Syndicate content

Student Gift Membership Task Force Community

In: Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC)
View:   Faces | List

Discussion ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 5/5/16 Meeting Notes

by Andrea V. Johnson on Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:43 pm

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
Thursday, May 5, 2016 2:00 p.m. CST
Meeting Minutes

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance - Andrea

b. Introductions/Attendees - In attendance: Ted, Patrick, Kenneth, Diane, Julie, Dan

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
Thursday, May 5, 2016 2:00 p.m. CST
Meeting Minutes

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance - Andrea

b. Introductions/Attendees - In attendance: Ted, Patrick, Kenneth, Diane, Julie, Dan

c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda - None

 

2. AASL Student Bridge Scholarship Program - Patrick
The program is competitive and need-based. Extends the student rate for three years. They gather a lot of info from applicants including a mini-essay. Response was low. Is application too complicated? They plan to try it for two more years. The rubric for selection is run by volunteers. As for promotion, they emailed AASL members, educators, and posted to social media. AASL surveyed member dropouts and didn’t find one standout reason for members leaving AASL.

Should we ask recipients of gift membership to extend three years? Seems reasonable but difficult to enforce. We should encourage them to continue (renew) and emphasize that we need their skills in ALSC.

3. Recommendations

a. List of items to include on application form - Lauren
Name, School attending, Home address, Phone number, Email, Workplace (if any), Date or expected date of Graduation

  • Are you currently a member of ALA or an ALA Division?

(Baseline survey questions)

  • Do you currently work with children?

  • Do you plan on taking any webinars or going to any conferences while having membership (not sure if this is something we want to add or not)

  • What do you hope to gain from having an ALA and ALSC membership (Can be short answer since we don’t think an essay question will be necessary).

 

b. Avenues for promotion and engagement (how to identify and reach children’s services-focused students. Willingness of GSLIS universities to cooperate. Pilot with select schools?) - Ted.
Ted feels like we would get strong support from schools. Should pilot be open to all schools or a select number of schools? Make it available to all schools. For the ILA gift membership program, sending emails to faculty to forward to students worked best.

c. Assessment - Kenneth
Review of Kenneth’s assessment plan on the working document. Asking “what they know about ALSC” is a great question.  Also ask - Have they served on a committee before?
- Midway through - survey assessment

 

d. Timeframe

ALSC will vote on FY17 budget at 2016 Annual. Funds could be expendable as early as Sept 1. Give people 2-3 months between announcement and due date for applications. “Graduates Dec ’16 and May ’17 have your application in by Jan 2017" Announce program Dec 1 to catch graduating students before holiday; Applications due March 1. Get answers to recipients by April 1. (Annual 2017 early bird ends mid March. Dec 1 is ALA scholarship deadline.)

After one year, submit an interim report to board so they can budget for it after second year.  (Diane will be off the board after this year.) 

Could Membership Committee take on managing the program? Maybe. They are juggling a few projects now. Are task force members willing to continue with administering a program if approved by the board? Ted, Patrick, Kenneth, Andrea agreed to continue if needed.

 

4. Q&A and Other Business - none

 

5. Review of New Action Items
- Andrea will draft the final report to the board with our recommendations. All will review the draft of the report and give feedback.
- Ted will share recommendations for promoting programs on working document

 

6. Next Meeting Date
Andrea will schedule if needed.

More...

Discussion ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 5/5/16 Meeting Agenda

by Andrea V. Johnson on Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 08:37 pm

ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts) 
Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 2:00pm CT
 

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and Introductions
a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance
b. Introductions/Attendees  
c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda 


2. AASL Student Bridge Scholarship Program - Patrick

ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts) 
Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 2:00pm CT
 

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and Introductions
a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance
b. Introductions/Attendees  
c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda 


2. AASL Student Bridge Scholarship Program - Patrick

3. Recommendations
a. List of items to include on application form - Lauren
b. Avenues for promotion and engagement (how to identify and reach children’s services-focused students. Willingness of GSLIS universities to cooperate. Pilot with select schools?) - Ted
c. Assessment - Kenneth
d. Timeframe

4. Q&A and Other Business


5. Review of New Action Items

6. Next Meeting Date (if needed)

 

More...

Discussion ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 4/7/16 Meeting Notes

by Andrea V. Johnson on Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:05 pm

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:00 p.m. CST
Meeting Minutes

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance: Andrea

b. Introductions/Attendees:  Andrea, Dan, Julie, Kenneth, Patrick, Diane

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:00 p.m. CST
Meeting Minutes

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance: Andrea

b. Introductions/Attendees:  Andrea, Dan, Julie, Kenneth, Patrick, Diane

c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda: None

 

2. Review of other professional associations offering gift memberships

a. NMRT membership offer - Andrea
Kirby McCurtis, current President of NMRT asked her student chapter to review our proposal and give feedback. Her conclusion was that “the crucial thing with students and recent graduates is making sure to explain the value of the membership.” She also suggested that scholarships, travel stipends, continuing education, and  “networking possibilities” are valuable to students.

ALA Joint Student Membership Program - Andrea
Exchanged emails with Ron Jankowski, ALA Membership Development Director, and Don Wood at the ALA Chapter Relations Office. They expect 3300 students to join this year, which will be up 5% from last year. Member retention is high, consistenly in the high 70%s, last year 78% renewed. Promotion is done by state chapters, including on-site school visits. They also sent many ideas for promotion.  Their numbers are reassuring!

b. AASL Student Bridge Scholarship Program - Patrick
The AASL staff member that Patrick reached was new and did not have information. He will report to the group via email when he gets a response from the staff member with knowledge about the program.

c. University of North Texas Fountain of Youth scholarship - Lauren

The UNT staff that Lauren talked to were not at the school when this scholarship was offered, so they had little knowledge of it. We will not pursue it as the focus of the scholarship was tuition and school expenses.

3. Social media/twitter groups valuable to students and early career ALSC members -Ted

Before the meeting, Ted reported via email that Dan confirmed that Twitter ALSC chats and Facebook ALA Think Tank, Facebook Storytime Underground are the main places where students connect on social media. Dan suggested we might want to consider the ways LIS programs themselves use social media, if at all. LIS faculty may be able to tell us about their programs' use (or absence) of social media for students. Ted offered to conduct a survey of LIS programs social media presence and what is/isn't used by their students. Diane noted that a school’s official social media channel typically targets alumni or is used for recruitment, not to reach current students. Kenneth will talk to LISSA.

4. Revisions to Pilot Program Design

Revisions were made to the proposal working document.

  • Application: Be sure to note the 100 cap on the application. If we have over 100 applicants, Dan suggested we reach out to all applicants who didn’t get into the program.

  • Budget: Must include a “price tag” for the program. We could put together a couple different scenarios.

  • Benefits: Could a low # of applicants mean stipends for recipients? Should we offer some incentives as a random lottery among all recipients? We should focus on promoting all the opportunities for travel stipends instead of complicating this program.

  • Renewals after program end: Do we want to offer an incentive to the first five participants to renew after the two years are up?

  • Assessment: Good survey question for baseline: “What is the problem that membership can solve for you?”

  • Is there a value in connecting recipients to each other? We will not share emails or create a new community online, but point them to existing communities. The recipients will also not be announced as if they received an award.  

  • Name: Current name is good: “ALSC Student Gift Membership Program”

  • Proposal document in memo form can be attached to the report form.

5. Q&A and Other Business

None

6. Review of New Action Items

Lauren - Application form?:: Make list of items to include
Ted - Promotion and Engagement: Begin compiling list of social media channels *for students* at GSLIS schools
Patrick - Report details on AASL Student Bridge Scholarship Program

Andrea - Promotion: Acquire ALSC office’s list of GSLIS programs
Kenneth - Assessment?:: Measures of success, questions we should ask on baseline and exit surveys

7. Next Meeting Date

Thursday, May 5, 2016 2:00pm CT

More...

Discussion ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 4/7/16 Meeting Agenda

by Andrea V. Johnson on Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 09:30 pm

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance

b. Introductions/Attendees  

c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

 

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance

b. Introductions/Attendees  

c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

 

2. Review of other professional associations offering gift memberships

a. NMRT membership offer and ALA Joint Student Membership Program - Andrea

b. AASL Student Bridge Scholarship Program - Patrick

c. University of North Texas Fountain of Youth scholarship - Lauren

 

3. Social media/twitter groups valuable to students and early career ALSC members -Ted

 

4. Revisions to Pilot Program Design

 

5. Q&A and Other Business

 

6. Review of New Action Items

 

7. Next Meeting Date

More...

Online Doc Student Gift Membership Task Force February 15 Report

by Andrea V. Johnson on Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 11:14 pm
Reporting Period*: February 15
Name of Committee or Task Force*: Student Gift Membership Task Force
Priority Group Area *: Organizational Support (PGC IV)
Current Chair(s)*: Andrea Vaughn Johnson
Chair's Email*: andreavaughnjohnson@gmail.com
Co-Chair's email (if applicable): n/a
Incoming Chair (if known): n/a
Reporting Period*: February 15
Name of Committee or Task Force*: Student Gift Membership Task Force
Priority Group Area *: Organizational Support (PGC IV)
Current Chair(s)*: Andrea Vaughn Johnson
Chair's Email*: andreavaughnjohnson@gmail.com
Co-Chair's email (if applicable): n/a
Incoming Chair (if known): n/a
Committee/Task Force Members*: Diane Bailey Foote 
Patrick J. Gall 
Lauren Magielnicki 
Ted McCoy 
Kenneth Roman
Has the committee recently reviewed its function statement to ensure the charge meets the responsibilities of the priority group area, recent changes to the professional environment, and facilitates the implementation of the ALSC Strategic Plan? Note: Recommendations should be submitted to Organizations & Bylaws. *: Yes
Summarize work accomplished, decisions reached, and follow-up action needed (objectives, timetable, and assignments) since your last meeting.*: The task force has had two virtual meetings on January 14 and 28, 2016. We reviewed our charge and the questions put to the task force. The discussion brought up more questions to explore and many possible resources to find answers. An attempted assessment of student population and needs revealed that there may not be national data on the number of students with a focus on children’s services. In a review of student and member surveys we saw a strong interest in the mentorship program and professional development opportunities. We have examined a student gift membership program offered by the Illinois Library Association and we are seeking similar programs in other professional associations. 

We have decided that a pilot gift membership program for recent graduates would be worthwhile and have begun work on a design to submit to the board by June 2016. It will include suggestions for the application process, special features of the gift membership, outreach and promotion to the school community, and assessment. We will continue to meet every 2-3 weeks until the work is completed.

Please describe the activities or resources the committee has created since the last report that have specifically supported and furthered ALSC’s Strategic Plan?http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/stratplan*: In a successful program, gift membership recipients will be active participants in ALSC activities and take advantage of professional development opportunities afforded by ALSC’s goal of improving member education. Success will also mean that recipients will renew their memberships and assist in recruiting new members.
Please list other ALSC committees you think you could collaborate with on issues or projects to help further your work:: We will continue to learn from the work of the Membership Committee and the mentorship program. We have reviewed the ALSC Membership Committee Student Membership Subcommittee’s ALSC Student Survey Subcommittee Report (Spring 2015) and exit surveys from the mentorship program. We also hope to learn from the Emerging Leaders team looking at other professional organizations.
Please list any suggestions you have for future education topics, publications, or online resources (such as toolkits) to be developed based on the committee’s work? Please be as detailed as possible.: Our program design will likely include an online application form for students and recent graduates. 

Regarding the question below asking if I reviewed the online orientation: The Process Chairs Orientation webinar is no longer operational. I reviewed the notes slides only.

If you are a virtual committee or task force, what is your primary method for holding meetings or communicating?: Google Hangouts
When you communicate electronically, how are you preserving the work of the committee for the next committee?*: Posting minutes in committee's ALA Connect space., Saving emails in folder to forward to next chair., Chair is printing copies of substantive email to send to the ALSC office for the archive.
For non book and media award chairs- Did you attend or watch the online committee/task force orientation?http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms(Award/Notable chairs attend a face-to-face orientation).*: No
If you are the chair of a virtual committee/task force, have you reviewed the resources available in the Best Practices for Virtual Committee Work wiki?http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms*: Yes
More...

Discussion ALSC Student Membership Task Force 1/28/16 Meeting Agenda

by Andrea V. Johnson on Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 07:26 pm

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and Introductions
a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance
b. Introductions/Attendees  
c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and Introductions
a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance
b. Introductions/Attendees  
c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

2. Review of ALSC mentoring program 
a. ALSC mentoring program exit surveys

3. Scan of other professional associations offering gift memberships
a. Emerging Leaders team project
b. Other professional associations and state associations
c. ALSC environmental scan

4. Review of GSLIS programs and students
a. Prism’s national enrollment stats
b. ALA accreditation office data 
c. LISSA listserv survey

5. Q&A and Other Business

6. Review of New Action Items

7. Next Meeting Date

 

More...

Pages

To explore the possibility of, and make recommendations regarding a pilot program that would offer the gift of ALA/ALSC memberships to children’s services-focused students graduating from ALA-accredited graduate schools of library and information science (GSLIS) with the objective of encouraging and supporting new professionals in their ALSC membership and engagement.

Subscribe to Student Gift Membership Task Force