RUSA STARS (Sharing and Transforming Access to Resource Section) Section

Closed group
In: Cooperation, RUSA STARS (Sharing and Transforming Access to Resources Section), Reference & User Services Association (RUSA) -- Sections
748 members  |  About this group  |   Syndicate content
View:   Faces | List

Discussion STARS Events at ALA Annual in Las Vegas

by Nora Dethloff on Fri, May 23, 2014 at 09:29 pm

STARS Events at ALA Annual 2014, Las Vegas Nevada

STARS 10th Anniversary Party:  All are welcome as we celebrate 10 years of STARS! Fri, June 27, 7 p.m. at Bahama Breeze Island Grille, 375 Hughes Center Drive, Las Vegas.

STARS All Committee Meeting:  Sat, June 28, 8:30 to 10 a.m., Las Vegas Hotel, Ballroom G

STARS Events at ALA Annual 2014, Las Vegas Nevada

STARS 10th Anniversary Party:  All are welcome as we celebrate 10 years of STARS! Fri, June 27, 7 p.m. at Bahama Breeze Island Grille, 375 Hughes Center Drive, Las Vegas.

STARS All Committee Meeting:  Sat, June 28, 8:30 to 10 a.m., Las Vegas Hotel, Ballroom G

  • Boucher Award Committee
  • Codes, Guidelines, & Technical Standards Committee
  • Education & Training Committee
  • Interlibrary Loan Committee
  • International ILL Committee
  • Legislation and Licensing Committee
  • Membership Committee
  • Organization Committee
  • Research and Assessment Committee
  • STARS / Atlas Systems Mentoring Award Committee
  • Vendor Relations Committee

ILL Discussion Group:  Sat, June 28, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Las Vegas Convention Center, N258

Code4ILL: How to Grow Your Own Innovation for Resource Sharing:  Sat, June 28, 1 to 2:30 p.m., Las Vegas Convention Center, S228

Finding Dead People: Genealogy and Local History Resources for the ILL Practitioner:  Sat, June 28, 3 to 4 p.m., Las Vegas Convention Center, N232

Hot Topics Discussion Group:  Sat, June 28, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., Las Vegas Convention Center, N237

STARS Rethinking Resource Sharing Policies Committee Meeting:  Sun, June 29, 8:30 to 10 a.m., Las Vegas Hotel, Conference Room 03

STARS Leadership Orientation:  Sun, June 29, 8:30 to 10 a.m., Caesar’s Palace, Capri

LLAMA SASS / RUSA STARS Consortial Borrowing Committee Meeting:  Sun, June 29, 3 to 4 p.m., Las Vegas Hotel, Conference Room 04

STARS Board Meeting:  Mon, June 30, 8:30 to 10 a.m., Las Vegas Convention Center, N204

More...

Discussion HOW’S YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER?

by Cheryl Blevens on Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 03:15 pm

(Kindly forgive cross-posting.)

The New Members Round Table offers a free Resume Review Service, Saturday, June 28 and Sunday, June 29, from 9:00 – 5:00, in the ALA Joblist Placement Center at the 2014 ALA Annual Conference in Las Vegas!

A schedule of reviewers (with library type and specialization) will be posted on the RRS site a few days prior to the conference. You may want to look at the schedule and jot down a few possible times.

(Kindly forgive cross-posting.)

The New Members Round Table offers a free Resume Review Service, Saturday, June 28 and Sunday, June 29, from 9:00 – 5:00, in the ALA Joblist Placement Center at the 2014 ALA Annual Conference in Las Vegas!

A schedule of reviewers (with library type and specialization) will be posted on the RRS site a few days prior to the conference. You may want to look at the schedule and jot down a few possible times.

Once at the conference, stop by the Resume Review Service (located inside the ALA Placement Center). At that time, you may make an appointment to see a reviewer or if one is available, you could meet then. Appointments usually fill up quickly, so be sure to make an appointment as early as you can.

Try to be a few minutes early for your appointment. If you are more than 5 minutes late, we cannot guarantee that your appointment will be held. Should you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment, please stop by and let us know.

Appointments are 30 minutes long. Bring copies of your cover letter and/or resume. If applicable, it would be helpful to bring a copy of the job ad. After reading over your resume and/or cover letter, your reviewer will probably ask you a few questions and will probably comment on format, grammar, punctuation, and overall strengths and weaknesses of your documents.

Please be courteous and keep your meeting to the 30 minute limit.

If you would like a second opinion, you may schedule another appointment with a different reviewer (schedule permitting).

The last appointments are 30 minutes before closing each day.

If you have questions, please contact the NMRT Resume Review Service Co-chairs, Cheryl Blevens and Nicole Spoor, at nmrtrrs@yahoo.com.

 

 

More...

Event STARS All Committee Meeting

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 01:25 pm

Open meeting time shared by many of RUSA/STARS committees

More information about this conference session

Discussion STARS Board Meeting, March 11, 2pm Eastern.

by David Atkins on Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:38 am

On Monday March 11 @ 2pm Eastern, the STARS Board (officers, committee chairs, and RUSA representatives) will have a monthly meeting.

 

These meetings are open to anyone to attend.  Below please find the log in instructions.  Please RSVP at http://doodle.com/t2qbuitz8yixusms

 

STARS Board Meeting

On Monday March 11 @ 2pm Eastern, the STARS Board (officers, committee chairs, and RUSA representatives) will have a monthly meeting.

 

These meetings are open to anyone to attend.  Below please find the log in instructions.  Please RSVP at http://doodle.com/t2qbuitz8yixusms

 

STARS Board Meeting

Monday, March 11 2013

Agenda

 

1.Minutes om ALA Midwinter (All Committee and Board Meetings) Robin Moskal

2. Section Review (see attached)  Practice voting

3. STARS Webinar Updates 

     A.  Free Webinars for Members.  1 from each section

     B.  Two Proposals

          i.  Education and Training

          ii. International ILL

4. Program Assessment Update (Atkins)

5. STARS 10th Anniversary, Annual 2014, Las Vegas (discussion)

6. Programming for 2014:  Needs ideas and proposals (Atkins)

7. Using ALA Collaborate for your committees (Demo)

8. New Business/Matters Arising 

 

Please pass along any additional agenda items.

 

Here are the log in instructions:

 

Please use this URL to access our meeting: http://tinyurl.com/rusa-room-1 When it asks for a login, enter your name.

 

Please try to arrive 5-10 minutes early to test your audio, which you can do once in the system by going to Tools -> Audio -> Audio Set Up Wizard. Please test your audio upon entering.

 

Headsets are preferred, but there is also a toll-free conference number available:

1-866-718-7314

PIN: 91920045#

 

You can test your system’s compatibility here: http://support.blackboardcollaborate.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=...

More...

Discussion STARS Board Meeting, Monday May 13, 2013.

by David Atkins on Mon, May 13, 2013 at 12:15 pm

STARS Board Meeting, May 13, 2013

2:00-3:00 PM Eastern

Agenda

1. March meeting minutes

2. Election Results

3. RUSA Update

4. Webinar Updates

5. Program Assessment Update: Midwinter into Annual

6. Possible Changes in Committee Charges: Research and Statistics

7. Good-bye Blackboard, Hello Adobe: ALAs New Online meeting platform

8. Annual Announcements:  Meetings, Social, etc.

STARS Board Meeting, May 13, 2013

2:00-3:00 PM Eastern

Agenda

1. March meeting minutes

2. Election Results

3. RUSA Update

4. Webinar Updates

5. Program Assessment Update: Midwinter into Annual

6. Possible Changes in Committee Charges: Research and Statistics

7. Good-bye Blackboard, Hello Adobe: ALAs New Online meeting platform

8. Annual Announcements:  Meetings, Social, etc.

9. Annual Meeting Agenda and Business items?

10.Matters Arising?

More...

Discussion STARS Board Meeting Minutes, ALA Midwinter Seattle, 1/28.2013

by David Atkins on Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:42 am

STARS Executive Board meeting  1/28/13

STARS Executive Board meeting  1/28/13


ALA Midwinter - Seattle

Attending:
David Atkins - Chair
Nora Dethloff - Vice Chair
Robin Moskal - Secretary
Kerry Keegan - newsletter editor
Noriko Sugie (guest)
Joanne McIntire -
Jeanne Voyles - ILL Committee
Candice Townsend - CODES Guidelines for Technical Services
Sydney Thompson - CODES/STARS Cooperative Collection Development
Jennifer Jacobs - Education and Training
Mary Radnor
Tom Bruno - International ILL
David Larsen (Member at Large)
Peter Collins - Joint Cooperative Remote Circulation

1) Welcome/Introductions:
David welcomed everyone to the meeting.  

2) The agenda was approved as is.

3) The minutes from Dec. 10 meeting approved, with one correction.
 
4) Report on RUSA Board meeting - David

  • There was discussion as to the point of Midwinter. RUSA says it's up to the sections as to what they decide to do. (BRASS doesn't attend midwinter) There was discussion as what more could be done if the Midwinter meeting is to continue.  Suggestions included adding more programming and changing the name from the Midwinter meeting to Midwinter conference?
  • What is keeping people active in RUSA. What does it do to keep you interested? Who is in RUSA?  (What is ALA doing to attract folks?)  mentorship, leadership, touching base with library schools.    David will be meeting later today with RUSA folks and will bring more info back to us.  He believes that the training and programing STARS does brings folks in, and cutting back on programs hurts.
  • Suggestion from the Membership committee- RUSA could help by providing a more sustainable toolkit to use to attract members.  David will share this with RUSA.   More information gathering will be requested from divisions. A dues increase is in the offing and it will be tied to the cost of living index rather than a set %.
  • Conference program planning committee folks - there is going to be a proposal that will outline the # of programs we hope to have at Annual, including division ones and then about 4 extras.  We don't know how many we can actually put forward.   (We all agreed that each division needs to have at least one program.)
  • Perhaps the president's program would be for a wider audience.  
  • They'll discuss further this afternoon.

5) Recap of the STARS All-STARS meeting on Saturday

  • Sherri Michaels has asked that any last comments from committee chairs on the evaluations should be in to her by Feb. 10.
  • Program planning is coming together quickly.
  • ALA is reducing the number of programs overall, so there are fewer slots to plug in to.
    • Every section will now get 1 program slot rather than 2, which will make it more competitive, so start thinking about programming.  
    • The deadline for STARS program proposals for webinars and ALA Annual is March 1 which will allow time for review by STARS Exec.
  • No dates for 2014 program proposals have been announced yet, probably March-April 2013.  
  • RUSA wants divisions to give free webinars; proposals need to be in by April 1.   
    • The webinars must be completed by Dec. 13, 2013.  
    • STARS will we have to manage everything, promotion, advertising, planning.
  • Today - ILL discussion group at 10:30, hot topics at 4:00, RUSA social at 6
  • We will need committee members for the coming year and Nora will be recruiting folks. No problem if you want to stick with a committee for a year or too longer.


Committee reports: Everyone is working to update the ShareILL wiki and completing Section reviews.

  • ILL Committee -  Program proposal for Chicago, "How will the current climate/trends in libraries influence/impact the future of resource sharing?" will move from a program to a presentation at the ILL Discussion Group.  Lars Leon will be a speaker and hope for someone else as well.  The format will be interactive- with facilitation and thought provoking discussion.      
  • Membership Committee - this year’s initiatives:
    • 5 new things resource  sharing folks should know
    • STAR Gazing - Nora and Heather interviews,
    • posting to facebook to generate interest,
    • tracking URLs in new member welcome emails.
    • more outreach to contact new members individually, to really personalize the experience.

Some webinar ideas - copyright and ILL for the patron, Purchase on demand for ILL -Articles vs. Loans

  • Licensing and Legislation  - continuing to monitor the Center for Copyright Information alert system.
  • Education and Training Committee
    • The free STARS preconference - " ILL101" had  60 attendees yesterday.
    • Webinar suggestions - "Genealogy through ILL, finding dead people" and "ILL cost studies"
  • International ILL Committee-  

·      

The international survey was well received.

o  

Tina Baich will be presenting some of the findings at the ILLiad conference.

o  

Poul presented in Reykjavik in October.

·      

wants to share the data more broadly, interested in following up on targeting some of the less represented libraries in south america, etc.

·      

International ILL webinar was suggested

·      

will talk to membership about reaching out to international STARS and others

  • Vendor Relations

·      

Clare McKeigan from Relais  -spoke at the ILL Discussion group program on ISO ILL

  • Organization Committee

o  

Research and Statistics panel program is planned for Sunday at ALA Annual in Chicago. On the panel are Margaret Ellingson, Colette Mak, and Charla Lancaster.

o  

STARSs website - can't update due to ALA website rules.

o  

ShareILL needs a new home, the wiki site isn't being supported and it isn't growing it as was hoped.  It may have to move to a total new system. ALA has a wiki site, not sure how good it is.  Kerry said she would float hosting with the Atlas folks.  If the whole site not branded as rusa/stars at least our parts could be branded with stars logo.  


6) RUSA Liaison updates


a) Nora Dethloff attended the RUSA budget and finance meeting yesterday where they reviewed Sept. - Nov. 2012 statistics.

  • most divisions have lost membership, but STARS is doing pretty well and the attrition rate isn't as bad as in other divisions, hopefully we'll attract new members with the Carnegie Award and programming.  
  • A strategic planning facilitator may come in to help. There will be a call for budget initiatives.  If we need to request funds for projects now is the time to do it.  
  • David said last year they talked about funds for socials but Nora says it wasn't discussed. (could be part of the funds for recruitment)

b) Organization and Planning - the Section review is almost ready - Sherri Michaels

c) A RUSA guidebook is being developed  which should provide guidelines on how things work.  4 chapters will be added between now and Annual - Standards and Guidelines, Sections, Budget and Program Planning.-   Mary Radnor

 

7) Reports re: Committees outside All-Committee Meeting and Special Projects


a) Joint Cooperative Remote Circulation - Peter Collins

  • The group has updated ShareILL links but hasn't been active beyond that.  Trying to determine what to do for Annual, and regroup.  Peter may not be getting all the STARS info and wants to make sure to stay engaged with STARS.
  • David suggested more cooperation between two groups to create a program, might bring in more folks if cross discipline.


b) Joint Cooperative Collection Development - Sydney Thompson

  • only one person from CODES attended the meeting.  
  • program at Annual - "enhancing services through integrations of  ILL and acquisitions"


c) Rethinking Resource Sharing - Tom Bruno reported

  • co-sponsoring (with ASCLA) a preconference at Annual “Discovery to Delivery” 6/28/13.  Anya Arnold from orbis cascade will be a speaker
  • the group moved their blog to reinvigorate content and are rethinking the twitter account.
  • talking about sponsoring webchat monthly


d) ILL Discussion Group meeting - 62 attendees

e) Hot Topics Discussion Group - Troy Christenson

  • 32 attendees at the Hot Topics discussion on Saturday.
  • Jesselyn Shaffer was elected  vice chair/chair elect
  • outlined 7 different topics –CCC Get It Now service, universal pick-up card, a few other topics.
  •    Troy will send out more minutes.   
  • There was a list of really good topics but didn't really get to discuss them, so next time might want to "vote" on which topics to discuss at the time.  
  • Recommend some mentorship for the new vice chair - how to facilitate a hot topics session.  There needs to be some pre-assessment of the hot topics, to narrow them down.  
  • Nora suggested an ice breaker to get folks talking first before the discussion begins. Kerry volunteered to help and Jeanne has some training tips she will share.
  • there had been a suggestion of merging ill discussion groups and hot topics - wouldn't want to lose the hot topics discussion as ILL moves more toward programming so they won’t be merged..
  • ILL discussion group programming was complemented, lightning talks especially. Will probably move more toward that - short interaction, lightning talks 
  • Tom Bruno took part in a 5 minute Ignite talk and said it was a great experience, like a talking poster session.  Suggested we might want to try something like that in STARS.
  • David suggested talking to Ryan, Jesselyn and Dallas - perhaps they might want to do something like these 5 minutes as well as longer talks - to shake it up. Jeanne will follow up with them too.


f) Program Assessment Work Group - David  

  • The new survey is available online and in paper with the standard evaluation form that can be used for all programs/meetings with spots for individual program questions.  http://wwwsurveymonkey.com/s/STARS_midwinter13
  • With program proposals you also will be following up on the evaluations, they go hand in hand.  And report back to STARS exec.


8) Programs for 2013 - all ready to roll

9) No action items from committees

10) Annual Conference schedule - David is sending out a call to all chairs to make sure room arrangements are figured out.

11) Matters arising -
Candice reported that the chair of the CODES Guidelines for Technical Services committee couldn't attend either meeting and is being pulled in too many directions. She recommends having a co-chair for the committee. Kerry said she would pull together a suggested guideline list of best practices for committees for everyone to review. David will touch base with the CGTS committee chair and will continue to suggest co chairing for other committees as well.

Question- how can folks attend the meetings remotely as there’s not always WiFi available in the meeting rooms. David will ask at the RUSA Board meeting what people can do to virtually attend their committee meetings and ALA.   (LITA live streams their top tech trends meeting LITA probably paid to host, but attendees didn't).  It was suggested that we could ask vendors to sponsor the wifi.

Discussion about committee members’ activity.  Sometimes people are active even if only virtually, but some members never participate at all - and the perception is that they are only on the committee to full tenure requirements.   David said that chairs of the committees need to track this non-activity as well as those who attended or are active.  He suggests that chairs send out RSVPs to determine whether folks are planning to attend  meetings, and then chairs would talk to David and Nora about their problem members.  Perhaps created a spreadsheet of members with info about who attends, why they couldn't attend (which could inform information about conference funding, etc) , who was active etc.   

Minutes respectfully submitted,
Robin Moskal, STARS Secretary
2/7/13

Adopted 3/11/13

More...

Discussion STARS Section Review Report

by David Atkins on Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 01:51 pm

STARS Section Review

 

Submitted by the STARS Section Review Task Force*:

 

STARS Section Review

 

Submitted by the STARS Section Review Task Force*:

 

David Atkins

Margaret Ellingson

Denise Forro

Sarah McHone-Chase

Sherri Michaels, Chair

Mary Radnor

Heather Weltin

 

 

*The Task Force would like to thank many STARS contributors for their help in compiling and reviewing this report, especially the STARS Executive Committee and all STARS committee chairs and members from 2011 and 2012.

 

Please use comments sections to share ideas, questions, etc.

More...

Event International ILL: A Global Perspective on Resource Sharing

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 01:09 am

Timezone:
US/Pacific (-7)

Timezone:
US/Pacific (-7)

Join the RUSA STARS International ILL Committee as they present their findings from a recent international survey of libraries regarding international interlibrary loan. This survey is a follow-up to their paper "Lending and Borrowing Across Borders: Issues and Challenges with International Resource Sharing" which focused on international ILL issues as they relate to U.S. libraries. In addition to presenting the survey results, Committee members will discuss challenges and possible solutions for international interlibrary loan as revealed by the survey.

More information about this conference session

More...

Event Leadership Orientation (RUSA STARS)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 01:07 am

Pages

Brings together librarians and library staff involved with interlibrary loan, document delivery, remote circulation, access services, cooperative reference, cooperative collection development, remote storage, and other shared library services as well as publishers, producers, and suppliers of products and services which support resource sharing activities.

Learn more about RUSA STARS on the ALA website.

Subscribe to RUSA STARS (Sharing and Transforming Access to Resource Section)