of the questions and the means of collecting names and emails was standardized.
  • Suggested that the Chair formally endorse the survey. She agreed. This will give the sense that it comes from the Section as a whole rather than the committee.
  • Distribution will be via listservs following the LAC.
  • Will pass out paper surveys at LAC. Attendees will also be able to use smartphones to take the survey.
  • Deadline of 30 November. Anne Cooper Moore agreed this was good. This will allow for some review of submissions before our first December meeting (12/8).
  • John asked how committee members feel about the survey. There was general agreement that it looks good.
  • John proposes that we summarize the data for others to help them use the results.
  • The timeline looks good.
  • At the November 10th meeting we can consider distribution methods beyond the Section e-list.

4.2 Hot Topics in Assessment discussion at MidWinter discussion

DELIVERABLE: (John) For Hot Topics in Assessment discussion at MidWinter, micro-assessments/guerilla assessments --Helen, Terry, Nancy could be contacted.

  • Shared info with Ellen and Kirsten, our at-large members.
  • They were graceful in accepting suggestions but it looks like they will encourage an open-mic session to share questions, conundrums, and quandaries that other attendees can then respond to. Hopes that there will be a shared Google doc before the meeting so that potential attendees can think both about their problems and solutions they might offer for the problems of others.
  • We can keep this idea on the table and look at this for a program that we might offer as a program ourselves. We want to make sure that whatever we offer does not duplicate what took place at the last ALA Annual. The topics would be space, collections, website, and discovery. Terry was part of the ALA Annual presentation. Helen said there will be some presentations at Charleston Conference on micro-assessments done at her institution.
  • We should follow up in our next meeting.
  • LLAMA has their meeting schedule in a pdf on the website.
  • ALA MidWinter LLAMA Hot Topics is 4:30-5:30 p.m. on Sunday.

4.3 Library Assessment Conference

DELIVERABLE: (Steve, Helen, Terry, Wenli and John) at 11/10 meeting are asked to report on trends we might see at the Library Assessment Conference at the end of October.

  • John, Steve, Helen, Terry, Wenli, and Jeff will also be at the LAC. We're asked to report on trends that we might note at the conference.
  • At the Exec Committee discussion about the mixer, they asked about volunteers for mixers at the tables. Helen and John have volunteered. They may need more volunteers (Monday, 31 October 2017, from 3:15 - 4:30 in Salon IV). Even if you don't volunteer, record informal observations that can be shared in our 10 November meeting.
  • John Wiggins encouraged that attendees focus on sessions of particular interest to the committee.
  • We could potentially mine the programs for expertise on topics of interest to us. Terry indicated that this technique was used in the development of assessment competencies and it worked well.
  • It would not be a bad idea for us to touch base while there. It might be nice to see how spread out we are in terms of the sessions we go to.

4.4 Scope of Assessment Programming/Discussions within ALA and potential partners

DELIVERABLE - 1: (Nancy) not due until 11/10 or after--explore within ALA which groups are working on collections use and how, to get us started on subsequent deliverable below--

  • The agenda verbiage does reflect Nancy's understanding of what is intended.

DELIVERABLE - 2: (group) research project for perhaps the full year--small group researches list of other ALA divisional/sectional committees tasked with assessment program and/or suggests next steps regarding how we can find others/learn more about these committees as potential partners and overlapping audiences.

4.5 Possible partner for programming/marketing: ALCTS Collection Assessment IG--more of a programming group, not as much a committee/not really having meetings, that arranges for presentations.

  • Keep this on the table per Nancy's understanding.

4.6 PENDING OFFER OF potential resourcing for ResComm projects: Nancy and John interested in assessment of discovery tools and web sites.

  • Keep this on the table per John's and Nancy's understanding.

 

:40 5. LLAMA Changes--Special ballot opening on Nov 16: review of proposed changes for LLAMA before special ballot/voting period.  Please consult site shared below to prepare.

  • Sections won't be as formal as they are now. They would be more ad-hoc as people want to organize them. They will be known as "Communities of Practice." We can organize on this level however it might work best. Most of the LLAMA programming will actually continue to happen through what we're doing right now on this call.
  • To folks who've been around for a longer time, it's unclear how things will operate in this space.
  • How a community of practice or committee comes about doesn't seem to have been addressed yet. Structural guidance isn't clear nor has it come up in some of the conversations that John has been part of. It's the main question that John has and has heard from others.
  • Terry asked how this places LLAMA in relation to other organizations under the ALA umbrella. It seems so different. Nancy indicated that LITA is watching this to see how it goes. Terry has been watching with interest to what is happening at the MidWinter Meeting. It's not just a meeting, there's more programming going on. Nancy indicated that there has certainly been discussion about what should be held virtually--business meetings or programs. There will be some tests of this. Part of the reason we can only go to the cities we go to is because of the number of concurrent sessions that are offered. There is ongoing discussion about this. Terry's still trying to get her head around what the reporting structure will be so it's not like herding cats. The Town Hall recording might provide some help with these issues. For Nancy, the more she's listened the clearer it has become. There's definitely a focus on trimming things and making them more efficient.
  • John endorses the Virtual Town Hall recording and he's one who prefers to read rather than listen. Big questions with changes are "How does this affect me?" and "How do I operate after the changes are implemented?" These haven't yet been answered quite as fully as he would like.
  • John would be happy to pass any questions the committee has through to the section. Nancy encouraged that we read all the background documents.
  • The changes are proposed for 1 January 2017. John is committed to helping committee members know what we'll be doing when this all happens.
  • It is interesting that this takes place right on the heels of the section restructuring itself.
  • This will be on the agenda for the next meeting. Jeff will not be able to participate. He will send concerns or comments via email prior to that meeting.
  • John will find an alternate recorder for that meeting.

5.1 http://www.ala.org/llama/llama-reorganization-information

5.1.1 Proposed by-laws

5.1.2 Recording of Virtual Town Hall--recommended

5.1.3 “Why Reorganize Now” and other FAQs shared

 

:60 6. LLAMA Assessment Repository Update

  • Helen made sure the group is aware that there is a proposal to create an easy-to-use assessment repository system. It would include material about both published studies but also assessments with negative or inconclusive results.
  • The biggest discussion at this point is whether Omeka or Open Science is the best platform. We need someone with a technical background to evaluate them.
  • This whole effort grew out of work done by LLAMA MAES Data Collection for Library Managers Committee in conjunction with LLAMA LOMS PELS Committee.
  • Nancy will communicate with Helen about individuals in LITA who could help with an evaluation.
  • One of the questions is "Is a database administrator needed?" Nancy responded that there are related and other important questions.
  • John indicated that Martha Kyrillidou's consulting on the project is over. He's not sure whether the second phase will move forward without a consultant.

:65 7. Brainstorm results for activities to support committee charge

 

7.1 Summary of general ideas:

In general, save the time of our colleagues.

Be engaged outside of LLAMA.

How do we measure our impact, that it's important to people.

  • Helen spoke to this toward the conclusion of the last meeting. She is the one who added engagement outside of LLAMA. Our potential audience for what we're doing should be quite broad (by library type, by responsibility, etc.).
  • Nancy indicated that, just listening to today's discussion, we have a lot of that can be shared.
  • Terry indicated that we have to practice what we preach so we need to be measuring what we do. John concurred wholeheartedly.
  • We will get some guidance from the survey, including helping us to understand the population. A lot of our success may be based on our outreach with the survey.
  • John is thinking that we might see what other lists cross with the ARL Assessment listserv. John's aware of a listserv from a state library that seems pointed to public libraries. Rich will ask the State Librarian of Utah, in a conversation later this morning, about this. Rich referred to things that are going on in Colorado along these lines. John asked if anyone has connections with school librarians. Nancy will try to reach out to someone she knows who served on the AASL board.
  • There was some discussion of music librarians, medical librarians, archivists (there are regional groupings).
  • John proposed that a Google spreadsheet be created where we can contribute ideas of groups and potential contacts within the group who might be able to distribute our survey.
  • The question came up about getting the survey out through ALA--possibly through the AL Direct email. It's at least worth a try.
  • We should try to put it in front of people in as many ways as possible.
  • John will want to make sure Anne Cooper Moore (chair, Assessment Section) is in the loop.

7.2 General support for gathering more ideas

Survey Assessment section elist and beyond: survey, potential discussion

Identify problems committee members hope to address or our general interests

Evaluate and select activities wanting to launch

What time frame should we be working from?  

7.3. Opt-in: creating small working groups around ideas that engage committee members.  

:85 Next meeting: Thursday November 10 at 8:30am MT / 9:30am CT / 10:30am ET for 1.5 hours. 

  • Adjourned with nine minutes to spare.
More...

Online Doc Approved minutes, Resources Committee Meeting 2016 10 13

by John Wiggins on Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 12:21 pm

John Wiggins (Chair) called roll at 10:33am. In addition to him, Jeff Belliston, Nancy Colyar, Wenli Gao, Helen Look, Diane Porterfield, Terry Taylor, and Steve Borrelli (recorder) were in attendance. Rachael Elrod, Richard Paustenbaugh were not able to attend.

The Chair announced that Kerry Creelman has resigned from the committee. After a discussion about whether to look for a replacement for Kerry, the consensus was to move ahead with the current roster and to reach out to the New Professional Section as needed for additional help.

Members introduced themselves

John Wiggins (Chair) called roll at 10:33am. In addition to him, Jeff Belliston, Nancy Colyar, Wenli Gao, Helen Look, Diane Porterfield, Terry Taylor, and Steve Borrelli (recorder) were in attendance. Rachael Elrod, Richard Paustenbaugh were not able to attend.

The Chair announced that Kerry Creelman has resigned from the committee. After a discussion about whether to look for a replacement for Kerry, the consensus was to move ahead with the current roster and to reach out to the New Professional Section as needed for additional help.

Members introduced themselves

Minutes from the 08.22.16 meeting were approved

The group discussed future meetings that are scheduled during upcoming conferences. The Chair proposed that a virtual meeting be held for the midwinter meeting scheduled for 01.26.17, hold an on-site meeting for the June 2017 meeting, and the meeting that is scheduled to coincide with the ACRL Conference on 03.23.17 was left undecided.

The Chair provided updates on deliverables from the last meeting.

1. Update on communication with Services committee:

1.1. Facilities/Space.  Services committee offers for our consideration:

1.1.1.   Facilities: infrastructure: power and data, lighting, plumbing, HVAC, etc.

1.1.2.   Space: programming: general or specialized commons, collections space, group and individual study spaces, hours

1.2. Web site/services provided by website: John recommended committees remain in communication as we plan our programming and collaborate/negotiate as needed as we establish some precedents.

The group discussed websites as having components that are services while others that relate to resources. Examples included “ask a librarian” discussed as a service and outside the scope of our committee, whereas the web presentation/organization of electronic resources falling within the scope of the Resources Committee.

Aspects of Collections were discussed as within the scope of the committee, of particular interest is an administrative level view of collection assessment. Nancy volunteered to investigate to learn which groups are already looking into collection assessment at the administrative level.

 2. Discussed using the MAES listserv (now the Assessment Section e-list) to generate tips and ideas. The Organizational Practices committee is interested in seeing our results.  The At-Large members of the Assessment Exec. Comm. (who run Hot Topics) also want to do a survey, so we’re looking to coordinate.

2.1. From meeting minutes: Ask MAES listserv via survey about their thoughts, wishes, what they are already using.  Invite respondents to self-identify for expertise on assessing collections, discovery tools, facilities, websites.

2.2. Discuss potential ACTION ITEM: consider a small group to draft the survey questions and submit for review on Thu Oct 27.

Discussed was the appropriateness of the Assessment Section e-list for the survey. The ARL-ASSESS listserv was also discussed as an appropriate list to solicit responses. The group was in favor of distributing the survey broadly.

The purpose of the survey was discussed as to learn about the needs of the “sudden assessment librarian” (e.g. toolkits, bibliographies, etc.), the “accidental administrator” (e.g. how to use assessment to make management decisions), those who have been in the field for a number of years, as well as those librarians who have assessment as an aspect of their position.

Most important thing learned / muddiest point lines of questioning were discussed and the three questions below were drafted

What have you learned that has had the most impact in assessment?

What do you think you need/want to learn as soon as possible?

What expertise have you grown that you’re interested in sharing? 

John will send out the questions to the group for review and would like a response by 10.14 in order to share the questions with the executive committee on Monday 10.17.

Discussed was a desire to administer the survey by 10.27, however, no firm decisions on timeframe of administration were made

3. Hot Topics discussion—Ellen Safley and Kirsten Kinsley share the following feedback from the last forum—does anything spark topic ideas for one of the upcoming forums?

  • 3.1.    Follow up on assessment projects
  • 3.2.    More opportunity for small group discussion
  • 3.3.    Easy inexpensive ways to assess events and libraries
  • 3.4.    How to access social media habits of academic student body for best library use
  • 3.5.    How to assess impact of preservation depts.
  • 3.6.    Detailed ways to access events
  • 3.7.    What info others look for in assessment results
  • 3.8.    More assessment
  • 3.9.    Methods of collecting data
  • 3.10.  Library impact on student success.  Value.  Return on invest for events or in general
  • 3.11.  Something about successfully sharing data with leadership, public & other stakeholders

The group discussed item "3.3 Easy inexpensive ways to assess events and libraries” as a potential topic for an upcoming forum. The group thinks that this would be an interesting topic. Micro-assessments were discussed as not taking much time or resources (from the libraries or respondent perspectives), however, the group felt that the term may be confusing, “guerilla” assessments was proposed as a term that many in academic libraries might be familiar with. The Chair noted that we should consider using terminology that would be recognizable to a broad swath of the profession, suggesting we use the term “outcomes” when appropriate to accommodate those outside of academic libraries. It was noted that the idea also aligns well with 3.9 Methods of collecting data.

DELIVERABLE:

4. For November meeting: Steve, Helen, and John are asked to report on trends we might see at the Library Assessment Conference at the end of October. Terry and Wenli announced they are also planning to attend.

5. For potential follow-up: Nancy and John interested in assessment of discovery tools and web sites

Offer stands and depends on how committee prioritizes programming ideas for the service year.

6. At last meeting, the committee agreed to pursue how our Assessment section committee overlaps with other groups within ALA. Discuss potential ACTION ITEM: small group researches list of other ALA divisional/sectional committees tasked with assessment program and/or suggests next steps regarding how we can find others/learn more about these committees as potential partners and overlapping audiences.

The proposed action item was discussed as broader than the work Nancy had volunteered to work on. Discussed was the idea of individuals volunteering to review the groups within divisions they are active in and others could volunteer to fill in the gaps. Nancy agreed to lead the coordination effort.

We discussed co-sponsoring events with other groups in order to expand our impact.

7. Brainstorm results for activities to support committee charge

7.1. Summary of general ideas from previous meeting:

7.1.1.   In general, save the time of our colleagues.

7.1.2.   Be engaged outside of LLAMA.

7.1.3.   How do we measure our impact, that it's important to people.

The idea of creating a resource that others would want to join the effort to develop was suggested as a measure of impact. It was cautioned however that sustainability of the resource should be a consideration. A website listing tools and resources was one example; that or any similar effort could also lead to programming, webinar, etc. ideas that focus on more granular topics.

Considerations for how a resource might work for different types of librarians were discussed (i.e. school librarians, medical librarians, etc.).

Topic areas discussed for the resource included: how to manage an assessment program and tools for the sudden assessment librarian or accidental administrator.

Remaining agenda items were not addressed; next meeting will continue with discussion regarding our intended impacts.

8. General support for gathering more ideas

8.1. Survey Assessment section e-list

8.2. Identify problems committee members hope to address or our general interests

8.3. Evaluate and select activities wanting to launch

8.4. What time frame should we be working from?  Would suggest avoiding putting together something for this MW.

9. Opt-in: creating small working groups around ideas that engage committee members.

1:25 Next meeting: Thursday October 27 at 8:30am MT / 9:30am CT / 10:30am ET for 1.5 hours. Review deliverables/preparation for that meeting.

 

More...

Online Doc Approved Minutes Resources Committee meeting 2016 08 22

by John Wiggins on Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm

John Wiggins (chair) called the roll at 2:30pm. In addition to him, Steve Borrelli, Nancy Colyar, Kerry Creelman, Helen Look, Rich Paustenbaugh, and Diane Porterfield attended. Jeff Belliston, Rachael Elrod, Terry Sklair Taylor, and Wenli Gao were not able to attend.

The Chair announced the new vice chair / chair elect will be Helen Look.

The Chair announced that Jeff Belliston volunteered to be the recorder for the rest of the year. Nancy Colyar and Rich Paustenbaugh will record and combine notes for today.

John Wiggins (chair) called the roll at 2:30pm. In addition to him, Steve Borrelli, Nancy Colyar, Kerry Creelman, Helen Look, Rich Paustenbaugh, and Diane Porterfield attended. Jeff Belliston, Rachael Elrod, Terry Sklair Taylor, and Wenli Gao were not able to attend.

The Chair announced the new vice chair / chair elect will be Helen Look.

The Chair announced that Jeff Belliston volunteered to be the recorder for the rest of the year. Nancy Colyar and Rich Paustenbaugh will record and combine notes for today.

Next the members on the call introduced themselves.

Reviewed the notes from the Orlando meeting, no changes or comments.

Reviewed the charge and responsibilities - What would you like to see our committee contribute?

Service to the library community through programs

Discussed the evolution of the committee within MAES

Find ways to save our colleagues in the field time, resources such as lists, descriptions, webinars, lists of tools, and bibliographies.  Discussed quick guides to help people begin to become “sudden assessment” librarians.  Make colleagues more aware, and learn about quick, simple ways to assess, visit issues & discuss. Make a toolkit, bibliography, or web site with links to resources. Anything that we can do to lift up others.

How would we measure our impact, ultimately will be driven by what we end up working on for the next 18 months.

Do we have a sense of needs and what other groups within ALA are doing?  Agreed that this would be important to avoid duplicating efforts, look for gaps, partners, resources, increase communication.  Also interested in know what the Hot Topics group was working towards.  Discussed MAES listserv and the possibility of using it.  

Suggested topics can focus around collections, facilities, websites, and discovery tools

There will be an opportunity for LLAMA MAES members to get together at the October Library Assessment Conference in Crystal City (Arlington), Va.  May be a great place to see what trends are emerging and interact with others re: MAES plans.

Look at what we can do related to discovery tools and websites.

Concern was raised about overlap between ALA Divisions such as LITA or ALCTS.  Suggested contacting other ALA committees.  Some interest in reaching out to other divisions within ALA.

Discussed issues with overlap between the charge between Services and Resources committees, especially the difference in the nomenclature facilities vs. space.  John will try to get clarification.

Discussed using the MAES listserv to generate tips and ideas. 

Brainstorm results for activities to support committee charge.

General support for gathering more ideas.

Evaluate and select activities wanting to launch

            What time frame should we be working from?  Would suggest avoiding putting together something for this MW. 

            Group agreed to pursue how our MAES committee overlaps with the Services groups and other groups within ALA.

Summary of ideas /deliverables:

  • Trends, at Assessment Conference may see some, and learn what Assessment Section plans are, ask questions.  John, Helen, and Steve will be attending.
  • Hot Topics discussions, John will inquire with Ellen & Kirsten.
  • Join MAES listserv, instructions from Steve via email.
  • Discovery tools / web sites, John & Nancy.
  • In general, save the time of our colleagues.
  • Be engaged outside of LLAMA.
  • Work with Exec Com about issues with clarification, overlap.
  • How do we measure our impact, that it's important to people.
  • Ask MAES listserv via survey about their thoughts, wishes, what they are already using.

Confirm how our committee will communicate and conduct its work

Recommend having a monthly conference call to keep things moving forward.  Keep info public, except minutes which have not yet been approved. John will send a Doodle poll for date/times.

More...

Online Doc Homework for Resources Committee August 2016 meeting: brainstorming grid

by John Wiggins on Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 02:35 pm

Attached is a PDF of a grid intended to explore options and formats for Resource Committee contributions to ALA, LLAMA, and our Assessment Section colleagues.  Some details such as deadlines and contacts are noted (ex: Annual conference program submission deadlines, Annual/MidWinter pre-conference deadlines, "Hot topics in assessment" discussion group contacts, etc.).

Attached is a PDF of a grid intended to explore options and formats for Resource Committee contributions to ALA, LLAMA, and our Assessment Section colleagues.  Some details such as deadlines and contacts are noted (ex: Annual conference program submission deadlines, Annual/MidWinter pre-conference deadlines, "Hot topics in assessment" discussion group contacts, etc.).

Options/formats are listed as columns; potential Resources Committee topics (such as discovery tools, facilities, collections, etc.) are listed as rows--the committee can explore which intersection cells are of most interest this year.

More...

Online Doc Homework for Resources Committee August 2016 meeting: context for strategies

by John Wiggins on Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 02:31 pm

Broader context for our new committee’s work:

From: http://www.ala.org/llama/sites/ala.org.llama/files/content/LO%20Introduction.pdf

Broader context for our new committee’s work:

From: http://www.ala.org/llama/sites/ala.org.llama/files/content/LO%20Introduction.pdf

LLAMA believes that librarians in all types of libraries foster continuous individual discovery and learning and serve an essential function in a democratic society. Serving as the foremost professional organization committed to developing present and future library leaders, LLAMA provides members with knowledge, skills, resources, and tools that help members foster individual and organizational excellence in library leadership, administration, and management. LLAMA and our member leaders at all levels seek to create and develop innovative communities that foster diversity and inclusion. Developing present and future leaders in a holistic manner is part of our commitment to the enduring value of libraries in society and the people and communities we serve. Below are the foundational statements of our association.

Mission

To support and develop future and current leaders and managers at every level of library and information services in all types of libraries.

We value:

• Leadership development and continuous learning

• Exemplary and innovative service and practice

• Socially responsible management

 

From: http://www.ala.org/llama/sections/maes

As of July 1, 2016, LLAMA MAES will become the LLAMA Assessment Section.

The Assessment Section focuses on library assessment, evaluation, and measurement regardless of type of library or activity. We emphasize the role of assessment in demonstrating the impacts of our libraries. Our work includes recommending and developing tools, methods, guidelines, standards, and policies and procedures. We plan and deliver webinars, programs, publications, special projects, and discussion group(s). We seek opportunities to collaborate within our Section, within LLAMA, and beyond. To help orient us to which topics are explicitly identified within which Assessment Section committees:

Assessment Section Committees

Charge

Executive Committee

To make decisions and provide leadership for the Assessment Section.

Competencies and Methods

To cultivate and expand knowledge of assessment competencies and methods.

Marketing and Communication

To promote awareness of the Assessment Section and its activities through internal and external communication using the website, social media, ALA publications, and other avenues such as meet-ups at assessment conferences.

Organizational Practices

To explore and foster emerging and best practices in assessment of organizational structure and culture, and business practices, with an eye toward advocacy and stakeholders’ interests.

Resources

To explore and foster emerging and best practices in assessment of physical and digital resources such as collections, facilities, websites, and discovery tools.

Services

To explore and foster emerging and best practices in assessment of public services, public programming, access services, library spaces, research, teaching, and learning.

Hot Topics in Assessment Discussion Group

To provide a forum for members interested in discussions about measurement, assessment and evaluation in libraries. Meets annually during the Midwinter Meeting.

More...

Online Doc Agenda, Resources Committee meeting, 2016.08.22

by John Wiggins on Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 02:28 pm

Resources Committee meeting
August 22, 2016, 2:30-4pm ET | 11:30am-1pm PT

Agenda

1. (2 min/2:30-2:32) Roll call:
Diane Porterfield
Helen Look
Jeffrey Belliston (attending first 50 minutes)
John Wiggins (chair)
Kerry Creelman
Nancy Colyar
Rachael Elrod (regrets)
Rich Paustenbaugh
Steve Borrelli
Terry Sklair Taylor
Wenli Gao (regrets)

2 . (5 min/2:32-2:37) Announce elected vice chair/chair-elect

3. (5 min/2:37-2:42) Establish a recorder for the year or for this meeting

Resources Committee meeting
August 22, 2016, 2:30-4pm ET | 11:30am-1pm PT

Agenda

1. (2 min/2:30-2:32) Roll call:
Diane Porterfield
Helen Look
Jeffrey Belliston (attending first 50 minutes)
John Wiggins (chair)
Kerry Creelman
Nancy Colyar
Rachael Elrod (regrets)
Rich Paustenbaugh
Steve Borrelli
Terry Sklair Taylor
Wenli Gao (regrets)

2 . (5 min/2:32-2:37) Announce elected vice chair/chair-elect

3. (5 min/2:37-2:42) Establish a recorder for the year or for this meeting

4. (10 min/2:42-2:52) Introductions: share name, related prof. role, interests in committee

5. (10 min/2:52-3:02) Review the charge and responsibilities (and those of other new committees to understand what topics are explicitly located with which committees)

a. What’s the impact we see the Resources Committee having on LLAMA/Assessment Section members?

b. What is the personal impact committee members anticipate in return for service?

c. How can we achieve this impact? How will we know (metrics)?

6. (10 min/3:02-3:12) Brainstorm possible activities to support the charge/our desired
impacts

7. (18 min/3:12-3:30) Evaluate and select the activities we want to launch (and possibly complete) this year

8. (18 min/3:30-3:48) Organize to develop and implement these programs/options

9. (12 min/3:48-4:00) Confirm how our committee will communicate and conduct its work (format, frequency) identify potential timeslots for next meeting/regular meetings

More...

Online Doc Notes - special meeting of the Resources Committee 2016.06.28

by John Wiggins on Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 02:22 pm

Notes from Special Meeting of the 2016-2017 LLAMA/Assessment Section/Resources Committee

 

Saturday, June 25, 2016, 9:30-10am, at ALA Annual Conference in Orlando 

Attending: Jeffrey Belliston, Rich Paustenbaugh, Rachael Elrod, Helen Look, John Wiggins.

This was an unofficial meeting and all other members RSVP’ed their regrets in advance.

John Wiggins served as chair and recorder.

Notes from Special Meeting of the 2016-2017 LLAMA/Assessment Section/Resources Committee

 

Saturday, June 25, 2016, 9:30-10am, at ALA Annual Conference in Orlando 

Attending: Jeffrey Belliston, Rich Paustenbaugh, Rachael Elrod, Helen Look, John Wiggins.

This was an unofficial meeting and all other members RSVP’ed their regrets in advance.

John Wiggins served as chair and recorder.

1. Meeting begin with a short round of introductions and individual review of roster provided by Assessment Section Chair Anne Cooper Moore.

1.1.  With five out of eleven members present, committee noted intention was to start discussions to share with full committee for further discussion and decisions in early July.

1.2.  ACTION ITEM: John will send all members a Doodle poll for our first meeting (conference call).

1.3.  ACTION ITEM: At first full meeting, members will review initial conversations, continue discussions, plan and implement a move to finalize leadership, and identify how we will explore which program opportunities to pursue.

1.4.  ACTION ITEM: John will ask members to discuss/confirm a regular monthly conference call to manage committee progress.

2.   Leadership: Discussion addressed co-chair and vice-chair leadership models:

2.1.  The co-chair system denotes two leaders selected to share leadership duties and share responsibilities for only the current year.

2.2.  The vice-chair system denotes two-year-long leadership commitments that overlap, with the vice-chair from one year becoming chair the following year and a new vice-chair selected.

2.3.  Among those present, five of five supported consideration of a vice-chair model with two of the five also comfortable with the co-chair model. 

2.3.1.     Among the three who didn’t voice support for the co-chair model, the main notes were experiences where only one co-chair was actually active.

2.3.2.     Support for the vice-chair model focused on managing succession of leadership to ensure success of longer-term program planning processes.

2.4.  Two members present expressed interest in serving as leaders. We’ll see if there is additional interest from other members at our first full meeting and decide a process for selection.

2.4.1.     Note: members who are currently listed as serving on the Resources Committee for one year (completing the second year of their term under the revised organization) are definitely eligible to renew for up to two more service periods (that is, to serve an additional four years) and so all members are eligible to serve as vice chair this year/chair next year. This was confirmed by Anne Cooper Moore immediately after our meeting

3.  Scope of Resources Committee’s charge. Discussion focused on our committee’s charge and identifying which topics are included in our charge and which topics we might need to request clarification about.

3.1.  Facilities (Resources) vs. Library spaces (Services). In an earlier conversation, MAES Executive Committee members suggested that we might observe this as facilities equivalent to available building spaces, and library spaces (in the charge for the Services Committee) might focus on services supported within the spaces.  Currently, the committee interprets this to mean that, for example, assessment of electrical outlets might be in scope for our committee, as well as general study spaces (furnishings, arrangement) and self-service equipment such as laptop kiosks.

3.2.  Resources in general.  Discussion noted that we might assume that broader library resourcing, such as library budget and library staff, are included in our charge.

3.3.  Overlap/opportunities with other committees.  Members noted that there is overlap between our committee’s charge and those of other committees, and these provide opportunities for collaboration on programming:

3.3.1.     “Facilities”—with LLAMA BES (Building & Equipment (?) Section)

3.3.2.     “Discovery Tools” and “Websites” with LITA

3.3.3.     Discussion group format events with our Assessment Section Members-at-Large who manage the Hot Topics in Assessment discussion at MidWinters (or on our own at Annuals and/or MidWinters)

3.3.4.     Publication outputs with LLAMA (contact: Fred Reuland)

3.3.5.     Webinar outputs with LLAMA’s Continuing Education Committee

3.4.  ACTION ITEM: John will confirm some of the above with the Assessment Section Executive Committee and report back.

4.  Brainstorming program approaches/committee outputs.

4.1.  Assessment of Resource Committee:

4.1.1.     What impact do we hope to make on the Assessment Section/LLAMA/ALA?

4.1.2.     How will we know if we are successful or not?  What does success look like?

4.2.  Inclusion of opportunities for new professionals

4.2.1.     When specific program initiatives are identified, advertise in LLAMA’s New Professionals Section (NPS) for an individual to associate/support each program/project to gain experience and to learn about the Resources Committee.

4.3.  Broadening LLAMA and Assessment Section participation beyond academic librarians.  How can we improve scope and appeal of programs and volunteer opportunities?  Ideas generated included:

4.3.1.     Ensure program descriptions focus on and attract other participants

4.3.1.1.          Use language that speaks to other settings—for example, public libraries do assessment but don’t necessarily use the word assessment to refer to that work

4.3.2.     Develop programs that employ a panel with speakers from different settings/perspectives

4.4.  Identify best practices.  Ideas generated included:

4.4.1.     Research “resources” topics together as a group

4.4.1.1.          Identify case studies

4.4.1.2.          Develop bibliographies

4.4.1.3.          Track emerging practices

4.4.1.4.          Review what other groups are doing

4.4.1.4.1.                PLA (public libraries)

4.4.1.4.2.                SLA (special libraries)

4.4.1.5.          What isn’t covered and needs covering (assessment gaps)?

4.5.  Promote/spotlight best practices, techniques, themes

4.5.1.     Individual/teams who have done good work

4.5.2.     Examples of good work

4.5.3.     “Things are changing”-what is new or what is different

 

More...
Subscribe to LLAMA Assessment Section Resources Committee