Syndicate content

Student Gift Membership Task Force Community

In: Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC)
View:   Faces | List

Online Doc ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force Dec 15 2016 Report

by Andrea V. Johnson on Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:34 am

Reporting Period*: December 15

Name of Committee or Task Force*: Student Gift Membership Task Force

Priority Group Area *: Organizational Support (PGC IV)

Current Chair(s)*: Andrea Vaughn Johnson

Chair's Email*: andreavaughnjohnson@gmail.com

Co-Chair's email (if applicable): n/a

Incoming Chair (if known): n/a

Reporting Period*: December 15

Name of Committee or Task Force*: Student Gift Membership Task Force

Priority Group Area *: Organizational Support (PGC IV)

Current Chair(s)*: Andrea Vaughn Johnson

Chair's Email*: andreavaughnjohnson@gmail.com

Co-Chair's email (if applicable): n/a

Incoming Chair (if known): n/a

Committee/Task Force Members*:
Andrea Vaughn Johnson (Chair, December 17, 2015, to July 31, 2019)
Patrick J. Gall (Member, November 29, 2015, to July 31, 2019)
Ms. Lauren Magielnicki (Member, November 24, 2015, to July 31, 2019)
Ted McCoy (Member, October 13, 2015, to July 31, 2019)
Kenneth Roman (Member, December 5, 2015, to July 31, 2019)
Brittany A. Tavernaro (Member Liaison, September 21, 2016, to June 30, 2019)
Julie Dietzel-Glair (Consultant, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
Karen Ann MacPherson (Board Liaison, September 21, 2016, to June 30, 2019)

Has the committee recently reviewed its function statement to ensure the charge meets the responsibilities of the priority group area, recent changes to the professional environment, and facilitates the implementation of the ALSC Strategic Plan? Note: Recommendations should be submitted to Organizations & Bylaws. *: Yes

Summarize work accomplished, decisions reached, and follow-up action needed (objectives, timetable, and assignments) since your last meeting.*: The task force met monthly this fall to create a promotion plan and work out logistics of the application and processing memberships. In early November we alerted several ALA entities and GSLIS contacts that the program would be announced Dec 1. Within five days of the announcement on ALSC-L, we received over 200 applicants for the program! Our work quickly shifted from promotion to reviewing applications so that they could be processed quickly. Dan Bostrom has done a tremendous amount of work for this program, from creating the online form and press release, to ironing out details with the membership office, to overseeing the processing of the applications. We are grateful for his help and expertise. Our next step is to provide a personal contact to each of the 100 recipients. We will divide them among the task force members and send periodic check-in emails with ALSC opportunities and encouragement. We also plan to contribute a post to the ALSC blog about the program.

Please describe the activities or resources the committee has created since the last report that have specifically supported and furthered ALSC’s Strategic Plan? http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/stratplan*: We are thrilled that the 100 gift memberships will boost membership numbers. We intend to make sure recipients are aware of professional development opportunities to further ALSC’s goal of improving member education.

Please list other ALSC committees you think you could collaborate with on issues or projects to help further your work: We are following with interest the work of the ALSC Diversity Task Force to see how we could define success in recruiting a diverse group of recipients, to support ALSC's Goal 4: "Create resources to assist libraries in recruiting, developing, and retaining diverse highly qualified individuals who specialize in library service to children and reflect increasingly diverse communities."

Please list any suggestions you have for future education topics, publications, or online resources (such as toolkits) to be developed based on the committee’s work? Please be as detailed as possible.: We compiled a contact list of ALA divisions, committees, and round tables that could help us reach diverse populations with information about the program. Perhaps this list would be a useful document for the ALSC office to keep internally.

If you could recommend a research topic, pertaining to the realm of your committee’s work, to an academic colleague, what would you request s/he research and why? (In other words, what gaps in research do you see in this particular area?): No recommendations at this time.

If you are a virtual committee or task force, what is your primary method for holding meetings or communicating?: Email, Conference calls, Virtual meetings via Google Hangouts

When you communicate electronically, how are you preserving the work of the committee for the next committee?*: Posting minutes in committee's ALA Connect space., Saving emails in folder to forward to next chair.

For non book and media award chairs- Did you attend or watch the online committee/task force orientation? http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms (Award/Notable chairs attend a face-to-face orientation).*: Yes

If you are the chair of a virtual committee/task force, have you reviewed the resources available in the Best Practices for Virtual Committee Work wiki? http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms*: Yes

More...

Discussion ALSC Student Membership Task Force 12/16/16 Meeting Agenda

by Andrea V. Johnson on Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 10:38 pm

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

iday, December 16, 2016 3:00 p.m. CST

 

Meeting Agenda

 

1. Welcome and introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance

b. Introductions/Attendees  

c. Revisions/Additions to agenda

 

2. Project update

 

3. ALSC blog post ideas

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

iday, December 16, 2016 3:00 p.m. CST

 

Meeting Agenda

 

1. Welcome and introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance

b. Introductions/Attendees  

c. Revisions/Additions to agenda

 

2. Project update

 

3. ALSC blog post ideas

 

4. Next steps

 

5. Q&A and other business

 

6. Scheduling 2017 meeting dates

 

More...

Discussion ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 11/18/16 Meeting Notes

by Andrea V. Johnson on Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 09:22 pm

ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 11/18/16 Meeting Notes

 

Welcome and Introductions:

__ Karen volunteered to take notes

__ All task members present except for Lauren; we did a brief round of introductions

__ No revisions or additions to the agenda

 

Review Online Form:

ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 11/18/16 Meeting Notes

 

Welcome and Introductions:

__ Karen volunteered to take notes

__ All task members present except for Lauren; we did a brief round of introductions

__ No revisions or additions to the agenda

 

Review Online Form:

__ Questions were raised about whether a second address line was required and if the list of MLIS programs could be put in alphabetical order. Dan said he would make fixes, consulting with Andrea.

__ Andrea asked if the form is ADA compliant. Dan said it should be because it is hosted by the ALA website, which is ADA compliant, but that he would double-check

 

Review ALSC Press Release:

__ A question was raised as to whether it was necessary to note the eligibility criteria twice; it was agreed that it can’t hurt!

__ A suggestion was made and accepted to add a sentence or two about the “rolling” nature of the acceptances, and how quickly applicants might get a reply.

__ A suggestion was made and accepted to add a line noting the Friends of ALSC as the sponsors of the gift memberships.

__ Andrea will make edits, working with Dan.

 

Report Back on Promo Outreach Response:

__ Those groups contacted indicated a willingness to share the news about the ALSC student gift memberships. Some groups, however, haven’t responded yet (i.e. some roundtable and membership groups). Andrea asked task force members to note on the spreadsheet if there are any bounce-backs from the contacts.

__ It was agreed that the task force would send the groups another email; Andrea said she will write another “template” email to send, which could link to an ALSC Blog post on the gift memberships. Dan will write that ALSC Blog post, which will likely be published on Dec. 4. Brittany said she would confirm that one of her professors would write a guest blog post about the value of the student gift memberships.

__ It was noted that ALSC Pres.-elect Nina Lindsay recommended also using Twitter and Facebook to make sure the word gets out

__ Andrea said she would add a line in the press release asking folks to share the news about the gift memberships. Andrea also said she would write a sample Tweet.

__ The webpage with the info about the gift memberships, plus the online application form, will go live on Dec. 1. At that point, Andrea will send out a “kick-off” email to the ALSC listserv. ALSC will post on the blog Dec 4.

 

Application Review Process:

__ When people apply, their applications will be sent to Andrea and Dan. Andrea will double-check the eligibility of the applicant; Dan will then send the names of those eligible applicants to the membership office, which will process them.

__If Andrea and Dan are overloaded with applications, they will begin sharing the load with other task force members.

__ Those given the gift memberships will receive the regular “welcome package” from ALA and ALSC. The new members also will receive welcome emails from the ALSC membership committee; Dan noted that the idea is to “inundate” new members with welcome messages from ALSC. It was agreed that task force members also will send a “brief, warm and casual” welcome email and offer to keep in contact, answer questions, etc. Andrea will divide up the applicant names to share among task force members for this email effort.

 

Review of New Action Items:

__ After the gift membership webpage goes live on Dec. 1, task force members will send that information to their contacts, using a template email drafted by Andrea

__Andrea will draft a new template for the announcement email, and a sample tweet for Twitter users

 

Next Meeting Date:

__ Friday, Dec. 16, 3 p.m CST

 

More...

Discussion ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 11/18/16 Meeting Agenda

by Andrea V. Johnson on Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 10:15 pm

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
 Friday, November 18, 2016 3:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
 Friday, November 18, 2016 3:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance

b. Introductions/Attendees  

c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

2. Review online form

3. Review ALSC press release

4. Report back on promotion outreach responses

5. Application review process

6. Q&A and other business

7. Review of new action items

8. Next meeting date:
 Friday, December 16 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

More...

Discussion ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 10/21/16 Meeting Notes

by Andrea V. Johnson on Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 10:35 am

ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 10/21/16 Meeting Notes

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance - Patrick

b. Introductions/Attendees -

ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 10/21/16 Meeting Notes

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance - Patrick

b. Introductions/Attendees -

New members:
Board Liaison Karen MacPherson,
Takoma Park Maryland Library,
Membership Committee liaison Brittany Tavernaro, graduate school at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville for school media.

Attendees:Patrick, Andrea, Brittany, Kenneth

c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda - none

 

2. Promotion campaign
Lauren got some tips from the Public Awareness Committee. They suggested we ask a professor to be a guest blogger to promote the SGM program and the benefits of ALSC membership in early career. Brittany will ask one of her professors.

a. Promo copy - Andrea sent Dan copy/blurb to use in ALSC press release, webpage, newsletter.

Dan will write up a planning document for the promotional campaign.

b. Review planning document - ALSC Student Gift Membership Promotion Plan DRAFT in Google Drive

c. Assign tasks We assigned the emails we plan to send to other committees.
- Patrick will divide his list of committee contacts among himself, Andrea, Kenneth, Ted, Lauren, and Brittany.
- Kenneth will divide the ALSC school contacts among himself, Patrick, Andrea, Ted, Lauren, and Brittany.

3. Logistics

a. Rolling applications, reaching max - Pros to rolling applications: recipients don’t have to wait and easier on ALSC office. Cons: not as neat for communication, assessment. Does this make sense? Yes, rolling applications are better. May take a week or two to batch new memberships. TF will contact new members once a month. Once we reach 100 applicants ALSC will close online form and post a message.

b. Current members - ALA members who joined within last 6 months can get SGM; ALA can process a partial refund.

c. ALA Chapters Office program - Their Joint Membership Program will be simultaneous with SGM.

 

4. Reaching Diverse Student Populations

We are following the work of the ALSC Diversity Task Force, who are working on an ethnicity/race survey of ALSC membership. We need to ask them: What does success look like?

 

5. Q&A and Other Business

 

6. Review of New Action Items

Patrick will divide his list of ALA committee contacts among six task force members
Kenneth will divide the school contacts among six task force members

All - Check your assignments in the ALSC Student Gift Membership Promotion Plan DRAFTto

i. Send intro email to your assigned ALA committee and school contacts by early November

ii. Send official announcement - another email to your ALA contacts and school contacts with link to live page/application, press release, promotional copy, etc. in early December

Brittany - ask Ed committee if their school contact list overlaps with ALSC or do they have other contacts?Brittany - ask her professor about doing a guest post on ALSC blog about the SGM and benefits of ALSC membership in early career. 
Andrea - share our email template and include language about diversity 
Andrea - Ask Dan if any updates to ALSC school contact list

 
7. Next Meeting Dates 

iday, November 18 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts
iday, December 16 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

 

More...

Discussion ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 10/21/16 Meeting Agenda

by Andrea V. Johnson on Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 10:03 pm

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
iday, October 21, 2016 3:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
iday, October 21, 2016 3:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance

b. Introductions/Attendees  

c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

 

2. Promotion campaign

a. Promo copy

b. Review planning document  

c. Assign tasks

 

3. Logistics
a. Rolling applications, reaching max

b. Current members

c. ALA Chapters Office program

4. Reaching Diverse Student Populations

5. Q&A and Other Business

6. Review of New Action Items


7. Next Meeting Dates
iday, November 18 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts
Friday, December 16 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

More...

Discussion ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 9/23/16 Meeting Notes

by Andrea V. Johnson on Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 10:40 pm

ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 9/23/16 Meeting Notes

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance - Andrea

b. Introductions/Attendees  - Patrick, Andrea
c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda - none

2. Updates from ALSC

ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 9/23/16 Meeting Notes

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance - Andrea

b. Introductions/Attendees  - Patrick, Andrea
c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda - none

2. Updates from ALSC

- New charge - three year appointment to June 2019. Members do have the option to step down after one or two years if your situation changes and you cannot stay on until summer 2019.

- New board rep and member from membership committee will be announced soon. Diane term on board has ended but she will be available for consultation if needed. (Thanks, Diane!)
- Our new charge has been finalized and was sent to the members. Budget was adjusted $11,200.
On the charge were the ALSC Board’s questions to be addressed:
- Is there a way to determine how many students are focusing on youth services? We could not fund data but we should try to pursue it further.
- Will we make attempts to reach diverse student populations? Yes. Ideas below in Item #3.
- We must determine a permanent funding source as part of final report (due June 1 2019 in lieu of May report). We will talk to budget committee well before deadline for report.

3. Review of timeline
- Announce program Dec 1, 2016. Application deadline March 1, 2017. Recipients receive award letter by April 1, 2017; a two-year gift membership will begin immediately.


4. Promotional Materials

a. ALSC webpage and online form

- We need to send ALSC content for a landing page and online form. Dan can easily turn a Word doc into a form.

Samples of ALSC webpages and online forms (please note, some are ongoing and some are closed):

- Bechtel Fellowship page: http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/profawards/bechtel

- Institute scholarship page and form:

http://www.ala.org/alsc/institutescholarship

http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/K1fWYeapXg2fv7CFPk

- ALSC Mentoring Program – Fall 2016 Mentee application:http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/7e2em4Ee4bq

- Penguin Random House Young Readers Group award form:http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/dH1XemZl0eby21

- Application for ALA/ALSC rep to USBBY form: http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/7r0Sid21U2c49qm61db8wRk0d
- We like the simplicity of the Bechtel form.
- Can we ask for race/ethnicity on form? - what would that look like? Is it on ALA membership form? No.
>Ask Dan - does ALA or ALSC track demographics on race/ethnicity? How can we measure our success in reaching a diverse group of students?

b. social media posts, listservs, and direct emails

c. printable flier

Before mid October, write up a description and send to Dan. Task Force can look it over in mid-Nov and Dan can print 500 to distribute at Midwinter.  
> Dan - Does ALSC have a copywriter, or can we borrow copy from the ALS student member application form?

5. Partners in Promotion
- Our new member appointed from Membership Committee can tell us how that committee can help promote (Brittany)

- Contact Public Awareness Comm to make them aware of program and ask how they can help promote

- Contact NMRT (Andrea)

- Contact ALA Chapters Relations Office / student chapters to make them aware of program and ask how they can help promote. (student member portal, email list, wiki, etc.) Are there student chapter events at Midwinter? (Andrea)

- Contact Black Caucus, Chinese Am Library Assoc, Reforma, etc. to make them aware of program and ask for advice on maximizing reach to diverse student populations, ask for help with getting word out. (Patrick will build a list, contact them)

- Ask Membership Comm chair what they’ve learned after looking into how to work with LIS schools exhibiting at Midwinter. (Brittany) Patrick will be at Midwinter and can help with in-person stuff, like bringing them printed fliers.
- Other ideas for groups we should reach out to?

6. Q&A and Other Business

None


7. Review of New Action Items


> Andrea will contact NMRT, ALA Chapters Relations Office
> Patrick will compile a list of ALA divisions and round tables that might help with reaching diverse students and new graduates.
> Brittany - report back on what Membership Committee has learned after they looked into how to work with LIS schools exhibiting at Midwinter. For example: Are there mechanisms in place for giving them fliers? What are the programs/events attended by LIS instructors where we can distribute our fliers?
> NEED A VOLUNTEER to contact Public Awareness Committee to make them aware of the program and ask how they can help promote it in December.

8. Next Meeting Date

Andrea will ask everyone to send their Friday afternoon conflicts through December.



More...

Discussion ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 9/23/16 Meeting Agenda

by Andrea V. Johnson on Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 12:10 am

ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts) 
Friday, Sept 23, 2016 at 3:00pm CT
 

Agenda

1. Welcome and Introductions
a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance
b. Introductions/Attendees  
c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

2. Updates from ALSC

3. Review of Timeline

ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts) 
Friday, Sept 23, 2016 at 3:00pm CT
 

Agenda

1. Welcome and Introductions
a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance
b. Introductions/Attendees  
c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

2. Updates from ALSC

3. Review of Timeline

4. Promotional Materials
a. ALSC webpage and online form 
b. social media posts, listservs, and direct emails 
c. printable flier

5. Partners in Promotion

6. Q&A and Other Business

7. Review of New Action Items

8. Next Meeting Date

More...

Online Doc Student Gift Membership Task Force September 15 Report

by Andrea V. Johnson on Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 09:05 pm
Reporting Period*: September 15
Name of Committee or Task Force*: Student Gift Membership Task Force
Priority Group Area *: Organizational Support (PGC IV)
Current Chair(s)*: Andrea Vaughn Johnson
Chair's Email*: andreavaughnjohnson@gmail.com
Co-Chair's email (if applicable):
Reporting Period*: September 15
Name of Committee or Task Force*: Student Gift Membership Task Force
Priority Group Area *: Organizational Support (PGC IV)
Current Chair(s)*: Andrea Vaughn Johnson
Chair's Email*: andreavaughnjohnson@gmail.com
Co-Chair's email (if applicable): andreavaughnjohnson@gmail.com
Incoming Chair (if known): n/a
Committee/Task Force Members*: Ms. Andrea Vaughn Johnson (Chair, December 17, 2015, to July 31, 2017)
Diane Bailey Foote (Member, October 13, 2015, to July 31, 2017)
Mr. Patrick J. Gall (Member, November 29, 2015, to July 31, 2017)
Ms. Lauren Magielnicki (Member, November 24, 2015, to July 31, 2017)
Mr. Ted McCoy (Member, October 13, 2015, to July 31, 2017)
Kenneth Roman (Member, December 5, 2015, to July 31, 2017)
Julie Dietzel-Glair (Consultant, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
Has the committee recently reviewed its function statement to ensure the charge meets the responsibilities of the priority group area, recent changes to the professional environment, and facilitates the implementation of the ALSC Strategic Plan? Note: Recommendations should be submitted to Organizations & Bylaws.*: Yes
Summarize work accomplished, decisions reached, and follow-up action needed (objectives, timetable, and assignments) since your last meeting.*: Since our last meeting in May 2016, we wrote up our recommendations in a final report for the ALSC board. I attended the board meeting at Annual to answer questions about our report. The board decided to go forward with a two-year pilot and renewed our charge for another year. All the task force members have agreed to continue, and ALSC will appoint someone from the membership committee to join us. I have a call scheduled with Dan BostromSept 16 to help me prepare for the team's first meeting on Sept 22.
Please describe the activities or resources the committee has created since the last report that have specifically supported and furthered ALSC’s Strategic Plan?http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/stratplan*: One of our goals is to see the gift membership recipients become active participants in ALSC activities and take advantage of professional development opportunities afforded by ALSC’s goal of improving member education. A great suggestion by the board to attempt to reach minority students will support one of ALSC's Goal 4: "Create resources to assist libraries in recruiting, developing, and retaining diverse highly qualified individuals who specialize in library service to children and reflect increasingly diverse communities."
Please list other ALSC committees you think you could collaborate with on issues or projects to help further your work:: We anticipate that our new appointee from the membership committee will have helpful feedback on our plan. AASL, the ALA Chapter Relations Office, and the student chapter of NMRT will be helpful in the outreach phase.
Please list any suggestions you have for future education topics, publications, or online resources (such as toolkits) to be developed based on the committee’s work? Please be as detailed as possible.: No suggestions at this time.
If you could recommend a research topic, pertaining to the realm of your committee’s work, to an academic colleague, what would you request s/he research and why? (In other words, what gaps in research do you see in this particular area?): One of the first questions we will have to address is how to reach minority students and recent graduates. Hopefully this data is readily available.
If you are a virtual committee or task force, what is your primary method for holding meetings or communicating?: Email, Video meetings using Google Hangouts
When you communicate electronically, how are you preserving the work of the committee for the next committee?*: Posting minutes in committee's ALA Connect space., Saving emails in folder to forward to next chair., Saving documents in Google Drive
For non book and media award chairs- Did you attend or watch the online committee/task force orientation?http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms(Award/Notable chairs attend a face-to-face orientation).*: Yes
If you are the chair of a virtual committee/task force, have you reviewed the resources available in the Best Practices for Virtual Committee Work wiki?http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms*: Yes

 

 

 

 

More...

Online Doc Student Gift Membership Task Force May 15 Report

by Andrea V. Johnson on Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:52 pm
Reporting Period*: May 15
Name of Committee or Task Force*: ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force
Priority Group Area *: Organizational Support (PGC IV)
Current Chair(s)*: Andrea Vaughn Johnson
Chair's Email*: andreavaughnjohnson@gmail.com
Co-Chair's email (if applicable): n/a
Reporting Period*: May 15
Name of Committee or Task Force*: ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force
Priority Group Area *: Organizational Support (PGC IV)
Current Chair(s)*: Andrea Vaughn Johnson
Chair's Email*: andreavaughnjohnson@gmail.com
Co-Chair's email (if applicable): n/a
Incoming Chair (if known): n/a
Committee/Task Force Members*: Diane Bailey Foote 
Mr. Patrick J. Gall 
Ms. Lauren Magielnicki 
Mr. Ted McCoy 
Kenneth Roman
Has the committee recently reviewed its function statement to ensure the charge meets the responsibilities of the priority group area, recent changes to the professional environment, and facilitates the implementation of the ALSC Strategic Plan? Note: Recommendations should be submitted to Organizations & Bylaws. *: Yes
Summarize work accomplished, decisions reached, and follow-up action needed (objectives, timetable, and assignments) since your last meeting.*: Since the last quarterly report, the task force has met virtually on 2/18, 3/17, 4/6, and 5/5. In addition, I have checked in monthly with Dan Bostrom by phone to discuss our progress. The task force has finalized their recommendations for a pilot program, and I am working on having the final report for the board in early June. 

We have gotten feedback and advice from the NMRT student chapter, as well as valuable insight by investigating two similar programs: the ALA Joint Student Membership Program (run out of the ALA Chapter Relations Office) and the AASL Student Bridge Scholarship Program. We have collected contact information for GSLIS programs and the best avenues for outreach and promotion. An assessment plan has also been developed.

Please describe the activities or resources the committee has created since the last report that have specifically supported and furthered ALSC’s Strategic Plan?http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/stratplan*: We continue to develop a program design that will encourage recipients of the gift membership to take advantage of professional development opportunities, which will support ALSC’s goal of improving member education.
Please list other ALSC committees you think you could collaborate with on issues or projects to help further your work:: The ALSC Membership Committee would be a natural partner in launching a Student Gift Membership program. 

AASL, the ALA Chapter Relations Office, and the student chapter of NMRT may be helpful in the outreach phase.

Please list any suggestions you have for future education topics, publications, or online resources (such as toolkits) to be developed based on the committee’s work? Please be as detailed as possible.: We plan to compile and share resources of special interest to early career librarians with the recipients. Topics will include financial aid opportunities for conference attendance, job search support, and professional development opportunities.
If you could recommend a research topic, pertaining to the realm of your committee’s work, to an academic colleague, what would you request s/he research and why? (In other words, what gaps in research do you see in this particular area?): We were unable to find data on the number of U.S. graduate students with a focus in youth services. Identifying the number of students outside of formal school media certification programs may not be possible.
If you are a virtual committee or task force, what is your primary method for holding meetings or communicating?: Google Hangout video conference calls
When you communicate electronically, how are you preserving the work of the committee for the next committee?*: Posting minutes in committee's ALA Connect space., Saving emails in folder to forward to next chair.
For non book and media award chairs- Did you attend or watch the online committee/task force orientation?http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms(Award/Notable chairs attend a face-to-face orientation).*: No
If you are the chair of a virtual committee/task force, have you reviewed the resources available in the Best Practices for Virtual Committee Work wiki?http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms*: Yes
More...

Pages

To explore the possibility of, and make recommendations regarding a pilot program that would offer the gift of ALA/ALSC memberships to children’s services-focused students graduating from ALA-accredited graduate schools of library and information science (GSLIS) with the objective of encouraging and supporting new professionals in their ALSC membership and engagement.

Subscribe to Student Gift Membership Task Force